2017 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2017 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament

ALA2262
03-05-2017, 11:30 AM
March 8-12, 2017 - Bridgestone Arena - Nashville, Tenn.

http://www.secsports.com/championship/mens-basketball

GR8NESS
03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Was rooting hard for USC against Ole Miss last night to give us OM/UT instead of UGA/UT. Oh well... I can see UGA making a run.

MissKitty
03-06-2017, 05:27 PM
It will be interesting. I think several teams have a shot to win it this year, I'm not real confident in the Cats. I guess we'll see if Cal's "tweak" helps.

Bama_Man
03-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Does Bama, despite being the 5-seed, have to win it all to make tourney?

GR8NESS
03-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Does Bama, despite being the 5-seed, have to win it all to make tourney?

Yes. Your RPI is trash.

Dawg4life
03-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Is a tornado going to strike Nashville this week?

Kidding, but unless Maten can come back Thursday Georgia is in danger of losing in round 1. I haven't posted lately but I've cooled a little bit (and already wasn't very high on them anyway) after seeing how Georgia looks when Frazier is in major foul trouble. It's ugly. Get him in foul trouble and even if you're average you can blow out Georgia (and I'm not calling Arkansas average, but if Frazier is in the foul trouble he was in in that game in the previous games, Georgia gets blown out by Auburn and Alabama again).

Bama_Man
03-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Yes. Your RPI is trash.

Georgia has a 40 spot better RPI, how? Both have about same number of top 50 wins, SOS isn't that far apart, and approx same number of bad losses.

Dawg4life
03-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Georgia isn't in much better of a spot. Beat Kentucky and maybe you have a 50/50 shot at getting a play in game bid, but more likely at a minimum, get to Sunday at least is needed.

Maten will be back most likely tomorrow. I'm surprised. I thought the best case would be Friday if Georgia advanced. I think Georgia should win now tomorrow...so the third shot vs Kentucky is probably coming...yay. I actually said not long after that game that I would like to see a third chance with a more athletic player checking Monk (Parker was on him early in the 2nd half at Kentucky and he just doesn't have a shot, his Achilles injury slowed him down, you might as well not guard him instead of putting Parker on him but a change was made that helped) and Maten in but I'm not as sure as I was then.

(Although then again, it was Maten being out due to fouls and Frazier being allowed to play screen and roll after screen and roll that sparked the comeback vs Tennessee)

Dawg4life
03-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Pretty much the only good that came from this game from what I saw in the box score and heard on the radio (I couldn't stay home today), is minutes weren't too high and Maten was effective in his time on the floor.

SCgamecock2988
03-10-2017, 09:26 AM
We get another shot at Bama today after losing to them in 4OT in Columbia back in February. It'd be nice not to be one and done in the SECT..

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Whew. We finally come out and start a game well after a month of not doing it. Happy to beat UGA. Any game vs UGA is a war. They said on the telecast we have a 9 game winning streak vs UGA. We never lost to JJ Frazier in his career but most of those games were one possession wins. We are lucky. Glad we dont have to play against him ever again.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
I'd rather play Bama in the semis BTW, but either way itll be a game where the opponent will muck it up.

SCgamecock2988
03-10-2017, 03:57 PM
We're just not very good. Probably going to be one and done in both the SECT and NCAAT.

Dawg4life
03-10-2017, 10:47 PM
What I saw was exactly what I was afraid of. Georgia is worse offensively when they waver between playing high PNR and going through the post, I thought Frazier was going to collapse on the court from exhaustion (just had to do way too much after Maten went down, and did do it well but started running out of gas last week), and Maten was both rusty and maybe 50% at most.

Georgia was probably screwed anyway but combine that with they came out looking defeated from right at the beginning and very sluggish and you have this afternoon's game. I almost felt that I wanted my money back but I was able to watch that game and also accomplish everything I needed to do today so I'm good.

Bama_Man
03-12-2017, 09:49 PM
UGA and Bama both got screwed, by Kenpom. USC was lower than both on Kenpom.

Kenpom-Bama 54, UGA 57, USC 61.
RPI-USC-41, UGA-52, Bama-74

Providence too. UGA and Bama were better by Kenpom, UGA hadnhigher RPI than Providence and KSU, and Bama was higher on Kenpom.

Dawg4life
03-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Georgia needed to win their close games and have their coach not be as stubborn as he has been. And I'm not even meaning Kentucky or that road Florida game. I'm meaning the following:

Clemson
Oakland
Texas A&M

The Oakland and Texas A&M games were especially bad and mainly on stubbornness. Georgia's never been a good man to man team, but blew a double digit lead and actually ended up down double digits to Oakland while playing bad man to man defense. Texas A&M, if your inbound play isn't working, don't slam your head on the wall and shout "THIS IS THE PLAY", at least change the play.

That's really the only two games that were needed. Those are wins...you're probably in despite your unsexy resume. But no no no, I have to start with my boring "standards" until I realize that my team can't adhere to them and then change them later.

It's a shame, but this team wasn't as strong overall as last year, it was fairly similar to 12-13 but Frazier bailed them out in multiple games late, and that's not great especially against a mediocre and bad team (I don't consider Alabama either of those). It's a shame as the players are talented, but none of them fit what coach wants to do. Three players looking like busts in a class is a pattern.

The worst part about it is, I'm not sure it was like 12-13 in which the young players really showed development. Georgia's really not going to be in a good spot next year. Yante will probably be back, but guard play is vitally important...

GDawg88
03-13-2017, 09:36 AM
UGA and Bama both got screwed, by Kenpom. USC was lower than both on Kenpom.

Kenpom-Bama 54, UGA 57, USC 61.
RPI-USC-41, UGA-52, Bama-74

Providence too. UGA and Bama were better by Kenpom, UGA hadnhigher RPI than Providence and KSU, and Bama was higher on Kenpom.
USC did sweep us. I'm all for using metrics like KenPom and RPI as data points, but at the end of the day, it has to come down to what happens on the court. UGA's computer numbers were propped up by playing a tough schedule and mostly avoiding bad losses, but our best win was over a 15-loss Vandy team, so there was no real case to be made for us getting into the dance.

Herchel
03-13-2017, 10:16 AM
USC did sweep us. I'm all for using metrics like KenPom and RPI as data points, but at the end of the day, it has to come down to what happens on the court. UGA's computer numbers were propped up by playing a tough schedule and mostly avoiding bad losses, but our best win was over a 15-loss Vandy team, so there was no real case to be made for us getting into the dance.

Agreed, but we had to play UK 3 times, UF twice, etc.

Bama_Man
03-13-2017, 04:22 PM

But Bama did sweep USC, beat UGA once, and beat Vandy once. No bad losses either. I jus think that they look down on the SEC. Providence doesn't have a great resume, same with SoCal and Kansas State

Djshockley3
03-15-2017, 11:00 PM
SC beat UCLA and Oregon lol

GR8NESS
03-18-2017, 09:47 AM
But Bama did sweep USC, beat UGA once, and beat Vandy once. No bad losses either. I jus think that they look down on the SEC. Providence doesn't have a great resume, same with SoCal and Kansas State

USC beat two top 4 seeds ffs

Dawg4life
03-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Alabama made a nice step forward for themselves overall and it will be interesting to see how they look with 1-2 legit NBA prospects next year, but this just wasn't their time yet.

Bama_Man
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
USC beat two top 4 seeds ffs

Um, when did SC beat Oregon? I see wins over SMU and UCLA but no Oregon:
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_341_Men.html

Bama_Man
03-18-2017, 04:00 PM
USC had two top 50 wins. Alabama had three, and played Oregon as close as SC did.