2017 Outright SEC Champions: Kentucky [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Outright SEC Champions: Kentucky

kentubbybasketball
03-04-2017, 02:17 PM
UK locks down its 50th SEC Championship!! Kudos to this team that had to retool itself mid conference season with losses to UT and UF (plus Kansas). We had thr flu go through our team twice, and lost key rotation pieces for pivotal games. Mike White is guaranteed COY but the job Cal did when the "sky was falling" was huge.

Cal has 5 SEC titles to match Tubby Smith. 5 in 8 years (the other two years we finished second). 3 straight, not Kansas but impressive with our constant turnover. Those 5 titles Cal and Tubby have are more than all other SEC programs save LSU, UT, Bama, and FloridA. GREAT JOB TO CALIPARI AND HIS GUYS!!!

DawgNBama
03-05-2017, 02:35 AM
UK locks down its 50th SEC Championship!! Kudos to this team that had to retool itself mid conference season with losses to UT and UF (plus Kansas). We had thr flu go through our team twice, and lost key rotation pieces for pivotal games. Mike White is guaranteed COY but the job Cal did when the "sky was falling" was huge.

Cal has 5 SEC titles to match Tubby Smith. 5 in 8 years (the other two years we finished second). 3 straight, not Kansas but impressive with our constant turnover. Those 5 titles Cal and Tubby have are more than all other SEC programs save LSU, UT, Bama, and FloridA. GREAT JOB TO CALIPARI AND HIS GUYS!!!
Congrats to Kentucky. I just wish my Georgia Dawgs could have given you guys some competition, but we didn't . Good job Kentucky , and hope you do well in the fall too, until you play Georgia, and after you play Georgia.

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Not to sound ride, but I disagree. UGA gave us very stiff competitionin both games. The first game at Ruop you scored 14 before we got anything. Then, in Stegeman if Yante doesnt get injured who knows. Watching you guys against Arkansas yesterday, I think Fox should come back again. He has some compliments around Maten for next year. Your frontcourt or TAMU's will be the best. If Crump, Harris and the guards do their part... watch out.

The Zou
03-05-2017, 05:57 PM

The bold part (above) is key; the major difference between UK & KU is the constant "1 & done" turnover Kentucky has, which (from what I see, but don't know for a fact) is much greater than KU.

Does Coach Cal just have the 1 & done recruiting trail on lock-down, or am I crazy?

kentubbybasketball
03-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Two things:

I think Cal does recruit a lot of one and dones, but I dont think that was the plan at the beginning. He said in year one he did not think Eric Bledsoe and Demarcus Cousins would leave after one year. Cousins actually beggerd to come back but Cal told him he had to go with a top 5 pick guarantee. At any rate, when we lost that first team (we had 5 drafted and three other seniors), you gotta replace them to have a te the next year. We replaced them with Brandon Knight and Enes Kanter. Then they left and replaced them with Anthony Davis and crew. It is a cycle once you get in it, uou gotta keep doing it or you'll have a down year. I think Cal would love to have more guys return. We have returned a PG three straight years, so perhaps we have seen a shift

The second thing is a major difference between us and KU is that KU hasn't had a Florida to contend with. The Big 12 is top heavy and their bottom is always good too, but the competition at annelite level doesn't match what Florida has challenged us with.

The Zou
03-05-2017, 09:54 PM
I agree that once Cal got into that cycle it is difficult to get out of -- when you lose that much talent in one season... you have to bring in new horses that are ready to run on day 1. By virtue, those horses are ready for draft after year 1. I'm also a proponent of coaches that don't hold kids back when they are ready for the next level; with $millions on the line, I can't imagine bringing kids back for another year when they are early rounders.

But that is one hell of a cycle to work your way out of!! It would be interesting to know how often Cal & Self are actually competing for the same kids these days -- are the programs so defined right now that they don't fight over the same kids?

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2017, 12:10 PM
No, outside of Duke we seem to fight it out with Kansas for most of our targets. Kansas has severagl guys we recruited like Josh Jackson, LaGerald Vick, Malik Newman, and Carlton Bragg. I think Cal is more likely to send his kids off to the NBA than Self though. Many of Self's top 10 recruits end up being flops or multi year guys.

kentubbybasketball
03-06-2017, 12:12 PM
How do you feel about Kim Anderson?