How's Big Game Bob going to handle his bad boy QB? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : How's Big Game Bob going to handle his bad boy QB?

zud the hut
02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
https://stormininnorman.com/2017/02/27/baker-mayfield-how-should-oklahoma-handle-star-quarterbacks-public-misconduct/

What are the betting odds that this player will be starting in September?

zud the hut
02-27-2017, 10:48 AM
"The big question now is how Oklahoma will handle the situation. Recent history says that Mayfield will get off with what coaches like to describe as internal discipline, and little else will come of it.

Unfortunately, that is not the kind of message Bob Stoops needs to be sending to his team or the more critical public that is already questioning how selective the Sooner football program is in dealing with high-profile off-the-field misconduct by Oklahoma players.
More recently, there is the situation involving Joe Mixon, who punched a female student breaking her jaw*before he had played a single down for the Sooners, and then the disclosure after last season that Biltetnikoff Award winner Dede Westbrook had been arrested twice in the past on charges of domestic abuse.

In August of 2016, All-Big 12 cornerback Jordan Thomas was arrested under a similar set of circumstances to that of Mayfield. And that was not the first run in with the law by Thomas, who had been disciplined previously for off-the-field misconduct. Yet Thomas did not miss any playing time following his arrest for public intoxication and assault and battery."

The Zou
03-02-2017, 03:13 AM
Ugh... Bob Stoops.

In another life I lived right down the road from him. The water tower in Moore OK says, "Home town of Toby Keith"... and I think he wants the Norman tower to have his name on it. It must be tough when Barry Switzer (still in Norman) has a twitter account (https://mobile.twitter.com/Barry_Switzer/status/835890139654160385):

"They couldn't have caught my quarterbacks!"

This is a hilarious reference to the fact that Mayfield ran away and was tracked down & tackled by the cop:

I told Mayfield to come over to me. When I gave that command, Mayfield began to walk away from me. I repeatedly told him to stop. Mayfield then began to sprint away. I chased after him. Mayfield was tackled to the ground.

My bet is that he'll be starting in the first game that means anything; I also bet that Stoops will be wearing a visor by the time it is popular again... and then he'll claim he invented it.

Bama_Man
03-02-2017, 05:45 PM
If anything unites SEC guys of different political views, it's a hatred of Bob Stoops overrated ass.

The Zou
03-03-2017, 08:31 AM
He shouldn't cause that much of a rise... except no one likes the guy that pissed down your back and tells you its raining. And he does that by being arrogant & sanctimonious about OU's program... while playing criminals.

And look -- every team has shady characters, but he goes so far as to give them sanctuary. Reference DGB: Mizzou kicks him off of team for multiple drug violations AND (perhaps/apparently) tossing a gal down a flight of stairs... and Stoops gives him refuge in Norman. If you are going to be like that... then drop the sanctimonious attitude?!

MKfromPA
05-01-2017, 06:09 PM
If he had anything going for him, Stoops would beat Texas every year. The best coaches are able to dominate their rivals.... Tressel/Meyer over UM, Saban over LSU, etc. But I guess Stoops is not in that category!

Bama_Man
05-01-2017, 08:07 PM
He shouldn't cause that much of a rise... except no one likes the guy that pissed down your back and tells you its raining. And he does that by being arrogant & sanctimonious about OU's program... while playing criminals.

And look -- every team has shady characters, but he goes so far as to give them sanctuary. Reference DGB: Mizzou kicks him off of team for multiple drug violations AND (perhaps/apparently) tossing a gal down a flight of stairs... and Stoops gives him refuge in Norman. If you are going to be like that... then drop the sanctimonious attitude?!

That's what aggravates me the most. He's so damn sanctimonious yet he plays more felons and bad apples than most P5 schools.

He also does the least with the most.

MKfromPA
05-05-2017, 06:19 PM
That's what aggravates me the most. He's so damn sanctimonious yet he plays more felons and bad apples than most P5 schools.

He also does the least with the most.

Yep, I'd argue OU underachieved last season. Shouldn't have lost to Houston in the opener. Shouldn't have gotten shellacked by Ohio State at home in Week 2. OU wins one of those and they're in the Playoff.