Richt and Miami blocking destinations of transfer players [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Richt and Miami blocking destinations of transfer players

ECDawg78
01-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Another wrinkle in the transfer policy debate, this time featuring Mark Richt and Miami

by Seth Emerson
1/24/17

ATHENS — During Mark Richt’s time as Georgia’s coach, the policy was always to let players transfer anywhere they wanted. Then Richt left, and Georgia’s policy changed – and so, apparently, has Richt’s new school.

Miami is not permitting running back Gus Edwards, a graduate transfer, go to Syracuse or Pittsburgh, two ACC schools that are on Miami’s schedule in 2017. The Palm Beach Post reported on the story Tuesday.

It’s not clear what Richt’s role is in the decision to block. His athletics director, Blake James, told The Palm Beach Post that it’s the school’s policy.

“Institutionally, our policy has been that we would not do that for a school we’re going to play in the upcoming season,” James told the newspaper.

Richt allowed players at Georgia to go anywhere they wanted, including tailback J.J. Green, who ended up at rival Georgia Tech. Richt – and athletics director Greg McGarity – both said multiple times that “life is too short” to restrict players from going to where they want.

But new head coach Kirby Smart put a block last year on tailback A.J. Turman, including to Miami, because Smart didn’t want to set a precedent for players following Richt there. (So far none have.)

However, Smart did change his policy when it came to graduate transfers: Maurice Smith wanted to go from Alabama to Georgia last year, and Alabama (Smart’s former school) blocked it. But Smart said he believed that players who graduate should be able to go anywhere they want, and eventually Alabama relented and Smith ended up at Georgia.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/another-wrinkle-transfer-policy-debate-time-featuring-mark-richt-miami

ECDawg78
01-29-2017, 11:53 AM
We had a lot of fans, and some here on this board, who praised Richt for his no restriction transfer policy, which he had in place while at UGA. I personally didn't disapprove of it, since it was, I believe, his responsibility and right as head coach of the program....and at the time I admired him for being steadfast when criticized for it.

His position shift at Miami on this is disappointing, however....I guess all the reasons he cited for the transferring players' welfare during his time in Athens....no longer apply........

Dawg in Dallas
01-29-2017, 12:13 PM
You assume it was Richt's call, when it isn't so clear from the article:

It’s not clear what Richt’s role is in the decision to block. His athletics director, Blake James, told The Palm Beach Post that it’s the school’s policy.

ECDawg78
01-29-2017, 02:11 PM
You assume it was Richt's call, when it isn't so clear from the article:

I assume nothing. All I know is that it was his call under the administration in Athens, including AD Greg McGarity and President Morehead.

If it's not his call, why is that not shared by Richt or the administration at Miami with the public? Surely they should have no problem addressing why the change from Richt's previous tenure....where's the transparency?

It seems as though you now do not have a problem with the reversal of policy he now adheres to.....am I interpreting your view here correctly?

Richt's character to this point has been magnificent and consistent; I just believe he needs to explain why now he adheres to a policy that's 180 degrees different from what he advocated and practiced in the past....and has yet to discuss his input into that policy change from his past.

Dawg in Dallas
01-29-2017, 04:24 PM
I assume nothing.

Really???

Then what pray tell did this statement mean:

His position shift at Miami on this is disappointing, however....I guess all the reasons he cited for the transferring players' welfare during his time in Athens....no longer apply........

It seems to me you have absolutely assumed something. Or perhaps I am Not understanding the "context" of your post, despite it seeming to be very clear. :facepalm:

Richt isn't coaching at UGA. I am not that concerned with what he does there. I don't think Richt/Miami needs to explain themselves to UGA fans. H

Smart is the coach at UGA and HIS policy is different than Richt's policy while he was here, and while I prefer Richt's policy at UGA, Smart is not going to receive criticism from me over the policy at this point. I thought he should have let AJ Turman go to Miami if he wanted, but I also understood Smart's concerns. I think most folks have moved on and are looking forward to seeing if Smart can improve on the substandard year just completed. Recruiting seems to be going well. So that's one step in the right direction.

ECDawg78
01-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Really???

Then what pray tell did this statement mean:

It seems to me you have absolutely assumed something. Or perhaps I am Not understanding the "context" of your post, despite it seeming to be very clear. :facepalm:

It is clear that I am not assuming anything if you read this, but you appear to want to start another one of your pissing contests.

If it's not his call, why is that not shared by Richt or the administration at Miami with the public? Surely they should have no problem addressing why the change from Richt's previous tenure....where's the transparency?

Richt isn't coaching at UGA. I am not that concerned with what he does there. I don't think Richt/Miami needs to explain themselves to UGA fans.

If you are "not that concerned", then why in the hell are you posting and attempting to blow up the damn thread with your incessant pissing? Why don't you stay the hell out of the thread and take your thin skin elsewhere....if you are not that concerned as you say?

Now, if anyone wants to discuss this topic in an adult manner, I'd like to hear your opinions.....despite the attempt to blow up the thread.

lbzdually
01-30-2017, 07:43 AM

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but it seems to me that the decision is not in Richt's hands, it's school policy.

ECDawg78
01-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but it seems to me that the decision is not in Richt's hands, it's school policy.

According to the writer of the article, "It’s not clear what Richt’s role is in the decision to block."

Since it is a 180 degree change from his stance at UGA, I would hope that he would explain this all at some point.

lbzdually
01-31-2017, 06:12 PM
According to the writer of the article, "It’s not clear what Richt’s role is in the decision to block."

Since it is a 180 degree change from his stance at UGA, I would hope that he would explain this all at some point.

I'm reading it as, 'it is not known whether or not Richt has any say so', and in the next sentence his athletic director says it's school policy, not at the discretion of the coach.

Dawg in Dallas
01-31-2017, 06:33 PM
I don't think Richt owes anyone an explanation.

ECDawg78
01-31-2017, 10:59 PM
I don't think Richt owes anyone an explanation.

Whatever you say.....

I have said this for years - If a coach can go wherever he wants to go, then why should't a player, especially one who has earned his degree, not have the same flexibility. The double standard is silly.

I guess your double standard doesn't apply to Richt.........only Saban...or any other coach that would block a graduate transfer......:D

Dawg in Dallas
01-31-2017, 11:16 PM
I do prefer Richt's position while at UGA. That remains MY position. But Richt doesn't OWE anyone an explanation of a policy you assume he set.

Your Richt fascination a year later is curious. The guy only had the best winning percentage of any coach at UGA, the second most wins and is of such character that your attempt to use him to try to score a cheap shot on some UGA fans is fairly pathetic.

If I were to be upset by someone not following the Richt standard, it would be the coach of the team I support - UGA. But as I have explained many times, while I don't agree with Smart's position on it, it is his position and is consistent with the rest of CFB. So be it. My preference lost at UGA.

I would think you and I would be more concerned about next years UGA team. There is plenty of improvement to be made in Athens without taking shots at an honorable man, based on an assumption.

ECDawg78
01-31-2017, 11:38 PM
I do prefer Richt's position while at UGA. That remains MY position. But Richt doesn't OWE anyone an explanation of a policy you assume he set.

Your Richt fascination a year later is curious. The guy only had the best winning percentage of any coach at UGA, the second most wins and is of such character that your attempt to use him to try to score a cheap shot on some UGA fans is fairly pathetic.

If I were to be upset by someone not following the Richt standard, it would be the coach of the team I support - UGA. But as I have explained many times, while I don't agree with Smart's position on it, it is his position and is consistent with the rest of CFB. So be it. My preference lost at UGA.

I would think you and I would be more concerned about next years UGA team. There is plenty of improvement to be made in Athens without taking shots at an honorable man, based on an assumption.

This thread has nothing to do with UGA fans, Kirby Smart, who you support or really even your position, since you have now made it clear that you have different standards when it comes to graduate transfers, depending on who the coach is, so how could anyone know?...........It's about the change that Mark Richt either agrees with now or adheres to now at Miami whether it's his decision or not on graduate transfers. It's not a slight or cheap shot.......only a question for someone who is paid 4 million a year, in my opinion, should answer.

That is the topic, and to be "not that concerned with what he does there", you sure do feel the need to respond in your attempts to flame this thread.

This topic was placed in the non-SEC forum for a reason......it is not applicable to what you are trying to paint it to be......your typical cheap shot when you see a post or poster that you are too thinned skinned apparently to reasonably and calmly discuss opinions and facts on a topic such as this. I don't care what your latest opinion is, but you seem to be adamant to deluge this thread with it.

For the second and final time, I am requesting that you leave this thread and stop attempting to blow it up for your self serving and bitter personal reasons.....

Dawg in Dallas
02-01-2017, 11:43 AM
This thread has nothing to do with UGA fans...

Right...

We had a lot of fans, and some here on this board, who praised Richt for his no restriction transfer policy, which he had in place while at UGA.

who you support or really even your position, since you have now made it clear that you have different standards when it comes to graduate transfers, depending on who the coach is, so how could anyone know?

You made it about, saying I have a double standard. Which is false. I don;t have different standards. Again - and I'll try a little slower this time...I ...prefer...Richt's...policy... of...letting...a ...player...transfer...wherever...said ...player ...want...to...go.

The rest of your blather is not worth responding to.

Again, Richt doesn't owe anyone an explanation. You seem to be the lone poster here that believes that to be the case.

ECDawg78
02-04-2017, 11:51 PM
You made it about, saying I have a double standard. Which is false. I don;t have different standards. Again - and I'll try a little slower this time...I ...prefer...Richt's...policy... of...letting...a ...player...transfer...wherever...said ...player ...want...to...go.

The rest of your blather is not worth responding to.

Again, Richt doesn't owe anyone an explanation. You seem to be the lone poster here that believes that to be the case.

You are not capable of speaking for other posters.......only of attempting to prevent them from posting.

You have made the double standard clearly apparent....it's OK for you to excuse Richt or anyone else you hold dear, but your post on graduate transfers from another thread clearly confirmed your double standard by demanding it of other coaches. That you try to spin it as something else......is.....again.....your.....fail.

Every response you have made in this thread has been an attempt to derail it. The subject matter is in the proper forum and the question was posed very respectfully.....however you have yet to relent and respond respectfully or stay on topic, venturing into personal slights without provocation. You entered with an intention to start a pissfest and continue to attempt to draw an infractionable response from me.

Again, I respectfully ask you, though you do not deserve it.......to leave this thread and not return with your premeditated flaming intentions that began with your very first post and continued with all the others.

ECDawg78
02-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Mark Richt is under fire after he contradicts himself amidst graduate transfer decision

January 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Miami running back Gus Edwards is leaving the program as a graduate transfer, but Mark Richt is blocking Edwards from playing for any school on the Hurricanes’ schedule next season.

Edwards, who is from Staten Island, wants to transfer closer to home after the birth of his son. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are on Miami’s schedule next season, so Edwards can’t transfer to either. Edwards was committed to Syracuse before flipping to Miami out of high school.

Last August, Richt said he doesn’t believe in transfer restrictions because “life is too short.”

“I have unconditionally released every guy that ever wanted to leave,” Richt said in August. “I’d call the commissioner [of the conference] and say, ‘Hey, if the kid wants to go…let him go wherever he wants to go.'”

Last year, defensive back Maurice Smith wanted to transfer from Alabama to Georgia, but Nick Saban blocked the transfer for a long time. He eventually relented, and Smith went on to help Georgia defeat Auburn in November—which secured the SEC West for Alabama.

It’s easy to see where Richt is coming from since he doesn’t want to coach against Edwards next season, but it’s hypocritical given his statements less than a year ago about transfers.

http://fanbuzz.com/story/mark-richt-is-under-fire-after-he-contradicts-himself-amidst-grad-transfer-decision/

ECDawg78
02-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Reports: Hurricanes reach out to Clemson graduate transfer running back Tyshon Dye

by Matt Porter
January 29, 2017

In their search for running back depth, the Hurricanes could get an assist from the defending national champions.

Multiple reports said Clemson transfer Tyshon Dye is on UM’s radar as a possible backup to leading rusher Mark Walton.

According to Canesport, Miami offensive coordinator and running backs coach Thomas Brown contacted Dye and told him he has a spot with the Hurricanes if he wants it. Dye told Canesport he planned to speak with Mark Richt on Sunday.

Dye, 23, is a native of Elberton, Ga. He is 5-foot-11 and 220 pounds and immediately eligible to play as a graduate transfer.

He was a four-star recruit in the 2013 class, rated 14th among running backs and 165th overall by the 247Sports composite ratings. However, injuries hampered his career at Clemson.

In 2015, he rushed for 91 yards — 52 of which came in a blowout win at Miami — and two touchdowns. He had 109 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries last year. He did not play in the ACC championship or the playoffs.

His career numbers for Clemson — which touted him as “one of the team’s most physical running backs” on its website — were 351 yards and five touchdowns on 76 carries. He also caught two passes for 11 yards.

Dye told Canesport that 10 schools offered him a spot. He told 247Sports that Georgia Southern is contacting him the most. Another contender is SMU, whose coach, Chad Morris, was Clemson’s former offensive coordinator.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/01/29/reports-hurricanes-reach-out-to-clemson-transfer-running-back-tyshon-dye/