LSU recruiting [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU recruiting

zud the hut
01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
LSU has had 2 big weekends with official visits. And they are attempting to close out the year as they have 20 committed. It's looking like another good year.

BigBamaFan
01-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Lots of good Bama vs LSU recruiting battles

zud the hut
01-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Lots of good Bama vs LSU recruiting battles

Yes, there are! But I don't think that we are going to flip Allen and Smith...

BigBamaFan
01-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Yes, there are! But I don't think that we are going to flip Allen and Smith...
I think Allen and Smith are both Bama bound. But Mathis and Harris is going to go down to the wire

Storm
01-23-2017, 07:53 AM
Looks like Gay is LSU bound. That's a big close.

zud the hut
01-23-2017, 01:35 PM
That's a big get and the position of need that is the focus until signing day. We only have one lb committed and that must change.
And we aren't really sure about Gay. I'm waiting and seeing on that. I know he likes Michigan but I wouldn't count State out of this.

Storm
01-23-2017, 01:53 PM
I'll be happy if UM can secure Soloman. DT is a position of need for us for sure. Gay would be icing on the cake, but they need to focus on some OL to close the class with.

zud the hut
01-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I think Allen and Smith are both Bama bound. But Mathis and Harris is going to go down to the wire

I think that we are going to get Phidarian Mathis and Marvin Wilson. Both of those are very huge and I think that both announce on signing day.

I think that you'll get Harris.

You're right on Allen and Smith.

Storm
01-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Harbaugh has an in home today or tonight with Gay. Does LSU have any more visits with him scheduled?

zud the hut
01-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Harbaugh has an in home today or tonight with Gay. Does LSU have any more visits with him scheduled?

I think so but I can't remember. His visit to LSU this past weekend was strong. The chatter is that he will eventually sign with LSU. And he is now being projected to LSU. But I just don't trust it. He can just about walk to State if he wishes to and Ole Miss is lurking around.

But I do tend think that if he wanted to stay in the state of Mississippi that he would have already committed that way. Having said this, I just don't trust this until next week when those faxes start rolling.

BigBamaFan
01-23-2017, 11:09 PM
I think that we are going to get Phidarian Mathis and Marvin Wilson. Both of those are very huge and I think that both announce on signing day.

I think that you'll get Harris.

You're right on Allen and Smith.
Harris and Speed are the last 2 DB on our board. I think your right about Mathis. Alabama is trending well with J. Parks and I belive Saban has a in home with Soloman this week. We have room for 3 Dlineman.
Right now I'll be shocked if we don't get 5 star Ray, I feel good about 4 star Parks. Soloman is wishy washy to say the least at this point I won't be surprised if he goes to Bama, Michigan, Georgia, or USC. But right now I think he is the one we could round out our 3 DLINEMAN recruiting board.

zud the hut
01-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Harris and Speed are the last 2 DB on our board. I think your right about Mathis. Alabama is trending well with J. Parks and I belive Saban has a in home with Soloman this week. We have room for 3 Dlineman.
Right now I'll be shocked if we don't get 5 star Ray, I feel good about 4 star Parks. Soloman is wishy washy to say the least at this point I won't be surprised if he goes to Bama, Michigan, Georgia, or USC. But right now I think he is the one we could round out our 3 DLINEMAN recruiting board.

It looked like Harris was headed to LSU. But when he went to Bama, they pitched a specific role for him and it appears that it won him out. LSU has a great DB class already without Harris. Our position of need is LB since Bama took the 2 best ones from Louisiana. But it appears that is going to work out ok for LSU as I think that they are bringing in some great ones after all.

zud the hut
01-25-2017, 11:00 AM
I'll be happy if UM can secure Soloman. DT is a position of need for us for sure. Gay would be icing on the cake, but they need to focus on some OL to close the class with.

I saw this and thought about you:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126558/are-jim-harbaugh-and-michigan-making-progress-in-sec-country

Are Jim Harbaugh and Michigan making progress in SEC country?

Remember Jim Harbaugh's satellite camp tour across the country last year? You know -- the one that cost Michigan $334,712? Well, national signing is a week away, and the Wolverines currently have a top-five class with a few of their top targets still left on the board.

As one would expect, the class has a diverse group of kids from all over the country. There are commitments from Colorado to New Mexico to Virginia to Connecticut, and there’s even a three-star cornerback from Montreal, Canada. But the one area that Harbaugh has failed to make headway in this 2017 class thus far is down in the Southeast.

It wasn't for a lack of trying. The Michigan coach and his staff held satellite camps in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee. His team spent a week in Florida during the spring, practicing at IMG Academy. And yet, all he has to show for it on the recruiting trail in this current class is a three-star safety from Alabama and a three-star running back from Georgia.

The Wolverines do have a pair of commitments from IMG Academy -- Cesar Ruiz and Jordan Anthony -- but neither kid grew up in the South and both had Michigan on their radar before they ever left to go play down in Florida.

But the big fish -- guys such as Cam Akers or JaCoby Stevens, who both attended satellite camps this past summer -- are staying closer to home. Akers has already signed with Florida State, and Stevens is down at LSU getting ready to go through spring practice.

Some might see Michigan's current class and say that Harbaugh wasted his time making stops in the Southeast last summer. How is a school from up north expected to come down and pull top kids away from powerhouse programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, LSU, Auburn or Clemson? Hosting a couple satellite camps here and there won't change anything.

The landscape is changing, though. Slowly but surely, Harbaugh is making progress. And all it takes is landing one top recruit in this class to show that.

Obviously, Michigan would love to sign a handful of top recruits from the Southeast next Wednesday. Who wouldn't? But even if Harbaugh steals just one ESPN 300 kid away, it's going to turn some heads.

He might not have one on board yet, but between Aubrey Solomon, Nico Collins and Willie Gay, there's still a chance Michigan lands one of those big fish.

Solomon, ranked No. 63 in the ESPN 300, is one of the top targets still out there. When the dead period ended at midnight a couple weeks back, he had coaches from both Alabama and Georgia at his school the next morning. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are both expected to come through and see the 6-foot-3, 300-pound defensive lineman sometime this week.

It's not just a Tide-Dawgs battle, though. The Wolverines are very much in the thick of it for Solomon, who initially committed to Michigan over the summer before later re-opening his recruitment.

"They've got a quality program there at Michigan just like a lot of these other schools here in the South," Solomon's high school coach, Dean Fabrizio, said. "And I just think Coach Harbaugh has been able to recruit on a national level. The success he's had at Stanford, in the NFL, and now at Michigan, has certainly played a huge role in that."

Collins, an ESPN 300 wide receiver from just outside Birmingham, has narrowed his list to four schools -- Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Michigan. He had little to no interest in Michigan before Harbaugh arrived, but after visiting Ann Arbor and meeting the charismatic and sometimes controversial head coach, he now has the Wolverines in his final group.

"When I first met him, he came in making jokes," Collins said. "I was like 'Oh yeah, I like this coach.' But the more I go up there -- I've been up there a couple times -- he just seems more comfortable. Me and him just get along really well. We can just talk about anything."

Collins knows that if he were to spurn Alabama to go to Michigan, it would send shockwaves across the state. It's one thing to leave his home state and go to Georgia or LSU, but to leave and play for Harbaugh at Michigan? He would never hear the end of it.

"It is what it is," Collins said. "I'm pretty sure a lot of people want me to stay in-state because we've got a big-time [program] in Alabama. But really, I'm just going to the place where I can see myself making a big impact and a place where I could see myself going."

The efforts Michigan have put in across the Southeast might not fully come to fruition until the 2018 and 2019 classes -- the Wolverines already have an ESPN Junior 300 recruit from Georgia committed in their 2018 class -- but if Harbaugh can land Solomon or Collins or even Gay, a linebacker from Mississippi who attended a satellite camp in his home state over the summer, it would prove that Michigan can go anywhere and sign a top recruit.

zud the hut
01-25-2017, 11:12 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126545/lsu-hopes-januarys-flurry-of-official-visits-pays-off-with-late-surge

LSU is running a recruiting version of the 2:00 drill right now
9:02 AM CT
David Ching

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Ed Orgeron’s recruiting strategy was initially meant to help whoever became LSU’s next head coach. It might wind up helping Orgeron complete this recruiting cycle with a bang.

After taking over as LSU’s interim coach in late September, Orgeron accepted only one official visitor during football season: early enrollee JaCoby Stevens, who planned to sign with LSU no matter who got the full-time head coaching gig. Orgeron hoped he would be the eventual winner in the school’s coaching search, but just in case, he figured it would be poor form to hamstring the next coach by using up official visits before athletic director Joe Alleva announced his hiring decision.

It was an unusual situation to be sure, but the backloaded collection of official visits has LSU poised to make some noise in the week leading up to Feb. 1, national signing day. Orgeron’s staff hosted a whopping 16 official visitors two weekends ago and 10 last weekend, plus a handful of unofficial visitors -- a total group that numbered around 30 -- and claimed two verbal commitments in that time.

No offense to three-star wide receiver Racey McMath and 2018 linebacker commit Damone Clark, but some of their fellow recent visitors will be the guys who determine the ultimate success of those big weekends. That includes players who have already made commitments, both to LSU (defensive linemen Tyler Shelvin and Neil Farrell) and elsewhere (Oklahoma commit Jacob Phillips and Alabama commit Chris Allen).

At this point, LSU counts 11 ESPN 300 honorees among its 20 commitments -- well short of last season’s record-tying total of 19 ESPN 300 signees. But if Orgeron’s staff closes with all or even most of the big fish still on its board, the Tigers can still approach last year’s total.

LSU is aiming for 27 signees in this class and among its top remaining targets, nearly all of them are ESPN 300 players who visited campus in one of the past two weekends:

Marvin Wilson (the No. 4 overall prospect on the ESPN 300 and No. 1 DT)

K’Lavon Chaisson (No. 34 overall, No. 4 DE)

Phidarian Mathis (No. 37 overall, No. 4 DT)

Travis Etienne (No. 114 overall, No. 13 RB)

Phillips (No. 141 overall, No. 3 ILB)

Allen (No. 162 overall, No. 9 OLB)

Willie Gay (No. 211 overall, No. 12 OLB)

Other ESPN 300 prospects -- namely Todd Harris (No. 83 overall, No. 8 safety) and Tyler Taylor (No. 203 overall, No. 7 ILB) -- remain on LSU’s board as well, but if Orgeron lands the previously mentioned seven players, count on the Tigers making a signing day leap from their current spot at No. 7.

Finishing strong would also help Orgeron come closer to accomplishing his stated goal of signing the top players from his home state.

Louisiana natives Dylan Moses (No. 5 overall, No. 1 ATH) and Isaiah Buggs (No. 5 overall on ESPN JC 50, No. 1 DT) both committed to Alabama, and Allen might still join them in Tuscaloosa. However, LSU commits Shelvin and quarterback Lowell Narcisse both rank among the state’s top five prospects in ESPN’s player rankings. Adding Mathis, Harris and Etienne would allow LSU to get all five, with No. 6 Allen potentially bringing the number to six.

That wouldn’t necessarily make up for losing a prospect of onetime LSU commit Moses’ caliber, but it would be one heck of a recovery. Especially for a coaching staff that was in limbo until late November when Alleva finally settled on Orgeron as his full-time coach.

As it turns out, holding on to all of those official visits looks to have worked out well for the Tigers’ new coach.

Storm
01-25-2017, 02:00 PM
I saw this and thought about you:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126558/are-jim-harbaugh-and-michigan-making-progress-in-sec-country

Are Jim Harbaugh and Michigan making progress in SEC country?

Remember Jim Harbaugh's satellite camp tour across the country last year? You know -- the one that cost Michigan $334,712? Well, national signing is a week away, and the Wolverines currently have a top-five class with a few of their top targets still left on the board.

As one would expect, the class has a diverse group of kids from all over the country. There are commitments from Colorado to New Mexico to Virginia to Connecticut, and there’s even a three-star cornerback from Montreal, Canada. But the one area that Harbaugh has failed to make headway in this 2017 class thus far is down in the Southeast.

It wasn't for a lack of trying. The Michigan coach and his staff held satellite camps in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee. His team spent a week in Florida during the spring, practicing at IMG Academy. And yet, all he has to show for it on the recruiting trail in this current class is a three-star safety from Alabama and a three-star running back from Georgia.

The Wolverines do have a pair of commitments from IMG Academy -- Cesar Ruiz and Jordan Anthony -- but neither kid grew up in the South and both had Michigan on their radar before they ever left to go play down in Florida.

But the big fish -- guys such as Cam Akers or JaCoby Stevens, who both attended satellite camps this past summer -- are staying closer to home. Akers has already signed with Florida State, and Stevens is down at LSU getting ready to go through spring practice.

Some might see Michigan's current class and say that Harbaugh wasted his time making stops in the Southeast last summer. How is a school from up north expected to come down and pull top kids away from powerhouse programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, LSU, Auburn or Clemson? Hosting a couple satellite camps here and there won't change anything.

The landscape is changing, though. Slowly but surely, Harbaugh is making progress. And all it takes is landing one top recruit in this class to show that.

Obviously, Michigan would love to sign a handful of top recruits from the Southeast next Wednesday. Who wouldn't? But even if Harbaugh steals just one ESPN 300 kid away, it's going to turn some heads.

He might not have one on board yet, but between Aubrey Solomon, Nico Collins and Willie Gay, there's still a chance Michigan lands one of those big fish.

Solomon, ranked No. 63 in the ESPN 300, is one of the top targets still out there. When the dead period ended at midnight a couple weeks back, he had coaches from both Alabama and Georgia at his school the next morning. Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are both expected to come through and see the 6-foot-3, 300-pound defensive lineman sometime this week.

It's not just a Tide-Dawgs battle, though. The Wolverines are very much in the thick of it for Solomon, who initially committed to Michigan over the summer before later re-opening his recruitment.

"They've got a quality program there at Michigan just like a lot of these other schools here in the South," Solomon's high school coach, Dean Fabrizio, said. "And I just think Coach Harbaugh has been able to recruit on a national level. The success he's had at Stanford, in the NFL, and now at Michigan, has certainly played a huge role in that."

Collins, an ESPN 300 wide receiver from just outside Birmingham, has narrowed his list to four schools -- Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Michigan. He had little to no interest in Michigan before Harbaugh arrived, but after visiting Ann Arbor and meeting the charismatic and sometimes controversial head coach, he now has the Wolverines in his final group.

"When I first met him, he came in making jokes," Collins said. "I was like 'Oh yeah, I like this coach.' But the more I go up there -- I've been up there a couple times -- he just seems more comfortable. Me and him just get along really well. We can just talk about anything."

Collins knows that if he were to spurn Alabama to go to Michigan, it would send shockwaves across the state. It's one thing to leave his home state and go to Georgia or LSU, but to leave and play for Harbaugh at Michigan? He would never hear the end of it.

"It is what it is," Collins said. "I'm pretty sure a lot of people want me to stay in-state because we've got a big-time [program] in Alabama. But really, I'm just going to the place where I can see myself making a big impact and a place where I could see myself going."

The efforts Michigan have put in across the Southeast might not fully come to fruition until the 2018 and 2019 classes -- the Wolverines already have an ESPN Junior 300 recruit from Georgia committed in their 2018 class -- but if Harbaugh can land Solomon or Collins or even Gay, a linebacker from Mississippi who attended a satellite camp in his home state over the summer, it would prove that Michigan can go anywhere and sign a top recruit.

Good read. Thanks

zud the hut
01-26-2017, 10:41 PM

This is still up in the air. Ole Miss is out with the probation problem hanging over their program. I don't know if you have read anything about it but LSU came into the game late with Gay because LSU didn't have a coach named until December. This recent affection that Gay has was all on him and not his parents. His mom is a State alum. But his mom says that wherever he wants to go and is the best fit for him is the approach that they are taking. But his mom likes Harbaugh and that's in Michigan's favor. LSU does not have this relationship with the family because they are late in the game. But that doesn't mean that he won't end up at LSU. The Gay family is supposed to enact a personal dead time. I think that this will help State and Michigan. Don't be surprised if he ends up at State.

BigBamaFan
01-26-2017, 10:45 PM
This is still up in the air. Ole Miss is out with the probation problem hanging over their program. I don't know if you have read anything about it but LSU came into the game late with Gay because LSU didn't have a coach named until December. This recent affection that Gay has was all on him and not his parents. His mom is a State alum. But his mom says that wherever he wants to go and is the best fit for him is the approach that they are taking. But his mom likes Harbaugh and that's in Michigan's favor. LSU does not have this relationship with the family because they are late in the game. But that doesn't mean that he won't end up at LSU. The Gay family is supposed to enact a personal dead time. I think that this will help State and Michigan. Don't be surprised if he ends up at State.

I keep hearing State for W. Gay.

Storm
01-26-2017, 11:28 PM
saw LSU flipped a LB. Forget his name, but I know talk is that he and Gay wanted to play together somewhere.

zud the hut
01-26-2017, 11:49 PM
saw LSU flipped a LB. Forget his name, but I know talk is that he and Gay wanted to play together somewhere.

Jacob Phillips. He was an OU commit. I knew that he was flipping when he came to LSU with his parents on an unofficial visit because they had used up all their official visits. They came on their own dime from Nashville and that tells you that they were very serious about LSU.

His visit was at the same time that Gay came on a official visit with his parents to Baton Rouge.

I still would like a couple more LB's.

BigBamaFan
01-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Jacob Phillips. He was an OU commit. I knew that he was flipping when he came to LSU with his parents on an unofficial visit because they had used up all their official visits. They came on their own dime from Nashville and that tells you that they were very serious about LSU.

His visit was at the same time that Gay came on a official visit with his parents to Baton Rouge.

I still would like a couple more LB's.
LSU looking like they will close strong. How many spots do you guys have left?

zud the hut
01-27-2017, 04:18 PM
LSU looking like they will close strong. How many spots do you guys have left?

Pete Caroll said that Coach O is the best closer that he ever saw. So, I am of the opinion that we will finish strong on Wednesday. He can't close on all of them but it will be good.

I think the # is 27. We must finish on the LB.

We lost Etienne to Clemson yesterday and that only leaves us with 1 commit. I'm ok with that because they can address that next year. We have Guise for now and that's good enough.

BigBamaFan
01-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Alabama will be heavy on CBs next year

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 12:33 AM
and then there's this: Clyde Edwards-Helaire is in Starkville this weekend. This is a hush hush on the down low thing.

LSU was all in with Cam Akers and they should have been. But we lost a close battle with FSU. Then we focus on Etienne and lose him to Clemson. And now this...

I think that it depends on who is still on our big board as to whether we sign a RB or not if Clyde flips.

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 04:08 PM
LSU has added a 5th commitment to the 2018 class. He's Kenan Jones from Berwick, La. He is a 4* receiver that is ranked as the #2 receiver in the state.

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 04:16 PM
I find it interesting that OU put on the full court press for Marvin Wilson of Houston. 6 OU coaches show up for Marvin to state their case. This includes his recruiter, DL coach, Calvin Thibodeaux and Big Game Bob.

OU was not even on the finalist list but Thibs is a good recruiter and they made their best case and Wilson was impressed.

I suppose that it makes sense to make it happen for OU as Wilson is the best player left and a 5*. But I wonder if this has anything to do with a recent LSU flip from OU?

https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/825427920529285120

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 04:40 PM
So now...OU is going after LSU LB target, Tyler Taylor of Buford, Ga.

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 05:01 PM
https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/825427920529285120/photo/1

zud the hut
01-28-2017, 05:03 PM
https://twitter.com/HamiltonESPN/status/825427920529285120/photo/1

zud the hut
01-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Here is a projection of who we will add on Wednesday:
1.Marvin Wilson
2.K’Lavon Chaisson
3.Tyler Taylor
4.Phidarian Mathis
5.Todd Harris
6.Nico Collins
7.DeVonta Smith

And 1 flip:
2. Neil Farrell will flip to FSU

zud the hut
01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Here is a projection of who we will add on Wednesday:
1.Marvin Wilson
2.K’Lavon Chaisson
3.Tyler Taylor
4.Phidarian Mathis
5.Todd Harris
6.Nico Collins
7.DeVonta Smith

And 1 flip:
2. Neil Farrell will flip to FSU

OK, take DeVota Smith off LSU's list and move it to Bama. Bama pulled a save.

Storm
01-31-2017, 02:32 PM
Take Nico off that list. He's UM bound.

zud the hut
01-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Take Nico off that list. He's UM bound.
Yeah, I have been reading this! Good get for Michigan! And also, neither of us get Gay. Things sure do change a lot as we head into D-day!

Storm
01-31-2017, 05:59 PM
It's crazy, for sure. Now I hear Soloman is trending to UM as well. Only 2 months after he said "f$#k Michigan" on a periscope interview with some other recruits.

So goes crootin

zud the hut
02-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Well, we lost 2 great lb's to Bama but we signed 4 great lb commits today. That's all good. This was my major concern of needs. It has been answered.

But it feels like if Wilson signs with FSU, then today is a bit of a failure. Everything pointed to him committing to LSU. This will be my greatest disappointment...

BigBamaFan
02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Well, we lost 2 great lb's to Bama but we signed 4 great lb commits today. That's all good. This was my major concern of needs. It has been answered.

But it feels like if Wilson signs with FSU, then today is a bit of a failure. Everything pointed to him committing to LSU. This will be my greatest disappointment...
I understand my biggest disappointment this year was D. Gibbs to Georgia

zud the hut
02-01-2017, 03:27 PM
I find it interesting that of the 23 that signed with LSU...15 of them are not from Louisiana...

zud the hut
02-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Well...disappointing. We finished 2nd in the Wilson contest. It was interesting that he broke out his Free Shoes U when he announced...

We have a good class and it's on to next year...the spring game and the season...and always hoping for that magical season

BigBamaFan
02-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Well...disappointing. We finished 2nd in the Wilson contest. It was interesting that he broke out his Free Shoes U when he announced...

We have a good class and it's on to next year...the spring game and the season...and always hoping for that magical season
Considering the Coach situation LSU did well, O is going to tuff going against in the future if LSU can start rolling on the field.

zud the hut
02-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Considering the Coach situation LSU did well, O is going to tuff going against in the future if LSU can start rolling on the field.
Yes, he will be better next year. And he addressed the situation on Louisiana players leaving the state. He said that we have some work to do and I believe that he will work very hard to keep Louisiana players at LSU.

A big part of this is Les Miles' fault. While he recruited great given all the LSU players in the NFL, he wasn't a closer and he didn't develop those relationships with high schools in the way that he should have.

LSU needs to have one of 2 things to happen if they want to turn the "tide"

1. Nick Saban leaves Alabama. LOL, we need for him to get really OLD.

2. LSU is going to have to win the game on the field.