Should UGA go in a new direction? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Should UGA go in a new direction?

GDawg88
12-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Eight years in, it's clear Mark Fox is not the answer and never will be. After losing to Marquette today, Georgia has played three teams with a pulse this year and lost to each of them by double digits. What was billed as Fox's best UGA team to date looks every bit as mediocre as the seven that preceded it.

We know what Fox's ceiling is: He'll have UGA as a fringy bubble team in his best years, win 18-20 games a season, and lose every meaningful game. That's not terrible for a historically middling program, but I know a UGA coach is capable of doing better because I've seen Tubby Smith and Jim Harrick do it in my lifetime.

Counterargument: Perhaps Fox is simply the unfortunate victim of an incompetent athletic department that since Vince Dooley's forced retirement has degenerated to the point that UGA is no longer relevant in any major sport. Even in its best days, UGA only gave token support to the basketball program. Fox has had to deal with disadvantages such as trying to get recruits to come play in an increasingly old and dumpy arena that should have been replaced a solid decade ago. Maybe Fox is actually really good but just not enough of a magician to escape from the swirling vortex of mediocrity that now defines UGA athletics.

What do you guys think?

Just Some Hog Dude
12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
I think you should find something else constructive to pass the time besides sport ball. That is what I am doing. We will all be smarter than Bama and Kentucky fans if we do that. :)

Djshockley3
12-04-2016, 06:46 PM
It's time for him to go. It's the same as those 9 and 10 win seasons under Richt. He wins most of the games he is supposed to win but never can beat a decent team. His substitution patterns are so insane every single year. Play the best 8 or 9 guys, just like today he puts Kessler and Geno on the floor together and gives up 6 straight points. That kinda stuff loses you ball games. I will wait and see how this year goes but I don't see us winning more than 18 games

joehogjoe
12-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Never been a fan of Fox. Georgia can do better.

Dawg in Dallas
12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Never been a fan of Fox. Georgia can do better.

Can they? Look at UGA's history in Basketball, then look at the current AD and one has to wonder.

joehogjoe
12-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Well they have done better then!

SCgamecock2988
12-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Look how long it's taken Frank Martin to finally get things going in Columbia. You better be willing to wait 4-5 years to see the fruits of a new coach. Fox has definitely had his time though.

Dawg4life
12-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Kansas was on being outtalented. This and Clemson was on a bad philosophy, the wrong defensive scheme, and refusal to play your young players or set them free to do what they're best at.

Fox launched this on himself starting last year if the sophomores don't improve by refusing to play his freshmen at all outside of Ogbeide. Practice is good and all, but you are not going to learn the ways of any sport by watching from the bench, and right now the sophomores that are now playing more look like freshmen and scared to try to do more as they did not play last year and think they could get benched with one screw up.

Maten is too good for him to get fired this year but if he doesn't stop it with his loyalty to the other veterans on the team, next season is going to come to fruition as last-two-seasons-Missouri-caliber-bad with what Fox has been doing for the last two seasons. He will not have veterans that will bail him out, and if Maten continues to play this way he's leaving for the NBA after this season.

Djshockley3
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
He will be fired next season anyway, we will be terrible

GDawg88
12-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Can they? Look at UGA's history in Basketball, then look at the current AD and one has to wonder.
This is the problem. We've seen that UGA can do better than Fox, but we've also seen that they can do worse (Ron Jirsa, Dennis Felton). While even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally, McGarity's abysmal track record of hiring coaches says we're more likely to end up with the next Jirsa than the next Tubby.

ugabrad
12-18-2016, 11:27 PM
I would just like to see another Hugh...

Herchel
12-21-2016, 11:25 AM
UGA 60, Yech 43. ROTFLMAOooooooooooooooooooooo

dnmuga93
12-21-2016, 11:58 AM
UGA 60, Yech 43. ROTFLMAOooooooooooooooooooooo

I watched that trainwreck last night. I thought I was watching a Dennis Felton team again....

Djshockley3
12-21-2016, 09:04 PM
I fell asleep it was so bad. Still have no idea why Fox is playing 13 guys. Stick to 9 or 10

Herchel
12-22-2016, 02:06 PM
I watched that trainwreck last night. I thought I was watching a Dennis Felton team again....
It's a great day anytime we beat the nerds.

DawgNBama
12-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Please, please fire McGarrity!!

Dawg4life
12-23-2016, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't let Mark Fox make it back to Georgia without a pink slip. Oakland is a decent mid major but its thoroughly humiliating to lose to a mid major with the talent and experience this team has.

All the talent and experience on the team, and going to regress from the NIT. Embarrassing. Completely preventable game without the man to man defense.

Fire him right now.

Djshockley3
12-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Losing to Oakland when we had a double digit lead, time for him to go. Sad part is Oakland went on like a 12-0 run when he had Kessler and Geno on the floor.

Djshockley3
01-21-2017, 02:41 PM
After today it's time. That was just awful

Dawg4life
01-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Bush league. On both sides. I could've told you after the first two inbound plays failed that you needed to change the play and the clock stopping was bush league.

Really, Fox not trusting William Jackson enough to get him on the floor tells me all I need to know. You did it to yourself, Fox, you don't learn the ways of basketball by just watching. You've shattered the confidence of some pretty talented players completely by being too afraid of letting them learn through their mistakes.

Doghousing Kenny Gaines might have worked, but it's clearly blown up in Fox's face totally with these players.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Tough to be up 9 with two mins left and still lose, even though TAMU is known for frenetic comebacks. Four straiht turnovers late , within 2 minutes of the buzzer is somewhat on the coach. When UGA did get the ball inbounded, it was in the corner that lead to traps. The lack of adjustment was jarring especially with the clock stoppibg at 5.6.

I could see UGA letting him go, especially since he doesn't have a class of recruits to be worried about getting away should a change occur (a la Romar at Washington). I personally like Fox and hope they don't fire him. Outside of Hugh Durham hes their most successful coach, if you dont count Tubby for being there so short.

Dawg4life
01-21-2017, 10:19 PM
The recruiting class certainly ain't bad by Georgia standards but it doesn't really matter when Fox is going to doghouse them and wreck their confidence. It might have worked with Kenny Gaines but it's gone inferno in his face with most of the freshman class from last year. I can understand one bust, but three busts is a pattern, and it's that restricting your young players failed horrendously this time.

He's started trying to reverse course since the SECT last year but the damage has already effectively been done.

Considering this season is pretty much done with barring a total miracle, he needs to start dedicating a ton of time to resurrecting his young players' confidence levels. If he fails to do it, he's done at best after next year.

GR8NESS
01-22-2017, 02:07 AM
Fox is pretty much a dead man walking at this point, IMO.

im not sure if UGA can get anyone better, and I'm also not sure it really matters because it's clear Fox isn't going to take UGA where they want to be - a consistent tourney team and every few years be a sweet 16 type team. If they really want to win, they'll hire Dick Stamsbury.

Dawg4life
02-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Lose because you can't break a simple press against Texas A&M...
Lose to Alabama by 20....

Lose in OT at Rupp instead of by 20-30.

FOH Mark Fox. It's not even about this game, WHERE is your ability to MOTIVATE for a full season if THIS is in your team? I'm not fooled at all, Georgia will have at least 2-3 more lackluster losses, it's the same old song and dance and it honestly does not matter who is on the team, as this is the most talented roster since the early 00s.

Fox's harshness on young players broke most of a class (the one last year) and in all likelihood is going to put him out of a job either after this season or next season.

DawgNBama
02-01-2017, 02:47 AM
The reasonable part of me says yes, Fox should be let go, but the evil part of me says no, keep Fox until McGarrity is forced out. Hmm, decisions, decisions. If/when we do get rid of Fox, who do we hire to replace him? I'm not so sure that Stansbury is the answer or Dick Stamsbury,..

Do we bring back Harrick? Do we hire a Kentucky assistant? An SEC retread like Anthony Grant maybe? Maybe we could take a look at Chris Mack from over at Xavier, in Ohio. Who knows? I think we should honor Hugh Durham though by naming the floor for him. (Hey, Duke did it for their coach!!)

GR8NESS
02-01-2017, 03:18 AM
If I'm being honest with myself if I'm chris Mack - I'm not sure I would leave for UGA. It's in a worse or equal bball conference. Everything I've read says he replaces Pitino at Lewisville.

Djshockley3
02-01-2017, 04:41 AM
That loss last night was another one that just hurt. The kids played hard as hell, and just made some mistakes at bad times. We are like 4 plays from having wins @UK, @UF, and @A&M

Djshockley3
02-19-2017, 02:08 AM
Bump...

Dawg4life
02-25-2017, 07:56 PM
I know no Maten, but if we didn't already know it, this game effectively seals it regardless of a win or loss. Tourney or gone for Mark Fox next year like Clemson's head coach this year, or gone right after the season ends.