Malik Newman transferring from MSU. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman transferring from MSU.

joehogjoe
05-30-2016, 01:55 PM
http://collegespun.com/sec/mississippi-state/report-mississippi-state-star-malik-newman-to-transfer

It's a big blow to MSU as Malik was definitely finding his game at the end of the season.

Herchel
05-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Wow, that's a surprise

NCMISSSTFAN
05-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Big blow?? You must have not watched many games thus season...I personally didn't want him to leave but alot of fans didnt care. Newman didn't live up to the hype at all. He was a spot up shooter and that was all. Q was our best freshman last year by far. We also bring in a top 5 recruiting class and I'm sure that played a role in his decision also. I like Newman but I cant say I'm terribly sad he's leaving

iowacat
05-30-2016, 07:02 PM
A lot of Talent but no Heart to work hard. Just sad.

SkyAntoine
05-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Anybody heard the Newman to Western Kentucky U rumors?

NCMISSSTFAN
05-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Sky I actually saw that on another site but I thought it was a joke

Dawgilicious
06-01-2016, 07:30 PM
I heard he was talking to KU

NCMISSSTFAN
06-02-2016, 07:11 AM
The latest rumors are NC State and KU. If he goes to NC State he better hope Dennis Smith Jr has left for the NBA, otherwise he will be in the same position he was at MSU and that position was playing a lot of SG. His main reason behind leaving was that he wants to be the PG and PG only, Howland used him a lot at the 2 guard position and that probably wouldn't have changed much this year with Ready and incoming PG freshman Peters on campus.

Wave&Dawgs
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
As others have said, I'm not too broken up about it. We all expected him to be one and done anyway, so no huge surprise. Again, as has been said, he did not live up to the hype. He showed flashes here and there, but he was never a game-changing player. Q was definitely our best freshman last year. MSU will be just fine this season without him.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-02-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm sure our incoming class plays a role in his leaving also. I wish him luck wherever he goes though

Dawgilicious
06-02-2016, 12:35 PM
He said he didnt trust Howland and vice versa. Sounds like he wanted to freelance more and do his own thing on the court. Not sure Kansas is the right place if he wants to do that

NCMISSSTFAN
06-02-2016, 08:46 PM
I read that also, Newman wanted to be the guy but his numbers just weren't good enough to allow that. Honestly the best place for him to go to play the way he wants is WKU...Stan's will give him the keys and let him drive...he's done it before with Jamont Gordon, Renard Sidney, Dee Bost(at times)...but that is also what hurt us when he coached MSU

Wave&Dawgs
06-02-2016, 10:05 PM
If that's what Malik really wants, he should look up the combined amount of NBA minutes Gordon, Sidney, and Bost have ever played. Hint, it's the same amount that I have. Compare the kinds of guys Stans has put in the NBA to the guys Howland has and it's not even a comparison. I suppose we will see what happens though.

GoDores
06-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Vandy is supposedly kicking the tires with Newmanand that makes me nervous. I don't know much about him but players of his caliber and hype that transfer after one year put up a red flag for me.

Was he a locker room issue or anything? If he would consider Vandy, does he have the grades? On the flip side though, if he wants PG, Vandy is in dire need of a PG.

Wave&Dawgs
06-05-2016, 11:46 PM
I don't remember anything about him being a locker room cancer, it mostly seems like he wanted to be the star and he didn't like that Howland was playing him at the 2 instead of the 1. I honestly think he maybe bought a bit too much into his own hype and didn't have the type of work ethic you would want. Now this is total speculation on my part, but just the way I saw it.

Bulldawg28
06-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Malik won't be missed

joehogjoe
06-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Losing a 5 star player is bad for a program. The hate for this kid is idiotic.

Wave&Dawgs
06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Losing a 5 star player is bad for a program. The hate for this kid is idiotic.

How is it bad for the program? He was projected as a one and done anyway, so we are no worse off than we expected when we signed him.

joehogjoe
06-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Tell that to another 5 star recruit. It does not look good. Other recruits also see past recruits being bashed. That's going to be used against the school.

Bulldawg28
06-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Tell that to another 5 star recruit. It does not look good. Other recruits also see past recruits being bashed. That's going to be used against the school.

This style of "good riddance" happens at all SEC programs.

Herchel
06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
This style of "good riddance" happens at all SEC programs.
Not at UGA. We don't have any 5 stars.

Bulldawg28
06-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Not at UGA. We don't have any 5 stars.

Awesome!

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2016, 05:51 PM

This only helps UK, Duke,and Michigan State. Malik Newman not panning out at MSU, Ben Simmons' rough ending at LSU, Stephen Zimmerman's circus year at UNLV. The bluebloods are going to bank off this IMO.

Ultimately, MSU knew who they were hiring. Howland was notorious for running off players at UCLA... he's done the same thing here with Newman. It's even to the extent that Howland didn't even trust Newman. Agian, MSU knew what they were getting when they were hiring Howland. I'm not shocked in the least. You don't change at 57 that much (or however old he is).

But hey, at least MSU doesn't have a coach named Rick... afterall Ben Howland hung the moon and the Ricks (Stansbury and Ray) couldn't do anything right.

msudawg4life
06-08-2016, 02:55 PM
sry but the names Rick and Ray do not even belong together...just sayin....carry on! btw hey Tub hope everything is going well..been very busy lately.

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2016, 04:00 PM
His name is Rick Ray.

joehogjoe
06-08-2016, 04:50 PM
This only helps UK, Duke,and Michigan State. Malik Newman not panning out at MSU, Ben Simmons' rough ending at LSU, Stephen Zimmerman's circus year at UNLV. The bluebloods are going to bank off this IMO.

Ultimately, MSU knew who they were hiring. Howland was notorious for running off players at UCLA... he's done the same thing here with Newman. It's even to the extent that Howland didn't even trust Newman. Agian, MSU knew what they were getting when they were hiring Howland. I'm not shocked in the least. You don't change at 57 that much (or however old he is).

But hey, at least MSU doesn't have a coach named Rick... afterall Ben Howland hung the moon and the Ricks (Stansbury and Ray) couldn't do anything right.
I can't disagree.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-09-2016, 02:50 PM
I'll admit I wasn't happy about him leaving, but wasn't totally sad or shocked. We bring in a dang good class and Newman honestly did not really show much to impress me. It's one of those situations where both parties probably benefit. Also, KT all teams have transfers, UK included, Howland is not exempt....That said look at his numbers for putting guys onto the league

NCMISSSTFAN
06-09-2016, 04:29 PM
KT or anyone else, did you watch any MSU games this season? Honest question, and this isn't to bash Newman because I think he seems to be a great kid with talent. But I watched 15-20 MSU games this season and I honestly can't remember one game where he lived up to that 5 Star ranking. I'm not trying to sound like that bitter fan because I truly am not and hoped he came back and stepped it up this year, but Q Weatherspoon was easily the best freshman, and was actually was probably the best player on the team last year. He is who Howland will build the team around. Tough nosed, can shoot, rebound, penetrate...he does not have many weaknesses. Jon Rothstein calls him a future pro and I agree.

Lastly I think Q's stellar play and our recruiting class somewhat intimidated Newman and is partly why he left. Newman has gone on record saying he wants the ball in his hands and wants to run the PG, but his play wasn't good enough

kentubbybasketball
06-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I don't understand the "Q is so good that who cares if we lost Newman" mindset. That would be akin to Golden State saying we will let Klay Thompson walk because we have Step Curry. That's silly. Weatherspoon is good, but he's not going to win anything on his own. Plus, I think Newman left becuase he wants to be a PG and Ready is still there. I think if anything it has more to do with Ready and than anybody knew coming in. Your PGs coming in don't have near the reputation that Newman has for what it's worth.

I'll say this thankfully we didn't land Newman. Jamal Murray was so much better and could be in play for the top draft spot. That said, Newman says he was promised one thing in recruiting and it turned into something else (due to injuries and perhaps his own shortcomings). That is on Howland. Sure, Howland puts players in the NBA, but he's not Coach K, Roy Williams, and Bill Self. He has players leave A LOT. People were so discontented at UCLA with all the transfers that he got fired after winning a conference title. Think about that for a second.

As far as UK. We have had two transfers this offseason, you're correct. However, our situation is different. We turn over more than half our roster every year. It's not unusual given how we do things.

joehogjoe
06-09-2016, 04:54 PM
There were 700 transfers in college basketball this off season I read. That is a poor stat.

I think eligibility should not be restricted as an experiment for say 5 years.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-09-2016, 09:28 PM
I don't understand the "Q is so good that who cares if we lost Newman" mindset. That would be akin to Golden State saying we will let Klay Thompson walk because we have Step Curry. That's silly. Weatherspoon is good, but he's not going to win anything on his own. Plus, I think Newman left becuase he wants to be a PG and Ready is still there. I think if anything it has more to do with Ready and than anybody knew coming in. Your PGs coming in don't have near the reputation that Newman has for what it's worth.

I'll say this thankfully we didn't land Newman. Jamal Murray was so much better and could be in play for the top draft spot. That said, Newman says he was promised one thing in recruiting and it turned into something else (due to injuries and perhaps his own shortcomings). That is on Howland. Sure, Howland puts players in the NBA, but he's not Coach K, Roy Williams, and Bill Self. He has players leave A LOT. People were so discontented at UCLA with all the transfers that he got fired after winning a conference title. Think about that for a second.

As far as UK. We have had two transfers this offseason, you're correct. However, our situation is different. We turn over more than half our roster every year. It's not unusual given how we do things.

If your referring to me I never once Said Q was better so who cares if Newman returned. I said numerous times that I actually would have preferred he stayed. Also, in terms of Q, he and Newman played AAU ball together and have known each other for years and Newman always over shadowed Q....but that changed in college and I don't really think Newman expected to get over shined by Q..and your correct he was promised by Howland to play PG and Howland kept that promise, heck there where games Ready didn't play because of injuries and Newman sole ran PG, but he simply wasn't that good at getting guys involved and running the team. I do agree Ready's return also play a role. While our recruiting class doesn't have the 5 Star Mc Donalds AA, we have six 4 star guys coming who all know how to win. Go take a look at Eli wright when u get a chance....he wold have pushed Newman for minutes at the 2 also..

NCMISSSTFAN
06-09-2016, 09:31 PM
There were 700 transfers in college basketball this off season I read. That is a poor stat.

I think eligibility should not be restricted as an experiment for say 5 years.

Unfortunately your correct and this happens everywhere and way too often

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2016, 02:40 PM
If your referring to me I never once Said Q was better so who cares if Newman returned. I said numerous times that I actually would have preferred he stayed. Also, in terms of Q, he and Newman played AAU ball together and have known each other for years and Newman always over shadowed Q....but that changed in college and I don't really think Newman expected to get over shined by Q..and your correct he was promised by Howland to play PG and Howland kept that promise, heck there where games Ready didn't play because of injuries and Newman sole ran PG, but he simply wasn't that good at getting guys involved and running the team. I do agree Ready's return also play a role. While our recruiting class doesn't have the 5 Star Mc Donalds AA, we have six 4 star guys coming who all know how to win. Go take a look at Eli wright when u get a chance....he wold have pushed Newman for minutes at the 2 also..

So, you am banking off Eli Wright's highlight reel? Did you see Newman's high school highlight reel? That guarantees nothing.

I think MSU fans are writing this off as if Newman leaving will not affect things. It'll affect this current team and future recruiting.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-10-2016, 06:35 PM
So, you am banking off Eli Wright's highlight reel? Did you see Newman's high school highlight reel? That guarantees nothing.

I think MSU fans are writing this off as if Newman leaving will not affect things. It'll affect this current team and future recruiting.

I'm not banking off anything, your not talking to someone who doesn't understand how recruiting, highlights, and evaluation of talent works. Everybody looks good on film, but I do know Wrights team was the only team in America who beat Oak Hill this year, and he led that team game in and out. He will have short comings and downfalls I'm sure but his upside looks great. I like what I do know about him but come on KT we all know all players don't live up to the hype as with Malik, so we are all only projecting and assuming until they actually play a college game

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2016, 07:08 PM
I know. I really don't have a dog in this fight. Playing devil's advocate. I do think Malik Newman is better than some MSU fans realize and they are simply annoyed that he left.

Wave&Dawgs
06-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Tubby jerking himself off over this as expected.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Who are you? I'm not sure you know me enough to say anything about me.

This is the basketball forum, you can take the petty insults elsewhere.

Wave&Dawgs
06-11-2016, 01:13 PM
No one takes your opinions on Mississippi State seriously. You are the joke of this message board.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2016, 01:47 PM
I suppose that's why you responded to my post then. Please. I'm not trying to change anybody's opinion here by the way. All I know is I'm better friends with NC and 4life than you are.

Wave&Dawgs
06-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I have friends in real life, I don't need to make them on a message board.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2016, 04:21 PM
I have friends in real life, I don't need to make them on a message board.

Good for you. I have friends in both.

kentubbybasketball
06-12-2016, 01:45 PM
NC, I found an article you might like. This site in general is a good read for college sports.

http://www.todaysu.com/recruiting/cbb-recruiting/best-rest-mississippi-states-class-not-dogs/

NCMISSSTFAN
06-13-2016, 07:21 AM
Good article, thanks for posting it. I am excited to see what Howland can do with this class. No disrespect to Newman but I think he saw the players coming in and this is part of why he left. Newman visited WKU this weekend, it would not surprise me one bit if he goes there, he wants to run the show somewhere.

kentubbybasketball
06-13-2016, 03:59 PM
If he has an NBA dream, he's afraid of your class???????? Curry and LeBron they are not.

joehogjoe
06-13-2016, 05:00 PM
If he has an NBA dream, he's afraid of your class???????? Curry and LeBron they are not.Curry was a 3 star recruit with no major schools in sight.

kentubbybasketball
06-13-2016, 06:28 PM
So, every three star is Curry? Of course not. Once in a blue moon, it does workout.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-13-2016, 06:54 PM
If he has an NBA dream, he's afraid of your class???????? Curry and LeBron they are not.

Yes I believe he knew he had some talent coming behind him to go along with Ready and Q. Newman wants to be the man...that's why WKU will fit him, he can go there and be the man, Stand will let him

kentubbybasketball
06-13-2016, 06:57 PM
My thing though is if he is afraid of competition is the NBA for him ultimately?

Thinking about it tho, he spurned UK and Kansas for State to begin with. Maybe he was afraid of our talent too then.

joehogjoe
06-13-2016, 10:03 PM
So, every three star is Curry? Of course not. Once in a blue moon, it does workout.

Just pointing out sometimes kids blossom later and recruiting can be hit or miss.

Wave&Dawgs
06-13-2016, 11:16 PM
If Newman goes to WKU, it's official that he's afraid of competition. He just wants to be the star and not be challenged.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Just pointing out sometimes kids blossom later and recruiting can be hit or miss.
Perhaps that's the case, but in Newman's case maybe he blossomed too early. Afterall, he was the best guard in his class for years.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 07:09 AM
If Newman goes to WKU, it's official that he's afraid of competition. He just wants to be the star and not be challenged.

Exactly, that proves the point. I'm not saying 100% that Newman doesn't is afraid of competition, but it surely seems like it. And your right if he goes to WKU or some small team just to run the show, that proves it in my eyes.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Perhaps that's the case, but in Newman's case maybe he blossomed too early. Afterall, he was the best guard in his class for years.

Great point, very well may be the case. He still has time to turn things around and I wouldn't be surprised if he did. But he has to improve at finishing at the rim, his ball handling and his defense.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Exactly, that proves the point. I'm not saying 100% that Newman doesn't is afraid of competition, but it surely seems like it. And your right if he goes to WKU or some small team just to run the show, that proves it in my eyes.

Why can't he simply go there because he wants to. They have a good coach and he'd be in a program with more historical success than the one he left (go look at WKU's history and then compare it to Mississippi State... and before we argue final fours, WKU has just as many as MSU).

Ultimately when your coach doesn't trust you and you don't trust him, why would you not leave? Most guys when they leave SEC schools actually transfer down to mid majors. I think MSU fans are so thankless personally. We've had two guys transfer this year and we haven't criticized either one for choosing to go elsewhere or to a particular school.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Why can't he simply go there because he wants to. They have a good coach and he'd be in a program with more historical success than the one he left (go look at WKU's history and then compare it to Mississippi State... and before we argue final fours, WKU has just as many as MSU).

Ultimately when your coach doesn't trust you and you don't trust him, why would you not leave? Most guys when they leave SEC schools actually transfer down to mid majors. I think MSU fans are so thankless personally. We've had two guys transfer this year and we haven't criticized either one for choosing to go elsewhere or to a particular school.

I've known you for years KT, you know college basketball better than most around here, and IMO you know the answer to this question. Answer this for me, when is the last time a McDonalds AA and #1 SG in the nation at one point, decided to go to a mid major? Now if your talking resume's, Stansbury's resume can't touch Howlands in terms of producing NBA talent. You mentioned school history? Stans wasn't at WKU during there history and Howland wasn't at MSU, so you have to compare the coaches, not the schools.

Another reason Stans has a good shot at landing Newman is because Stans was an assistant at MSU when Horatio played there, so they have a lot of ties together. Bottom line is it is very odd seeing a guy of Newman's caliber go to a school like WKU. Good luck to him though.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 01:23 PM

I've known you for years KT, you know college basketball better than most around here, and IMO you know the answer to this question. Answer this for me, when is the last time a McDonalds AA and #1 SG in the nation at one point, decided to go to a mid major? Now if your talking resume's, Stansbury's resume can't touch Howlands in terms of producing NBA talent. You mentioned school history? Stans wasn't at WKU during there history and Howland wasn't at MSU, so you have to compare the coaches, not the schools.

Another reason Stans has a good shot at landing Newman is because Stans was an assistant at MSU when Horatio played there, so they have a lot of ties together. Bottom line is it is very odd seeing a guy of Newman's caliber go to a school like WKU. Good luck to him though.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2016, 02:00 PM
No, the thing is you're denigrating WKU's program by acting befuddled that a "one-time" elite recruit would go there. Considering I live in western Kentucky and am a fan, I am not going to let somebody trash that program without defending it. Like you say, we've known each other for years, so you know I'm going to comment on it (especially considering it's a school I like and another school that annoys me at times).

Who is even saying Stansbury > Howland. I'm not but considering as many guys as Howland put in the NBA you'd figure he would have gotten more out of his UCLA career, especially the uncerimonious exit. Historically, WKU is a top 3 (maybe better) job in its league. MSU is not that in his league. Newman might have a better chance at going to an NCAAT with WKU and Stans honestly, and it's not like Stans doesn't have the wherewithal to get him to the NBA also... how quickly we forget who the best coach in MSU history is... his name is Rick Stansbury (not Ben Howland). Since he's not good enough for MSU, I'm happy he's back in his home state here in Kentucky, we accept him.

BTW, when you actually say things like Horatio Webster has a connection to Stans and that might be why his son his considering WKU that is actually fair. But, to act like MSU is on cloud 9 and how dare an ex-MSU player consider WKU is silly at best. It is odd to see a guy with Newman's credentials end up at WKU. I'm not denying that. However, considering WKU isn't his first college stop it's not the unusual, especially with the transfer climate as it is now.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 03:59 PM
No, the thing is you're denigrating WKU's program by acting befuddled that a "one-time" elite recruit would go there. Considering I live in western Kentucky and am a fan, I am not going to let somebody trash that program without defending it. Like you say, we've known each other for years, so you know I'm going to comment on it (especially considering it's a school I like and another school that annoys me at times).

Who is even saying Stansbury > Howland. I'm not but considering as many guys as Howland put in the NBA you'd figure he would have gotten more out of his UCLA career, especially the uncerimonious exit. Historically, WKU is a top 3 (maybe better) job in its league. MSU is not that in his league. Newman might have a better chance at going to an NCAAT with WKU and Stans honestly, and it's not like Stans doesn't have the wherewithal to get him to the NBA also... how quickly we forget who the best coach in MSU history is... his name is Rick Stansbury (not Ben Howland). Since he's not good enough for MSU, I'm happy he's back in his home state here in Kentucky, we accept him.

BTW, when you actually say things like Horatio Webster has a connection to Stans and that might be why his son his considering WKU that is actually fair. But, to act like MSU is on cloud 9 and how dare an ex-MSU player consider WKU is silly at best. It is odd to see a guy with Newman's credentials end up at WKU. I'm not denying that. However, considering WKU isn't his first college stop it's not the unusual, especially with the transfer climate as it is now.

Lol, KT calm down man, I personally don't care if Newman was considering Western Ky, Eastern Ky, Northern Ky, Southern Ky or Kentucky School of the blind. My point is its not a program that most elite prospect consider.....bottom line. Rick Stansbury is coaching there, a former coach of MSU's who I defended for years....even defended him with arguments with you so don't start this 'we accept him' talk when you didn't accept him when he coached my school. You had a lot of negative stuff to say about Stans and "the dump" as you used to refer to "the Hump" at times (even though our Arena is far from a dump). I have no problem debating, but call a spade a spade bro, at times you were one of Stansbury's biggest critics. Now all of a sudden you accept him because he coaches in an area you live in.

As far as Newman I legitimately hope he gets things together and becomes successful, when it is all said and done he is a Mississippi kid who I hope does good for himself and his family. Finally to say MSU is not in the top 3 of its league as WKU is.....you absolutely correct, we currently are not, but the SEC is stronger than CUSA and there was a time not too long ago that MSU was definitely in the top 3, and that was when we had a coach named Rick Stansbury, the same guy you bashed daily for years and all of a sudden "accept now".

Wave&Dawgs
06-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Rick Stansbury's resume of sending guys to the NBA includes Mario Austin, Lawrence Roberts, and Jarvis Varnado, and all 3 of those guys flamed out quickly in the league. It's not even a comparison between he and Howland in that regard.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Lol, KT calm down man, I personally don't care if Newman was considering Western Ky, Eastern Ky, Northern Ky, Southern Ky or Kentucky School of the blind. My point is its not a program that most elite prospect consider.....bottom line. Rick Stansbury is coaching there, a former coach of MSU's who I defended for years....even defended him with arguments with you so don't start this 'we accept him' talk when you didn't accept him when he coached my school. You had a lot of negative stuff to say about Stans and "the dump" as you used to refer to "the Hump" at times (even though our Arena is far from a dump). I have no problem debating, but call a spade a spade bro, at times you were one of Stansbury's biggest critics. Now all of a sudden you accept him because he coaches in an area you live in.

As far as Newman I legitimately hope he gets things together and becomes successful, when it is all said and done he is a Mississippi kid who I hope does good for himself and his family. Finally to say MSU is not in the top 3 of its league as WKU is.....you absolutely correct, we currently are not, but the SEC is stronger than CUSA and there was a time not too long ago that MSU was definitely in the top 3, and that was when we had a coach named Rick Stansbury, the same guy you bashed daily for years and all of a sudden "accept now".

Fair points, NC, and you know I hold you in the highest regard, but what do you expect me to do/say? Not support WKU and by extension, Rick Stansbury? I've supported WKU when Dennis Felton, Darrin Horn, Ken McDonald, and Ray Harper coached there too. It has nothing to do with Stans. Like you say with Newman, coaches on Stans' level usually don't end up coaching here at WKU. I mean, he's a guy that made an SEC program. What is MSU without Stans' success as an assistant and head coach? A few good years with Coach McCarthy and nothing else. That's the spade that I'm calling.

BTW, I don't remember ever really bashing Stans all that much honestly. Sure I was critical, but I've been critical of Billy Donovan too for crying out loud at times. I was the one that was saying back then that Stans won more SECW titles than anybody in history. That was me. IT was me who was defending him here when he "retired" or got fired... afterall, MSU has a history of not supporting coaches, Howland will simply be next in line. The only issues I ever had with Stans were:

(1) that 2004 SEC title. That is the reason to this day that I don't like MSU. That title belonged to us that year and MSU couldn't beat us (the Erik Daniels buzzer beater game). If it weren't for us somehow losing to UGA twice that year we would have been champs. I readily admit that's a crazy reason to not like somebody, but as you said I do accept him now. I've over it as it pertains to Coach, especially since he's got the job here.
(2)Stans' comments after the controversial 2010 title game where John Wall broke the free throw plane were ridiculous about how the SEC favors Kentucky. That was rude and disrespectful, given how we had just lost to MSU in the SEC 3 years prior due to Sheray Thomas leaving the free throw line too early.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-14-2016, 09:46 PM
It surely isnt, it's not a comparison in how far either took there teams in the dance either. Look, I have alot of respect for Stansbury, I met him on a few occasions and even went to a basketball camp he was doing when I was in 7th grade...still have that picture with him. He will always be in our record books and I'll always respect him. But Howland is there now and I like the direction of the program. I love our incoming class and I'm excited for the future. Good luck to Newman and Stan's both.

kentubbybasketball
06-14-2016, 09:55 PM
I can respect that. We'll see about Howland, who I think is overrated. Outside of a nice three year period of Final Fours, his resume isn't gaudy. He was so toxic from his last job he had to sit out for two years. Maybe A second chance is what he needs. Since I like you bro I hope it works out for your sake.