Did cal take a shot at Coach K? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Did cal take a shot at Coach K?

Herchel
05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/did-john-calipari-take-a-shot-at-duke-coach-mike-krzyzewski

Kentucky coach John Calipari wrote about the school’s message to prospective recruits as part of a three-part series on his website, but in the process he may have taken a shot shot at Duke and Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski.

“I refuse to go in a home and paint a picture saying things like, ‘If you come with us you’ll be taken care of for the rest of your life by the program and by our alums’ even though you may only be in school for a year or two,” Calipari wrote. “How preposterous does that sound? What if I say that same thing and the young man decides to transfer for one reason or another? Does that still hold true that we’re going to take care of them the rest of their lives? Our approach is to give them the fishing rod and the lures to help them catch fish, not to just give you the fish.”

Calipari may have been referring to recent comments from five-star 2017 shooting guard Hamidou Diallo, who was offered by Duke and Kentucky in April. Diallo is the No. 1 shooting guard in the Class of 2017, according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings, and is also considering offers from Connecticut and Kansas, among others.

“Kentucky’s pitch was just the NBA thing,” Diallo told the Courier-Journal‘s Kyle Tucker. “Duke’s pitch was if you come to Duke, you’re going to be set for life. It’s more than just basketball. (Calipari’s) pitch was he gets guys ready for the next level. Look at the numbers: It shows. It’s the best place for you if you want to make it to the NBA.”

Duke and Kentucky may not play in the same conference, but when it comes to recruiting, it’s hard to find bigger rivals. The Wildcats and Blue Devils consistently compete for the most talented players in the country, pitting Krzyzewski and Calipari in a direct battle for the next one-and-done stars.

Both programs certainly offer advantageous connections, but Calipari went on to discuss how he expects his players, in part, to build a network without the help of the coaching staff.

“I want them to be brothers and build their own contacts and Rolodex in life,” Calipari wrote. “We will always be here to help, but they do not need to be beholden to any of us to use our contacts to help them.”

The two coaches will continue to fight over the top prospects in the future, but as for the upcoming season, Calipari thinks his roster could be one of his best defensive units in recent years. As always, there will be an expectation for the Wildcats to make a deep March Madness run.

“Our goals never change from year to year,” Calipari wrote. “My whole focus this year and every year is that we’re playing our best basketball in March and that each individual player is the best version of themselves at the end of the year. That’s simply what we’re trying to do.

“I can’t wait.”

Storm
05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Both pitches work. If Cal get's you to the NBA, you probably are set for life. Coach K doesn't have the greatest track record in regards to stable NBA players.

SkyAntoine
05-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Rumors are that the admiration each coach had for each other is diminishing now that we're going head to head on all the big recruits. Both coaches will be taking thinly veiled digs at each other in the media moving forward.
Lots of UK recruits say Cal sells them on making $ in the NBA, going against the best in practice and playing for championships. He tells them don't come to Kentucky if you don't want to compete for playing time. There are no promises on starting or even playing. We hear that other schools tell them they're going to play X position and take X shots per game.

I'd give my left pinky nail to be able to hear Cal's sale's pitch to recruits.

Dawgilicious
05-11-2016, 08:23 PM
I always love when guys say that about Coach K. Look at the # of draft picks he has and the longevity of some of his players. He sends plenty of guys to the NBA and many of them play for a long period of time.

kentubbybasketball
05-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Is it off season or not? I mean, really? Cal did not take a shot at Duke. ESPN is trying to make something out of nothing here, by ASSUMING Cal's comment was at Duke.

In terms of what this has become. Kudos to Cal for honest recruiting pitch and basically saying you'll not have it handed to you here. We are happy we have Calipari here. I tell you people make a lot about certain coaches being at certain schools for 35+ years. Given our history with Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Tubby, and now Cal, we're happy here.