Big Ten dominates 2016 Top 10 easiest non-conference schedules [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten dominates 2016 Top 10 easiest non-conference schedules

ECDawg78
05-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Big Ten dominates list of 10 easiest nonconference schedules for 2016

http://a2.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1230%2Fr40073_1296x518_5%2 D2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&location=origin

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh should have a nice, cushy open to the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/15471380/boston-college-eagles-baylor-bears-rank-espn-stats-info-10-easiest-nonconference-college-football-schedules-2016

Bama_Man
05-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Can you post list? It's a insider article, not a free one

Storm
05-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Like I said in the other thread. SOS is nothing but a chest puffer stat now. Win your conference and you're getting into the top 4 as a power 5 conference team. osu's SOS was terrible the year they won it all. Do you think Alabama cared about their weak schedule after getting beat?

ugabrad
05-09-2016, 11:15 AM
There are five power five conference winners and only four playoff spots. How do you think that they are going to choose four out of those five?

joehogjoe
05-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Alabama plays in the SEC so they have a tough schedule automatically but the big 10 has the creamiest schedules of all. It's lite, it's airy like meringue only lighter.

Storm
05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
There are five power five conference winners and only four playoff spots. How do you think that they are going to choose four out of those five?
I haven't worked out all the particulars yet. :lol:

Bama_Man
05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Like I said in the other thread. SOS is nothing but a chest puffer stat now. Win your conference and you're getting into the top 4 as a power 5 conference team. osu's SOS was terrible the year they won it all. Do you think Alabama cared about their weak schedule after getting beat?

Okay, a counter. MSU played a weak B10 schedule and got embarrassed. Just because itnhappened one year does not make it standard, its an outlier nor the norm.

Really Big Bama Fan
05-09-2016, 05:11 PM
The SEC teams will always be ranked near the top of any listing of the toughest schedules because they have to play each other.

BigBamaFan
05-11-2016, 02:43 PM
The only way it will effect the big 10 is if the sec acc pac10 and big 12 all have one good team and block the big 10 out
Its really a crap confrence Mich Ohio are really the only 2 teams worth keeping an eye on.

Both teams will basically play a one game season how crappy is that

Storm
05-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Okay, a counter. MSU played a weak B10 schedule and got embarrassed. Just because itnhappened one year does not make it standard, its an outlier nor the norm.

anybody worth their salt could have watched a multitude of sparty's games last year and known what was about to happen in that game vs Bama. They struggled against some easy opponents, had a miracle victory vs Michigan, and had Urban Meyer coach an entire game with his head up his ass to get there.

Get to the top 4 and anything can happen. But honestly, it's been close to 20 years since Michigan has really done anything, so until they actually start winning rivalry games and beating the teams they are suppose to with regularity, I'll quell my excitement.

SkyAntoine
05-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Does this mean Kentucky would dominate the Big 10? I bet we could at least get to 6 wins.

Storm
05-11-2016, 11:21 PM
6 would be a stretch. Depending on who you played every year, I could see perrenial wins over Rutgers, Purdue, and Illinois. Tossup games every year vs Indy, PSU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and Iowa. And rare wins vs Michigan, osu, Wiscy, and sparty. Not sure that constitutes "dominating." :lol:

ALA2262
05-12-2016, 09:07 AM
6 wins at UK IS dominating!

Storm
05-12-2016, 09:19 AM
touche. lulz

MKfromPA
05-21-2016, 09:04 AM
6 would be a stretch. Depending on who you played every year, I could see perrenial wins over Rutgers, Purdue, and Illinois. Tossup games every year vs Indy, PSU, Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and Iowa. And rare wins vs Michigan, osu, Wiscy, and sparty. Not sure that constitutes "dominating." :lol:

Kentucky would give those "toss up" teams a fight. Maryland, Indiana, PSU, and Minnesota are nothing special. Nebraska is not what it used to be either.

Storm
05-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Kentucky would give those "toss up" teams a fight. Maryland, Indiana, PSU, and Minnesota are nothing special. Nebraska is not what it used to be either.

Right. So there would be years they sweep those 4, lose all 4, or split all 4. Was just to the point I doubted they would "dominate."

MKfromPA
05-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Right. So there would be years they sweep those 4, lose all 4, or split all 4. Was just to the point I doubted they would "dominate."

Sure. Though if one looks at it from the other perspective, if those bottom 4 B1G teams played in the SEC, they may only win a few conference games per year. The bottom of the SEC is superior than the bottom of the B1G. I know out of context, but just a comparison. :)

MKfromPA
10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Going into the game against Penn State last night, I don't know how Ohio State was ranked #6 in the nation. Before their win last night, here's who they beat - Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Army, UNLV, and Rutgers. All those teams suck. I guess the media really loves the Buckeyes, as they seem to every single year. Also, how is Oklahoma ranked #10 when they went into Columbus and beat Ohio State soundly? OU also only had one loss...

Storm
10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
It's what you get with a big name in a Power 5. Just how osu snuck into the playoffs over TCU and Baylor a few years ago and were put in over ped state last year.

It's another reason why, as a Michigan fan, I don't care about the respectability of the conference around the nation. As a major name in a power 5, if you win your games or your conference, you're always going to get a playoff nod over other teams.

now UM just has be in that position. LOL

MKfromPA
10-30-2017, 10:33 AM
That's true, storm. Please beat tOSU and let justice ring!

The good news about this year is everything will take care of itself, with regard to The Playoff. Alabama will likely play UGA in the SECCG, OU will likely play IA State in the B12 Champ Game, Ohio State will likely play Wisconsin in the B1G Champ Game, etc. So when it's all said and done, the teams in The Playoff should be clear.

Storm
10-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Notre Dame is going to cause some problems as they may steal a bid. Should be interesting. Especially if say Georgia were to pull off the upset over Bama.

MKfromPA
10-31-2017, 06:22 PM
Yeah they could. Irish are hot right now. But, if they get too cocky, they could lose. It's ND and I wouldn't be surprised. LOL.

ugabrad
10-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Well, according to the initial CFP rankings, Notre Dame is in, being ranked #3. Their only loss is a 1 point loss (at home) to the team that is ranked 1st.

SCgamecock2988
11-01-2017, 10:51 AM
The only reason even SOME SEC teams have decent non-conference schedules is because some of our natural rivals play in other P5 conferences. If we didn't have Clemson every year we'd be in need of way better non-conference games. This year we did schedule NC State, but the others were LA Tech and Wofford. Is the Big 10 doing worse than this? I mean SEC teams typically give themselves a pass for the tough schedules each year by scheduling the Woffords, Coastal Carolinas, and [in before] CITADELS of the country (rather, region) each year. The Big 10 doesn't have the advantage of having teams with rivals outside of the conference, except those that maybe play Notre Dame each year (I think Michigan State does??). You have to look at it from all angles.

Storm
11-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Michigan renews it's rivalry with Notre Dame next season. B1G also upped it's conference game schedule a few years back, leaving only 3 OCC games available. Down from 4. Not sure how many the SEC plays. But with limited games like that, you have to schedule at least one meaningful OCC game, IMO.

Even if ND wins out, I think their lack of conference championship game (or conf in general, lol) will bite them

SCgamecock2988
11-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Michigan renews it's rivalry with Notre Dame next season. B1G also upped it's conference game schedule a few years back, leaving only 3 OCC games available. Down from 4. Not sure how many the SEC plays. But with limited games like that, you have to schedule at least one meaningful OCC game, IMO.

Even if ND wins out, I think their lack of conference championship game (or conf in general, lol) will bite them

I have to disagree. If they finish with 1 loss which is very likely it very clearly help them out. One less game to hurt them.

MKfromPA
11-01-2017, 08:56 PM
The only reason even SOME SEC teams have decent non-conference schedules is because some of our natural rivals play in other P5 conferences. If we didn't have Clemson every year we'd be in need of way better non-conference games. This year we did schedule NC State, but the others were LA Tech and Wofford. Is the Big 10 doing worse than this? I mean SEC teams typically give themselves a pass for the tough schedules each year by scheduling the Woffords, Coastal Carolinas, and [in before] CITADELS of the country (rather, region) each year. The Big 10 doesn't have the advantage of having teams with rivals outside of the conference, except those that maybe play Notre Dame each year (I think Michigan State does??). You have to look at it from all angles.

Ohio State played Oklahoma, Army, and UNLV in OOC.

ugabrad
11-01-2017, 11:07 PM
It seems to me that since the development of the CFP and the announcement of how SOS plays into their rankings, all the teams that have pretensions towards reaching the final four have started scheduling at least one Power 5 OOC game. Some have two (Georgia has Notre Dame and Tech this year, SC has NC State and Clemson, Florida has Michigan and Fla St, etc). I would hope that if the SEC goes to a nine conference game schedule then UGA would drop down to one cupcake per year and keep the more interesting Power 5 OOC games.

MKfromPA
11-02-2017, 06:44 PM
It seems to me that since the development of the CFP and the announcement of how SOS plays into their rankings, all the teams that have pretensions towards reaching the final four have started scheduling at least one Power 5 OOC game. Some have two (Georgia has Notre Dame and Tech this year, SC has NC State and Clemson, Florida has Michigan and Fla St, etc). I would hope that if the SEC goes to a nine conference game schedule then UGA would drop down to one cupcake per year and keep the more interesting Power 5 OOC games.

And it makes sense because the Playoff Committee thoroughly evaluates team's schedules, including OOC. They aren't going to reward any school for playing a bunch of cupcakes. I think those teams can be weeded out and they have been.