Tubby Smith [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Smith

NCMISSSTFAN
04-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Not SEC related but he's got plenty of ties to our league so I decided to post anyways. He took the HC job at Memphis....How do you guys feel about that? I personally think Memphis is a really good move, Cal turned Memphis into a National power during his time there and they have the tools and facilities for a proven guy like Tubby to come in and bring them back to the Derrick Rose days IMO. I don't think he is the recruiter that Cal is/was there but I think he brings instant credibility back to that program.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2016, 03:48 PM
You already know how I feel, bro. This is the closest Tubby's ever coached to me (even when he was at UK). I'll be in memphis quite a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoDores
04-14-2016, 04:38 PM
David Williams said Vandy talked with 5 current D1 head coaches about the open position. There was a rumor that Tubby was one of them. Looks like there could be some truth to it with him leaving Texas Tech.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Thankfully Tubby's at Memphis and not Vandy. I think we all could say that.

I wonder if some people (*Drew, Beard*) wish they would have held off on moving.

SkyAntoine
04-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Good pickup by Memphis. I hope they appreciate a good solid coach and have realistic expectations.
Tubby leaves UK because fans say he's not getting it done...we hire Billy Clyde.
Tubby leaves Minnesota...they hire Ricky P, Jr. (so far a disaster)
Tubby leaves Texas Tech...they get someone not as good as Tubby.

GoDores
04-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Thankfully Tubby's at Memphis and not Vandy. I think we all could say that.

I wonder if some people (*Drew, Beard*) wish they would have held off on moving.

Yes, definitely thankful we didn't get Tubby.

But Bryce Drew reached out to Vandy first on the opening. He's also turned down other coaching offers in recent years, including a power 5 school (I think Iowa State). I think he's just fine with Vandy.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Good pickup by Memphis. I hope they appreciate a good solid coach and have realistic expectations.
Tubby leaves UK because fans say he's not getting it done...we hire Billy Clyde.
Tubby leaves Minnesota...they hire Ricky P, Jr. (so far a disaster)
Tubby leaves Texas Tech...they get someone not as good as Tubby.
Always woks out that way. Take it one step further.

Tubby leaves Tulsa... they hire Steve Robinson (not as good).

Tubby leaves UGA... Ron Jirsa inherits it (not as good).

Tubby has left every school on the heels on an NCAAT bid. At UK he won a game in every SINGLE NCAAT he appeared in. Tubby's a Hall of Famer as Rothstein said today.

Tubby has instantly made Memphis the best program in the state of Tennessee again. His good friend Rick Barnes might challenge that at UT (top 35 class is coming in at UT), but given the resources at his disposal, the history, the facilities, Memphis could return to where Cal had them relevant on a consistent basis.

What about this Sky: Kentucky, Texas Tech, and Memphis all sharing coaches. At least two UK coaches have coached at both of those programs now. What a contorted history we share.

I didn't hear the Vandy rumors... did you, Sky. I highly doubt Tubby would have left one power league school in the bottom half of its conference (Texas Tech) for another one (Vandy). I couldn't imagine Tubby coaching at Vandy or even wanting to. Either way he had yesterday and has today a better job than Vandy anyway. Things work out how they are supposed to all the time.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Sky and NC, I think another interesting dynamic with this whole thing is that rumor has it Texas Tech was supposed to play at Rupp soon (maybe in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge), at which point Tubby's UK jersey would be retired up there with Pitino before him. I doubt you see Memphis and UK play home and home, given that Memphis hates Calipari. Tubby and Cal though are great friends. It was great to watch Tubby get the Wooden Legends in coaching award this past Friday, as Cal watched from the audience. As a matter of fact, Tubby and Cal talked today about Tubby taking the job.

To me those are the two best coaches in the country and I've said it for years. Great to see both programs benefitting. If UK and Memphis just would have done a coach swap in 2007, we would have not had to deal with Gillispie.

joehogjoe
04-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Tiger High made a pretty good choice. Now TT looks to hire Chris Beard.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-14-2016, 09:29 PM
KT, I know your pretty excited about this. I'm really excited to see him turn Memphis back to a National power, he will surely have the resources at his disposal. I haven't looked at their roster in a while, what do you know about them?

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Well we had 7 freshmen that are coming back, including the Lawsons, who are the big games. We are going to try to add 3 or 4, although we have 6 schollys that we could fill (we have one recruit coming in, a JUCO). I think we are a bit weaker at guard, Markel Crawford is maybe the most familiar name in the backcourt.

GoDores
04-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Tubby has left every school on the heels on an NCAAT bid. At UK he won a game in every SINGLE NCAAT he appeared in. Tubby's a Hall of Famer as Rothstein said today.

Tubby has instantly made Memphis the best program in the state of Tennessee again. His good friend Rick Barnes might challenge that at UT (top 35 class is coming in at UT), but given the resources at his disposal, the history, the facilities, Memphis could return to where Cal had them relevant on a consistent basis.

What about this Sky: Kentucky, Texas Tech, and Memphis all sharing coaches. At least two UK coaches have coached at both of those programs now. What a contorted history we share.

I didn't hear the Vandy rumors... did you, Sky. I highly doubt Tubby would have left one power league school in the bottom half of its conference (Texas Tech) for another one (Vandy). I couldn't imagine Tubby coaching at Vandy or even wanting to. Either way he had yesterday and has today a better job than Vandy anyway. Things work out how they are supposed to all the time.

You try so, so hard. So hard. Did you apply to Vandy and get rejected? Do I need to set a PM to let you talk about some things...air it out?

GoDores
04-15-2016, 10:00 AM
KT, can I get your thoughts on this: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article71888192.html

WINNER: Vanderbilt. In landing Bryce Drew, Vandy appears to have won the coaching carousel lottery. Drew, 41, has five years of head-coaching experience, having led Valparaiso to two NCAA Tournament appearances and a runner-up finish in the 2016 NIT. Still famous for the 1998 NCAA tourney buzzer beater he hit as a Valpo player to beat Mississippi, Drew would seem to have the pizzazz to finally allow Vanderbilt, a “basketball school” that has never made a Final Four, to get to the proverbial “next level.”

There are others like it, but I chose this one because the header is blue and says Kentucky so I know you'll believe it.

SkyAntoine
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf8Lad9UsAA6mY2.jpg

VandyChuck
04-15-2016, 12:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2016, 02:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf8Lad9UsAA6mY2.jpg

Neat graphic. Flowcharts are needed for things like that. It's also interesting to see the order in which they went to each school

Tubby: Kentucky--TTU--Memphis
Gillisipie: Kentucky---TTU
Cal: Memphis---Kentucky

Some things you just can't make up.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2016, 02:39 PM
KT, can I get your thoughts on this: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article71888192.html

WINNER: Vanderbilt. In landing Bryce Drew, Vandy appears to have won the coaching carousel lottery. Drew, 41, has five years of head-coaching experience, having led Valparaiso to two NCAA Tournament appearances and a runner-up finish in the 2016 NIT. Still famous for the 1998 NCAA tourney buzzer beater he hit as a Valpo player to beat Mississippi, Drew would seem to have the pizzazz to finally allow Vanderbilt, a “basketball school” that has never made a Final Four, to get to the proverbial “next level.”

There are others like it, but I chose this one because the header is blue and says Kentucky so I know you'll believe it.

What thoughts? The fact that they put quotes around the idea that Vandy is a "basketball school." It's a baseball and bowling school, right?

joehogjoe
04-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Tubby in Memphis won't be good for Tennessee and Vandy.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2016, 02:59 PM

I agree. Who really knows how Bryce Drew will do at Vandy. He's unproven at this level. He's coming from a league that basically fired all its coaches the last few years it seems. Rick Barnes will be tougher to handle from Tubby's point of view IMO.

GoDores
04-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Vandy almost never competes with Memphis for recruits. IF Tubby has success at Memphis, that will have much more of an affect on UT than Vandy. A good Memphis team probably has more of an adverse effect on Ole Miss and Arkansas before it would on Vandy also.

GoDores
04-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Let's just deal with facts here for a second. We need to pump the brakes.

The Tubster has had 9 coaching seasons since he left (was forced out of) Kentucky. In all 9 of those seasons he has not had a single winning record in conference. That would be 0 winning records in conference. And he only holds a 56% winning percentage in all games total.

Why is anyone supposed to be afraid of what Tubby is going to do at Memphis?

joehogjoe
04-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Vandy almost never competes with Memphis for recruits. IF Tubby has success at Memphis, that will have much more of an affect on UT than Vandy. A good Memphis team probably has more of an adverse effect on Ole Miss and Arkansas before it would on Vandy also.It's won't have any affect on the Hogs. We'll still get the occasional recruit out of Memphis but Arkansas has a fantastic number of instate players the next several years that will represent the core of our teams. Now Ole Miss may well have issues.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Let's just deal with facts here for a second. We need to pump the brakes.

The Tubster has had 9 coaching seasons since he left (was forced out of) Kentucky. In all 9 of those seasons he has not had a single winning record in conference. That would be 0 winning records in conference. And he only holds a 56% winning percentage in all games total.

Why is anyone supposed to be afraid of what Tubby is going to do at Memphis?

If I was Vandy, I'd be afraid of anybody with Tubby or Rick Barnes' reaume. I mean, Vandy needed a play in game to make the field this year with the best talent you'll probably ever have. On Tubby's level, Vandy is not. That's why I was laughing at the idea that Tubby would even be looking at Vandy. It was probably a courtesy to David Williams when Vandy came calling.

Yiur new coach couldn't even beat GW in the NIT finals. Let's not act like your coach is Tubby or Calipari... or even Stallings.
What kind of facts are you even looking at? Tubby wasn't forced out. We gave him a 3 million dollar loyalty bonus that he wasn't due as a sign of appreciation. Not to mention he was inducted into UK's Hall of Fame and will have his jersey retired. That's the facts and reality.

Does Tubby need to beat Vandy by another 62 pts to get the point across?

GoDores
04-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Funny how you have to go back to Tubbys days at UK to defend him. And why do you always bring Vandy up?

Tubby hasn't had a winning record in conference in a decade and your response is.......?

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Vandy was brought up by you. We couldn't get three posts into this thread without you mentioning Vandy as if they're a factor in the level of basketball that Tubby operates in. All I said was Tubby has the best job in Tennessee. Honestly its not far fetched to say. Tennessee fans could argue i suppose. Joe doubled down on it and agreed. That's when your feelings got hurt. You brought up Vandy. That's the "facts", to use your word frm earlier.

As far Tubby's conference records and overall record, I didn't say anything because it needs no defense. Tubby is Big 12 Coach of the Year. No offense but Bill Self said Tubby should win. I'll listen to Self over you. Tubby improved Minnesota and Texas Tech. At Minnesota they only NCAAT game we've won in the past 25 years was under Tubby Smith. At Texas Tech there had been 3 coaches the years prior to Tubby and in 3 years he had them in the NCAAT while winning Wooden's Legacy in coaching award. Rebuilding with the precious coach having been fired for futility isn't easy, especially against Izzo, Ryan. Matta, Beilein, Self, Huggs, etc. As I said the record speaks for itself. Tubby's record didnt keep Tech from begging him to stay with a contract that would've made him the third highest coach in the league. It also didn't keep Memphis from begging him to come.

I realize being a Vandy fan it might be hard for you to recognize what a good coach is, but Tubby certainly is.

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2016, 11:09 AM
And by the way, I'm using Tubby's UK days to defend him. I'm a UK and Tubby fan. Wow you blew my cover. No kidding Sherlock. Of course I'm using his UK days. I'd use Tulsa, UGA, Minny, and TTU if I needed to. Tubby's resume is good. That's why he's the best paid coach in Tennessee with the best overall program. We've had three coaches go to the final four and currently have a final four coach. Only UT has a final four coach in this state.

GoDores
04-16-2016, 01:15 PM
We'll have a chance for a perfect comparison of Memphis, Vandy and Tennessee with new coaches. Let's check back in 3 years.

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Absolutely let's. The less proven of the three is who we all know. It says something that the only former NBA among the three is lesser known of the three. The others have coached for longer than Drew's been living. Drew has inherited the best roster fwiw.

GoDores
04-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Absolutely let's. The less proven of the three is who we all know. It says something that the only former NBA among the three is lesser known of the three. The others have coached for longer than Drew's been living. Drew has inherited the best roster fwiw.

Backtracking already.

You said yourself that Vandy is a bottom half program. You can't have it both ways.

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Vandy is bottom half of the league IMO. That means there are at least 7 better SEC programs. Would you disagree that there are not seven better SEC programs than Vandy? What has Vandy done since 2012; what have they done historically? You just ran off your most successful coach ever fwiw. I'm just admitting the obvious when it comes to the roster situation left at all three schools by the previous coaches. Tennessee was gutted by the loss of Cuonzo and Donnie Tyndall within a year, and Tubby has basically no guards with experience at Memphis. It's not backtracking. It'll be that much sweeter when Tubby turns us around quickly like he did Tulsa, UGA, Minnesota, and Texas Tech, considering what he's come from. I mean, there's a reason Scott Drew took Vandy over Ga tech and it's not because of the program's league or history.

VandyChuck
04-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Vandy is bottom half of the league IMO. That means there are at least 7 better SEC programs. Would you disagree that there are not seven better SEC programs than Vandy? What has Vandy done since 2012; what have they done historically? You just ran off your most successful coach ever fwiw. I'm just admitting the obvious when it comes to the roster situation left at all three schools by the previous coaches. Tennessee was gutted by the loss of Cuonzo and Donnie Tyndall within a year, and Tubby has basically no guards with experience at Memphis. It's not backtracking. It'll be that much sweeter when Tubby turns us around quickly like he did Tulsa, UGA, Minnesota, and Texas Tech, considering what he's come from. I mean, there's a reason Scott Drew took Vandy over Ga tech and it's not because of the program's league or history.

Only 4 other SEC schools went to the NCAA tournament as much as Vandy has in the last 16 years (the Stallings ERA).

Vandy has by far an upper half tradition in the SEC. Look at the all-time records and get back to me, or just keep crying while you type because we're not bowing at the feet of Lord Tubby.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Vandy has no final four. Routinely never wins its league, is often under .500 in the SEC. Vandy markets itself as a hoops school, whereas other schools in this league do not and are still better.

BTW, your opinion of Tubby really doesn't matter to me, but thanks for shifting the thread back to what is relevant.

VandyChuck
04-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Vandy has no final four. Routinely never wins its league, is often under .500 in the SEC. Vandy markets itself as a hoops school, whereas other schools in this league do not and are still better.

BTW, your opinion of Tubby really doesn't matter to me, but thanks for shifting the thread back to what is relevant.

Vandy has finished under .500 in the conference twice in the last 10 years...(8-10 and 7-11).

They "routinely" have 10 or more wins in conference. 5 of the last 10 years.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Vandy has finished under .500 in the conference twice in the last 10 years...(8-10 and 7-11).

They "routinely" have 10 or more wins in conference. 5 of the last 10 years.

Chuck, which is it. You talk historically at first, which means the programs entire history. Vandy's had plenty years of futility. Now you're trying to narrow it to Vandy's "golden era" the last ten years which clearly wasn't good enough to keep Stallings. For clarification, since I said Vandy wasn't top 7 I'd say Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU, Bama, and UT are better. Mizzou has plenty of Elite 8s and was good in the Big 8/12. LSU has at least three final fours and has more SEC titles than Vandy. UT and Bama have a stash of SEC and SECT titles, too

Stop acting like you're program is historically great like Kansas or has been Florida the last ten years.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Back to Memphis. Nothing like you and Go hijacking a thread with Vandy stuff. Open your own thread if you wanna talk the merits of Vandy being an all-time program. I'll follow you there.

VandyChuck
04-17-2016, 09:24 PM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/schools.html

Rk School From To Yrs G W L W-L% SRS SOS AP CREG CTRN NCAA FF NC
1 Kentucky 1933 2016 83 2504 1972 532 .788 17.52 6.52 48 52 30 56 17 8
2 Alabama 1933 2016 83 2291 1406 885 .614 7.03 4.32 15 9 6 20 0 0
3 Tennessee 1933 2016 83 2252 1381 871 .613 7.98 4.90 11 12 4 20 0 0
4 Vanderbilt 1933 2016 84 2229 1322 907 .593 8.30 4.68 11 3 2 14 0 0
5 Florida 1933 2016 83 2256 1292 963 .573 7.33 4.60 13 9 4 19 5 2
6 Louisiana State 1933 2016 84 2283 1273 1010 .558 5.31 4.19 12 11 1 21 4 0
7 Mississippi State 1933 2016 83 2186 1154 1032 .528 3.72 4.16 11 12 3 10 1 0
8 Auburn 1933 2016 83 2139 1134 1005 .530 4.97 3.91 5 2 1 8 0 0
9 Georgia 1933 2016 84 2268 1117 1151 .493 3.60 4.62 5 2 2 12 1 0
10 Mississippi 1933 2016 83 2218 1081 1135 .488 2.11 4.14 2 5 2 8 0 0
11 Arkansas 1992 2016 25 811 502 309 .619 12.37 6.62 7 4 1 13 2 1
12 South Carolina 1992 2016 25 783 401 382 .512 7.91 7.25 3 2 0 3 0 0
13 Georgia Tech 1933 1964 32 692 365 327 .527 -2.68 -1.29 1 1 1 1 0 0
14 Tulane 1933 1966 34 726 349 377 .481 -4.44 -0.75 1 0 0 0 0 0
15 Texas A&M 2013 2016 4 137 85 52 .620 10.29 5.71 0 1 0 1 0 0
16 Missouri 2013 2016 4 132 65 67 .492 7.27 7.25 0 0 0 1 0 0
17 Sewanee 1933 1940 8 118 13 105 .110 0 0 0 0 0 0

VandyChuck
04-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Oh and you want to talk about "hijacking threads", go read the last 3 pages of the "VANDY'S NEW COACH" thread.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2016, 10:05 PM

Is it about win/loss or championships. Again, it is about titles, isn't that Stallings' undoing? Vandy doesn't measure up to UF or LSU when it comes to titles. You left off the SEC titles numbers. When's the last one that Vandy won? 1993? What about SECT counts?

Tubby has won 5 SECs, 5 SECTs, been to 7 finals between UGA and UGA. Tubby along as a "program" has better numbers than Vandy. Lol

Listen though, let's start a new thread and discuss Vandy there.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2016, 10:08 PM

Is it about win/loss or championships. Again, it is about titles, isn't that Stallings' undoing? Vandy doesn't measure up to UF or LSU when it comes to titles. You left off the SEC titles numbers. When's the last one that Vandy won? 1993? What about SECT counts?

Tubby has won 5 SECs, 5 SECTs, been to 7 finals between UGA and UGA. Tubby along as a "program" has better numbers than Vandy. I'm being silly with that honestly.