Bryce Drew is Vandy's new head coach [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Drew is Vandy's new head coach

VandyChuck
04-05-2016, 03:01 PM
It's official. Sorry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rm_eAiV4dA), Ole Miss fans.

I'm quite happy with the hire. Won the Horizon League 4 out of the last 5 years, and his teams' Pomeroy ratings have been steadily rising every year. He should do well here. At the very least he generates excitement amongst a fanbase that had grown a little bored with the previous regime.

Herchel
04-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Congrats.

GoDores
04-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I'd imagine we'll be in the mix for grad transfer Alec Peters who played under Drew at Valpo (assuming we lose 1 underclassman from last year's roster). Fran Fraschilla called him next season's Doug McDermott.

VandyChuck
04-05-2016, 05:22 PM
I'd imagine we'll be in the mix for grad transfer Alec Peters who played under Drew at Valpo (assuming we lose 1 underclassman from last year's roster). Fran Fraschilla called him next season's Doug McDermott.

He looks like a fine player, but I wish he could play PG. I have a SNEAKING suspicion we might see Damian back next year. I think Baldwin is 100% gone, but.....I don't know. Maybe I'm just being optimistic. I have no inside info.

GoDores
04-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Yea, I'm with you. I think Baldwin is gone too and we could really be more in the market for a PG rather than another forward. I guess Bryce may need to make that decision on whether to pursue Peters or maybe go after a PG. If Damian does go though, what a nice fall back it would be to bring Peters in.

Riley played true PG the last month or so of the season, so that eased my tension a little bit. But Riley is more of a natural 2 to me. Maybe Willis as a true freshman can come right in and be a big contributor at point, we'll see.

VandyChuck
04-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Yea, I'm with you. I think Baldwin is gone too and we could really be more in the market for a PG rather than another forward. I guess Bryce may need to make that decision on whether to pursue Peters or maybe go after a PG. If Damian does go though, what a nice fall back it would be to bring Peters in.

Riley played true PG the last month or so of the season, so that eased my tension a little bit. But Riley is more of a natural 2 to me. Maybe Willis as a true freshman can come right in and be a big contributor at point, we'll see.

Another factor is if Drew wants to leave his alma mater being perceived as a "poacher". Not sure if Peters followed him to Vandy, it would look very good on him, and he knows that.

Bama_Man
04-05-2016, 07:19 PM
That's a great hire IMO, one of the few upgrades from Stallings that VU could land. He has credibility as a player (lol now he can torture OM ever year) and as a coach. Winning the Horizon League is a big deal, its not like winning the MEAC or some other bad conference, its one of if not the best non P5 bball league. Its right up there with the WCC and A10 IMO, and Drew had a lot of success at Valpo.

GoDores
04-05-2016, 10:15 PM
I've read Peters is really close with the former Valpo coaching staff. Some Valpo fans want to promote an assistant coach to HC with the hopes of keeping Peters.

darthvaderbilt
04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Baldwin has announced

VandyChuck
04-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Coach's first two duties should be to convince Damian to stay, and go find himself a grad transfer PG.

A lot of people didn't think much of Sheldon Mitchell transferring last year...I knew it would come back to bite us. He's a future star, IMO.

GoDores
04-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Coach's first two duties should be to convince Damian to stay, and go find himself a grad transfer PG.

A lot of people didn't think much of Sheldon Mitchell transferring last year...I knew it would come back to bite us. He's a future star, IMO.

Would you pick an average grad transfer PG over Peters? I think I'd be inclined to go Peters. If we can get a really good/great transfer PG, I'm down with that.

Totally agree on Mitchell. He was our best penetrator 2 seasons ago. Can't predict the future, but it'd be his show for the next 2 years if he stayed.

VandyChuck
04-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Would you pick an average grad transfer PG over Peters? I think I'd be inclined to go Peters. If we can get a really good/great transfer PG, I'm down with that.

Totally agree on Mitchell. He was our best penetrator 2 seasons ago. Can't predict the future, but it'd be his show for the next 2 years if he stayed.

If Damian comes back (which I think is 50/50 right now), I don't think we need the kid, honestly...We REAAAALLY need a PG. Riley is not a true PG. The freshman guard coming in is more of a combo. I think Riley could do ok, but he can't play 40 minutes a game at the 1.

SkyAntoine
04-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Solid hire. The SEC has made a commitment to go for quality coaches. Hopefully, the product across the board improves. I'm beginning to accept UK may not go 40-0 each year so let's all play the best teams we can.

GoDores
04-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Press conference takeaway: he went aggressive about hoping everyone on the team comes back next year.

GoDores
04-07-2016, 02:21 PM
If Damian comes back (which I think is 50/50 right now), I don't think we need the kid, honestly...We REAAAALLY need a PG. Riley is not a true PG. The freshman guard coming in is more of a combo. I think Riley could do ok, but he can't play 40 minutes a game at the 1.

Sounds like Damian is leaning towards NBA. I'd say he's gone as long as he gets a good draft report. Granted I've only seen a small youtube sample, but Peters could be a huge addition if we lose Damian. Give me Peters and a nice grad transfer PG and we're a top SEC team next year.

GoDores
04-07-2016, 03:52 PM
And now Peters declares for the NBA draft, but won't hire an agent. Gonna get really interesting here for Vandy over the next month.