Kevin Stallings - Stay or Go [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Stallings - Stay or Go

GoDores
03-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Anybody got any insight on Stallings? Think he's at Vandy next year?

Rumor out that SLU and Stallings have mutual interest. I think Vandy may be giving him a chance to get that job so they don't have to force him out.

And then what happens with Damian Jones and Wade Baldwin? Do they enter the draft or do they come back. A lot in flux right now. If I could only have one back, I think I'd choose Jones, even though PG is a more important position than center. Baldwin is a good player, I just think he plays a little too selfish at times. At times I wondered if he was playing for the scouts rather than playing for Vandy.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-23-2016, 02:03 PM
What is SLU? Vandy can probably do better than Stallings. The program there is a desirable one that is capable of winning.

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2016, 03:21 PM
The fact that he's a St. Louis native makes SLU make sense.

I am never in favor of firing a coach with the measure of success that Stallings has... especially at a place like Vandy. I think you could argue Vandy needs Stallings more than the other way around... and before I get bashed for having an opinion, I'm not a fan of Stallings or Vandy.

As for Jones vs Baldwin. I think Jones' offensive ability is so great. He's very versatile, but dude fouls like a freshman big.

Dawgilicious
03-23-2016, 03:36 PM
If Vandy lets him go, where are they looking. Brad Underwood is already off the board. Whom would they be able to persuade to make the move?

I can see why Stallings would take the SLU job though.

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Vandy is under the impression that Will Wade is coming. I'd imagine he'd not leave VCU for what a job with the restrictions that Vandy has.

GoDores
03-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Vandy is an upper third SEC job at least. We can consistently be a top 20 program. Back in Stallings' best stretch from '07-'12 we were in the top 25 in attendance nationally. This would (will) be an attractive opening, given nothing else other the roster and city.

I like the Will Wade candidacy. Wade was an assistant at Harvard for a couple seasons and helped recruit a couple of the really good classes they had there. He's got a top 100 player signed to VCU for next season. So it looks like he can recruit. He coached with Shaka at VCU so I like that.

I'm certain he's up there on the list, but I also understand the risk with him. He's had success everywhere, just not a large sample size. The upside is huge with him though. I think it's worth the risk though. We have a chance to basically get in on the ground floor with him.

It sounds like the news on Stallings will be made public here pretty soon. I think a change is coming.

GoDores
03-24-2016, 01:52 PM
I think VCU is a good job too though. Vandy can just make the first number in front of the dollar sign higher. Plus Nashville is where he grew up through high school.

kentubbybasketball
03-24-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't know who Vandy thinks they are, but perhaps a reality check is in order. Stallings is the best coach in Vandy history. I'm not trying to sound rude, but the chances of getting a coach that will be more successful than Stallings are not high. Now does that mean Vandy still shouldn't try to be better? Of course not, I'm just thinking this will turn into a Mississippi State fire Stansbury for Ray kind of deal.

Vandy is in the SEC and has more money as a result, but to be under the impression that VCU isn't committed enough to match whatever Vandy would offer is crazy. VCU's program is better IMO.

kentubbybasketball
03-24-2016, 03:45 PM
BTW, King Rice would make the most sense to me if Vandy did fire Stallings, although that might be awkward given I assume Stallings and Rice are still close after having worked together at Vandy.

GoDores
03-24-2016, 04:45 PM
I don't know who Vandy thinks they are, but perhaps a reality check is in order. Stallings is the best coach in Vandy history. I'm not trying to sound rude, but the chances of getting a coach that will be more successful than Stallings are not high. Now does that mean Vandy still shouldn't try to be better? Of course not, I'm just thinking this will turn into a Mississippi State fire Stansbury for Ray kind of deal.

Vandy is in the SEC and has more money as a result, but to be under the impression that VCU isn't committed enough to match whatever Vandy would offer is crazy. VCU's program is better IMO.

Who is Vandy?

We'll see what happens because Stallings is out.

darthvaderbilt
03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
wrong again

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Honestly, what was Vandy's ceiling before Stallings took the job? I am not sure if you are into their history like that or not, but they didn't seem to be close to where they are at now. What happens if Wade says thanks, but no thanks? Whom would they realistically go out and get

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Dawg, what has happened to us this year? We've not really had one argument all season (the first time ever), and we agree here on Stallings and Vandy's ceiling.

GoDores
03-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Honestly, what was Vandy's ceiling before Stallings took the job? I am not sure if you are into their history like that or not, but they didn't seem to be close to where they are at now. What happens if Wade says thanks, but no thanks? Whom would they realistically go out and get

Yea, I'm on board that Stallings has elevated the program from when he took over to now. Back in the early '90s Eddie Fogler has Vandy going in the right direction, won the SEC, but didn't have the necessary support from the administration which caused him to go elsewhere. Stallings has benefited from administrative support too that other coaches didn't always have.

But after 17 seasons, I think we've seen what Stallings can do and we've plateaued. This isn't just a wins/losses thing. Stallings runs a clean program, players graduate, etc. But he is also not a players coach, and I don't think all players enjoy playing for him as much as they could. Within the last 3-4 seasons, our transfer list is too long. It's just time for a change of scenery for both parties. 1 NCAA tournament win in the last 5 appearances isn't going to cut it.

Will Wade could very well say no thanks. This isn't a Will Wade or bust mission for me though. I think he just makes the most realistic sense. I don't even think Will Wade is Vandy's first call.

Just to give you another name, Kevin Keatts at UNC-Wilmington. I've heard a lot of good things about him. 2 conference titles and 2 COY awards. Known as a good recruiter.

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Dawg, what has happened to us this year? We've not really had one argument all season (the first time ever), and we agree here on Stallings and Vandy's ceiling.

I am not sure. Maybe it is just one of those years where we are on the same plateau...haha

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Yea, I'm on board that Stallings has elevated the program from when he took over to now. Back in the early '90s Eddie Fogler has Vandy going in the right direction, won the SEC, but didn't have the necessary support from the administration which caused him to go elsewhere. Stallings has benefited from administrative support too that other coaches didn't always have.

But after 17 seasons, I think we've seen what Stallings can do and we've plateaued. This isn't just a wins/losses thing. Stallings runs a clean program, players graduate, etc. But he is also not a players coach, and I don't think all players enjoy playing for him as much as they could. Within the last 3-4 seasons, our transfer list is too long. It's just time for a change of scenery for both parties. 1 NCAA tournament win in the last 5 appearances isn't going to cut it.

Will Wade could very well say no thanks. This isn't a Will Wade or bust mission for me though. I think he just makes the most realistic sense. I don't even think Will Wade is Vandy's first call.

Just to give you another name, Kevin Keatts at UNC-Wilmington. I've heard a lot of good things about him. 2 conference titles and 2 COY awards. Known as a good recruiter.

Ok, I can see what you are saying. I guess the other side of that is if you get rid of a constant like Stallings, I am not sure Kevin keatts would excite the fanbase too much, but you would know about your fanbase more than I would. I know some Vandy fans are upset, but sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. I do not know what the answer is for Vanderbilt, but it will be interesting

GoDores
03-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Ok, I can see what you are saying. I guess the other side of that is if you get rid of a constant like Stallings, I am not sure Kevin keatts would excite the fanbase too much, but you would know about your fanbase more than I would. I know some Vandy fans are upset, but sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. I do not know what the answer is for Vanderbilt, but it will be interesting

The hiring of James Franklin didn't excite the fanbase either, but that worked out.

At this point keeping Stallings is settling. This thing about a "ceiling" is taken as, because we're Vandy and we should just be happy we get to play on the same court in the SEC. That's such a simple, lazy argument. We had 4 potential NBA draft picks in our starting lineup this year. Tell me we can't achieve more. What was Duke before Coach K? What's the difference in Duke and Vandy? All it takes is the right coach.

Of course you could hire a new coach and it turns out to be a disaster, but that is a risk EVERYWHERE. (Billy G at UK) At this point, the risk of keeping Stallings is greater than the risk of hiring a new coach.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Duke was in the national title game two years before K was there and had a final four the decade before that. Vandy not "Duke before K" and that's why I am saying, "who is Vandy trying to be?" Dump Stallings for Kevin Keatts... baha. Take it from a UK fan that doesn't excite me. He was just in high school hoops 5 years ago when Stallings was winning SECT titles.

GoDores
03-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Why now all of a sudden are you acting like Stallings is golden?

The past however many years, this board has been all about Stallings' early flame outs and how his teams never live up to the hype.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2016, 06:28 AM
I always back the successful coach when people talk about firing him. Always. It's nothing new. I think it's easy for us to say "fire him." That's so inhumane.

GoDores
03-26-2016, 06:46 PM
This is more of a mutual parting than it is firing. The only way Stallings gets fired is if he becomes uncooperative. But I think he and David Williams have a better relationship than that.

I don't think you can or should just fire a coach after he's given you 17 years. I respect and appreciate what Stallings has done but it has become clear a change is needed.

GoDores
03-26-2016, 07:39 PM
I just hope David Williams has been doing his research and due diligence this past week or so. I think things are about to start happening next week.

onlyfrbama
03-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Stallings is now new Pitt coach. Who are the front runner candidates.

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Well its your time Vandy......Whom are you going to get now

GoDores
03-27-2016, 01:16 PM
I think Will Wade is our floor. Bryce Drew and Ben Jacobson are names too. Of course, the first call should have been to Greg Marshall, just as any other school would.

If Greg Marshall isn't an option, I'd take Will Wade right now.

I'd look for an announcement pretty quick. Vandy knew Stallings was out and started their search last week.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Marshall didn't go to Bama last or Florida for that matter. Why would he go to Vandy. Making that call, you might as well call Coach K and John Calipari also. All I know is Vandy better get somebody good. This could be disastrous. With all these changes, maybe Vandy will change that theater they play in. It will be weird not seeing Stallings at Vandy. I wonder if there will even be as much heat in this game with UK now. Part of the major issue was Stallings would say things to poke UK fans.

Kudos to Pitt. I think they got a new coach who will likely be re-energized. Maybe that is what CKS needed. Plus, he'll have a wider recruiting net.

If I'm Vandy my first call would be King Rice. He's a player's coach, has the UNC pedigree, and is Stallings without being Stallings.

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 01:25 PM
King Rice would be a nice call too and his style is pretty exciting. Don't see Marshall heading anywhere, also don't see Jacobsen leaving UNI. He signed a massive deal to stay up there. If Will Wade leaves it would be his 3rd school in what 5 years? That is a lot of moving...lol

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 01:27 PM
We gotta consider too that Memphis may open up next year. I wonder what coaches decide to stay where they are for the time being, because that might be a better in state job.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Is Shelden Jeter still at Pitt. That could be awkward if he is, considering how he left Vandy and Stallings. lol

BTW, two Ivy League coaches that might play well here would be Tommy Amaker and James Jones. Both could recruit with restrictions. All things considered, Vandy has a roster that should be favored in the SEC depending on who leaves, who stays, and who the coach is. I think UK will have more talent, but with the right coach Vandy might actually start making good on this talent.

GatorMan32
03-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Will Vanderbilt change their mascot since it was Stallings doppelgänger? Kidding-ish

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Is Shelden Jeter still at Pitt. That could be awkward if he is, considering how he left Vandy and Stallings. lol

BTW, two Ivy League coaches that might play well here would be Tommy Amaker and James Jones. Both could recruit with restrictions. All things considered, Vandy has a roster that should be favored in the SEC depending on who leaves, who stays, and who the coach is. I think UK will have more talent, but with the right coach Vandy might actually start making good on this talent.

He sent out a picture of the Joker yesterday that said 'Chaos'...lol

It will be interesting. Stallings denied his request to transfer and was finally allowed to leave. None of the Pitt high end supporters and media guys up there are excited about the hiring at all. Most are calling it a bad hire and nothing close to an upgrade. One Pitt guy said, "So Pitt goes from consistently losing the 1st round of the NCAAs to losing in the 1st round of the CBI"

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 03:33 PM
The thing about it is the search firm is run by the guy who hired Stallings at Vandy. Those comments aren't anything worse than what was said last week with Stallings doing NCAAT studio work for the 2nd round. Something to the effect of "what does Stallings know about coaching in the Sweet 16?"

This is going to be drastic for Pitt. Jamie Dixon was beloved by everybody and just classy. Stallings rivals Mick Cronin as the most foul-mouthed coach out there. Remember him threatening to kill Wade Baldwin 4 last year. Couple that with questionable success and I can see why Pitt media and fans are underwhelmed.

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Yeah i remember that thing with Baldwin.....It was def a little over the edge. I think he will be good at Pitt, but there are always knee-jerk reactions whenever a beloved coach like Dixon leaves and a new guy is hired

GoDores
03-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Marshall didn't go to Bama last or Florida for that matter. Why would he go to Vandy. Making that call, you might as well call Coach K and John Calipari also. All I know is Vandy better get somebody good. This could be disastrous. With all these changes, maybe Vandy will change that theater they play in. It will be weird not seeing Stallings at Vandy. I wonder if there will even be as much heat in this game with UK now. Part of the major issue was Stallings would say things to poke UK fans.

Kudos to Pitt. I think they got a new coach who will likely be re-energized. Maybe that is what CKS needed. Plus, he'll have a wider recruiting net.

If I'm Vandy my first call would be King Rice. He's a player's coach, has the UNC pedigree, and is Stallings without being Stallings.

Some saltiness here. You go so far out of your way to take shots you lose all credibility.

And regarding Rice: no, you don't get rid of Stallings just to go out and hire from the Stallings coaching tree.

GoDores
03-27-2016, 05:50 PM
He sent out a picture of the Joker yesterday that said 'Chaos'...lol

It will be interesting. Stallings denied his request to transfer and was finally allowed to leave. None of the Pitt high end supporters and media guys up there are excited about the hiring at all. Most are calling it a bad hire and nothing close to an upgrade. One Pitt guy said, "So Pitt goes from consistently losing the 1st round of the NCAAs to losing in the 1st round of the CBI"

Just for the record, Pitt tampered with Jeter. They reached directly out to him about transferring without contacting Vandy. That's why Stallings blocked his transfer to Pitt. Not taking sides, just giving the full story.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Just for the record, Pitt tampered with Jeter. They reached directly out to him about transferring without contacting Vandy. That's why Stallings blocked his transfer to Pitt. Not taking sides, just giving the full story.

Well Vandy is hypocrites then. You're not okay with letting a player go there, but you'll send off a coach you're tired of. Craziness. All I know is that Vandy seems to be operating under the impression that they are Duke, UNC, UCLA, or... wait for it... Pitt.

GoDores
03-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Well Vandy is hypocrites then. You're not okay with letting a player go there, but you'll send off a coach you're tired of. Craziness. All I know is that Vandy seems to be operating under the impression that they are Duke, UNC, UCLA, or... wait for it... Pitt.

Seriously? This is one of the weakest stances I've read. None of that is relevant.

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 06:27 PM

I feel ya. I didn't know the entire story so thanks for clearing it up

GoDores
03-27-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure Vandy could have asked for a better time to make a coaching change. We still have a couple pieces to wait on in Damian Jones and Wade Baldwin, but even if they go pro, this new coach is not in a rebuilding situation. This is a talented roster that can win right away. Should be very appealing for the new coach.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 08:46 PM
But what does "win" even mean. What level constitutes winning
Clearly, Stallings was winning himself. I dout Vandy is okay with just NCAA bids, which is crazy considerin what Vandy has been without Stallings.

Dawg, you have to remember that Go is biased. His idea of what happened with Jeter hinges on that. I doubt that Pitt risked it's integrity by tampering with a guy who honestly isn't all that great. He's from Pittsburgh and I wouldn't be shocked if he reached out to Pitt first, which then got the ball rolling for him to transfer.

GoDores
03-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Lol. "My idea" of what happened. I know it to be a fact that Pitt reached out to Jeter without contacting Vandy and Jeter in turn talked with Pitt. That information came from the same place that I got the info that Stallings was out at Vandy that I posted in this very thread on 3/24.

Not talking about Jeter anymore. I've given the facts. It was 3 years ago. Back to the coaching search please.

GoDores
03-27-2016, 09:55 PM
And just for the record, it's been reported that Vandy has contacted Will Wade to gauge his interest. That was a couple days ago. Likely through a search firm. I expect we'll start hearing more tomorrow.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Lol. "My idea" of what happened. I know it to be a fact that Pitt reached out to Jeter without contacting Vandy and Jeter in turn talked with Pitt. That information came from the same place that I got the info that Stallings was out at Vandy that I posted in this very thread on 3/24.

Not talking about Jeter anymore. I've given the facts. It was 3 years ago. Back to the coaching search please.

Yeah the same source that was wrong on 3/24.... With sources like that, who needs to deal with truth and facts.

GoDores
03-27-2016, 10:22 PM
How in the hell was Kevin Stallings is out at Vandy wrong? I'd love to know.

Williams made the decision early last week that Stallings would not be Vandy's coach next season. It got out on 3/24. Williams let Stallings interview at SLU and Pitt so that he didn't have to fire Stallings. It also was a plus for Vandy to avoid a buy out. If Stallings didn't land another job, he would either have to resign or be fired. I don't know which one would have happened. End of story. Pretty simple.

But please, fill me in on the behind the scenes activity at McGugin. You're out of your league here.

kentubbybasketball
03-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Is April Fool's today or Friday.

GoDores
03-30-2016, 10:33 PM
KT, why are you so in favor of keeping Stallings?

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2016, 03:36 AM
I just don't believe it's right to "unappreciate" guys who have been successful yet have perhaps hit a downturn.

GoDores
03-31-2016, 11:28 AM
He doesn't just get a lifetime contract though. Over the last just 6 years I don't think our results measured up to our talent level. We can be better.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2016, 02:47 PM
Sure, Go, but how many times when XPS and I said that during the last 6 years, did you and Chuck argue back and defend your program? Maybe I'm not the only one with an about face. I saw long ago that Stallings wasn't great. That said, he's clearly elevated your program and given Vandy's history, these were the golden years of Vandy basketball.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
I somewhat agree KT, and you have said the same about Stans in the past as you are saying about Stallings. But there comes a time where change may be necessary, in our case it landed us Howland who I'd take over Stans. It's yet to be determined if Vandy made the right choice yet.

Also a little off topic, but KT you mentioned his name.....has anyone heard from XPS?

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2016, 04:56 PM
He no longer posts here.

My thing about it is when I would make the criticisms about Stallings 5 years ago, the Vandy fans would bellyache. Something must have happened to make them see the light.

GoDores
03-31-2016, 07:51 PM
He no longer posts here.

My thing about it is when I would make the criticisms about Stallings 5 years ago, the Vandy fans would bellyache. Something must have happened to make them see the light.

That's the truth. Once is a mistake, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend. There have been a couple seasons over the last handful of years where we have had really good talent and even started the season ranked, and we've produced little results from them.

We built up from '99-'08. We tolerated our first round exits. But from '08 to current just making the tournament isn't good enough anymore. You've got to continue on your upward trajectory and we officially flat-lined with Stallings this year. I remember joking with a friend prior to this season saying "If we don't make the tournament this year, Stallings is definitely gone." My thinking is that we were more likely a 3 seed than an NIT team. To be a play in team was unacceptable.

I still think Stallings is a good coach, and may have success at Pitt. But things here went stale. Like I said, one, two, three strikes, you're out.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-31-2016, 08:16 PM
He no longer posts here.

I know he doesn't I remember the farewell post, just wondering if anyone has heard from him

kentubbybasketball
04-01-2016, 03:49 AM
No, I've not heard from him. I'm actually somewhat concerned with how that farewell post came across but I don't know how to reach him.

Go, I assume that as close as I'll get to an apology for how I used to criticize Stallings with similar comments. Haha. Jk

VandyChuck
04-01-2016, 10:31 AM
That's the truth. Once is a mistake, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a trend. There have been a couple seasons over the last handful of years where we have had really good talent and even started the season ranked, and we've produced little results from them.

We built up from '99-'08. We tolerated our first round exits. But from '08 to current just making the tournament isn't good enough anymore. You've got to continue on your upward trajectory and we officially flat-lined with Stallings this year. I remember joking with a friend prior to this season saying "If we don't make the tournament this year, Stallings is definitely gone." My thinking is that we were more likely a 3 seed than an NIT team. To be a play in team was unacceptable.

I still think Stallings is a good coach, and may have success at Pitt. But things here went stale. Like I said, one, two, three strikes, you're out.

Seen on Twitter, perfectly explaining the Stallings era:

"Stallings can make a bad team pretty good,
He can make a good team pretty good,
and he can make an elite team pretty good.'