2016 March Madness Thread (Selection Show, NCAAT, NIT, etc.) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2016 March Madness Thread (Selection Show, NCAAT, NIT, etc.)

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2016, 05:48 PM
This will be an interesting year. If you offered me a chance to take whoever the 1 and 2 seeds are vs the field, I might take the field this year. I feel like many teams have a chance this year

Let's hope the SEC gets Georgia, South Carolina, & Vandy get in. That might be too big of an ask though for all three. How would you guys rank the three of those teams in terms of who deserves to be in the most: I'd say USC is the most likely.

iowacat
03-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Vandy doesn't deserve to be in.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2016, 08:05 PM
The thing about Vandy is they have basically had three seasons. In Maui they were great. They routed St. John's and had Kansas on the ropes for a while. Then, around December and January it seems like the bottom fell out and it wasn't just that Kornet was out. Then they turned things around to where they had a chance to tie for the SEC championship on the final day of the regular season. Personally, I'd say they deserve to be in. I wonder if the fact that they lost so early in the SECT might help them. Some of these teams with more recent (Friday or Saturday losses) might be more on the committee's mind as teams that don't deserve to be in.

Apparently Cal is out saying Vandy and UGA should be in. He said nothing of USC. I bet Cal probably doesn't even consider them to be on the bubble. I kinda think USC is safer than people think.

Djshockley3
03-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Vandy and UGA deserve to be in more than South Carolina does.

GoDores
03-12-2016, 08:17 PM
The selection committee seems to not place a ton of emphasis on conference tournaments and they value tough schedules.This favors Vandy. I've seen Vandy compared to ucla last year, who also had 13 losses with a tough schedule. UCLA was in and didn't even play in Dayton.

I think Vandy is in. I won't be surprised to see them in Dayton though.

Dawgilicious
03-12-2016, 08:18 PM
All of the bubble teams need UConn to win tomorrow for sure. If Memphis wins, that bubble shrinks by 1.

Dawgilicious
03-12-2016, 08:22 PM
The first telling sign will be on that first bracket to see who the 8/9 game is. That will let us know who was safely in

Djshockley3
03-12-2016, 08:32 PM
San Diego St lost, so who knows if they take a spot from someone. A lot of crazy **** happening in the conference tourneys.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
The selection committee seems to not place a ton of emphasis on conference tournaments and they value tough schedules.This favors Vandy. I've seen Vandy compared to ucla last year, who also had 13 losses with a tough schedule. UCLA was in and didn't even play in Dayton.

I think Vandy is in. I won't be surprised to see them in Dayton though.
The UCLA team probably shouldn't have gotten in over Temple though regardless of the Sweet 16 run over a weakened path. The outcry was so big that maybe that works against Vandy. The Monmouths adn Valpos of the world have shown more continued excellence than Vandy that's for sure.

Dawgilicious
03-12-2016, 09:29 PM
San Diego St lost, so who knows if they take a spot from someone. A lot of crazy **** happening in the conference tourneys.

I just dont see SDSU getting in, but you never know what the committee is thinking

MKfromPA
03-13-2016, 09:50 AM
I just dont see SDSU getting in, but you never know what the committee is thinking

I don't think so either. The Aztecs blew their opportunity yesterday. If they had any hope, I believe, SDSU would've taken the auto bid. Fresno is a bad basketball team. Granted, they are on a 9 game win streak, but if you look at their profile, it isn't very strong. Not like they were in contention for a bubble slot. Look at their schedule, no real solid wins. Losses to Oregon, Arizona, 2 of 3 wins versus SDSU, plus a couple of bad losses to Cal Poly and Evansville. Going up against other bubble contenders, I don't like SDSU's profile. I think they are NIT bound.

The thing about Vandy is they have basically had three seasons. In Maui they were great. They routed St. John's and had Kansas on the ropes for a while. Then, around December and January it seems like the bottom fell out and it wasn't just that Kornet was out. Then they turned things around to where they had a chance to tie for the SEC championship on the final day of the regular season. Personally, I'd say they deserve to be in. I wonder if the fact that they lost so early in the SECT might help them. Some of these teams with more recent (Friday or Saturday losses) might be more on the committee's mind as teams that don't deserve to be in.

Apparently Cal is out saying Vandy and UGA should be in. He said nothing of USC. I bet Cal probably doesn't even consider them to be on the bubble. I kinda think USC is safer than people think.

We've seen the selection committee punish teams for losing early in the conference tournament. Will we see the same here? I'm not certain. Their consistency in such decisions has been extremely streaky. For me it's like splitting hairs between South Carolina and Vanderbilt. I really can't make a definitive call on who is ahead of who, other than they are really, really close. We also have to remember the committee no longer values who is hot now and who was hot at the beginning of the season.

Herchel
03-13-2016, 10:09 AM
IMO:
UK and A&M are in. I rank Vandy next, followed by UGA and then USC. We may have only three in the tournament.

Dawg4life
03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I said South Carolina punched their ticket when they beat Arkansas, but it’s actually not as safe as I did think. I’d say it’s a 65% chance right now. Was thinking 80% until I saw they dropped to last 4 in/last 4 out.

Now I’ll say what I said about Georgia for a second time. The @Auburn game is keeping them from at least being in Dayton. They blew it then and they know it. They made quite a run to almost making it very interesting after that appalling first half in Auburn, but almost isn't enough.

Dawg4life
03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
double post

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 02:22 PM
IMO:
UK and A&M are in. I rank Vandy next, followed by UGA and then USC. We may have only three in the tournament.

I know USC is 0-3 vs UGA, bit what great win does UGA have that says they should be in. USC isn't a great win if they are unsure they are in themselves.

GoDores
03-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Vandy aside, I've really enjoyed this season more than others in recent years. The parity has made things exciting. The tournament is as wide open as I can remember. Probably 20 teams or so you could put in the final 4 without reaching.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 03:26 PM
I personally liked last year more. When your team is 38-1, I could careless abuot parity. But, yeah, I like the parity now. As for UK, I hope we win the national title one year late. People say there are no great teams, whoever wins that title will be considered great.

If Vandy makes the field, they will be a tough out for a better seeded team. I would hate to run into them, especially in a second round scenario where you only have one day to prepare.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 03:31 PM
As both SEC Champion an SEC Tourney Champ we should be a 3 seed IMO when you combine wins over Duke and Louisville. I'm so proud of Cal and Tyler Ulis, Cal's best PG ever. Better than Knight, Wall, and DRose. This was supposed to be the year that the SEC got its licks in. This team has just won dual SEC titles, just like last year's team. What's the constants: Ulis and Calipari!!!!

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 03:39 PM
One more thing about Cal. In seven years he has 4 SEC titles and the years he didn't win he came in second. He also has 4 SECT titles with two other finals finishes. He rotates his roster yearly. It's about time we really acknowledge that he's great at what he's doing.

Storm
03-13-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm more impressed he gets the teams to gel and play together. I think that's what he deserves more credit for. Bringing in that much talent year in and year out is one thing. You almost have 3, sometimes 4 recruits that would be the stars of a team that choose to come in and work together and be equals on a team. The fact he can get kids to buy into that is very impressive.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Storm, I agree. you know what else will help with that. How Ben Simmons played at LSU, how Malik Newman played at MSU, and Stephen Zimmerman at UNLV. Poor Zimmerman lost his coach midseason. Simmons had alltime numbers but failed to make the tourney. This is a statement to elite recruits to come to Kentucky. You think Tyler Ulis or WCS missed a beat by coming to UK as elite recruits. Nope.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Memphis trying to burst some bubbles. Really all over Uconn in the 2nd half.

Michigan is a hard team to grade. While they have some great wins, they have also lost a lot of games by 10+ pts. So are they good or bad?

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Michigan State is going to be a 1 seed for sure now. Wonder if we can just pencil them in again for a final four? I will say if they go cold from three, they are susceptible to an upset.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 05:13 PM
yes, if Forbes is making shots they are lethal.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Surprised Virginia and Oregon are one seeds. I can see one of them getting it, but both?

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 05:54 PM
You could argue that Kansas' 4 or 5 seed teams are more NBA talented than them. Cal and Maryland would be tough in the Sweet 16.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Vandy is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Play in game

Talk about a game for shooters vs Wichita St.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 05:56 PM
How is Vandy in...wow

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 05:58 PM
I gotta go with WSU over Vandy. That senior backcourt is going to be gunning in their last go around. Honestly, Wichita State and vandy being in shouldn't make other bubble teams feel good. You could argue that WSU doesn't deserve to be in either IMO.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Yeah if you are a bubble team this is not a good thing...lol

That will be one hell of a first four game though

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Kansas can't feel too great about its potential Sweet 16 game given they are the overall #1 seed.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah that is not a great reward if you are the #1 overall seed unless there are upsets

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Kansas' strength is their depth, but Cal and Maryland both have good depth. Both have a roster full of NBA level types. Kansas usually beats you because their 8th guy is better than yours. I'm not so sure that will be the case against either Cal or Maryland. I see them rife for an upset. I think Maryland might be the most talented team in the country. It's disappointing they are even a 5 seed IMO.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Cincy is a 9 seed. Not as bubblicious as people thought.

I was hoping to be the 4 seed opposite of oregon. Duke gets it though.

I know Oklahoma struggled down the stretch, but they are better than Oregon IMO.

5 Pac 12 teams on the left half of the bracket. Crazy.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Oregon St was easily in

Man, SJU is way under seeded

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Whew! I was hoping we wouldn't be the 3 seed against Oklahoma's 2. It's TAMU. TAMU as a 3 seed is crazy to me. that means they are a top 12 team. I wouldn't think their resume warrants that.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Oregon St was easily in

Man, SJU is way under seeded

Gary Payton will make a name for himself outside of his dad's perhaps with this matchup IMO vs VCU.

I have Oklahoma in that region probably.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Yeah i actually think SJu beats Oregon is they make it through,

Texas/TAMU would be fun

Dawg4life
03-13-2016, 06:26 PM
If that leaked bracket is legit, South Carolina is not in the tourney.

WOW.

(UGA also isn't, but I didn't think they would make it)

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
I just dont get the Vandy thing. 2 wins vs the Top 50.....A lot of bad losses...@ Ark, @ Miss St, @ Ole Miss, vs LSU,etc.....

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Of course. Couldn't guessed it. They seed us to play Indiana quickly. Yeah... but they don't have predetermined matchups in their mind. Whatever.

Getting past Werney inside the way we have trouble defensive rebounding is going to be tough.

How TAMU gets a higher seed than us is crazy to me. The SEC has to move its tourney final to Saturday night IMO, because the game means nothing. No way TAMU should be seeded higher than us.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Michigan and Tulsa? WOW WOW

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Michigan and Tulsa are both in?????

Shocked that both of them made it. Seems like the bubble favors the big conference teams.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Those 2 teams really make no sense.....Its crazy

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Yeah that leaked bracket looks right. lol I'm just happy that the Red Raiders are in that one.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Tubby! Tubby! Tubby! Tubby!!!!

Follows Lon Kruger as the second coach to take five schools to the tourney! What a (Hall of Fame) career!

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:44 PM
I can't figure this committee out. You tell people to schedule tough... Monmouth does and wins game...yet they are out? No faith in what the committee says anymore. None!

South Carolina should have scheduled tougher for sure, looking back on it.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:46 PM
I'm sure UVa hates being in Michigan State's quarter again Could it be three straight years they are beaten by Michigan State?

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah UGA did the same thing..

SYr as a damn 10 seed

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm not that shocked by 'Cuse. 10 seems like they weren't on the bubble though.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 06:49 PM
They should be....lost 5 of 6 and lost to freaking St. John's......There were better bubble teams out there than freaking Syracuse

GoDores
03-13-2016, 07:04 PM
The committee put all my Cinderella's in the same region....:doh: Chattanooga, Stony Brook, and Steven F Austin.

Watch out Kentucky. Stony Brook took Vandy to OT back in November when Vandy was peaking (lol).

Djshockley3
03-13-2016, 07:16 PM
UGA is better than Syracuse. They should be in the NIT.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Coach Cal said the same thing.....SEC has to move the final of the tourney.

Cockee Don
03-13-2016, 07:28 PM
I am truly disappointed. 43 years and counting. I just don't see how Vandy could get in over Georgia or SC. It really is tough to continue to support a team and program that continues to bring little but disappointment every year.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 07:46 PM
After failing to making the NCAA tournament, Ben Simmons & Co. will sit out the entire postseason, coach Johnny Jones announced: "I take full responsibility for this team, and will do the things necessary to make sure we are able to reach one of our main goals at LSU in the future."

GR8NESS
03-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Lol. UK a 4 and A&M a 3. It's painfully obvious the committee chose to make these seeds so they could set up A&M-Texas and UK-IU. Whatever.

UK vs. TAMU

Head-to-Head: 1-1
RPI: 12 vs. 18
OOC SOS: 15 vs. 60
SOS: 35 vs. 77
RPI Top 50: 3-2 vs. 5-1
RPI Top 100: 15-4 vs. 14-7

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Coach Cal said the same thing.....SEC has to move the final of the tourney.

I didn't realize Cal said the same thing as me there but it's true. Brum, just showed the resumes of us and tamu. No advantage at all for Tamu over us. This committee is just confusing.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 08:26 PM
I didn't realize Cal said the same thing as me there but it's true. Brum, just showed the resumes of us and tamu. No advantage at all for Tamu over us. This committee is just confusing.

Cal mentioned 2 things that stood out:

No true basketball guys on the committee

and

He said he was told each member has their own criteria....That is a big problem...9 different agendas means a lot of confusion

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:33 PM
I knew there were no basketball. Bilas said that. They have to have some accountability. What's really unfair is they have a moving target. One season this is important. The next it's not.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
If I were Monmouth I'd be really ticked honestly. What else can they do. Clearly the conference tourneys don't matter (see UK and TAMU). Yet they don't get in because the lost their tourney final to Iona.

I assume UK was a 6 seed before out late season run, which is bogus.

Djshockley3
03-13-2016, 08:41 PM
UGA plays Belmont on Wed night in the NIT.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Won't be easy. They got the three killer Bs. I'ma watch if church doesn't conflict.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:50 PM
This committee needs to change. People like Jay Bilas, Dameyon Fishback, etc. need to be on the committee. People aren't going to stop watching the tourney, but if you have names like Calipari and Crean complaining you gotta do something. If enough of the Cals, Ks, etc complain enough something could change and it needs to.

Djshockley3
03-13-2016, 08:51 PM
How did Ole Miss not make the NIT?

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Florida is a 2 seed in the NIT. So many of the auto NIT bids were taken with 1 seeds losing conference tourneys. There were only 17 at large NIT spots.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Does anybody else think Johnny Jones perhaps got out and said they were closing down their season because he knew they weren't going to even be invited?

Dawg4life
03-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Does anybody else think Johnny Jones perhaps got out and said they were closing down their season because he knew they weren't going to even be invited?

That's what a "very reliable source" said on another forum.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Just sayin...

How do you feel about Belmont, bro?

Dawgilicious
03-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Belmont will be tough. They can flat out shoot the ball. We will have to guard the 3 pt line

Dawg4life
03-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Looks like a tough draw to me. I hope Georgia continues to get the freshmen some experience in these game(s).

Wave&Dawgs
03-20-2016, 10:06 PM
A&M got that Rick Stansbury Sweet 16 stink on em.

Djshockley3
03-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Down 12 with 30 sec left and send it into OT. Crazy

Wave&Dawgs
03-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Congrats to A&M for my jinx of UNI. :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Down 12 with 30 sec left and send it into OT. Crazy

Unbelievable to watch that unfold live. I think TAMU has been blessed all year long in some clutch situations. The regulation and one that Caruso got when Jesperson was trying to get out of the way was questionable but they took advantage. I've never seen a team turn the ball over like that even on the middle school level. TAMU's size is deadly.

They could impact Oklahoma's ability to shoot next round.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Bad implosion by Xavier also. They had a path to the final four imo. Now UNC or IU is a final four fave in th at region.

No offense to ND/Wisconsin but I don't see either of them beating IU or UNC especially.

Djshockley3
03-20-2016, 11:15 PM
I have A&M in the final four...so glad they won.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Wouldn't shock me. Sometimes a final four team has its back against the wall early in rhe tourney and escapes and goes on a run to the final four. TAMU has clearly shown they aren't giving up no matter how late it is or how dire the situation is. You're going to have to come out and beat them. They haven't lost a regulation game in about a month.

Dawgilicious
03-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Bad implosion by Xavier also. They had a path to the final four imo. Now UNC or IU is a final four fave in th at region.

No offense to ND/Wisconsin but I don't see either of them beating IU or UNC especially.

Yeah I was very disappointed in the way Xavier played for most of that game. I would be shocked if IU or UNC are not in the Final Four. ND nor Wisconsin can handle either of those teams

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Notre Dame could potentially get hot enough to win two more games but IU and UNC can match the offense.

MKfromPA
03-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Notre Dame could potentially get hot enough to win two more games but IU and UNC can match the offense.

Yep. The Tar Heels are looking mighty good right now. I would not want to be in their way. Nonetheless, the game versus IU is going to be an exciting, epic duel!

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2016, 08:54 PM
How do you feel about Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt, bro?

Dawgilicious
03-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Indiana has to A) get healthy and B) Keep Thomas Bryant on the floor

NCMISSSTFAN
03-23-2016, 08:24 AM

I was somewhat shocked. I understand TCU is his alma mater, but I didn't expect him to leave Pitt for that job. He won't have to deal with the ACC there though, since the move he has struggle some.

MKfromPA
03-23-2016, 07:35 PM

I think Dixon left feeling rising pressure. He wasn't winning and recruiting had plateaued over the past 4-5 years. The result? No progress in March Madness, low number of wins against the ACC's best - UVA, UNC, Duke, Louisville - did him in, I think.

I'm sad to see JD go. I really liked him as a head coach. Great coach, great guy off the court. I remember when I was at Pitt I got his autograph at a rally in the Petersen Center and shook his hand. One of my proudest memories as a sports fan. If TCU plays any non-conference games around here, I'm going to try to attend. I think Dixon will improve TCU, but with how competitive the B12 is, probably won't make them among the best. It's like he's in the ACC all over again, but starting from the bottom. Literally. I wish him the very best.

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2016, 09:17 PM
I was somewhat shocked. I understand TCU is his alma mater, but I didn't expect him to leave Pitt for that job. He won't have to deal with the ACC there though, since the move he has struggle some.

Right, a lot of times coaches talk to another school for leverage like what Cronin might be doing with UNLV for Cincy. But, Dixon actually pulled the trigger. Lol

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2016, 09:20 PM
I think Dixon left feeling rising pressure. He wasn't winning and recruiting had plateaued over the past 4-5 years. The result? No progress in March Madness, low number of wins against the ACC's best - UVA, UNC, Duke, Louisville - did him in, I think.

I'm sad to see JD go. I really liked him as a head coach. Great coach, great guy off the court. I remember when I was at Pitt I got his autograph at a rally in the Petersen Center and shook his hand. One of my proudest memories as a sports fan. If TCU plays any non-conference games around here, I'm going to try to attend. I think Dixon will improve TCU, but with how competitive the B12 is, probably won't make them among the best. It's like he's in the ACC all over again, but starting from the bottom. Literally. I wish him the very best.

I hope Pitt hires somebody good. The Miller's or Calipari aren't coming but what a group of coaches frm Pitt. Did you realize Cal anf the Millers are cousins? IMO. I will say this I think Dixon got out at the best time. The school even lowered his buyout. Amicable divorce. The Big 12 won't be much easier. You're replacing Coach K , Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim for Tubby, Self, Huggs, and Shaka.

Dawgilicious
03-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Not to mention going to TCU, which is prob the toughest job in the Big 12 right now. Pitt was in a interesting position......good enough to make the tourney, but not good enough to make a longer run in March. Sometimes change works out for the best

MKfromPA
03-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Not to mention going to TCU, which is prob the toughest job in the Big 12 right now. Pitt was in a interesting position......good enough to make the tourney, but not good enough to make a longer run in March. Sometimes change works out for the best

That's just it. Dixon had built Pittsburgh to the level where making March Madness every season came to be an expectation. He also demonstrated winning games in the tournament, too. Over the last few years, there haven't been many of those and the heat was starting to rise.

MKfromPA
03-25-2016, 09:28 AM
I hope Pitt hires somebody good. The Miller's or Calipari aren't coming but what a group of coaches frm Pitt. Did you realize Cal anf the Millers are cousins? IMO. I will say this I think Dixon got out at the best time. The school even lowered his buyout. Amicable divorce. The Big 12 won't be much easier. You're replacing Coach K , Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim for Tubby, Self, Huggs, and Shaka.

Yeah, you're right, KT. Sean Miller said he is not going to take the job. Cal won't either. My hope is the AD will take their time finding the proper candidate. There is no need to rush and fill the position immediately. That's kind of what happened when Pitt hired Paul Chryst as football coach. What happened? After 3 years he left for another HC job. Pitt needs a coach who is going to commit to the program, take it to the next level, and be one of the top competitors in the ACC. Replacing Dixon isn't going to be easy. It can be done because nobody is indispensable.

Storm
03-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Oregon looks like the real deal right now.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Yeah, you're right, KT. Sean Miller said he is not going to take the job. Cal won't either. My hope is the AD will take their time finding the proper candidate. There is no need to rush and fill the position immediately. That's kind of what happened when Pitt hired Paul Chryst as football coach. What happened? After 3 years he left for another HC job. Pitt needs a coach who is going to commit to the program, take it to the next level, and be one of the top competitors in the ACC. Replacing Dixon isn't going to be easy. It can be done because nobody is indispensable.

What about Toole who knows the lay of the land better than anybody probably?

MKfromPA
03-26-2016, 10:14 AM
What about Toole who knows the lay of the land better than anybody probably?

Yeah, he had four consecutive 20+ win seasons at RMU, prior to this year's ugly 10-22 campaign. He might be a viable option. My concern is can he win in the ACC? Winning in the NEC is a whole different game.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Many people will have trouble winning in the ACC in a given year. I mean 4 Elite 8 teams means you could have a good team and still be in 10th place.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Speaking of coaching situations, Rick Stansbury is coming to Western Kentucky. It's close to where I live. It'll be interesting to see if TAMU can keep up its feverish recruiting without Stans. I have some doubts.

MKfromPA
03-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Many people will have trouble winning in the ACC in a given year. I mean 4 Elite 8 teams means you could have a good team and still be in 10th place.

Yes that is true. My view is that Pittsburgh is going to try and find a coach who can lead them to be in the top 5 of the ACC. Finding a coach who will only improve them. In his past couple years, Dixon didn't really take Pitt up the ladder in the conference. But I'm not certain of what the AD will do. I can only imagine they follow this plan. There is quite a risk bringing in a young coach who does not have much winning experience at a high level, and expecting him to coach Pitt to wins over Duke, UNC, UVA, UL every year.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2016, 04:47 PM
And, that's the thing who falls out of the current top 5 to make room for the second tier teams?

MKfromPA
03-26-2016, 06:17 PM
You figure Duke, UNC, UVA, and Louisville are the ACC's best at the moment. Notre Dame is in the discussion, too.

Teams falling? I'm not certain. Louisville does have the rumored stripper/prostitute distraction going on, and I would think it would hurt them in terms of recruiting over the next few seasons (UK has the bragging rights in bball, too). The school self-imposed a postseason ban in 2016, as we know.

I think it comes down to the recruiting improving for Pitt. If they can get solid players, they will compete with the ACC's best. Just like they did in the old Big East. UConn, Syracuse, and Notre Dame all out-recruited Pitt, but the Panthers found a way to beat them over the years, and even win the regular season & conference tournaments. It can happen. They just require the players to do so. I think we are getting to the point where the ACC "growing pains" is no longer a valid excuse.

Storm
03-26-2016, 11:28 PM
That Nova/Kansas game was great. Clutch free throws by Nova in the final minute. 6-6 at the stripe.

MKfromPA
03-27-2016, 10:55 AM
That Nova/Kansas game was great. Clutch free throws by Nova in the final minute. 6-6 at the stripe.

Yep. Great win and comeback in the final minutes for 'Nova. KU blew it again. Could have easily won.

OU/Villanova ought to be a dandy!

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Well, how do you feel about Stallings being your coach. One thing, I'll tell you. He's gone after Tubby Smith, John Calipari, and Billy Donovan. He won't be intimidated to recruit against K, Roy, B and Pitino.

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 01:26 PM
I think you were on about him being re-energized at Pitt. I think he could be great at Pitt

Dawgilicious
03-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Yep. Great win and comeback in the final minutes for 'Nova. KU blew it again. Could have easily won.

OU/Villanova ought to be a dandy!

Well that was a brutal foul call on KU when they were down 2 with the ball. Would not of been called in the 1st half. Not sure they blew it since they never really had a big lead or anything.......You can't foul Nova late in games. They are a superb FT shooting team, like 80% as a team

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Thankfully, Kansas lost. If there is one coach that is tied with Calipari, it is Bill Self. Whether it's the 2008 title game, the 2012 title game, the recruiting battles, the Kansas connections both have with Larry Brown. If Self would have won this title, there's a segment of people out there that would say he's better than Cal. I think now the narrative is changed completely now to one of why can't Self consistently win in the Elite 8.

It's neat to see some new blood. Kruger or Wright will get to the national title game, in both of their second final four.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2016, 08:49 PM
What about the job Jim Boeheim has done. Take that NCAA. Getting a 10 seed to the final four is even impressive for a HOFer. Plus that 10 seed may have not even been deserved. More like a 12 seed first four type. Go Boeheim.

Makes me wonder if UVA's window is closing. Bennett is a great regular season coach and beat Cuse multiple times this season I believe but in NCAAT settings Boeheim is clearly better.

Dawgilicious
03-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Yeah I will tip my cap to Boeheim, especially after being down so much at the half vs UVA. Never thought they would be close to a Final Four

Storm
03-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Considering most didn't think they deserved to be in the tournament, what they have done is amazing. Not sure where it stands in history as lowest seed to make it this far, but it seems pretty magical.

Dawgilicious
03-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Considering most didn't think they deserved to be in the tournament, what they have done is amazing. Not sure where it stands in history as lowest seed to make it this far, but it seems pretty magical.

Not the lowest seed. They are the first 10 seed to make it, but VCU, George Mason and LSU were all 11 seeds that made the final four

Bama_Man
03-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Go Buddy Go! If OU wins it all, I win my money bracket pool. But UNC looks like the team to beat right now, can't see Cuse staying close.

Nova/OU should be a total barn burner, OU won't be as lackluster and Heild is better than Ellis, but Nova has 4-5 guys all playing very good ATM.

But KU gave the game away, just turnovers and missed shots. Ellis only had 4 points, and yet if the foul isn't called when the KU player slides into the Nova kid, KU may have pulled it out.

SCgamecock2988
03-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Would love to see a Nova/UNC final.

GatorMan32
04-05-2016, 11:11 AM
I picked the right 90 seconds to watch last night lol

Djshockley3
04-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Amazing game.

Storm
04-05-2016, 01:52 PM
I picked the right 90 seconds to watch last night lol

:lol: Me too. When UNC tied it up I thought "oh great, now i'm invested for OT." Thank you Villanova.

joehogjoe
04-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Greatest finish in ages.

GatorMan32
04-05-2016, 03:29 PM
:lol: Me too. When UNC tied it up I thought "oh great, now i'm invested for OT." Thank you Villanova.LOL I would have watched the end of OT

MKfromPA
04-09-2016, 03:33 PM
I hate the fact a school from Philadelphia won. BUT, have to credit Villanova because the Wildcats were the best when it mattered most - the postseason. Belated congrats to the school and to the fans on the championship.