Illinois hires Lovie Smith as FB coach [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Illinois hires Lovie Smith as FB coach

Storm
03-07-2016, 12:17 PM
About as good a hire Illinois could get, I'd say.

MKfromPA
03-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Talk about a program in need of restoration. Lovie is a solid candidate to turn it around. I like the hire. Good to see him once again coaching in the state of Illinois.

deterp
03-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Coaching college is a lot different from coaching pros. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Meanwhile, the sports reporters are in over the moon about this. We shall see.

Storm
03-08-2016, 05:40 PM
He coached at osu didn't he? Back in the day as an assistant or something? I can't imagine the learning curve though. Having to figure out all the stupid rules and who they actually apply to

Bama_Man
03-08-2016, 11:21 PM
In terms of a pure football coach, Smith is excellent, top of the top. He relies on the Tampa 2 a little too often, but with the right personnel he can have a nasty defense. He led the Bears and Rex freaking Grossman to the Super Bowl lol, and was on the Bucs staff in 03 when they won it all IIRC.

Storm
03-09-2016, 12:09 AM
I don't if he'll get the talent to run a Tampa 2 in college.

Bama_Man
03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I don't if he'll get the talent to run a Tampa 2 in college.
Well in the Big 10, where most of the offenses are so run heavy, he could theoretically run a version of the Tampa Two with lesser talent at CB/S/LB because there isn't as much speed and athleticism on the outside compared to the B12/SEC.

MKfromPA
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM
In terms of a pure football coach, Smith is excellent, top of the top. He relies on the Tampa 2 a little too often, but with the right personnel he can have a nasty defense. He led the Bears and Rex freaking Grossman to the Super Bowl lol, and was on the Bucs staff in 03 when they won it all IIRC.

I agree. Smith is a solid coach. His work in the NFL speaks for it. May take him several seasons, but he will get the players to run his style. I can see Illinois back to a bowl in a few years.

boxvic
03-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Hmm I might have to check out some Illinois games just to see how this turns out. Can't be any worse that what I've put up with from UK over the years... and I'm quite a bit closer to Champaign now than Lexington.