2017 QB Jake Fromm decommits from Bama and commits to UGA [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2017 QB Jake Fromm decommits from Bama and commits to UGA

Dawgilicious
03-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Fromm had been verbally committed to Alabama since October of 2015. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Houston County (GA) signal-caller is rated the third-best pro-style QB in the country according to 247Sports.

An unreported visit taken by Fromm and family members to Athens last week laid the framework for the decision.

“I went up last Thursday, and I really enjoyed it, “ Fromm told 247Sports in an exclusive interview. “We told Alabama we were going and that is just what type of family we are. I just loved it up there, I loved the people, I loved Coach (Kirby) Smart. I love what is going on up there, the whole deal.”

For the four-star recruit, who grew up a Georgia fan, the decision is a dream come true.

“It is awesome, what a great chance to be home and play in front of your home state,” Fromm said. “The people you grew up around, it was tough to tell the in-state people I was going somewhere else (Alabama), but what a better situation now to tell those people why I am coming back and that is something I will not take lightly.”

New Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney impressed the Fromm family in a couple of meetings that were also big factors in this decision.

“What a great teacher he is, the guy is a football genius, literally on that side of the ball,” Fromm said. “If there is any chance for me to play in the NFL one day, I feel like this guy can give me that chance to have a NFL-type education and something I can take on with me.”

The decision to decommit from Alabama weighed on Fromm.

“It was very tough, decommitting was not something I wanted to do, it was not something I thought I would ever do,” he said.”It was something I never envisioned I would be doing at any time. At the end of the day, I had to do what was best for myself and my family no matter how tough it is.”

Just Some Hog Dude
03-03-2016, 11:45 AM
:rotf:

ECDawg78
03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Chaney & Kirby working hard to build depth at QB quickly........we could lose Lambert and Ramsey both after 2016. I expect we would also like to have Davis Mills along with Fromm and maybe a transfer or JUCO for depth. We are recruiting 2018 No. 1 Trevor Lawrence and 2018 dual threat Emory Jones and have a good shot at both.

Herchel
03-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Chaney & Kirby working hard to build depth at QB quickly........we could lose Lambert and Ramsey both after 2016. I expect we would also like to have Davis Mills along with Fromm and maybe a transfer or JUCO for depth. We are recruiting 2018 No. 1 Trevor Lawrence and 2018 dual threat Emory Jones and have a good shot at both.
I think Fromm will hurt us with Lawrence. Emory Jones is a lock.

ECDawg78
03-03-2016, 03:56 PM
I think Fromm will hurt us with Lawrence. Emory Jones is a lock.

The more the merrier it seems at this position with Kirby. Like Saban, I would not be surprised to see 4-5 QBs on scholly all the time...

lbzdually
03-05-2016, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=ECDawg78;1898567]The more the merrier it seems at this position with Kirby. Like Saban, I would not be surprised to see 4

I think Lawrence will expect to start or compete for the starting job by year 2 wherever he goes and if UGA is crowded, I believe he will go elsewhere. I believe Lawrence is more talented than Eason and is a gamer who has played against top UGA talent and excelled since he was a true freshman. Combine all of Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger's strengths and take away all the weaknesses and you have Lawrence. Fromm is almost at that level, but he is more of a grinder.

ECDawg78
03-06-2016, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=ECDawg78;1898567]The more the merrier it seems at this position with Kirby. Like Saban, I would not be surprised to see 4

I think Lawrence will expect to start or compete for the starting job by year 2 wherever he goes and if UGA is crowded, I believe he will go elsewhere. I believe Lawrence is more talented than Eason and is a gamer who has played against top UGA talent and excelled since he was a true freshman. Combine all of Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger's strengths and take away all the weaknesses and you have Lawrence. Fromm is almost at that level, but he is more of a grinder.

By year two for Lawrence (2019), Eason is either a senior or in the NFL after his junior season. You make it sound as if Lawrence is looking for a situation where he won't have to compete with a top tier talent before getting the starting nod. I have heard many times of recruits and their expectations upon arrival in schools, but they often do not live up to the lofty expectations. Like Kirby, I think we need 4-5 top notch high school talent QBs on scholarship and competing for the job. Injuries, development less than expectations, transfers and other factors......happen. We almost can not have enough QBs. If you have a good one, you never know for sure how long you will have him...........so you need at least 3-4 more waiting in the wings.

lbzdually
03-06-2016, 01:43 PM
I think Lawrence will come on board if he only has to sit one year before starting. If it looks like he won't get a chance until year 2 or 3, he will go elsewhere. Winning big can change that though, as players will wait to start 1-2 years if it means championships. So 2016 and 2017 will make or break UGAs chances with Lawrence, IMO.