Bama just told Riley Cole they wanted him to grayshirt [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bama just told Riley Cole they wanted him to grayshirt

Herchel
01-31-2016, 02:23 PM
He said no thanks. Anyone need an OLB?

https://twitter.com/Rileyc44/status/693869705275248640

BigBamaFan
01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
The Bama staff must feel good about Davis Wilson and Juarez at the lb position

BamaHoHo
01-31-2016, 10:05 PM
He is a 3 star recruit. Probably committed with restrictions. It would be wise for him to grayshirt. Come in next spring and get a head start on his freshman year.

Storm
01-31-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm not usually one to pump the SEC bias, but if this was Jim Harbaugh, the national media would be having a field day.

BigBamaFan
02-01-2016, 02:13 AM
Im sure its going to get blown up. But its not like we pulled the offer we just simple ask him to greyshirt. He isnt going to compete for a spot next year he is a best a 3 year project to compete for a spot if he greyshirted he would be a rs soph. and his family does have money. I hope he comes to Bama i think he could follow some other good players that went the same route like William Vlahos

planetalker
02-01-2016, 07:18 AM
I'm not usually one to pump the SEC bias, but if this was Jim Harbaugh, the national media would be having a field day.

I was actually thinking the opposite. Harbaugh has already done worse than this and there has been no outcry. It is bad that the grayshirt option came this late but this kid would get a scholarship. I don't think that was the case at Michigan this year.

Storm
02-01-2016, 08:22 AM
I was actually thinking the opposite. Harbaugh has already done worse than this and there has been no outcry. It is bad that the grayshirt option came this late but this kid would get a scholarship. I don't think that was the case at Michigan this year.

The offer was pulled from Swenson and he's already committed to Oklahoma. Seems like he landed on his feet just fine. He also knew it was coming for months but portrayed himself as a victim on social media knowing Michigan couldn't comment on the situation do to recruiting rules.

If anything, the last couple months has really opened my eyes just to how cut throat the recruiting business is, from both sides.

Michigan just lost a top OL because he flipped to Stanford 4 days before signing day. The reason being was he committed to Michigan no knowing if he could get into Stanford. When he was accepted he decommitted from Michigan. That's just as dirty as pulling an offer or asking to grey shirt IMO. Now UM is suddenly struggling to bring an OL in for this class.

Dawg in Dallas
02-01-2016, 08:52 AM
The Bama staff must feel good about Davis Wilson and Juarez at the lb position

Exactly...

Bama_Man
02-01-2016, 05:01 PM
The offer was pulled from Swenson and he's already committed to Oklahoma. Seems like he landed on his feet just fine. He also knew it was coming for months but portrayed himself as a victim on social media knowing Michigan couldn't comment on the situation do to recruiting rules.

If anything, the last couple months has really opened my eyes just to how cut throat the recruiting business is, from both sides.

Michigan just lost a top OL because he flipped to Stanford 4 days before signing day. The reason being was he committed to Michigan no knowing if he could get into Stanford. When he was accepted he decommitted from Michigan. That's just as dirty as pulling an offer or asking to grey shirt IMO. Now UM is suddenly struggling to bring an OL in for this class.

Cmon man no its not, not even close. Stanford is one of the most highly regarded colleges in the nation, with amazing weather and a very good football team. If an academically minded kid got an offer to Stanford, how could he refuse?

Nothing like grown men waiting til the last minute and pull an offer to a kid who believed he was given a spot. It could ruin a kids life, instead of just having to bring in a lesser talent.

ECDawg78
02-01-2016, 05:19 PM
He is a 3 star recruit. Probably committed with restrictions. It would be wise for him to grayshirt. Come in next spring and get a head start on his freshman year.

What's the real story with Alabama and former LB commit Riley Cole?

By Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com
February 01, 2016 at 9:58 AM,

First things first. We've heard only one side of the story of Riley Cole.

We heard from Cole, the Oneonta High School linebacker, on Twitter on Sunday, and we heard from his dad David on WJOX on Monday morning. We have not heard from Nick Saban or Jeremy Pruitt because college coaches can't comment in any kind of detail about a prospect until a prospect becomes a signee.

David Cole said Riley plans to sign with another school Wednesday on National Signing Day. No doubt Saban will be asked about Cole at the Alabama coach's NSD press conference.

The story, according to the Coles:

Riley committed to Alabama last summer. His primary recruiters were Kirby Smart and Mel Tucker, neither of whom still works for Alabama. Smart is now the Georgia head coach, and Tucker's his defensive coordinator.

Alabama discussed with the Coles that Riley might redshirt his freshman season, but the idea of grayshirting - pushing his enrollment back from this summer until next January - was never discussed.

Until Friday, when David Cole said Pruitt, Alabama's new defensive coordinator, mentioned grayshirting as a possibility in a conversation with Riley. David Cole said it appeared Alabama wanted to wait until after Signing Day - until other linebacker prospects announced their school choices - to decide whether Riley should grayshirt.

As you might imagine, this potential change in plans, this late in the process, bothered the Coles. It bothered Riley so much that he told the world Sunday on Twitter that he had de-committed from Alabama. His dad, who called "The Opening Drive" on WJOX to tell the story, said his son will not sign with Alabama. He did not say which school Riley will attend or which schools are among his new top-three choices.

David Cole appeared to absolve Saban of any responsibility for this late change in plans - he said he had nothing but the utmost respect for the Alabama coach - but he also said, as we all know, Saban is the ultimate decision-maker for his program.

Did Saban sign off on the grayshirt possibility? Did Pruitt do it on his own authority? We don't know, and Alabama can't say until Wednesday at the earliest.

In any case, if Alabama never mentioned grayshirting as a possibility to Riley Cole until five days before Signing Day, when he'd been committed to the Crimson Tide since last summer, Alabama was wrong. If those facts are correct, that gave him and his family precious little time to consider other options.

As David Cole said, there's nothing wrong with the concept of grayshirting. His problem is what he sees as a lack of communication from Alabama on the subject.

This situation highlights the absurdity of the entire recruiting process, having players give commitments that aren't binding, allowing players and schools to change their minds late in the process in the neverending search for better options.

A much better option: Do away with commitments entirely. Set a start date - say Aug. 1 of a recruit's senior year in high school - and allow prospects to sign with the college of their choice at any time after that date.

There would be no debate about which offers were "committable," which commitments were nothing more than a temporary infatuation. It would cut down on colleges throwing out a ridiculous numbers of alleged offers. It would cut back on recruits choosing a school early just in case a better offer never comes along.

It might even introduce a little more honesty to the entire process.

That's my take. What's yours? Bring it to AL.com All-Access, our daily chat and confessional, from 10-11 a.m.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/alcom_all-access_whats_the_rea.html

Bama_Man
02-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Well the kid was told before he signed, and he has a chance to go somewhere else if he doesn't like the possibility of greyshirting.

TexasFight
02-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Well the kid was told before he signed, and he has a chance to go somewhere else if he doesn't like the possibility of greyshirting.

How magnanimous.

Friedchickenman
02-01-2016, 06:33 PM
At least it's not as bad as what Philon went through, that was brutal.

Herchel
02-02-2016, 06:18 AM
Fans will rationalize anything.

Bama_Man
02-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Fans will rationalize anything.

Your new HC just came from Alabama, you're either going to have to lose the passive aggressive bullsht or stop rooting for your school.

I'm not saying its ideal for the kid, only that he was not completely thrown to the wolves. And he was not told he would definitely have to greyshirt, only that it was a possibility. Its not like he had his scholarship offer pulled three days before NSD.

ugabrad
02-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Isn't a "greyshirt" where the student does not get a scholarship for that year?

BigBamaFan
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Isn't a "greyshirt" where the student does not get a scholarship for that year?
Yes basically the parents pay for fall semester and the player gets his scholarship in the spring as a early enrollee the downside he cant practice with the team in the fall but can do off season work outs

Reb32
02-03-2016, 09:11 AM
We are in need of linebackers @ Ole Miss........just saying.

ugabrad
02-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Yes basically the parents pay for fall semester and the player gets his scholarship in the spring as a early enrollee the downside he cant practice with the team in the fall but can do off season work outs

So, being told three days before NSD that he might not get his scholarship is worse than having it pulled. Now he is dealing with uncertainty. I do not know his family's financial situation, but many football players can not afford to go to school without that scholarship...

IBCW
02-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Noticed Cole committed to South Alabama, good luck to him.