AU snaps 18 game losing streak against Kentucky [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : AU snaps 18 game losing streak against Kentucky

Friedchickenman
01-16-2016, 07:01 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400830399

AUBURN, Ala. -- Kareem Canty scored 26 points, including two free throws with 20 seconds left, helping lift Auburn to a 75-70 upset of No. 14 Kentucky on Saturday.

The Tigers (8-8, 2-3 Southeastern Conference) wiped out a 12-point second-half deficit to snap an 18-game losing streak to the Wildcats (13-4, 3-2). Auburn's only win in the last 33 meetings had come in 2000, and students stormed the court to celebrate the upset.

Tyler Harris added 21 points and 11 rebounds and made two free throws in the final minute. Kentucky's Jamal Murray made a 3-pointer with 13 seconds left, and Canty missed two free throws to give Kentucky hope.

Tyler Ulis scored 17 points but missed a 3-point attempt at the other end that would have kept Kentucky alive. Ulis also had 10 rebounds and eight assists. Murray scored 20 points on 8-of-22 shooting.

Canty drove for a tying layup with 1:32 left and was fouled by Ulis. Canty came up favoring his right leg but hit the free throw to give Auburn the lead for good.

Harris rebounded a missed shot and hit two more from the free throw line with 34 seconds to push it to 72-67. He then grabbed the ball after Ulis missed on a drive.

Auburn had rallied from a 47-35 deficit with a 21-4 run punctuated by 3-pointers by Canty and Harris, taking a 56-51 lead midway through the half. Harris made all three of his 3-point attempts.

Auburn, which has lost key guards Tahj Shamsid-Deen and T.J. Dunans to injuries, hit 12 3-pointers, five by Canty. The Tigers were 6-of-10 from beyond the arc in the second half to spearhead the comeback.

They had dropped 15 straight games against ranked opponents since a win over No. 23 Mississippi State on Feb. 18, 2012.

Derek Willis added 12 points and 12 rebounds for Kentucky, which made 25 of 72 shots (34.7 percent).

The only other bench points for the Wildcats came from Skal Labissiere, who scored four points but also drew a technical foul.

BARBEE RECRUITING

Former Auburn coach Tony Barbee did not attend the game. Now a Kentucky assistant, Barbee was recruiting Saturday, a Wildcats spokeswoman said. Auburn fired Barbee after he went 18-50 in SEC games over four seasons.

BOWERS BACK

Auburn forward Cinmeon Bowers returned to the starting lineup after coming off the bench seven straight games. He had eight points and 10 rebounds.

TIP-INS

Kentucky: Shot 11-of-35 in the second half and made 6-of-18 3-pointers for the game. ... Outrebounded Auburn 48-38.

Auburn: Made 21 of 31 free throws and 12 of 26 3-point attempts.

UP NEXT

Kentucky visits Arkansas on Thursday.

Auburn hosts Alabama on Tuesday.

zud the hut
01-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Congrats on your win! Any win over UK is to be celebrated!

MKfromPA
01-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Congrats to AU on the victory.

The fans stormed the court even though the PA announcer said not to. :lol:

GR8NESS
01-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Folks, UK is NIT bound. Still play at A&M, at KU, at VU, at UT, at UF, at Arkansas, at USC. Best case scenario is 2-5. Home games against a healthy Vandy and LSU. I think we split those. That's six more losses, puts us 21-10. 1-1 in the SECT, 22-11 with really... No good wins. Duke has sh*t the bed and Louisville is who we thought they were.

Is what it is. You win some and you lose some when you turn your whole roster over year after year. Maybe Skal wakes up with a unibrow tomorrow and we improve, but I highly doubt it.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-17-2016, 03:05 PM
:rotf:

Friedchickenman
01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Congrats to AU on the victory.

The fans stormed the court even though the PA announcer said not to. :lol:

Hasn't been much to celebrate this year in AU atheltics, but yeah it's going to cost the university 100k apparently but we'll take it lol.

Gr8ness, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't even watch the game, I just assumed if we were getting stomped by Missouri we wouldn't have a shot here, but I was wrong. From what I can tell though UK lacks the "big man" presence. Without that it was just guards versus guards and AU has some good ones so it's not surprising that if that was the case we won the game. I'm not really expecting much after this though unless Purifoy gets cleared, because we're still undermanned and limping through the schedule right now and lack any sort of inside presence that can help us win more consistently.

GR8NESS
01-17-2016, 10:21 PM
I think you have a pretty good assessment. Skal busted on us this year (not his fault, he hadn't played a real game in a year and a half essentially). Briscoe can't shoot. Ulis I think is still feeling the elbow. Murray racks up points in garbage time. It is what it is. As I'm sure you can attest and Alabama fans could too, seasons like this are way easier to take after a bunch of good post season results.

msudawg4life
01-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Good job Auburn...a win over UK is always a nice thing..especially if you are a team that has struggled as of late. That said...this UK teams is not close to the UK teams we are used to...I've said all year since watching them play, they just don't have the same look or feel to UK teams we are used to seeing. I don't know if its a leadership thing...players underachieving...coaching....who knows.

Friedchickenman
01-18-2016, 03:22 PM
I think it's like Gr8ness said, you can't expect to turn over your entire roster every year and not be surprised that occasionally even though you've recruited the best guys possible, they might not gel or be ready for primetime yet. UK will probably be much better by season's end but yeah, the team has some issues.

kentubbybasketball
01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Good job Auburn...a win over UK is always a nice thing..especially if you are a team that has struggled as of late. That said...this UK teams is not close to the UK teams we are used to...I've said all year since watching them play, they just don't have the same look or feel to UK teams we are used to seeing. I don't know if its a leadership thing...players underachieving...coaching....who knows.

What teams do have it figured out. The new team voted unanimous #1 just lost the same day for instance. UK is going to be fine. I would rather have a talented roster with issues than a non-talented issue with rosters. Talent always rises to the top; however, if your issue is a lack of talent, you really have no way to fix that.

Maybe Cal will come up with another team. We've been to four final fours in the last 5 seasons, and in two of those seasons we had bad regular seasons, just like this one. The 2012 national champs and last year's 38-1 team are unusual. Typically, with young rosters you will have hiccups... that said, UK is still 13-4. The sky is not falling. To me the biggest issue has nothing to do with youth and everything to do with consistency of performance, which maybe could be attributed to youth. However, if our bigs actually find a way to consistently perform, we'll be where we want to be in March. The goal is to figure this thing out by March. If it takes a loss or two to figure that out, so be it.

I will say to argue your point, it's not a leadership issue. Tyler Ulis in my estimation is one of the best leaders we've ever had at UK.

msudawg4life
01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
I can't put my finger on it Tub...this UK teams just doesn't seem to have IT...I hope Im wrong on that....just what I see so far.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2016, 04:28 PM
I don't think any team has it this year. The fact that about 30 teams think they can win the national title is testament to that. Last year only 3 teams felt that way.

There's not a single team in the country that I don't think we can't beat in a one game playoff. I'm not worried.