Ben Howland has now accomplished something Rick Ray never did [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Ben Howland has now accomplished something Rick Ray never did

Wave&Dawgs
01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
An 0-4 start in SEC play. What an absolute dumpster fire this season has been. Not even going to waste my time blocking out two hours twice a week to watch this underachieving team until they decide to pull their heads out of their asses.

joehogjoe
01-16-2016, 05:42 PM
given time Howland will be fine but yes Rick Ray is partially responsible for this start. But really it's the fault of the people who forced Stansbury out

msudawg4life
01-18-2016, 02:11 PM
You can't take a group of guys who only know how to Lose and underachieve and turn them into winners in one summer. I believe as we move forward and lose some of these players that are not really SEC talent IMO the team as a whole will be better over the next few years.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Its very frustrating, but its a process. Newman and Weatherspoon are both Freshman and both have very bright futures. But the rest of the team has never won at this level and simply don't know how to win consistently. Weatherspoon and Newman will be Sophs next year to go along with a top 5 recruiting class. We will be young next year but I truly expect us to be a totally different team.

Dawgilicious
01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Its very frustrating, but its a process. Newman and Weatherspoon are both Freshman and both have very bright futures. But the rest of the team has never won at this level and simply don't know how to win consistently. Weatherspoon and Newman will be Sophs next year to go along with a top 5 recruiting class. We will be young next year but I truly expect us to be a totally different team.

You think Newman is coming back? I always thought he was a one and done guy

kentubbybasketball
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
You can't take a group of guys who only know how to Lose and underachieve and turn them into winners in one summer. I believe as we move forward and lose some of these players that are not really SEC talent IMO the team as a whole will be better over the next few years.

You know more about the situation than I do, and with MSU, I'll always defer to you and NC out of respect. However, IMO, it's the holdovers that are actually keeping MSU afloat. For instance, without Gavin Ware where would you guys be. I think the next recruiting class with Kegler and Schinard will be a major help. You've got a guy at every position. However, I don't think you can completely pin this season on your seniors and other returnees.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-19-2016, 03:18 PM
You think Newman is coming back? I always thought he was a one and done guy

He better step up his play if he wants to be in the NBA next season. Don't get it wrong, he's contributing and playing OK at times but he isn't NBA ready IMO yet. Some could argue that Weatherspoon has been our best Freshman this year. He has a bright future and knows he's not one and done.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-19-2016, 03:30 PM
You know more about the situation than I do, and with MSU, I'll always defer to you and NC out of respect. However, IMO, it's the holdovers that are actually keeping MSU afloat. For instance, without Gavin Ware where would you guys be. I think the next recruiting class with Kegler and Schinard will be a major help. You've got a guy at every position. However, I don't think you can completely pin this season on your seniors and other returnees.

Good point KT, I think its a mixture of everything. The upperclassmen, chemistry, developing youth, depth (especially the bigs) and having a new coach. I truly expect a better season next year, we should be more experienced and more talented.

Dawgilicious
01-19-2016, 03:37 PM
He better step up his play if he wants to be in the NBA next season. Don't get it wrong, he's contributing and playing OK at times but he isn't NBA ready IMO yet. Some could argue that Weatherspoon has been our best Freshman this year. He has a bright future and knows he's not one and done.

Yeah, just cause a guy isnt NBA ready doesn't mean he won't go. We have seen that a lot over the years. He would be best suited for another year in college, but I'm not sure he stays

kentubbybasketball
01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Better suited for another year in college by what logic. If somebody is going to pay you first round money to leave now, I'd say you should leave now. The thing about Newman is this. What's his pro position. He's a 1/2 tweener. Too small for the 2 but really not a point guard.

Dawgilicious
01-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Is money all that matters? What do you gain by riding the bench for a year when you could be playing in college? I guess it doesnt matter if a kid is ready for the NBA or not

Wave&Dawgs
01-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Unbelievable. We have the worst ****ing luck. Been in every damn game down the stretch and just can't pull one out. I hate the **** out of this season.

Dawgilicious
01-19-2016, 09:20 PM
I was going to say that. They are competitive at least. They had a great chance to win that game. Patience man

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Is money all that matters? What do you gain by riding the bench for a year when you could be playing in college? I guess it doesnt matter if a kid is ready for the NBA or not

When yiu don't know everybody's situation, maybe money does matter. You said he'd be better served perhaps by staying... how much do you know Newman. You're basing that off what: the past when guys were projected similarly? I can only does for UK, but I imagine it's the same for MSU: being in the NBA even if you're on the bench for a year or two is better preparation than being at UK or MSU in Newman's case.

It's not my place to say what Newman SHOULD do. That's my point. I'm not going to be arrogant enough to make such a proclomation.

msudawg4life
01-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Unbelievable. We have the worst ****ing luck. Been in every damn game down the stretch and just can't pull one out. I hate the **** out of this season.

Yup..def can't say they aren't competitive...against the top teams in the SEC they have been in ALL the games...after the past few seasons of dumpster fires I have patience as long as I see progression...I believe that will happen more as we get more of Ben's kids here in Campus.

msudawg4life
01-20-2016, 02:20 PM

Ware is actually my favorite player....And him and Sword have been fun to watch..it's more some of the others that I'm talking about. I'm so ready for Fred Thomas to be gone.

Wave&Dawgs
01-23-2016, 05:48 PM
The streak is over! Couldn't have picked a better team to do it against! And it's nice to finally see the Malik we were all expecting.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Ware is actually my favorite player....And him and Sword have been fun to watch..it's more some of the others that I'm talking about. I'm so ready for Fred Thomas to be gone.
4life and NC, did you guys get to watch the Ole Miss? I was impressed with OM honestly without Moody.

Wave&Dawgs
01-23-2016, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=kentubbybasketball;1895390]4life and NC, did you guys get to watch the Ole Miss? I was impressed with OM honestly without Moody.[/QUOTE

I watched the last 8 minutes or so, so I think I caught them at their worst part of the game, but it was nice to see MSU finally close a game out. Clutch FTs and shots down the stretch. Defense looked great too. Hopefully this sparks the beginning of a turnaround.

GR8NESS
01-23-2016, 10:36 PM

NBA doesn't draft on "ready," only potential. Just ask any UK fan...it's frustrating to say the least. Not saying I blame them, but it sucks when you're recruiting this type of guy. I'll still take it though.

msudawg4life
01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
4life and NC, did you guys get to watch the Ole Miss? I was impressed with OM honestly without Moody.

I wasn't....its expected that they would play good..its a rivalry game and I'm sure Kennedy had them hyped up...they played over their heads most of the game...was a good one..credit to Ole Miss though..but I knew they would come into the hump playing inspired ball. Happy to get Ben H his first W...we have been in a lot of close games with upper SEC tier teams already..good to get over the top finally.

msudawg4life
01-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Was good to see Newman finally heat up behind the arc. granted it took ole Miss players talking trash to light that fire...but hey..if that's what it takes. So be it

kentubbybasketball
01-24-2016, 11:27 AM
I wasn't....its expected that they would play good..its a rivalry game and I'm sure Kennedy had them hyped up...they played over their heads most of the game...was a good one..credit to Ole Miss though..but I knew they would come into the hump playing inspired ball. Happy to get Ben H his first W...we have been in a lot of close games with upper SEC tier teams already..good to get over the top finally.
I disagree. I've seen just as many lopsided rivalry game results as nailbiters. Ole Miss gets consistent scoring from only two people and the man one was out and Said is banged up too. Ole Miss could've simply mailed it in but did not.

msudawg4life
01-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Of course they didn't mail it...it was a rivalry game against their instate rival that has a new coach and hadn't won a SEC game yet....

msudawg4life
01-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Great W for our Woman's basketball team last night....beating UT for the first time EVER....overcoming a 12+ point deficit in the 4th quarter to win the game in OT. Proud of those Lady Bulldogs!

Wave&Dawgs
02-02-2016, 11:26 PM
What a ****ing choke job tonight. I can't wait until I never have to see Craig Sword in an MSU uniform again. Totally blew it for us in both regulation and OT. Get these Rick Ray losers out of here.

msudawg4life
02-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Sword "had" so much potential..but he never had a great chance to truly develop under Ray...

Wave&Dawgs
02-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Sword "had" so much potential..but he never had a great chance to truly develop under Ray...

Ware and Ready have somehow developed into decent players though, so I'm not really sure why Sword hasn't been able to figure it out. Thomas is another huge disappointment. Other than hitting like 1 or 2 threes a game, I never even notice him on the floor. Except for, you know, his complete failure of a decision to drive the ball to the hoop with less than 5 seconds left down by 3.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Sword has probably been the most consistent player since his Freshman year, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing though. What I'm saying is he has basically averaged about the same amount of points from year to year, his numbers across the board haven't changed much. He's had some good games for us along the way though so I can't completely throw him under the bus. Bottom line is as much as I appreciate there dedication and hustle over the years, its time for a new group of guys to come in to go along with Weatherspoon, Holman and potentially Newman.

That being said, we've just been unlucky this season, the improvement is there, especially with the new guys playing the way they do. Our problem is we simply can't finish games. We have been in 90% of our games this season but just can't seal the deal. I really am looking forward to adding next years class to the talented Freshman we have now. We will be young, but we will have a lot of talent on campus.

msudawg4life
02-04-2016, 11:52 AM
I was not trying to imply that Sword was a bad player....you are right, he has been very consistent. My point is that to me he had the most promise of any of the recruits from that class Ray brought in and he has not come anywhere CLOSE to what I thought he would develop into. I am not even going to comment on Thomas because I have never been a fan of his. Ware has really bought in and taken it upon himself to improve and make something out of his time at MSU. Sometime players have that fire to get better and he has it.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I agree completely, that's why I mentioned I don't really know if Swords consistency is fully a positive thing. Its good to be consistent but from your Freshman to Senior year, you wanna see growth and improvement, Sword really didn't improve much from his Freshman year until now. His numbers aren't horrible but just not numbers that set the world on fire either. Here are his stats for all four years:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61637/craig-sword

Like I said, not horrible numbers but numbers I would have liked to see improve every year. But I agree on Ware and Ready, those two guys have improved drastically. Ware has become one of the best big men in the SEC. The guy that the SEC better watch for is Weatherspooon, I can't wait to see him and Ready with next years class.

msudawg4life
02-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Those 3 pt% and Ft% numbers are just terrible....his ft #'s should be 80%+ ......I think the amount of ft's per game he takes is decent but if not making them it really does not matter...overall his numbers are about at par with someone who is a good role player....but for someone of his ability he has underperformed really bad imo.

msudawg4life
02-16-2016, 11:49 PM
All the talk about Newman this year....the best Freshman on MSU may be Weatherspoon....

Wave&Dawgs
02-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Last night totally encapsulates why Q is better than Newman this year. Newman shoots for the game winner, doesn't even hit the rim. Q tries, it also misses the rim because it hit nothing but net.

BTW, this, of course, would be one of the games that I decide not to watch this year. I saw the big second half deficit and decided screw it, I'm going to bed. What a great comeback, though. They finally closed out a game that went down to the wire!

msudawg4life
02-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Also don't forget..Q plays much better D as well.