LSU defeats Kentucky by 18 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU defeats Kentucky by 18

Bayou Bengal 72
01-05-2016, 11:28 PM
LSU beats UK 85-67 in B.R.

joehogjoe
01-06-2016, 12:00 AM
You gotta love Ben Simmons. I want to hate him because he wears purple but he is such a fine basketball player. Best since Lebron. But what really makes him special is that he's just a damn good smart kid that enjoys his life.

LSUTigers1404
01-06-2016, 12:14 AM
That was a fun game to watch. Time will tell what effect it will have on our season. It's most certainly a resume building win. We have a lot more we need to do though.

Dawgilicious
01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Quarterman was oustanding for LSU. They finally have their entire team there with Hornsby back from injury and Victor eligible. LSU is looking good right now

SkyAntoine
01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Congrats to LSU. We got whipped.
Ulis is our only consistent player right now. Murray is really frustrating because he can score 20 while turning the ball over and giving the other team 21 points.
If Briscoe is fouled and goes to the line it is the equivalent of a turnover.
I was very worried about this game. We have no one that can match up with Simmons and when we got into foul trouble it was over.

Not sure that I've ever seen a team as talented yet so frustrating. By the end of the season we could be final four worthy or we could be bounced in the 1st round.

kentubbybasketball
01-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Sky, the thing that is the most egregious to me is that at least three, if not four of Lee's five fouls were on the offensive end. Okay, if you're going to get a foul defending in the post. I'll live with that.

But, then, it's like how many times are guys going to give up and ones? If you're going to foul somebody, foul them. Preferably, it'd be nice if you move your feet and tried to provide some resistance. However, if you're going to foul prevent the other team from getting an and one by actually knocking them down or something.

The thing about Briscoe is a great point. Honestly, he ruins your offense. The only thing the fouls he draws are good for is that they put us closer to the bonus, otherwise, his free throws are a disadvantage, because it puts the other team in transition, since we can't grab an offensive rebound.

That's the next thing, Skal and Willis both had rebounds in their clutches and just let the ball go. Hands of velcro, they don't have. lol

Two final observations, we struggle with teams that have dynamic 6'6-6'8 wings. We just don't have a matchup for them, since we go with three guards. Ohio State showed that and now LSU did with Quarterman also.

The other thing is, you gotta blame Cal for some of this. Now, I know this might be unpopular, but when Tubby was here, adjustments were made. Cal made no adjustments. First, I would have played CHarles Matthews more, because he actually has the size on the wing to compete with what LSU was throwing at us. Also, Cal went zone at the 4:38 mark in the second half. Umm, if you're two post players foul out by the 13 minute mark, you gotta go zone to prevent drives into the rim and maybe slow LSU down some. By the time, Cal went zone it was too late. Zone defense might be this team's best defense honestly. I think Cal was just frustrated with how his team just would not compete that he was probably miffed on the sideline too. I definitely can't pin this loss completely on him and his coaching.

That said, I'm not discouraged. I still think the SEC is ours to win. I still think the national title is ours to win. We have one of the three best coaches in the country, and one of the three best point guards. That will take you far. This team will grow exponentially between now and March. Let's face it, LSU played like this game meant something to them, as all teams do. YOu could clearly see by LSU's lockerroom post game celebration with all the dancing that Jones was doing that this win meant something to them. This year we don't have the same margin for error to play our D game while the home team is playing its A game and still win. This isn't 2010, 2012, or 2015.

GoDores
01-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Not sure that I've ever seen a team as talented yet so frustrating. By the end of the season we could be final four worthy or we could be bounced in the 1st round.

Umm.... :wave:

Bama_Man
01-06-2016, 04:34 PM
lol at GoDores, so true. LSU was very impressive last night, but I'm not sure how elite UK really is.

kentubbybasketball
01-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but Go wasn't saying whether or not UK is elite or not. He was waving as if to say, "Vandy is talented and is frustrating him." The dig at UK was unnecessary. Perhaps last season spoiled you or something, but UK is following a similar path that most good teams follow in any given season where you lose on the road to teams that are talented. As far as being elite, sure we'd love to win every game, but the goal has never been to be elite on January 5.

Bama_Man
01-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but Go wasn't saying whether or not UK is elite or not. He was waving as if to say, "Vandy is talented and is frustrating him." The dig at UK was unnecessary. Perhaps last season spoiled you or something, but UK is following a similar path that most good teams follow in any given season where you lose on the road to teams that are talented. As far as being elite, sure we'd love to win every game, but the goal has never been to be elite on January 5.

I know exactly what Go was saying, I am not a moron., thanks for the totally unnecessary explanation.

kentubbybasketball
01-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Clearly you needed it because you missed his point.

Bama_Man
01-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Clearly you needed it because you missed his point.

No, I knew exactly what he meant. My second statement was independent of recognizing Gos joke. I'm sorry your reading comprehension failed you. Defensive much? Projecting your insecurities about UK on my post, which was recognizing Gos joke about VU being unpredictable and then commenting on the game.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-08-2016, 06:59 PM
:rotf:

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2016, 11:03 AM
No, I knew exactly what he meant. My second statement was independent of recognizing Gos joke. I'm sorry your reading comprehension failed you. Defensive much? Projecting your insecurities about UK on my post, which was recognizing Gos joke about VU being unpredictable and then commenting on the game.

Clearly you had one whole thought about the whole thing. It was separate ideas is a convenient cover now that you're weak stuff has been called out.

Insecurities? Please. I gotta laugh like the person above this post. This is not life or death for me like it once was.
Life is much more fuller for me, I actually feel sorry for you if you allow sports to have that kind of affect on you. If jm insecure it wobt be because of sports. Get real. Wouldve loved to beat LSU, but the sun still rose Wednesday and I was still blessed with a great life. I think last year being so great and not closing the deal helped me to realize that. It's the same reason I'm not sitting around trolling people on a message board like you are. Get a life. If I was really insecure I wouldve posted here after we beat Duke bragging about an accomplishment no other SEC team will accomplish.
I look forward to UK winning the national title and SEC titles this year, and if it doesn't happen this year, hopefully it will next.

Dr.SwineSmeller
01-09-2016, 11:58 AM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Clearly you had one whole thought about the whole thing. It was separate ideas is a convenient cover now that you're weak stuff has been called out.

Insecurities? Please. I gotta laugh like the person above this post. This is not life or death for me like it once was.
Life is much more fuller for me, I actually feel sorry for you if you allow sports to have that kind of affect on you. If jm insecure it wobt be because of sports. Get real. Wouldve loved to beat LSU, but the sun still rose Wednesday and I was still blessed with a great life. I think last year being so great and not closing the deal helped me to realize that. It's the same reason I'm not sitting around trolling people on a message board like you are. Get a life. If I was really insecure I wouldve posted here after we beat Duke bragging about an accomplishment no other SEC team will accomplish.
I look forward to UK winning the national title and SEC titles this year, and if it doesn't happen this year, hopefully it will next.

I understood exactly what he meant when I read his post. I think you are just mad because you didn't understand it at first and now look like an idiot.

Also, this post SCREAMS insecurity. The more you try to convince everyone who insecure you aren't, the more insecure you look.

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Think what you want to think. I stopped caring what your opinion was a long time ago about me. Where's the MSU fans here that actually talk hoops... paging NC and 4life. There's a reason this board is suffering and class guys like that don't come around often.

If I wasn't insecure thru two NIT years recently I don't get why id be now with our current team that is good.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Dude, you are insecure even when Kentucky is #1 in the nation and undefeated. You take everything in the world as a slight against UK. Literally everything. Anyone with half a brain could tell what BamaFan's post meant. But you are so damn insecure about everything being a slight against Kentucky, you immediately jumped to that conclusion.

You just can't handle it when anyone on the internet does anything other but blow smoke up Kentucky's ass. Hell not even that. You can't handle it when someone starts a thread in this sub-forum that isn't about Kentucky, as you manage to find a way to insert them into basically every topic, whether it's about them or not.

You wonder why hardly anyone posts in this forum anymore? All you have to do is look in the mirror, buddy, and you will find the answer to that question.

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Like I said, think what you want to think. What you say in that post won't be validated with a response, because it's not true.

Wave&Dawgs
01-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Like I said, think what you want to think. What you say in that post won't be validated with a response, because it's not true.

:rotf: But you literally did just validate it with a response. Ask pretty much anyone else on this forum, they will agree with my assessment of you 100%.

kentubbybasketball
01-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Think what you want to think.

GR8NESS
01-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Lol this thread

msudawg4life
01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
All I have to say is Simmons is a true talent...I enjoy watching him each time I find LSU on TV. I've even found myself looking for LSU games just to watch him play. I think this UK teams has the talent TO be great...but so far I'm not seeing the gel I have seen in years past...I'm not quite sure it will happen. A coach can only do so much.

kentubbybasketball
01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Great opinion and thoughts, 4life. It may not happen, but chances are it will. It has gelled every year by March since Cal has been here except the year that Nerlens Noel got injured. I think Cal's whole thing and it's said about Izzo a lot too is that he's purposefully not trying to get his team to completely gel in December and January. It's hard to play at a high level for 5 months, so who knows. I think UK is in good position. For what it's worth UK is 12-3. The sky is not falling. We knew we'd have some scrapes this year, so when they happen I don't get why people overreact. You do a great job of expressing a logical opinion by the way. I appreciate you.

What do you think about the UK-MSU game tomorrow night?

joehogjoe
01-12-2016, 12:01 AM
All I have to say is Simmons is a true talent...I enjoy watching him each time I find LSU on TV. I've even found myself looking for LSU games just to watch him play. I think this UK teams has the talent TO be great...but so far I'm not seeing the gel I have seen in years past...I'm not quite sure it will happen. A coach can only do so much.

He's the best talent in the SEC since Shaq. Unbelievable and an artist on the court.

kentubbybasketball
01-12-2016, 06:12 AM
He's the best since Anthony Davis, who won a national title, Olympic gold medal, NPOY, NDPOY, SECPOY, SECDPOY, NFOY, SECFOY, and was the no.1 pick.

Bama_Man
01-12-2016, 03:54 PM
I understood exactly what he meant when I read his post. I think you are just mad because you didn't understand it at first and now look like an idiot.

Also, this post SCREAMS insecurity. The more you try to convince everyone who insecure you aren't, the more insecure you look.

Exactly. Everyone on the forum understood what I meant but you.

Bama_Man
01-12-2016, 03:56 PM
He's the best since Anthony Davis, who won a national title, Olympic gold medal, NPOY, NDPOY, SECPOY, SECDPOY, NFOY, SECFOY, and was the no.1 pick.

Shaq was all of those things as well, including winning Olympic gold.

joehogjoe
01-12-2016, 11:21 PM
He's the best since Anthony Davis, who won a national title, Olympic gold medal, NPOY, NDPOY, SECPOY, SECDPOY, NFOY, SECFOY, and was the no.1 pick. He's even better than Davis. But yeah Davis was pretty awesome. No disrespect. I just believe Simmons is the best I've seen in a long time.

msudawg4life
01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Tubb....Msu game went about as I figured it would go....we had a chance to do something and we wasted the opportunity. We did the same thing with Arky and A&M. We def have the talent to pull of some upsets this year...but the two group of talent there do not mesh. Out perimeter D is weak and allows teams way to many clean and non protested looks at the basket. Our interior D is much more solid then our outside which is kinda weird because we are thin inside player wise.

kentubbybasketball
01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
He's even better than Davis. But yeah Davis was pretty awesome. No disrespect. I just believe Simmons is the best I've seen in a long time.

I don't feel disrespected. Can we not just share opinions around here without people thinking there's disrespect? Those people are not worth my time, and quite frankly they can say what they want to say. That's why the ignore feature is so great. I'll just ignore the two of them, because they don't have anything of coherence to add about basketball anyway from what I can gather or they simply don't want too and would rather mudsling.

Your point is well-taken. I'll just say this. It's fair to say one way or the other, but IMO, Anthony Davis will be the best player in the NBA in 3 years, this "disappointing" year notwithstanding. You can pick your poison, I don't think you can go wrong with either Ant or Simmons. But for me when we're talking about best player in the SEC, I have to consider what Anthony Davis did in one season (in the SEC) as the high water mark, even down to winning the national title that Shaq never got close to winning. I just don't think Simmons will be there. He won't win the title that Davis won and he won't be NPOY like Davis. Buddy Hield is that IMO, and even if Simmons does win one of the awards, Davis SWEPT them all. Simmons is the best since Davis, and he's not better than Davis was. I just don't know how that's defended by results, play, or even stats. I'd like to hear your thought process to help me understand, because I'm willing to change my opinion. I just think someone like Davis was able to play with other stars and take the 5th most shots on his team and still win a title. That's very rare.

kentubbybasketball
01-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Tubb....Msu game went about as I figured it would go....we had a chance to do something and we wasted the opportunity. We did the same thing with Arky and A&M. We def have the talent to pull of some upsets this year...but the two group of talent there do not mesh. Out perimeter D is weak and allows teams way to many clean and non protested looks at the basket. Our interior D is much more solid then our outside which is kinda weird because we are thin inside player wise.

I didn't get to watch the game yet. I'm disappointed in our guys too, because we had a wasted opportunity too. Our guys can get a 20 point lead and just let it evaporate so quickly. We don't have enough guys with the killer instinct to be up by 20 so they win by 35. FWIW, though, this was our first win this year that was in single digits. Every other game we've won by double digits, so it's not like we're winning by healthy margins, it's just that you should win by more than 6 or 8 if you're up by 20.

joehogjoe
01-13-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't feel disrespected. Can we not just share opinions around here without people thinking there's disrespect? Those people are not worth my time, and quite frankly they can say what they want to say. That's why the ignore feature is so great. I'll just ignore the two of them, because they don't have anything of coherence to add about basketball anyway from what I can gather or they simply don't want too and would rather mudsling.

Your point is well-taken. I'll just say this. It's fair to say one way or the other, but IMO, Anthony Davis will be the best player in the NBA in 3 years, this "disappointing" year notwithstanding. You can pick your poison, I don't think you can go wrong with either Ant or Simmons. But for me when we're talking about best player in the SEC, I have to consider what Anthony Davis did in one season (in the SEC) as the high water mark, even down to winning the national title that Shaq never got close to winning. I just don't think Simmons will be there. He won't win the title that Davis won and he won't be NPOY like Davis. Buddy Hield is that IMO, and even if Simmons does win one of the awards, Davis SWEPT them all. Simmons is the best since Davis, and he's not better than Davis was. I just don't know how that's defended by results, play, or even stats. I'd like to hear your thought process to help me understand, because I'm willing to change my opinion. I just think someone like Davis was able to play with other stars and take the 5th most shots on his team and still win a title. That's very rare.

I wasn't talking about disrespecting you. I meant I wasn't disrespting Davis' talent. I do consider him the best SEC player this century, though I think of Walls too.

kentubbybasketball
01-13-2016, 10:05 PM
If he's the SEC's best player this century (a point I concur with), how can you then say Simmons is better? You're contradicting your initial point.

IN opinion if I was rating them John Wall is not better than Davis or even Towns. I would say that Wall is the most influential though. He was really Cal's first recruit, and he's the one that's begun this one and done culture at UK that Duke subscribes to now also. Wall was more influential than anybody else for sure. Gotta give him his props.

Simmons is definitely in the discussion. Imo though Davis' impact was greater, his stats more meaningful, and he won more.

joehogjoe
01-14-2016, 07:16 PM
I said Davis is the best this century but I believe Simmons is the most talented. Davis won more but that is because he had much better teammates. I am not sure that he would have had quite the impact at LSU. I will say this both elevate their teammates.

I would take either.

Wave&Dawgs
01-14-2016, 07:27 PM
If he's the SEC's best player this century (a point I concur with), how can you then say Simmons is better? You're contradicting your initial point.

IN opinion if I was rating them John Wall is not better than Davis or even Towns. I would say that Wall is the most influential though. He was really Cal's first recruit, and he's the one that's begun this one and done culture at UK that Duke subscribes to now also. Wall was more influential than anybody else for sure. Gotta give him his props.

Simmons is definitely in the discussion. Imo though Davis' impact was greater, his stats more meaningful, and he won more.

No **** Davis won more, he was surrounded by almost exclusively first round picks. Stupid comparison is stupid.

kentubbybasketball
01-14-2016, 09:14 PM
I said Davis is the best this century but I believe Simmons is the most talented. Davis won more but that is because he had much better teammates. I am not sure that he would have had quite the impact at LSU. I will say this both elevate their teammates.

I would take either.

Since when was having good teammates a detriment to a greatest player discussion. That's like saying MJ doesn't deserve to be called better than Clyde Drexler because he had Scottie Pippen.

Let's face it UK isn't winning 38 games and a title without Davis. That 38 games that was won by Davis is the most in history. To me to compare Simmons who is barely .500 is insane. Simmons' teammates aren't THAT bad.

Either way you're opinion is respected. I mean how can we argue one's talent vs the others. Its spliitting hairs
I mean, people forget that Davis is the most talented shotblocker and defender perhaps in SEC. Arguing talent vs talent it's quite even, when you factor in team success the pendulum is clearly swinging one way. That's the difference.