Is The SEC Going To Be Better Overall This Year? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Is The SEC Going To Be Better Overall This Year?

iowacat
11-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Here we are with a new year of basketball and was wondering from some of the games played so far. Is the SEC going to be better this year?

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2015, 07:10 PM
It's an odd thing just because UK will be down somewhat this year and I think a lot of the national perception is tied to UK and Florida for that matter, and they will not be where they were two years ago either.

However, teams like LSU, TAMU, and Vanderbilt should make for a more competitive race, which to me means that it will be better.

iowacat
11-19-2015, 07:35 PM
I think it might be better but my concern are the lower half of the teams. With Bama getting beat by 30 and Old Miss losing who knows. I think LSU, Tamu, Vandy and UK will represent but the rest of the teams really concern me.

xAuBuRn
11-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Some bad losses for the SEC today.

Miami over MSU should not be a surprise, but they were demolished.
George Mason over Ole Miss.

Vandy is tied 21-21 with Stony Brook late in the first quarter.

GR8NESS
11-20-2015, 09:59 PM
No. Same old stuff. Nobody cares about it except for UK and a few others who feign interest.

Dawgilicious
11-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Poor poor UK fan. That must be a minority because the league will be a lot tougher this season with literally no easy game on the schedule. Very easily could see a bulk of teams fighting for bids with a lot of the conference making so sort of postseason

iowacat
11-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Poor poor UK fan. That must be a minority because the league will be a lot tougher this season with literally no easy game on the schedule. Very easily could see a bulk of teams fighting for bids with a lot of the conference making so sort of postseason

I think the SEC will a little better but a "lot tougher is a stretch". With 4 new coaches it will take another year or two to see the results from them. LSU has the talent to overcome Jones as a coach. I think he might be the weakest of the bunch. Losing Donovan really hurt but White might be better then people think. We will see as the season progresses.

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2015, 10:29 AM
To me if Vandy can be a top 4 seed, the SEC is a lot better. TAMU and LSU will be in bid contention to. That's a solid top 4 that's much better than last year. No team is as good as UK was last year but after that the top 4 this year are better than last year's second beat Arkansas team.

iowacat
11-21-2015, 10:33 AM
I agree Kt but my concern is the rest of the SEC. What is going to take to get 8-10 very good teams in the SEC every year. Maybe Cal should stop recruiting in the SEC country.

To me if Vandy can be a top 4 seed, the SEC is a lot better. TAMU and LSU will be in bid contention to. That's a solid top 4 that's much better than last year. No team is as good as UK was last year but after that the top 4 this year are better than last year's second beat Arkansas team.

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2015, 11:21 AM
If the goal is 8 to ten teams that are solid/NCAAT teams that's unrealistic. Thats over 50% of the league. If the ACC, B1G, and Big 12 are already doing that, there won't be many bids left.
Historically the SEC gets 4 or 5 teams in on average yearly.

GatorMan32
11-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I think it might be better but my concern are the lower half of the teams. With Bama getting beat by 30 and Old Miss losing who knows. I think LSU, Tamu, Vandy and UK will represent but the rest of the teams really concern me.We may have a new coach but we have a ton of talent. I think UF has a real legit shot to be a tournament team this year. Obviously, we will learn a lot with games like the road trip to Michigan State coming up soon.

GatorMan32
11-22-2015, 11:02 AM
No. Same old stuff. Nobody cares about it except for UK and a few others who feign interest.lol....

SCgamecock2988
11-22-2015, 12:05 PM
We might actually be a NCAAT team this year. You're God damned right I'm excited about bball. We just lost to the f*cking Citadel in football.

Herchel
11-22-2015, 12:44 PM
No. Same old stuff. Nobody cares about it except for UK and a few others who feign interest.

It keeps me going until NSD.

GR8NESS
11-22-2015, 10:49 PM

It's the same exact same that's said every year. Every 5-10 years the SEC rises up and has a good year in basketball... 2003, 2014. Yet consistently we're asking "is the SEC going to be better this year?" There's a reason the question keeps being asked while MSU loses by 35 to Miami, UGA loses to Chattanooga, Ole Miss loses to GMU...

GR8NESS
11-22-2015, 10:53 PM
lol....

You and others laugh, yet no one offers a rebuttal. When was the last time the SEC was up enough that we didn't ask this question? Somewhere in the mid 2000s was the last "good year" I can think of. UK had the 03-04-05 run with two #1 overalls. Florida won B2B titles. MSU had a couple of good teams with Dick Stansbury. LSU made a Final Four with Bass and Baby.

The last time an SEC team made the final four besides UF/UK was that 2006 LSU team. To have 4 SEC programs in the final four, you have to go back to 1996 MSU!! That's awful..

Bama_Man
11-24-2015, 05:31 PM
You and others laugh, yet no one offers a rebuttal. When was the last time the SEC was up enough that we didn't ask this question? Somewhere in the mid 2000s was the last "good year" I can think of. UK had the 03-04-05 run with two #1 overalls. Florida won B2B titles. MSU had a couple of good teams with Dick Stansbury. LSU made a Final Four with Bass and Baby.

The last time an SEC team made the final four besides UF/UK was that 2006 LSU team. To have 4 SEC programs in the final four, you have to go back to 1996 MSU!! That's awful..

Alabama did make an elite eight in that time frame and upset #1 seed Syracuse and was also ranked #1 in the AP poll at one point, but we are horrible now. Like worst in the conference bad.

leland5
11-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Miss. State lost to Miami by 26 points, team got off to a slow start in the first half, played better in the second. The defense, including effort, was a major issue in the game, though, Coach Howland appears to already have the team playing much more effectively on that end. Look for Coach Howland to continue improving the defense, and have the team prime for run come SEC play. Also, the team is expecting to get 6-10 freshman Aric Holman practicing next month. He's a very talented power forward, stretch 4 type player out of Owensboro Kentucky. Very good shot blocker, rim protector aswell. He was originally set to sign with Louisville and it's class of 2016, but reclassified back to the class of 2015, and signed with Miss. State.

GR8NESS
11-24-2015, 08:08 PM
LSU loses to both NC State and Marquette. NCST was smashed at home by William and Mary, both are mediocre at best.

THE SEC IS SOOOO GOOD YOU GUISE

GatorMan32
11-24-2015, 08:39 PM

The last time an SEC team made the final four besides UF/UK was that 2006 LSU team. To have 4 SEC programs in the final four, you have to go back to 1996 MSU!! That's awful..I actually laughed at the idea only UK has made a real effort in basketball. Foley and UF have made a strong investment for 2 decades now. Facilities, money. They have invested. Even after Billy left, the program is going forward with huge renovations on the O Dome. Maybe more have not consistently done it but I'd say Arkansas invests the results just have not come. I was not arguing the SEC needing to be more consistent in a positive way. You are spot on and I actually agree. It is frustrating this has to be asked constantly. Schools are investing in quality coaches. No idea why its not translating.

GR8NESS
11-24-2015, 08:42 PM
It's not that the schools don't care - I agree the ADs are making the efforts. Auburn's new arena, new OM arena. Bruce Pearl, Avery Johnson (it's a weird AF hire but a big name), Howland.

It's the fan bases who don't care. Turn on any random SEC game and it'll have a worse atmospher than your average Indiana or Kentucky high school game. That's the biggest issue.

GR8NESS
11-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Alabama did make an elite eight in that time frame and upset #1 seed Syracuse and was also ranked #1 in the AP poll at one point, but we are horrible now. Like worst in the conference bad.

Vandy also had Matt Freije in that time frame. That's definitely the best SECBB I can remember. The Shan Foster teams were good but always sh*t the bed in March for whatever reason.

GatorMan32
11-24-2015, 09:01 PM
I won't lie. It bothers me about Gator fans. We've had some great teams and we'll have really good crowds but then there will its just awful. Unfortunately I don't get to games like I'd like to. Life gets in the way of driving in for games like I'd like to.

GR8NESS
11-24-2015, 09:18 PM
I won't lie. It bothers me about Gator fans. We've had some great teams and we'll have really good crowds but then there will its just awful. Unfortunately I don't get to games like I'd like to. Life gets in the way of driving in for games like I'd like to.

Heck I don't blame you a bit. I live in Lexington and I didn't go to our football game against Charlotte with free tickets. I fell asleep at 8:30. Getting old is hell... LOL.. Especially this time of year

GatorMan32
11-24-2015, 09:47 PM
LOL That isn't so much my issue. On week nights its 4+ hour round trip and I have to be up after 6 LOL Plus by the time I get out of work, I would be late when I got there.

GR8NESS
12-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Kentucky smashed by a 4-3 UCLA team who lost to Monmouth.

SEC SOOOOO GOOOD GUISE

GoDores
12-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Not a good loss for Kentucky there.

I get the transitive property doesn't always apply to sports but it can be interesting.

Vandy 86 - Wake Forest 64
Wake Forest 80 - UCLA 77
UCLA 87 - Kentucky 77

SCgamecock2988
12-04-2015, 07:14 AM
We're the last undefeated team in the SEC. WOOO!!!

BigBamaFan
12-09-2015, 11:30 PM
I like the direction of the Bama program so far. Avery is ahead of what i belived he would do and he has a very good recru7ting class lined up

GoDores
12-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Vandy is going to be down for a while now. Luke Kornet is out with an MCL for the next 6 weeks.

Kornet might not have been THE best player on the team, but he was definitely one of them and by far our biggest advantage for offensive mismatches. But we might miss him the most as our rim protector. He was blocking everything he saw down low. Dayton obviously took advantage of his absence last night.

It unfortunately looks like it will be February before Vandy gets going again with their full starting 5.

Dawgilicious
12-10-2015, 04:33 PM
I mean UK losing to UCLA isn't really a bad mark. Road game vs a UCLA team that remembers getting embarassed last year. They were motivated and teams play different in every game so its hard to say. If UK loses a game, doesn't mean the league is down

GR8NESS
12-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Vandy loses to Dayton at home.

I mean, do I even need to make the sarcastic comment anymore?

The SEC is still sh-tty.

MKfromPA
12-12-2015, 10:10 PM
A&M scores a decent home win over Kansas State. The Wildcats were 7-1 entering the game. TAMU improves to 8-2. I call it a "good" win for the SEC.

GR8NESS
12-19-2015, 04:57 PM
UK getting murked by 5-5 OSU

Case, rested.

Storm
12-22-2015, 12:05 AM
that was embarrassing. osu sucks this year.

Herchel
12-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Where is Kentubby?

Dawgilicious
12-22-2015, 02:03 PM
So they lose a game and the conference is garbage now? Geez, some UK fans are real panty wastes. Yes, OSU has struggled, but they obviously have talent and they finally played to a gameplan for 40 minutes. UK struggles to make outside shots and looked very disinterested in that game. It is easy to see the conference is better from top to bottom this year so far. But unless every team is undefeated, people will bitch and complain that the conference is down.

Bama_Man
12-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Vandy also had Matt Freije in that time frame. That's definitely the best SECBB I can remember. The Shan Foster teams were good but always sh*t the bed in March for whatever reason.

Vandy f*cked me every year in my bracket for like five years. They would play pretty well during regular season, have a great SEC tourney and look like a legit threat, and not make it out of the first weekend. I thought the 2008 team had a legit shot at making a Final Four, but just played horribly in the tourney.

But I think the SEC is better than the national perspective, which views us as a huge laughing stock outside of UK any more. In the last decade or so, four different SEC teams have been ranked number one in the AP poll and two schools won national titles. UT had a great run of success with Pearl, Arkansas has been relevant at different times, LSU always manages to have some elite talent but cant coach for sh*t [Ben Simmons is freaking awesome, he is the best player in the nation even without a jump shot, theres no way his team should be that bad], Auburn will be better under Pearl, MSU now has a proven top shelf coach, Avery Johnson has legit experience and credibility, and theres always gonna be UK because UK fans care. Like you said, no other SEC school consistently cares. UT used to be a good atmosphere under Pearl but no one shows up at Thompson Bolling any more, Bama would draw decently under Gottfried but unless they are good first, the crowd does not show up.

iowacat
12-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Well we about 10 or so games into the season and even though there has been some head scratching losses by a few teams I think the SEC is heading in the right direction by improving across the board. I think with the coaching changes the last few years has helped a great deal. I have always thought the real weakness in the SEC is the level of coaches have been subpar. Not now that we have seen a lot of changes. The fans will come if the coach puts a good team on the floor. Here to hoping we see 6 teams in the NCAA tourney this year.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Go Cats

kentubbybasketball
12-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Where is Kentubby?

Stay classy, H. Lol Maybe I should stay gone. With X gone and NC, MK, and 4life posting sparingly I've kinda fallen off a bit but I'm still watching the games. TAMU is as good as I said they'd be. I'm not sure what's up with Vandy. They can get you down and just give up the lead. LSU might be ready to take off with Victor And Hornsby playing now. Canty and Moody can take and make difficult shots. It's a good league.

MKfromPA
12-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Tough loss for LSU against Wake Forest. I don't think the Deacs are for real this year. LSU has been a little difficult to figure out.

Herchel
12-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Tough loss for LSU against Wake Forest. I don't think the Deacs are for real this year. LSU has been a little difficult to figure out.

JMO, Jones is a much better recruiter than coach.

GR8NESS
01-01-2016, 03:30 PM
JMO, Jones is a much better recruiter than coach.

Don't go too far out on that limb. It might break.

Herchel
01-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Don't go too far out on that limb. It might break.
You tell me. Compare his recruiting rankings to his results.

kentubbybasketball
01-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Should Jones apologize for being a great recruiter???? People suggest the same about Cal, granted it's on a different level but since when does excelling at one part of your job bad. Hopefully, Jones will get better with Xs and Os. It's the same thing that dogged his mentor Dale Brown. At North Texas Jones had it figured out IMO.

Herchel
01-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Should Jones apologize for being a great recruiter???? People suggest the same about Cal, granted it's on a different level but since when does excelling at one part of your job bad. Hopefully, Jones will get better with Xs and Os. It's the same thing that dogged his mentor Dale Brown. At North Texas Jones had it figured out IMO.
I didn't say he should apologize for being a great recruiter. I wish Fox could recruit like that. He had the 5th ranked class in 2013, and the 4th ranked class in 2015. Yet, he is 29-25 in the SEC, and 4-4 this year.

kentubbybasketball
01-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Fair enough but people are constantly saying Jones can't coach. I used to say it to. That is stupid tho. I will never say that about any SEC coach ever again. You don't get to this level and not be able to coach. That's like saying Ben Simmons can't play, because his record is barely over .500. There's more factors in place.

GR8NESS
03-13-2016, 08:30 PM
3 teams dancing - a 3, 4, and 11.

SEC
So
Good
Guise

iowacat
03-16-2016, 11:09 PM
3 teams in the tourny from the SEC is another sad year for the SEC. Vandy in the play in game gets blown out by 20 and now it leaves 2. A newcomer to the league and the team that carries the SEC banner. BTW KT, Jones is an awful coach. He is out of his league even in this one.

Let hope that aTM and KY makes us proud.

Fair enough but people are constantly saying Jones can't coach. I used to say it to. That is stupid tho. I will never say that about any SEC coach ever again. You don't get to this level and not be able to coach. That's like saying Ben Simmons can't play, because his record is barely over .500. There's more factors in place.

MKfromPA
03-17-2016, 12:09 AM
3 teams in the tourny from the SEC is another sad year for the SEC. Vandy in the play in game gets blown out by 20 and now it leaves 2. A newcomer to the league and the team that carries the SEC banner. BTW KT, Jones is an awful coach. He is out of his league even in this one.

Let hope that aTM and KY makes us proud.

Continues to show adding TAMU was an excellent decision for SEC athletics.

iowacat
03-17-2016, 05:50 AM
I agree with for right now but we will see how it works out in the long run with TAMU. I hope they can keep it up but they will be losing a lot of their starters this year. We will see how long it takes for them to recover from it.

Continues to show adding TAMU was an excellent decision for SEC athletics.

MKfromPA
03-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I agree with for right now but we will see how it works out in the long run with TAMU. I hope they can keep it up but they will be losing a lot of their starters this year. We will see how long it takes for them to recover from it.

How about that comeback thriller against Northern Iowa on Sunday night? What a win for the Aggies & the SEC!!

GR8NESS
03-25-2016, 12:54 AM
0 teams in the Elite 8
1 team in the sweet 16, via a miracle comeback against an 11 seed mid major.
0 teams out performed their seed.

My case: rested.

The SEC is a garbage basketball conference, and you'll do well to bet against everyone not named UK when it matters now that Donovan is gone in almost every year.

joehogjoe
03-25-2016, 12:35 PM
We will be better next year. Hogs will have a huge upgrade. Florida will be way better. UK will have a great influx of young talent. Lsu will be better without the "great talent" and even greater distraction. I can only image Barnes' 2nd Tennessee team will be improved. Hopefully aubie will suck and get rid of their sleaze coach.

Dawg4life
03-25-2016, 12:37 PM
There was only really two good teams this season in the SEC in basketball and then there was about 8-9 okay/average teams. If Kentucky had just one consistent offensive presence in the low post, they're still playing in the NCAAT imo.

joehogjoe
03-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Will Georgia be upgrading their talent?

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Just because we didnt have teams in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 doesnt mean its a garbage league. Hell the Big 12 was prob the best league all season and they only put one team in the Sweet 16. Does that mean they are terrible too?

Look at all the teams rebuilding in our league. Not everybody can pull a UK where it is green very fast

MSU, UT, AU, Missouri are all rebuilding

SC is still in that mode and haven't reached what they want

Arkansas took a step back this year

UGA,SC, and UF were right there for a spot

Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU were in the middle of the pack

Look at how many teams were able to go on the road and beat good teams, that shows the league is getting better. People get so infatuated with numbers, but you have to watch the league night in and night out to give a quality assessment.

Dawg4life
03-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Will Georgia be upgrading their talent?

Georgia will add two top 100 prospects next season but it's a question if whether they'll even play. The starting lineup should be very good like this season but if not managed right the bench may kill them again.

GatorMan32
03-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I disagree. Florida won't be way better under White next year. None of the factors I would go by encourage me. I hope I am wrong but doubt it.

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
I disagree. Florida won't be way better under White next year. None of the factors I would go by encourage me. I hope I am wrong but doubt it.

I am beginning to think you do not like this hire at all....lol

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2016, 03:00 PM
The SEC is going to be lacking in the big man department next year. It's Tyler Davis and who else as far as returnees?

I actually think Bama will be good. They can go two deep at each position: TAMU has a nice starting five for next year with a 4 star PG, Gilder, Hogg, TTM, and Davis. USC's offense may open up some with the seniors being gone, and that might be a top 10 backcourt nationally, but who plays alongside Silva inside. Does Frank Martin even return if UNLV offers?

Dawgilicious
03-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Yante maten!!!!!!!!!!!

joehogjoe
03-25-2016, 05:15 PM
I disagree. Florida won't be way better under White next year. None of the factors I would go by encourage me. I hope I am wrong but doubt it.I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Maten and Kingsley should both return, both were top 10 scorers in the SEC, top 6 rebounders, and top 4 shot blockers, both much better than the aggies Davis.
and the big kid from Vandy too, the SEC's leading shotblocker

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Yante maten!!!!!!!!!!!

Well yeah and Egbunu isn't bad either, but I just wonder about the bigs overall next year. My point tho is that Kornet, Kingsley, Egbunu and those types didn't really raise their teams this year. Sure they'll all be good next year, but every team in D-1 has a good player. Are those guys someone to take you to a final four though? IMO, Tyler Davis has that potential with a pair of tissue soft hands, physicality, an offensive rebounding talent that is undeniable, and plenty other gifts. He might be the one player in the SEC on another team that I would take at UK.

Speaking of UK, I think Adebayo is a big guy that could come in and be the #1 draft pick next year, best big in the league kinda player.

joehogjoe
03-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Kingsley brought the team up from what would have been a very bad losing season to break even. We were often awful, sometimes okay, every now and then good. But Kingsley was consistent. Kingsley had the SEC most double doubles after Ben. And Moses led the league in Offensive rebounding.

Bama_Man
03-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Bama should be good next year, even losing Retin we return mostly everyone else and AJ will likely land 2-3 quality recruits.

The Big 10 has one team left playing, Wisconsin, and they likely lose today. Was the B10 garbage? They only had one Sweet 16 team.

But Dawg misspoke, the B12 had three Sweet 16 teams (KU, OU, ISU) and two Elite 8 teams already.