New season, new rules......thoughts? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : New season, new rules......thoughts?

Storm
11-18-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm torn from what I've seen so far in regards to some changes this year. They reduced time outs, reduced the shot clock, and changed the way TV timeouts are done in order to speed up the game. But they are also calling the game so tight it's ridiculous. You're going to have to go almost 10 deep on your bench with guys in foul trouble. And the speed of the game is negated with all the foul calls.

Just a few thoughts from the first game or two. Anyone else notice anything different?

Just Some Hog Dude
11-18-2015, 08:35 AM
It's still football season.

Storm
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Then stay in the football forum. derp

msudawg4life
11-18-2015, 10:55 AM
When you speed the game up players do tend to be more wreckless with the ball and their body. An increase in fouls would tend to make sense. But as I remember from previous years, officials always start off the year calling games pretty tight. Guess we will just have to wait and see if this is a trend that continues or drops off. I do like the lower shot clock...needed to happen. Just like college football needs to go to a two feet down policy just like the NFL.

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Too much fouling is going to prevent defense. Look at the Auburn Colorado game. For a time there guys were just driving to the rim unimpeded becuase nobody wanted to foul. This is what coaches wanted.

GR8NESS
11-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Enjoying it. Unlike 2013-14 whenever they "enforced the rules more strictly" the fouls they're calling aren't pointless off the ball fouls nearly as much that really disrupt the flow.

Also noticed that pretty much every block/charge is a block, which I've been screaming about for years.

AlienBeans
11-20-2015, 07:12 PM
When you speed the game up players do tend to be more wreckless with the ball and their body. An increase in fouls would tend to make sense. But as I remember from previous years, officials always start off the year calling games pretty tight. Guess we will just have to wait and see if this is a trend that continues or drops off. I do like the lower shot clock...needed to happen. I totally disagree. It didn't need to happen. It's not a rule change that is very drastic but it definitely wasn't NEEDED. Just like college football needs to go to a two feet down policy just like the NFL. NO. Not only NO but HELL NO. They've allowed enough rules to filter down from the NFL and none of them improved the game. This wouldn't either. They definitely need to leave this alone

I don't mind many of the rule changes. Nobody is ever going to be happy with the officiating in any sport. It's the nature of the beast. Every foul or penalty that goes against your team is a bs call from a fans perspective. Too many whistles in basketball affects the flow of the game way too much. They definitely need to call the unnecessary stuff away from the ball like they are doing so far.

I do find it pretty comical that announcers (and fans too) mention the change in the block/charge rule when NOTHING has changed. The rule is exactly how its been for decades. The defensive player has to establish a legal guarding position AND CAN MOVE to maintain that position. The defender has ALWAYS had to establish that guarding position prior to an offensive player leaving the floor for a shot (or pass). If he didn't/doesn't its a blocking foul. There is NOTHING ANYWHERE IN THE BOOK that says the defensive player has to be "set" to draw a charge. He can be moving to maintain a legal guarding position. A legal guarding position is the ONLY thing required to draw a charge.