MSU vs. Eastern Washington [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : MSU vs. Eastern Washington

NCMISSSTFAN
11-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Game is tonight at 8:00, Eastern Washington will be a tough out....they finished with a 26-9, also beat Indiana and made the tourney. Malik Newman is still recovering from turf toe and is expected to play limited minutes tonight. This will be a good 1st test for our guys.

msudawg4life
11-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Very very impressed with this team thus far. not used to seeing a MSU team play like this...especially the past few years. eastern Washington is no cupcake...Weatherspoon has been impressive.

msudawg4life
11-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Ready and Ware both with 20+ nights as well.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-15-2015, 09:14 AM
If Newman is better than Weatherspoon watch out. He still made a few Freshman mistakes but he isn't afraid of the big stage at all. He plays like a veteran

kentubbybasketball
11-15-2015, 02:02 PM
NC, I'm not sure anybody on MSU's team can defend to a level that Howland is used to. To me that could be an issue, unless y'all are prepared to score in the 80s everyday. lol

NCMISSSTFAN
11-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Howland has praised Fred Thomas and Travis Daniels on there defensive activity, but overall your probably right, Howland expects his guys to play defense at a high level. I know we gave up 88 points to Eastern Washington but they were top 5 in the nation in scoring last year. They scored on everyone.

msudawg4life
11-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Good win to start off the year....considering we didn't even have our "best" from what we have been told player on the floor. It was a run and gun type game....games of those type will be high scoring..especially early in the year before teams really start to mold as a Defensive unit. I will be interested to see his teams once he has a roster full of players he recruited and brings in.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-16-2015, 12:14 PM
We play Southern tonight, hopefully we get a chance to see Newman. Newman may have some pressure on him now, especially considering how good Weatherspoon has looked, I hope he lets the game come to him and doesn't try to over do it. We head to Puerto Rico after tonights game and play Miami in the first round of the tip off there.

Wave&Dawgs
11-16-2015, 09:36 PM
We are playing like total ass against Southern right now. Newman trying to do way too much and is struggling big time. This would be an absolutely brutal loss. You can't lose a home game to a SWAC team if you want to fancy yourself a tournament contender.

Wave&Dawgs
11-16-2015, 09:55 PM
What an absolutely embarrassing loss. We did nothing all game but just jack up threes and didn't even try to attack the rim or score in the post. And we turned it over 19 times. Craptastic effort on defense as well. They were scoring easily all game.

Wave&Dawgs
11-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Malik Newman with 6 points, 4 turnovers, and 1-6 from the free throw line. Didn't look at all like a guy who will be in the NBA next year. I'm sure it was rust from being out the last few weeks with a foot injuries, but damn he was bad tonight.

I am legitimately pissed off right now. I get that there will be growing pains early with a new coach and all, but we have tons of senior leadership and were playing at home against freaking Southern. You can not lose that game. I was fooled into thinking this could be an NCAA tournament team. Not with a loss like this on our resume.

Dawgilicious
11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah that loss will hurt come March

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 04:21 AM
What an absolutely embarrassing loss. We did nothing all game but just jack up threes and didn't even try to attack the rim or score in the post. And we turned it over 19 times. Craptastic effort on defense as well. They were scoring easily all game.
It was the same thing vs EWU. Gavin Ware just bailed you guys out. MSU doesn't take good let alone great shots and the defense s even worse imo. Miami is good so the team has to improve fast.

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 07:57 AM
EWU is a decent team at least. And we were actually feeding Ware in that game. We just did nothing but jack up threes all night and it was tough to watch. I'm not saying I expected them to be great early, but I just can't believe they laid THAT big of an egg.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Bad loss and Malik looked like a Freshman, but the season isn't over

msudawg4life
11-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Bad loss...they played worse WITH Newman in the lineup. But it's early in the year and plenty of time to work on things.

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 11:56 AM
NC and 4life, I think you guys are right to be positive. End of the day, your problem is defense as I said after Friday's game and I'd rather have defensive issues than offensive. They're easier to correct. If you don't have scoring ability, you just don't have it.

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm not saying our season is over, but that is going to be a BAD looking loss on our resume if we are sitting on the bubble come tourney time. And we don't exactly play a whole lot of big time opponents in our OOC to make up for it. Hopefully Southern winds up winning the SWAC so this loss doesn't look as bad.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Agreed KT, I'm concerned but not worried just yet. Its just way too early in the season to be worried about a loss like that. This team is still learning each other, Newman hadn't played at all. There's a learning curve still.

msudawg4life
11-18-2015, 11:00 AM
After all, this is a team that is expected to hopefully make the tourney...but not really make any type of run as of yet. As fans of a program that has started to generate more excitement again a loss like this does kinda knock the wind out of you a little. There will be plenty of oppertunities to produce some big wins that will overshadow this loss. Just like in football...a loss early in the year is recoverable from...something like this towards the middle of the year though would be terrible.

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 03:10 PM
I don't see how people would think this team was an NCAAT even before that loss. Only 68 teams make it, and I just saw too many holes in the roster.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-18-2015, 03:45 PM
I think we have a shot a post season play this year to be honest. More then likely NIT though. However, next year should be the year because Weatherspoon will be a year older, IJ will be a Senior, Holman will be healthy and we bring in that really good class.

msudawg4life
11-18-2015, 04:23 PM
I think most ppl even before howland arrive had this msu team as one who had a shot at making the dance, but being an NIT team for sure. But since the arrival of Howland that has moved more toward more hope of making the dance. I myself am not ready to say really one way or another...I prefer to see how team is going to gel in the 1st month or so.

Alot of times when I post, I post based on what the ppl around where I live say and what they are talking about.

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Oh okay. I thought yall meant ncaat. I get like that was a bit ambitious.

Wave&Dawgs
11-18-2015, 08:57 PM
I think a team with a top 5 player and a coach who has been to multiple final fours should at the very least be contending for a tourney spot. They definitely shouldn't be losing home games to SWAC teams. Hell I'm not even that mad at Newman for that game after having a few days to cool off. I'm more disappointed that our senior core of Ware, Sword, and Thomas let that happen.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-18-2015, 10:20 PM
It's just way too early in the season to get overly upset about a loss. They new guys are still gelling with the veterans... I'm confident we will be pretty competitive through the season...only time will tell how that translates to wins or losses.

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 10:36 PM
NC, with a team of yall makeup (young talent and old talent not used to winning), there will be clunkers at times. I honestly think once the F improves it will cure a lot of your problems.

Wave&Dawgs
11-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Tubby, I find it quite funny how you are always sure to address your posts to NC or 4life when I'm in the thread just so I am absolutely sure that you are not addressing your thoughts toward me. Don't worry man, I'm quite well aware that you aren't interested in conversing with me unless you're deciding out of the blue to call me a racist.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Agreed KT, we play a pretty good Miami team today. I'm hoping the guys show up, this is a big game on ESPN for Newman, he needs to have a better game. Waves how do you see the season panning out?

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Wave, you told me to ignore, so don't get mad when I act like you're invisible here. I'm here to talk hoops. You're not so we have nothing to say to each other. Furthermore, NC and 4life are true friends outside of all the basketball talk. We actually talk about non basketball stuff and have a good rapport. I choose to invest time in those friendships. Sorry that you're offended. When you're able to come at me with respect then we can talk about hoops. Until then, there's no point.

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Agreed KT, we play a pretty good Miami team today. I'm hoping the guys show up, this is a big game on ESPN for Newman, he needs to have a better game. Waves how do you see the season panning out?

MSU's strength is offense. Miami can score too if need be so it'll be interesting to see what happens, bro.

Wave&Dawgs
11-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Wave, you told me to ignore, so don't get mad when I act like you're invisible here. I'm here to talk hoops. You're not so we have nothing to say to each other. Furthermore, NC and 4life are true friends outside of all the basketball talk. We actually talk about non basketball stuff and have a good rapport. I choose to invest time in those friendships. Sorry that you're offended. When you're able to come at me with respect then we can talk about hoops. Until then, there's no point.

Yeah, because I'm totally going to come at someone with respect who calls me a racist every chance he gets. You are a real piece of work tubby. Stop lying about our conversation we had a few months ago and I will lay off of you. Otherwise I'm going to continue calling you out for the fraud that you are.

Wave&Dawgs
11-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Just got home from work and am only seeing the score but holy **** Miami is kicking our ass. 59-35 at the half. Looks like the defense still has a ways to go. Miami was probably our real big shot for a resume win in the OOC so this is disappointing.

kentubbybasketball
11-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Wave, at this point whatever. You came at me first saying I turn everything into an argument when somebody suggested we were basically recruiting internationally. I hadn't said anything to you in months. I've already stated what it's going to take for us to interact here. I'm not going to deal with people here that are rude, petty, and insulting. There's enough people to talk to here that can carry on intelligent basketball conversation, so I will continue to talk to those people. When you're ready to apologize I'll be all ears. I never called you racist BTW... that's what you called/insinuated I was. So, it's all good. However, I apologize for whatever has you so bent out of shape. I don't think you're racist, and I don't think you should imply to other people that I am one either and then not own up to it when I confront you.

Like I said, the ball is in your court. I'm sure you're a good person. I wish you could squash this immature feud, because I'm done with it. I like you either way. Now, that said, I'm not going to just discuss hoops with you when you're berating me. I'm going to let you have the last word on that and you can PM me if you realize this is ridiculous, otherwise, I'm not going to subject myself to you and your insults. I'm not sure why you think anybody would.

CentralMSDawg
11-19-2015, 06:49 PM
I thought MSU had an outside shot of the NCAAT this year. Then the loss to Southern happened and I thought okay just need more time to build some chemistry. Then this game happens today and we are getting run out of the gym. I really thought the leadership from the three seniors and the talent of the freshman would be paying more dividends. I know it's still a long season, but the expectations now have to be finding a way into the NIT. I'm still pumped about the future of the program, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Wave&Dawgs
11-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Yeah this is def not looking like a tourney team. Our OOC sched is just too weak to build a good enough resume to get in IMO. We'll have to either dominate in SEC play or win the SECT to make it in this year I think.

Wave&Dawgs
11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
F*ck me. We just really threw away a winnable game there. Too many stupid mistakes down the stretch. So frustrating that we are 1-3 right now.

Djshockley3
11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Just lost to Texas Tech.

Wave&Dawgs
11-20-2015, 07:04 PM
I guess I need to reset my expectations for this team. It's just frustrating that it's looking more and more like our one year with Newman is going to end in a NIT berth at best unless we really start turning things around. I really thought he mixed with all the seniors we have could have made for a special team. Just not seeing it though.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Best coach in the country strikes again. Cal and Tubby! Tubby and Cal.

I'm not sure why the feeling ever was that MSU was an NCAAT team. Howland was strugglimg to get better UCLA rosters in.

Wave&Dawgs
11-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Fans always have high hopes/expectations for their own teams. There probably isn't a fan base in the country who wouldn't have had NCAAT hopes/expectations if their team brought in a top 5 recruit (along with a couple of 4* players) along with a coach who had been to multiple final fours. Could it wind up being an unrealistic expectation? Possibly, but it's just the nature of being a sports fan.

I will say though, it's nice to be (hopefully) back at a level where losses "hurt" again. These past few years, we were so bad that I really didn't even care when we lost. It was just the expected result and I was satisfied with the wins we were able to to get. Now wins are expected and the losses hurt all the more. Definitely the position I'd rather my program be in.

CentralMSDawg
11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Just give it time and the NCAAT teams will come. We just have to reset our expectations for a year. Newman will hopefully get it together and Q. Weatherspoon will get better. We also have another four star in Aric Holman that hasn't even played yet. The NIT is very possible this year if the three seniors can consistently contribute and mesh with the freshman. Then next we have nothing but four or five star players coming in and possibly another year with Newman. It just sucks that things aren't going to happen this year like most State fans thought.

Wave&Dawgs
11-22-2015, 02:00 PM
WAY better game by MSU today. Only got to watch the first half, but this is looking more like the team I expected to see. Nice to get at least one win out of this trip.

msudawg4life
11-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Best coach in the country strikes again. Cal and Tubby! Tubby and Cal.

I'm not sure why the feeling ever was that MSU was an NCAAT team. Howland was strugglimg to get better UCLA rosters in.

Lol...Ktub...As soon as I turned on that TT game I thought of you because I realized your all time coaching idol was there coaching. I thought we had a chance for awhile...but that HOF coach pulled some strings and made some def adjustments...called a few plays......I put that W completely on Tubby Smith....what a coaching wiz...lol...ok in all honestly though I think MSU could of won that game but Tubby threw that press on and changed the game.

leland5
11-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Team has much potential, will need to continue making progress defensively, continue getting the freshmen experience, ect.

Also, expected to get Aric Holman back practicing next month, Demetrius Houston's and Joseph Strugg's statuses are yet to be announced.

kentubbybasketball
11-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Lol...Ktub...As soon as I turned on that TT game I thought of you because I realized your all time coaching idol was there coaching. I thought we had a chance for awhile...but that HOF coach pulled some strings and made some def adjustments...called a few plays......I put that W completely on Tubby Smith....what a coaching wiz...lol...ok in all honestly though I think MSU could of won that game but Tubby threw that press on and changed the game.

Yeah, Tubby is something else! Plus we beat Minnesota. It was a great week for us. The country needs to watch out for Zach Smith. He's as athletic as it gets. Plus, Devaugntah Williams has really added some patience to his game instead of just hoisting threes. The second yr for a JUCO is typically the beat!

Wave&Dawgs
12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Got to go to the Tulane-MSU game tonight. Battle of the Wave&Dawgs! Other than a very sloppy start to the second half, pretty good game from MSU. Newman is improving game by game and we got a really gutty effort out of Ware who was not even supposed to play. That's a game that very easily could have gotten away from us in the second half and they toughed it out and got a big W.