UK Fans-Legit question/debate: [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UK Fans-Legit question/debate:

Dawgilicious
11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
What is the realistic goals/outlook for the season?

Like, where do you expect this team to be in March....Looking for an honest, good conversation here (no trolling or bashing from me)

kentubbybasketball
11-12-2015, 02:52 PM
We expect to get better each day. Are we the #2 team in the country right now, nope. But, is that where we expect to be in March... definitely.

I'll tell you this, defensively, the past few years we've had guys that could defend the rim unlike any other (Davis, WCS, KAT, Noel). This year Skal, Lee, and Poy can. However, our guards won't be able to let up on D and expect a big to cover them on the backline. I think defensive rotations have been an issue so far this season. When we get that squared away we should be fine. Offensively, I think this team is as closely aligned to Cal as any of our other 6 teams have been. The dribble drive is amazing. We will have at least 3 guys who can carry the ball at any point, so if one guy's penetration is broken off, another can take it and go. I think in the past we've won most games 75-70... this year, we'll win with offense more maybe so more like 85 to 80. When the defense catches up, watch out.

The idea of adding another big in December is enticing as well. With or without Tai Wynyard though, I expect us to win the SEC again. I don't think we'll have the moxie to go undefeated like last year. Last year, we should have lost to Ole Miss, TAMU, @ Georgia, and LSU. We had the moxie and talent to win out in those games. This year, I don't think the margin for error is as extreme.

I will never say I expect a national championship, but I do expect us to be one of the chief contenders.

GoDores
11-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Cal going with a real international flare this season.

kentubbybasketball
11-12-2015, 04:46 PM
People have said that, but it's really not any different than when we had Kyle Wiltjer (Canada), Trey Lyles (Canada), KAT (DR), Kanter (Turkey), Eloy Vargas (DR), etc. Personally, I don't care if you're white or black, Canadian, or not. Are you going to contribute to the university or not? I'm not sure what the innuendo is about that, but Cal's been asked about it and plenty of people have said stuff, and it's like is this some kind of Adolph Rupp racism thing or what?

Where's the talk with LSU recruiting all these Australians for this year's team and the one for 2017?

msudawg4life
11-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Nothing wrong with International flare...it works for the Spurs.

GoDores
11-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Not saying anything's wrong with it. Vandy has had its share of international players. Just seems like a tendency switch for Cal to go after straight overseas guys recently.

kentubbybasketball
11-13-2015, 02:55 PM
That's not been a concerted effort though. When the dust settled thsee are the guys we ended up with. All of them save for the Canadians were in the USA already.

GoDores
11-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I just took a quick stroll through Kentucky's schedule and knowing what we think we know now (which isn't much), I picked 8 potential loss games. So I guess I've got UK at 23-8 worst case scenario, about 4-5 of those were conference. Sound about right for worst case scenario?

kentubbybasketball
11-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Who knows. I haven't even looked at our schedule on a game by game basis. We could lose tonight for all we know. Seriously.

Storm
11-14-2015, 12:37 AM
Who knows. I haven't even looked at our schedule on a game by game basis. We could lose tonight for all we know. Seriously.

Wisconsin called. They said losing to an inferior opponent on opening night is pretty easy to do.

Bama_Man
11-14-2015, 02:15 AM
I think theres a HUGE drop off between the best in the SEC (UK, Vandy, LSU) and the rest.

Auburn should be better, but not a contender. TAMU recently picked up a good baller originally committed to Bama. But I don't see any other SEC team sans UK as a legit Final Four threat.

I expect UK to be a top 5-6 team and be in the hunt in the end. I think UK, Maryland, UNC (although slightly overrated), Duke, and possibly UVA/Nova/Gonzaga are potential elite teams.

kentubbybasketball
11-14-2015, 03:29 AM
Gonzaga better be glad their game was called. They shold have done better vs Pitt in the first half.

GR8NESS
11-16-2015, 11:19 PM
I just took a quick stroll through Kentucky's schedule and knowing what we think we know now (which isn't much), I picked 8 potential loss games. So I guess I've got UK at 23-8 worst case scenario, about 4-5 of those were conference. Sound about right for worst case scenario?

Duke
@UCLA
Ohio State
@Kansas
@VU
@LSU
VU
LSU
@A&M

Off the top of my head. Any road conference game could be a potential loss but realistically I think you're pretty much right with the worst case. OTOH, best case is probably 3? @KU, Duke, split VU/LSU

SkyAntoine
11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
7 losses. National Championship.
This team does what last year's could not finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 04:31 AM
7 losses. National Championship.
This team does what last year's could not finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky, wouldn't it be strange if this is the team that wins a title given the position our last two teams , we're in at the outset of the final four?

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 08:04 AM
People have said that, but it's really not any different than when we had Kyle Wiltjer (Canada), Trey Lyles (Canada), KAT (DR), Kanter (Turkey), Eloy Vargas (DR), etc. Personally, I don't care if you're white or black, Canadian, or not. Are you going to contribute to the university or not? I'm not sure what the innuendo is about that, but Cal's been asked about it and plenty of people have said stuff, and it's like is this some kind of Adolph Rupp racism thing or what?

Where's the talk with LSU recruiting all these Australians for this year's team and the one for 2017?

Tubby, your talent for turning literally any post into an argument is just flat out impressive. I'm convinced you would argue with someone who told you the sky was blue.

xAuBuRn
11-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Tubby, your talent for turning literally any post into an argument is just flat out impressive. I'm convinced you would argue with someone who told you the sky was blue.

Lulz.

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Funny because I'm not arguing with you. Lol. You must want relevance around here.

Your comment is interestin tho considering you tried to frame me as a racist last year. Say whatever you want about me but I'm happy that I'm not that insensitive and cruel. Stay classy.

SkyAntoine
11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Sky, wouldn't it be strange if this is the team that wins a title given the position our last two teams , we're in at the outset of the final four?
I freely admit I'm one of the most irrational fans out there. I proudly dust off my 40-0 t-shirt (that I actually own) every year.

IF...Skal is as good as I think he can be and we can get solid production from Alex this season, then I really do think we can win it all.
As good as I thought the twins were...I'll take Ullis, Murray and Briscoe.
I think Skal is as good offensively as Anthony Davis was (in college) defensively. Defensively we may give up too much when we face real competition.
Murray is better than anyone we've had since Davis.
Depth-wise I would love to see us run other teams in the ground. We may not platoon, but we can go 10 deep with solid back up minutes.
The kids seem like a good bunch and Cal seems fat and happy.

It's going to be a good year.

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Your comment is interestin tho considering you tried to frame me as a racist last year. Say whatever you want about me but I'm happy that I'm not that insensitive and cruel. Stay classy.

Still spinning this lie huh? I guess whatever makes you feel better about yourself. It's a little weird how defensive you are about being called a racist when I have never even implied anything of the sort. It sounds like you have some personal stuff to work out.

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Wave, I have the comments from other posters to prove it, in addition to you crying to the admins and moderators here when I caught wind of it.

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 08:41 PM
You don't have jack **** for proof because it didn't happen. I went to the mods because I don't appreciate being lied about and called about the racist. Unfortunately the mods on this board don't give a **** about falsified claims/personal attacks so here we are.

The only person who has ever said a word about racism on here is you. It's kinda sad that you have to make things up about me to validate yourself.

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Wave, it is what it is. You implied I thought Ray got a raw deal and was mad because he's black and I like black coaches. Don't own up to it but don't say you don't like being called as a non truth teller then.

If that's not what happened, explain what did.

kentubbybasketball
11-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Wave, it is what it is. You implied I thought Ray got a raw deal and was mad because he's black and I like black coaches. Don't own up to it but don't say you don't like being called as a non truth teller then.

Wave&Dawgs
11-17-2015, 09:50 PM

I explained it to you in a PM right after it went down. You then disregarded that PM and kept going on rants calling me a racist. Don't lie and say you didn't get the PM either, because you got it and responded to it by thanking me for clearing up the comment I made. It really shows a lot about your character to respond to my PM saying you appreciated me explaining my viewpoint but then continuing to publicly call me a racist.

Since that PM conversation I have not said a single damn thing to you in regards to race, not one. And that is a 100% fact that you cannot refute. But you have, on MULTIPLE occasions, called me a racist completely out of the blue when the comment you were responding to had nothing to do with that topic. Take this thread for example.

msudawg4life
11-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Overall I think it way to early to predict the UK season....partially due to not knowing the status of Tai...due to the fact that like all Cal teams...they have alot of talent we just don't know how fast they will or won't develop. This is going to happen each year because of how Cal recruits and then sends them off to the NBA so fast. Last year like Tubby said...UK had alot of games that were close and could of really gone eaither way. Will this team have those players to step up and do the same tipping them in UK's favor???..no clue. I think that is one of the greatest things about college basketball...since it's only 5 players...depending on if you have depth....well even the right type of depth, the course of a season can really change depening on injuries. So many things can happen and who know what other stories in the SEC may develop.

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 03:00 PM
I actually think to your point, we could actually return quite a few guys next year to go with the monster class we have coming. Who on this team is going to leave for the pros. Skal? Murray? Maybe Lee? Poythress is already a senior with a degree. I don't really see anybody else.

msudawg4life
11-18-2015, 04:26 PM
All the better for UK and their fans...its always nice to get to know your players and get to see them around awhile instead of learning their name, turning around and seeing it called in the NBA draft..

kentubbybasketball
11-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Yeah, we are set up for a possibly historic year in 201. This year tho could end with a title though so I'm not getting ahead.

iowacat
11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Hey guys, can we cease with the pissing match between you two. lets enjoy this years basketball. I like to view/post on this board because we can talk about the SEC basketball. But these pissing matches between members is killing the board. Both of you raise the white flag and call a truce so we all can enjoy basketball discussions in the SEC.

I explained it to you in a PM right after it went down. You then disregarded that PM and kept going on rants calling me a racist. Don't lie and say you didn't get the PM either, because you got it and responded to it by thanking me for clearing up the comment I made. It really shows a lot about your character to respond to my PM saying you appreciated me explaining my viewpoint but then continuing to publicly call me a racist.

Since that PM conversation I have not said a single damn thing to you in regards to race, not one. And that is a 100% fact that you cannot refute. But you have, on MULTIPLE occasions, called me a racist completely out of the blue when the comment you were responding to had nothing to do with that topic. Take this thread for example.

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2015, 10:33 AM
I have no issue with Wave. I don't dislike anybody here. I have too many things going on in life to be worried about if somebody thinks I'm racist, iowacat.

Whats your opinion of UK?

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
UK should return to #1 now. With a win over Duke, I think it was already justified. Now that #1 UNC has lost, it's a forgone conclusion. Given that Kansas, UNC, and Duke have all lost, I guess you could say Maryland should get some votes, but they had to come from behind in both of their games this week (against G'Town it's understandable perhaps but against Radford?) UK might be unanimous #1. Cal has got to be one of the top 5 coaches in terms of the amount of time spent at #1 historically.

So, 4 of the top 6 lost in the first full week of the season (UVa, Duke, UNC, and KU). When has that ever happened? It's going to be a wacky year. Several teams will spend time at 1.