Miami/Duke [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Miami/Duke

Bama_Man
10-31-2015, 10:57 PM
Anyone see that crazy ending?

Duke drives down the field (gets a couple question PI calls in their favor) and scores with like six seconds left. Miami goes all Cal-Stanford and laterals the ball about 10 times and scores on the ensuing kickoff return to come back and win as time expired. One of the craziest plays youll ever see.

Dawgilicious
10-31-2015, 10:58 PM
It was def crazy

xAuBuRn
10-31-2015, 11:10 PM
Yep that was insane.

Storm
10-31-2015, 11:37 PM
Sorry, Duke got screwed on that play. I saw at least 3 blocks in the back plus a lateral by a Miami player on his knees. ACC refs are the worst.

Naval Aviator
11-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Sorry, Duke got screwed on that play. I saw at least 3 blocks in the back plus a lateral by a Miami player on his knees. ACC refs are the worst.

I think that was a quick consensus after folks had a chance to watch the film.

scgamecock312
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Any of you boys wanting to offend those clown officials?

Unbelievable. Reviewed for 9 minutes and still couldn't get it right. The knee was clearly down.

They should be fired immediately.

Bama_Man
11-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah the knee was on the ground, but a Cal player's knee was down on their crazy play too.

But the refs have to get that right, with replay. Its sad, but in reality Duke had gotten the benefit of two terrible calls against Miami to keep their drive to get the lead at the end. But the call should have been the runner down.

MKfromPA
11-01-2015, 07:29 PM

I heard today the officiating crew will be suspended for 2 games, as a result of this play. Basically on what y'all pointed out. So no surprise there, lol.

AlienBeans
11-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Officiating crew handled this entirely wrong. Horrible misuse of the replay system in that one. I did not see it live, but saw the clip on youtube including the review that took forever. They screwed this up big time. First they totally missed his knee being down on one of the backward passes. There was an official covering it and he had a pretty good angle of it. I can understand not getting it because as his body falls towards the official it can be difficult to tell if the knee touched or not. That's what replay is supposed to correct. Then the atrocious misuse of the replay system to PICK UP A FLAG? Wow. That's not anywhere in the accepted use of instant replay. The only things on this play the replay official can rule on are the following: Whether each pass was NOT FORWARD (parallel or backwards are both legal) or if a runner's knee was down at any point with possession. That's it. The replay official on this crew should be suspended for telling them to waive off that flag. That's not his job and its a horrible misuse of the replay system. The runners knee was down prior to the illegal block. The game was over once that knee went down. No penalty enforcement should have happened and no untimed down. BUT instant replay said there wasn't a knee down anywhere during the return, so based on that information it should have been 1st and 10 for Miami at their own 5-6 yard line after the penalty for the illegal block was enforced. (had they flagged the right illegal block). Since they didn't and we couldn't see a flag on the field anywhere, we don't know which block they flagged as being illegal. Therefore penalize 10 yards from the spot of the illegal block that was flagged and miami has it 1st and 10 for ONE UNTIMED DOWN. ROYAL SCREW UP by the officiating crew but mostly the replay official.

First a still pic of the backward pass that clearly shows the Miami player's knee was down before he released the ball. Not sure how that isn't conclusive. There's no way at all anybody can look at this and say he's not down. He's clearly down. MAJOR PROPS to the ACC for not sitting on this very long and handing out some discipline. That replay official should be suspended the rest of the season and he should have to plea for his job to return next year. That was HORRIBLE.
http://i68.tinypic.com/pbms1.jpg

2nd, There was an OBVIOUS block in the back on the return that wasn't flagged. It occurred on the 15 1/2 yard line. While there are some penalties that can be called by using instant replay. A block in the back is not one of them. It's also not one they can use replay to overturn when it is flagged.
http://i67.tinypic.com/dzgzs1.jpg

AlienBeans
11-01-2015, 07:58 PM

No. Only 1 and it wasn't called. The other was from the side (the one they actually flagged that was picked up). There was also one that was close at the 50 yard line but not an illegal block. It's not an illegal block in the opponent turns just short of contact.

Blocking in the Back
ARTICLE 6. A block in the back (other than against the ball carrier) is illegal
(A.R. 9-3-3-I, VII and -IX; and A.R. 10-2-2-XII).
Exceptions:
1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within
the blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) may legally block in the back in the
blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions:
(a) A player on the line of scrimmage within this blocking zone may not
leave the zone, return and block in the back.
(b) The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule
2-3-6).
2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed
himself in intent and direction or movement.
3. When a player attempts to reach a runner or legally attempts to recover
or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he
may push an opponent in the back above the waist (Rule 9-1-5 Exception
3).
4. When the opponent turns his back to the blocker under Rule 9-3-3-a-1-
(b).
5. When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent in
the back above the waist to get to a forward pass (Rule 9-1-5 Exception
4).
PENALTY—10 yards. Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone
are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs
behind Team A’s goal line. [S43].