Closed Scrimmages question [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Closed Scrimmages question

NCMISSSTFAN
10-29-2015, 03:28 PM
According to Howland in his recent press conference, apparently we are scrimmaging UAB this weekend. They were a tourney team who beat Iowa State last year so it should be a good game to somewhat see where we are. But what are the rules for these "closed scrimmages". Are stats shown after the game? Is there legal issues that can come with them?

dnmuga93
10-29-2015, 04:45 PM
No media is allowed to attend, I know that.

I also know there is often a third period of play (usually 10 minutes).

I posted an article in the basketball forum listing out all the scrimmages. It was an ESPN Insider article, so it may not show for non-subscribers.

kentubbybasketball
10-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Word always gets out about what happens, so don't be worried. You'll hear soon enough after the game how certain guys looked.

NCMISSSTFAN
10-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Ok, thanks guys. He mentioned Newman had a slight turf toe issue so I'm hoping he plays.

xAuBuRn
10-29-2015, 09:33 PM
We open the season with UAB. I think they return all 5 starters if I remember right. Good Luck against them.

NCMISSSTFAN
10-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Yea xAuBuRn, Howland mentioned that they bring a lot back from a tourney team, but I like the direction Pearl has you guys going.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-02-2015, 08:21 AM
MSU won in its unofficial scrimmage 82-62. Newman and Ready both sat out with injuries but both are expected to be available to start the season:

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/11/02/basketball-shines-in-not-so-secret-scrimmage/

GoDores
11-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Vandy had one of its secret scrimmages at UNC over the weekend. Very tight lipped but someone inside the program said Vandy looked "very solid" and Riley LaChance and true freshman Camron Justice looked good- which is kinda funny because those two are basically the same player.

The UNC message board rumor is that UNC won.

Vandy has one more scrimmage at home against Virginia. Good practice against different styles and good competition level - UNC and UVA are both top 6 in the nation.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Does Vandy have any true Exhibition games this season? I like the "closed" scrimmages but I also like true exhibition games, just so we as fans can here more about what the players look like early on. But I'm sure the coaches like these closed scrimmages because they can gauge where there team is against real D1 competition. We do play an official scrimmage Friday so I'm hoping Newman plays in this one. Our other Freshman guard Q. Weatherspoon started at the PG spot this weekend and had 11 points. Everyone is saying he is the most complete Freshman on campus, maybe not the most talented (Newman) but the most complete. I'm excited about them both.

GoDores
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
No exhibition games. 2 scrimmages and then open up with Austin Peay on the 13th.

msudawg4life
11-06-2015, 04:39 PM
So this whole idea of closed door scrimmages? Is this a new thing happening in coll basketball or has it been going on? This is the first year I have heard of aynthing like this happening. Usually teams have a few exhibition games where they do not charge admission and the fans can get to know the players and get a feel for what to expect in this season to come. Tubby...has UK done anything like this before??

kentubbybasketball
11-06-2015, 08:04 PM
No. This wouldn't work at a place like UK. Fans would revolt. We make money off exhibition games. Too much to give up that for a closed scrimmage. We'd rather just schedule people. We can get UNC for regular season games. No need for a closed scrimmage. That's not to sound arrogant.

msudawg4life
11-08-2015, 10:24 PM
I just noticed it happening...was not sure if this was something new...much like pro teams who practice the week and scrimmage together during training camp...

Dawgilicious
11-09-2015, 10:03 PM
I got kicked out of a closed scrimmage on Saturday at The Palestra. :)

GoDores
11-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Word is Virginia beat Vandy by 7 in a scrimmage over the weekend.