Preseason Rankings [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Rankings

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 02:48 PM
UK is tied for #1 in the Coach's Poll with UNC. It's the third straight year that UK is ranked #1 to start the season. I honestly don't think we should be #1. I'd have Maryland at 1, UNC at 2, and us at 3. However, that's how I'd rate the rosters come March. Even at this moment we might not be the best team in the country.

LSU is 19th and Vandy is in 20th place.

XPS
10-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Kentucky with skal is just as good or better then any team in the country . there are no dominant teams this year like last year with UK, Wisky and Duke . Maryland will go on my overrated list and prove to be overrated soon enough.

Dawgilicious
10-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Should be a solid season and a lot of fun. Dont tell maryland and UNC fans they shouldn't be up there. They get offended really easily

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Kentucky with skal is just as good or better then any team in the country . there are no dominant teams this year like last year with UK, Wisky and Duke . Maryland will go on my overrated list and prove to be overrated soon enough.

No offense to you, XPS, but that's the thing that annoys me though. It's akin to saying Nerlens Noel is not Anthony Davis... well, nobody else was Anthony Davis either that next year. You don't have to be Anthony Davis to be the best. Same thing is here. Nobody else has to be Duke, UK, or Wisconsin from last year. You have to be the team that wins 6 games (maybe 7) in row during the NCAAT.

Quite honestly, Duke last year wasn't the best team. But, 30 years from now nobody is going to remember that. It's not like Duke's title will be weighted differently. Same here, in a year where nobody will likely be dominant, Vanderbilt could win the national title. I mean, why couldn't they? The only things stopping Vandy is perimeter defense IMO. Otherwise, why shouldn't they be just as favored as UK or Maryland. Offensively, they'll be better than both UK or Maryland.

As for Maryland. They have the deepest team. They could run platoons this year if they wanted, because they are 2 deep everywhere with quality players. The only reason UK and UNC are first is because the UK and UNC coaches have both won big before, so they are given the benefit of the doubt. But, I'll tell you this, college basketball starts with guards and Maryland has a great one in Melo Trimble. Plus, they have defense in Saulimon. They have periemeter size with Layman, who could be a pro right now. They have NBA level bigs with Stone and maybe even Carter, who has slimmed down. Yeah, they are overrated if you compare them to UK from last year, but compared to this year, who is head and shoulders better?

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 05:03 PM
As for UK, some questions I have. Who can you throw the ball down to in the post and know they are going to give you a basket? To me that's the biggest concern; not how will we manage three PGs together in the same lineup... we had basically three centers starting last year and that's harder to manage than three guards IMO. But, Cal wants us to throw lobs and that will work with Tyler Ulis being the point man, but good defenses (UofL, UVa, Wisconsin, etc) will shut your water off and those lobs won't be there. How will we manufacture easy baskets?

Last year when the going got tough vs Notre Dame in the Elite 8, we just pounded it inside to KAT. Who does that this year? I know Ulis, Murray, and especially Briscoe are adept at getting into the lane and they might get the D to converge, but again, who scores when you need offense, like we needed in that UGA game at Stegeman when we were down 10 with 5 minutes left?

I think we'll lose something between 5-8 games this year. We're just not good enough to play at 65% and still win every game this year. In a year of balance, the champ could be a team that loses 8 games... UConn just won a title two years ago over us in the title game and they were a 7 seed.

xAuBuRn
10-15-2015, 05:33 PM
I have a couple cousins that go to MD. I plan on going to see a few games. They said they could get me in the student section with them. They will always be my second favorite team in football and basketball. I don't catch every game like I do with Auburn though. I think they got a NC caliber team. Auburn I think has NIT potential. I think we have some very good players, but we will be very young. UAB is a very tough start. They return most of their starters off a sweet 16 team I think.

XPS
10-15-2015, 05:45 PM
First off I respect your opinion and outlook kt . I don't get butt hurt because people disagree with my opinion. First off speaking of Maryland and Vandy until they show me both are overrated . skal can get buckets inside kt and UK will have a better backcourt then last year, why you ask? Simple, Tyler won't have to share his minutes and I wouldnt trade Murray for any guard from last years team besides maybe Booker who I would have loved to see in Cals usual 6 to 7 man rotation. All I am saying is UK will be just as good pegged as number 1 as any other team.

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 06:56 PM
With all due respect though X, you say in one sentence that Maryland and Vandy have to show you something... the next sentence you talk about Skal can get buckets.... wouldn't he technically have to show you too if you're being fair? When has he shown anything on this level?

We don't disagree that UK is a great team. But, this cycle of rinse and repeat hasn't always worked. Most seasons when it does work, it starts working in February or March... right now we're talking about the #1 team in November. Maryland has shown more than this UK team has. I don't think that's really up for debate. Now, if we're judging off what we think will happen... fine, but Maryland is more proven than Kentucky.

XPS
10-15-2015, 07:32 PM
It would be foolish to bet against Skal with Cals track record with projected number 1 picks KT. I don't think Maryland has a big-time coach to get them to the next level and lots of teams have trouble with the bulls eye that comes with high expectations. Vandy will be good, but some act like Maryland and Vandy are coming off of a final 4. UK does return Tyler, Alex and Lee whom has played in final 4s , why is that being over looked?

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Who's betting against Cal's track record? That's not the point. You said, you needed to see proof. Skal has done nothing on this level, and even Cal has had NIT disappointments at both Memphis and UK. I'm not downing Cal, I'm just trying to be objective. You can't demand proof on one end and not on the other and not expect to be called out on that.

As for Turgeon, that's the point I made earlier. People don't consider him a big time coach, but every big time coach had doubts placed on them before they actually achieved the big time... just like Cal. He still doesn't quite get the respect he deserves from all corners and that after a title in 2012 and a Hall of Fame induction. Turgeon has taken Wichita State to a Sweet 16 before Gregg Marshall ever got there. He won big at TAMU also.

As for the final four thing, since when does coming off a final four guarantee anything. UK WON THE TITLE IN 2012 AND MISSED THE FIELD THE NEXT YEAR. UCONN WON THE TITLE IN 2014 AND MISSED THE FIELD LAST YEAR. Florida was in the final four two years ago, and missed the field last year. It happens.

XPS
10-15-2015, 09:43 PM
So the team with a losing record in the SEC last year is deserving to be number 1 as much as UK or any team? I find that funny. Stallings teams have always for the most part been good offensively and Mr Stallings has a losing record in the SEC not the ACC, not the old Bigeast .

We will agree to disagree and see if Maryland and Vandy are as good as you think.

Dawgilicious
10-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Maryland has so many more weapons than they did last ear and their best player is a year older and more mature. They are going to be good. Now, if they dont win the title or make the final four....is that a disappointment or an overrated team? Who knows. Hard to place a number of wins on a team cause things happen, but I would be shocked if they didn't have a super season

XPS
10-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Maryland has so many more weapons than they did last ear and their best player is a year older and more mature. They are going to be good. Now, if they dont win the title or make the final four....is that a disappointment or an overrated team? Who knows. Hard to place a number of wins on a team cause things happen, but I would be shocked if they didn't have a super season

Can they Handel the bullseye ? We will see....

VandyChuck
10-16-2015, 11:01 AM
So the team with a losing record in the SEC last year is deserving to be number 1 as much as UK or any team? I find that funny. Stallings teams have always for the most part been good offensively and Mr Stallings has a losing record in the SEC not the ACC, not the old Bigeast .

We will agree to disagree and see if Maryland and Vandy are as good as you think.

Vandy didn't have a losing record in the SEC last year.

Dawgilicious
10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Can they Handel the bullseye ? We will see....

That will be the question. They were touted last year too, maybe not to the level they are this offseason

Bama_Man
10-16-2015, 01:55 PM
I agree whole heartedly with KT, I would have Maryland in the top 3 easily. Returning the best guard in the nation, a deep team, and bringing in elite recruits, Maryland has a case to be ranked as highly as any team.

All they lost is Wells, who was a great player, but they brought in some great players.

GoDores
10-16-2015, 02:17 PM
It's not hard to see why Vandy is getting preseason recognition. They had a roster dominated by freshmen and sophomores last year. They finished the conference season going 8-2 and made a nice run in the NIT. They bring back everyone including a likely lottery pick, and 2 other potential draft picks whenever they turn pro. Plus throw in a high scoring transfer who is eligible this year.

What's the deal with Skal? Is he going to get cleared? What's the percentages?

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2015, 02:36 PM

When did I say Vandy was deserving of #1, X? I never said that. I said they could win the national title, and I stand by that still.

FWIW, are you saying that Vandy had a losing record in the SEC, because they didn't. They finished .500, and if you take away the 1-7 start, they actually were well over .500. Trends do matter, and Vandy is trending up.

Bama_Man
10-16-2015, 02:36 PM
From reading the articles, it seems like Cal is 100% sure SB will start game one and play this season with no issue.

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Skal is fine.... did you realize we had 3 players last year that weren't cleared until the week the season started. This happens every year. Why are people making a bigger deal about it this year is why Cal is so confused.