Preseason Practice Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Practice Thread

GoDores
10-08-2015, 03:56 PM
With basketball practice underway, thought it could be good to get a check in. I thought of this because Stallings has gone out of his way recently to praise the team he has right now, which I can just never remember him doing. You saw and heard it last year, but he loves this group he's got now. He calls them unselfish and willing to sacrifice. You can tell he thinks he's got something this year.

He also said this is probably the best shooting team he's ever had, which I think is saying a whole lot.

XPS
10-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Speaking of practice. EspnU well carry UKs practice tonight at 6pm.

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Speaking of practice, I think my two most intriguing players at UK this year are Isaac Humphries and Mychal Mulder, simply because they are the two we know the least about. I was surprisied that Mulder didn't stand out at the televised practice. I think he as a JUCO should have fared better than he did, and it's not like he looked bad. He just didn't stand out in a way that he could have and should have IMO.

VandyChuck
10-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Vandy will play UVA (in Nashville) and UNC (in Chapel Hill) in "secret" scrimmages before the season according to Fran Frischilla. I was wondering why we didn't have any exhibition games scheduled. You can apparantly have these scrimmages in lieu of exhibition games.

kentubbybasketball
10-15-2015, 06:53 PM
The rule is you can have these closed scrimmages but nobody can be there. Vandy has done this with UNC quite often in the past actually. Clearly, Stallings and ole Roy have a long standing relationship having worked together.

Dawgilicious
10-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Last year we scrimmaged against NC State and 2 years ago it was Clemson. I'm not sure who or if we are planning a scrimmage this season.

VandyChuck
10-16-2015, 10:58 AM
The rule is you can have these closed scrimmages but nobody can be there. Vandy has done this with UNC quite often in the past actually. Clearly, Stallings and ole Roy have a long standing relationship having worked together.

Yeah, I got that part, just didn't know that these scrimmages officially take the place of exhibition games.

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Well, of course, Chuck. Otherwise, people would be scheduling exos and scrimmages. That's the reason behind it.

Teams like UK won't do the closed scrimmages. Fans would have a fit.

VandyChuck
10-16-2015, 04:51 PM
Yes, I'm sure that's it. Nice not so hidden dig in there.

"Yes Mr. (insert UK AD name here), I think a scrimmage would be extremely beneficial to our team and provide a much higher level of competition than an exhibition game!"

"But our fans...they'd have a fit............."

"Oh you're right, never mind then"

VandyChuck
10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Teams like UK won't do the closed scrimmages. Fans would have a fit.

I would hope your fans would be supportive of ANYTHING that could make the team better (beating NAIA schools in exhibition games does not), but I guess if GOD FORBID they can't SEE it, than NO DEAL, JACK!! NOT HAVING IT!!

kentubbybasketball
10-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Ha, I'm not here to argue Chuck. If I really wanted to get in a dig I wouldn't be defending Vandy in the other thread. My life doesn't concern around taking u necessary digs at vandy. Sorry if you felt like that was a dig but I wasn't really thinking about insulting Vandy..

XPS
10-16-2015, 09:33 PM
No doubt the scrimmage would be more competition . but I'm taking the exh game because its on TV and its always nice for the little schools to profit as well and let's be real how much did the closed scrimmage help Vandy last year.

kentubbybasketball
10-17-2015, 12:22 PM
How much would an exhibition game have helped. Exhibition vs closed scrimmage isn't the difference in a good season or bad imo. Just a matter of preference.

XPS
10-17-2015, 12:44 PM
How much would an exhibition game have helped. Exhibition vs closed scrimmage isn't the difference in a good season or bad imo. Just a matter of preference.

True for Vandy but not UK. A exh game would give the new kid a chance to play in front of the big crowd.