Miss St non-conf schedule is out: [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Miss St non-conf schedule is out:

Dawgilicious
07-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Nov. 6: Fort Valley State (EXB)
Nov. 13: Eastern Washington
Nov. 16: Southern University
Nov. 19-22: Puerto Rico Classic (Utah, Butler, Miami, Minnesota, Temple, Missouri State, Texas Tech)
Nov. 28: UT Martin
Dec. 2: Texas Southern
Dec. 12: at Missouri-Kansas City
Dec. 16: at Florida State
Dec. 19: Tulane
Dec. 23: vs. Northern Colorado (Jackson, MS)
Dec. 31: North Carolina Central

Ben Howland’s first season in Starkville should result in a fairly favorable record for the Bulldogs, as Mississippi State’s newly-announced non-conference schedule is not exactly taxing.

The Bulldogs will play at Florida State, a potential tournament team, and UMKC, as well as potentially squaring off with Utah, Butler, Miami and Minnesota at the Puerto Rico Classic. But beyond that, MSU’s schedule is fairly unimpressive.

Eastern Washington made the 2015 NCAA tournament but lost star Tyler Harvey to the NBA Draft. North Carolina Central has been a powerhouse in the MEAC the last three years, but it’s the MEAC. Tulane is technically a high-major program now that they’re in the American, but a loss to Tulane would look much worse than a win would look good.

The good news? Star freshman Malik Newman should be able to make a run at leading the country in scoring heading into SEC play.

XPS
07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Granted- nobody is beating down States door to play. However, thats weak as hell and unless State finishes in the top 3 wins a couple of games in the SEC tournament and beats one of UK- LSU- GA or Vandy welcome to the NIT.

kentubbybasketball
07-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Yeah that's a very weak schedule. It's going to hurt the league if they are a top 5 team as some are saying and with that group of seniors plus Newman who knows. I just think this is the kind of schedule that will help Newman take 30 shots a game and average 25 ppg. It'll allow him to be inefficient and then he'll get to the SEC and realize it's the big time. I'm not trying to sound like a schedule shamer but Howland could've done better than that I'd think.

But, I will say this that FSU team is looking good. XRM is a scorer on the level of Newman and they have a class of guards that could give them the best backcourt in the country.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Yeah I'm not impressed with that schedule either. We do also play Miami in the 1st round of the that Puerto Rico classic too, but overall I'm not a huge fan of this Non conference schedule.