Looks like Tyndall is toast [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Tyndall is toast

Herchel
07-26-2015, 02:56 PM
http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/NCAA-charges-Donnie-Tyndall-with-multiple-violations-38375597

Former Tennessee basketball coach Donnie Tyndall committed four Level I NCAA violations while at Southern Miss, according to a notice of allegations that Southern Miss released on Friday.

Altogether, the NCAA mentions seven violations in the notice of allegations.

The missteps of Tyndall and his former staff include arranging fraudulent academic credit for prospective student athletes, providing impermissible financial aid and refusing to cooperate in the NCAA investigation.

Tyndall coached the Golden Eagles for two seasons before coming to UT, and was fired in March after one 16-16 season as a result of the ongoing investigation into his former program. UT has since hired former Texas coach Rick Barnes.

Here is a summary of the four Level I violations allegedly committed by Tyndall:

No. 1: The NCAA says Tyndall, an associate head coach and two assistant coaches arranged fraudulent academic credit in the completion of online coursework for seven prospective student athletes. In one instance, Tyndall paid for the online courses. The NCAA says this is a Level I violation, and that it took place between June 2012 and May 2014.

No. 2: The NCAA says Tyndall provided impermissible source of financial aid to two academic non-qualifiers. Tyndall provided cash and prepaid cards that totaled approximately $6,000 to one of the players, which went toward the player’s expenses associated with room and board. Tyndall provided prepaid cards that totaled $2,000 to the other student, which went toward the same reasons. The NCAA says this is a Level I violation, and that it took place during the 2012-13 and 2014-15 academic years.

No. 3: The NCAA says Tyndall obstructed the NCAA investigation and did not cooperate. Specifically, Tyndall deleted pertinent emails and provided false or misleading information to the NCAA enforcement staff. He also contacted some interviewees about the investigation and influenced other interviewees to provide false or misleading information to the enforcement staff. The NCAA says this is a Level I violation, and that it took place between August 2014 and June 2015.

No. 4: The NCAA says Tyndall violated head coach responsibility legislation as he is presumed to be responsible for the alleged violations of his staff members as well as himself. The NCAA says this is a Level I violation.
The notice of allegations does not involve any current member of the Southern Miss men’s basketball team or coaching staff, and it does not include a charge of lack of institutional control or failure to monitor the program by the university.

“The University understands the serious nature of the allegations and has worked collaboratively with the NCAA in reviewing this matter since last fall,” USM said in a release. “We will continue to fully cooperate with the NCAA through the remainder of the administrative process, which we do not expect to conclude before Spring 2016.”

kentubbybasketball
07-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Herchel, it looked like he was toast when UT fired him relatively quickly I thought. If these allegations are true, he probably should be. I mean I don't know what's worse doing academic work for students or paying them. Both of those are egregious and clear level one type violations. I'd imagine he could work in the NBA for a while, but I think a guy with final fours on his resume would have a hard time getting a job under these conditions (if they are true).

rstew3
07-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Those are some serious allegations. Typically the NCAA doesn't come out with this stuff unless they have solid proof, and even then, they apparently give the offender opportunity to pay them off or something to look away.