SEC Summer School [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : SEC Summer School

kentubbybasketball
07-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Basketball fans, pretty good article here about our league with projections. There are two links (both from CBS). What do you agree or disagree with in the two articles. Below I'll list out the rankings for next season.

1. Kentucky: An easy call. Kentucky will probably win the league by four games. Intrigued to see how good Isaiah Briscoe is in Cal's offense.

2. LSU: Johnny Jones lost his two best players, but he's got Ben Simmons (future No. 1 pick?) and a potentially stellar backcourt in Antonio Blakeney/Brandon Sampson.

3. Georgia:Gimme the Dawgs to make a run of it here. They've got a great backcourt, and I think they'll be a very fun watch in the league.

4. Vanderbilt: Vandy will likely be chic pick to take second in the league. Kevin Stallings last made the NCAAs in 2012. Should be back in 2016.

5. Texas A & M: Billy Kennedy's fifth year, and he'll most likely make the NCAAs this season due four four-star freshmen, plus Danuel House and Jalen Jones.

6. Ole Miss: Marshall Henderson took 34.6 percent of Ole Miss' shots his senior season, in 2013-14; I'm guessing Stefan Moody breaks that mark in 2015-16.

7. Mississippi State: Guessing high on MSU here, as Howland is no doubt a really good coach, and Malik Newman could be a stud right off the bat.

8. Florida: Last year's team was an absolute mess, and I'm thinking UF won't crack 20 Ws in White's first year. We'll see if big man John Egbunu breaks out.

9. Auburn: Bruce Pearl won't make the NCAA Tournament next season, but the one after that? He should have a good shot. Tigers on the move.

10. Arkansas: They lose Michael Qualls and Bobby Portis, meaning last year's 27-9 mark is better than what's to come in 2015-16.

11. South Carolina: Frank Martin's kind of just ... existing at South Carolina. The Gamecocks still don't have depth. Sindarius Thornwell a darkhouse all-league choice.

12. Tennessee: Vols start over AGAIN. Barnes was with Texas and made the NCAAs all but once in 17 seasons. They'll love him forever at this UT if he does that.

13. Missouri: Anyone's guess as to how Missouri climbs out from the depths at the moment. You wonder if this might be a five- or six-year dormancy.

14. Alabama Johnson was hired after Bama couldn't get Gregg Marshall, despite offering north of $4 million. How long before he hears the NBA call again?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25246599/sec-summer-school-offseason-leads-up-to-most-intriguing-season-in-years

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25247463/offseason-questions-on-the-sec

kentubbybasketball
07-22-2015, 02:09 PM
I gotta say I agree with that top 5 completely. Maybe not in that order. I do like Vandy's roster the more I look at it, but there is not much experience there (winning experience). I'd still put them at 2 or 3 with LSU. I like UGA's experience. If Maten can step up and Mann is out of the slump, they're a top 4 team. I have been preaching TAMU all summer long. They just have to do better at being consistent, but they do have a deep roster. Ole Miss at 6 is a bit too high IMO.

I think the all-conference team is great. I'm not sure who I'd say is UK's best player: Skal or Tyler???

NCMISSSTFAN
07-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Pretty accurate but there are a couple of teams I would have ahead of Ole Miss. I do think Moody is a really good player though, just not sure about the other guys.

kentubbybasketball
07-22-2015, 09:20 PM
This Finley guy that added from junior college is apparently the real deal nobody does JUCO guards in the SEC as well as Ole Miss. My issue with OM is that Newby basically led them in rebounding. It's nice for him but if a guard is your best rebounder, what does that say about your bigs. I tell you what though their guards are pretty good. If the front court just rebounds, defends and makes easy shots who knows. Obviously they will put up 90 some nights.

OM has lost some size on the perimeter too. That will hurt. My SEC sleeper is Auburn and South Carolina. Guards are always easier to get in college and both have solid guards. USC in particular has added a lot of size to get them in Frank's words at a point to where they can match UK'S size.

Herchel
07-23-2015, 06:03 AM
I will be very pleased if UGA is 3rd.
Can Johnny Jones coach as well as he recruits?

GoDores
07-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Outside of Kentucky, the top 5 are really in a prove it stage. Good enough to win the SEC, but you gotta prove it. LSU has coach issues that I think will hold them back. UGA and Vandy have threatened but haven't yet broken through. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just cautious with A&M. I feel like they've come out of nowhere. I know Caruso is back, and apparently from this article they have some good freshmen coming in, but I don't see them with potential to win the SEC next season.

I don't see Kentucky winning by 4 games next year either. I think this season could be one to go down to the final week...finally...like the good ole days.

kentubbybasketball
07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
TAMU's best player is Danuel House. That's the main reason people are high on them. House could be SEC POY honestly. NBA level athleticism. Good slasher. If they can find some reliable shooting, and just up their offense in general, I don't see why they can't be a second weekend type NCAAT team.

GoDores
07-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Deep into SEC realignment and we've got Missouri coming off SEC East titles in football with projections to win again and Texas A&M with top tier SEC basketball projections....just like it was drawn up.

XPS
07-23-2015, 03:50 PM
If Skal is eligible UK will win the SEC by 4 or more games. Make room for Jamal Murray on the first team because he is that good.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 11:03 AM
XPS I'm pretty impressed with Murray, I saw this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KcqoVdkhm0

XPS
07-24-2015, 02:48 PM
XPS I'm pretty impressed with Murray, I saw this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KcqoVdkhm0

Special player for sure. He is on the Canada Pan-Am team and doing very good his team plays the USA team tonight at 6 pm on espn3.

kentubbybasketball
07-24-2015, 02:56 PM
NC, I love Murray but I think he can be an even better passer, and some people say he needs the ball in his hands. I wonder if playing alongside Tyler Ulis will there take an adjustment. Briscoe also thrives with the ball in his hands. If anybody can make this work with guys "out of position" it is Cal. I love Murray's craftiness. He's not the quickest or most athletic guy but he has that spin move down. He can change directions well. He's 6'5. I'm excited to have him as well.

kentubbybasketball
07-24-2015, 03:20 PM
NC, here is an article where MSU is ranked #113 in the preseason. Agree or disagree?

http://collegesportsmadness.com/article/11716

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 03:27 PM
NC, I love Murray but I think he can be an even better passer, and some people say he needs the ball in his hands. I wonder if playing alongside Tyler Ulis will there take an adjustment. Briscoe also thrives with the ball in his hands. If anybody can make this work with guys "out of position" it is Cal. I love Murray's craftiness. He's not the quickest or most athletic guy but he has that spin move down. He can change directions well. He's 6'5. I'm excited to have him as well.

Yeah I noticed that...he does seem to need the ball in his hands, but Cal knows how to figure that out. He's done it every year. As you said, he isn't the most athletic guard I've seen but he has that confident swag that I like in a guard, one who isn't afraid of the big stage and who wants the ball in his hands.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 03:42 PM
NC, here is an article where MSU is ranked #113 in the preseason. Agree or disagree?

http://collegesportsmadness.com/article/11716

KT, I can't really disagree with that preseason ranking this early because we still have a lot to prove. We are definitely deeper and more talented this year than we have been in the past three seasons, as the article mentioned, our Newcomers need to play a huge role in turning this team around. I actually like that projected starting 5 he mentioned:

I.J. Ready, Junior, Guard, 8.2 points per game
Malik Newman, Freshman, Guard, DNP last season
Craig Sword, Senior, Guard, 11.3 points per game
Aric Holman, Freshman, Forward, DNP last season
Gavin Ware, Senior, Forward, 10.0 points per game

Not a huge lineup in terms of size, but Holman gives us that length and shot blocking while Ware gives us the girth, scoring, rebounding and physicality needed. And with Ready, Newman and Sword on the court at the same time we could be very fast and explosive. Howland did say in a few interviews that he is going to play IJ and Newman together at times, but I doubt they start together, one of Howland's recruiting pitches to Newman was that he would allow him to play the PG position in college, which Newman wanted. I highly doubt Newman comes off the bench. I'm assuming the Starting lineup will be:

Newman/Ready
Sword/Weatherspoon
Thomas/Houston/Daniels
Holman/Zuppardo
Ware/Ndoye/Struggs

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Not comparing the two but Steph Curry isn't very athletic either, but his IQ, awareness, ball handling and skill set makes him one of the best players in the world right now. Again I'm not saying Murray is close to Curry but he seems to come from a mold similar to that type of player.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Special player for sure. He is on the Canada Pan-Am team and doing very good his team plays the USA team tonight at 6 pm on espn3.

Who is on the USA team?? I can't find the roster

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Nevermind I just found the roster, we have a pretty weak looking team down there.

Dawgilicious
07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Nevermind I just found the roster, we have a pretty weak looking team down there.

A lot of college kids and some int'l players

NCMISSSTFAN
07-24-2015, 04:02 PM
A lot of college kids and some int'l players

Yeah I saw that..Damien Wilkins, Ryan Hollins and Anthony Randolph actually played in the NBA for a little while

XPS
07-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I been watching the last three days and let me tell you these teams play hard and with passion for there country's and I have never seen such viloet screens picks and cuts.

kentubbybasketball
07-24-2015, 08:03 PM
Wow this USA Canada game is going to OT. This is the best game I've seen since the Notre Dame Elite 8 game.

I tell you what I love Jamal Murray. He makes winning plays. NC said it best. He's not afraid of the big stage
That three over Tarczewski to send it to OT was clutch. He's a willing defender, good passer. Gets into the lane thru craftiness and if you double him he will pass it. The fact he's on the court in clutch says it all because he's not a starter. Murray scored all hid pts in the fourth quarter and beyond after a second quarter injury. He's just a part of winning basketball. He just contributes to his team winning. Putting him with Ulis and Briscoe will be something else. I think Poythress will benefit a lot by Murray's penetration and drawing defenders as a weakside baseline player.

kentubbybasketball
07-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Murray hits two Aaron Harrison type threes in the final minute to go from being one to up 5. Ice water in the veins. Dude, is for real.

If he doesn't make team Canada I would be shocked. He might be better than Cory Joseph honestly.

XPS
07-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Jamal Murray scores 22 pts in the 4th quarter. What a game....