Damien Jones projected #9th in 2016 draft [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Damien Jones projected #9th in 2016 draft

XPS
07-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I didn't realize Jones was that big 6-11 245 and I actually read he was measured 7-0 with a 7-2 wingspan. I think it's put up or shut time for mr Stallings he has a lottery pick with a bunch of shooters, no reason Vandy can't be top 25 and a sweet 16 team and finish top 3 in the SEC.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 10:58 PM
X, he controlled the paint in Rupp this year although we had four draft picks inside. He is good. If there were no Tyler Ulis, I'd put him as preseason SEC POY. I still don't get how Vandy got him out of Baton Rouge, except for academics.

XPS
07-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Is Jones the 3rd best big in the SEC behind Skal and Simmons?

VandyChuck
07-05-2015, 12:46 AM
Is Jones the 3rd best big in the SEC behind Skal and Simmons?

Who and who?

XPS
07-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Who and who?

The projected 1 & 2 draft picks Chuck.

VandyChuck
07-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Damian is the best big man in the SEC right now. Those guys may be projected higher, but they ain't done jack in the SEC yet.

XPS
07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Damian is the best big man in the SEC right now. Those guys may be projected higher, but they ain't done jack in the SEC yet.

Neither had Towns, Cousins, etc Chuck. Unless these two are a total bust they will battle it out for the best big in the SEC and the#1 draft pick. Honestly Chuck is doing anything in the Sec a big deal??? These players face better competition in all Star games and camps.

kentubbybasketball
07-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Simmons is more of a wing even though he's 6'10. If LSU is playing him inside exclusively they aren't utilizing his best skill set, which is his passing. I can't think of many bigs in the NBA that can pass like Simmons.

Skal imo needs to gain some weight. Hate that Rock won't be here to help him in that. Skal is the most versatile of the three. Cal is going to make him to get that butt in the paint lime KAT. He tends to float out too much. He has the highest ceiling of the three.

Jones is proven somewhat. However, his teams haven't been good. Not sure all that experience he has over these two frosh is a net positive. Vandy has some good shooters surrounding him so how do you really cover him. Imo, you can't use single coverage because he'll get two points. But, who do you really help off of. The thing I like about Jones is that he's not some plodding back to the basket guy. He can face up too and be just as deadly.

If I had to rank them, from an NBA perspective Skal is the best overall big. Simmons is probably the best player overall. Jones will probably be better next year than both. I'm glad we got Skal out of these three personally.

To answer that question who though. People were once foolish to ask that about Anthony Davis too and now he's the best future player in the NBA over the next decade to some. Holding classification against a frosh is foolish in this era. As Coach K said a few days ago, our goal is to be young and talented. The best talent these days are the young guys.

GoDores
07-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Damian Jones is coming back for his senior year- 2017- to make a run at a national title. You heard it hear first.

For what it's worth, which isn't much, there are people I know who swear Damian is a 4 year guy because of how important that engineering degree is to him, which they say can't be attained in 3 years. Just adding to message board rumors.
Obviously you can always come back to finish the degree, but it would definitely be easier to do it in a senior year rather than while playing professionally. It's obvious the degree is important to him though because it was a big part of why he came to Vandy.

Where was WCS projected before he decided to come back for his senior year? I'd say he definitely made the right choice in coming back.

kentubbybasketball
07-07-2015, 02:42 PM
????? Willie never came back for a senior year. WCS was a first round draft pick progression after his sophomore season for sure. I can't remember about his frosh season but scouts always loved his athleticism and his ability to put somebody in jail on defense from a point guard to a center. If he doesn't get injured maybe we win the national title over UCONN in 2014. Doubt the maybe honestly.

Dawgilicious
07-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Idk about Vandy winning a national title, but it is good to want to get that degree and never fault a kid for that. I concur with KT on WCS when he came in. I remember scouts loving his athleticism as a fresh cause of the versatility he could provide on the court without his size being a deterrent on defense

GoDores
07-07-2015, 03:47 PM
The optimistic side of me realizes Vandy is a projected top 25 team right now (and likely better), and could have the same team returning for the next 2 years. (Minus a reserve center). You could potentially also throw in a 4/5* freshman to the 2017 team. But I digress.

I'll have fun this season and hope Jones comes back for his senior year.

XPS
07-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Should be a fun season and I hope Stallings grows a pair and actually schedule some top 25 teams because Stallings has a top25 team himself, cmon Stallings it's not gonna hurt if Vandy goes on the road vs top 25 teams. I would be willing to bet it will be more of the same. I'm picking Vandy behind the Cats in the Sec.

Dawgilicious
07-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Should be a fun season and I hope Stallings grows a pair and actually schedule some top 25 teams because Stallings has a top25 team himself, cmon Stallings it's not gonna hurt if Vandy goes on the road vs top 25 teams. I would be willing to bet it will be more of the same. I'm picking Vandy behind the Cats in the Sec.

I believe they are going to Purdue and to Texas so far along with going to Maui

XPS
07-08-2015, 08:46 AM
I believe they are going to Purdue and to Texas so far along with going to Maui

Those are not bad teams-a lot of times SEC teams load up on cupcakes and wonder why they struggle come conference time.

Dawgilicious
07-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Those are not bad teams-a lot of times SEC teams load up on cupcakes and wonder why they struggle come conference time.

Yeah, cant deny that. A lot of teams do it and it is good the committee has used that in selections to make schools beef up the schedule a bit

Dawgilicious
07-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Here is what AU has so far:

UAB
Colorado
Ga Southern
NW State
Coastal Carolina
MTSU
Mercer
@Xavier
Ok State

VandyChuck
07-08-2015, 11:45 AM

So we should wait to make our OOC schedule until the pre-season top 25 comes out. Makes sense.

Not our fault that Baylor, Purdue, Ga. Tech, St. Louis weren't ranked last year. The schedule is fine. We don't get to have built in rivalries with perennial top 25 teams like UK does.

kentubbybasketball
07-08-2015, 01:46 PM

I disagree first with that idea but also with the logic. First, if everybody in the SEC is scheduling cupcakes then you can't correlate that to subsequent struggles in conference play, because everybody (evenly) played cupcakes. But, secondly, I just disagree with that concept. Slive/Sankey have upped the expectations for scheduling for basketball the last few seasons. X, remember South Carolina played Iowa State last year and after they beat them you postulated they would be second... it's not like SEC teams are playing any poorer of a schedule than any other big leagues. Nobody in the SEC (outside of Kentucky) is scheduling like Ohio State or Michigan State does. Most everybody schedules easy; as in 1 or 2 tough games, a holiday tourney, and the rest are buy-in games. If I were a big league team, I'd do the same thing. I think it was Mark Fox who made the point that sometimes it's not fair to expect "him" (or a coach in a rebuilding situation) to schedule the same as a team like Kentucky. So, blanket conference rules about scheduling sometimes don't help. I wouldn't say that Coach K or Jim Boeheim schedule tough, but they always do well in March. Scheduling is an artform. People don't have to schedule tough to appease someone else, coaches have a responsibility to their fans to win (and sure, bring good games in for season ticket packages, but winning is the first priority, and that can be done without going thru a OOC gauntlet).

That said, I agree that Stallings needs to up his schedule giving the roster he has. I'm not so sure they are the second best team in the SEC though. I think TAMU is deeper. UGA has more winning experience and probably better coaching. LSU has better high end talent.

GoDores
07-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Stallings has always done a good job of scheduling to the teams' expectations. Next season is no different, one of the toughest schedules on paper I can remember Vandy having.

Maui- with 3 games against Indiana, Kansas, St. Johns, UCLA, UNLV, Wake Forest, or Chaminade
@ Baylor
@ Texas
@ Purdue
vs. Dayton

Those are 7 potential quality games, given that you only play about 12 in the non conference. Vandy is maybe slightly on the radar right now, but with that schedule they could be on everyone's radar by January.

VandyChuck
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Stallings has always done a good job of scheduling to the teams' expectations. Next season is no different, one of the toughest schedules on paper I can remember Vandy having.

Maui- with 3 games against Indiana, Kansas, St. Johns, UCLA, UNLV, Wake Forest, or Chaminade
@ Baylor
@ Texas
@ Purdue
vs. Dayton

Those are 7 potential quality games, given that you only play about 12 in the non conference. Vandy is maybe slightly on the radar right now, but with that schedule they could be on everyone's radar by January.

Watch, we'll draw Chaminade and these UK guys will get on Stallings' about scheduling weak.

kentubbybasketball
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM
That is solid, but when you consider that those teams could just as easily flop the strength of that schedule really swings in the balance. You can't determine if another team is going to do well or not though, so that's not Stallings' concern per se. I think another thing to consider is that people aren't beating down the doors to come to Nashville either to play Vandy.

XPS
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
So we should wait to make our OOC schedule until the pre-season top 25 comes out. Makes sense.

Not our fault that Baylor, Purdue, Ga. Tech, St. Louis weren't ranked last year. The schedule is fine. We don't get to have built in rivalries with perennial top 25 teams like UK does.

Excuses Chuck. The top 25 is predictable most of the time.

XPS
07-08-2015, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=kentubbybasketball;1875918

I think another thing to consider is that people aren't beating down the doors to come to Nashville either to play Vandy.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point kt. Stallings can schedule road games with top teams what's it going to hurt???

GoDores
07-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Exactly my point kt. Calipari can schedule road games with top teams what's it going to hurt???

Fixed it for you. :cool:

XPS
07-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I disagree first with that idea but also with the logic. First, if everybody in the SEC is scheduling cupcakes then you can't correlate that to subsequent struggles in conference play, because everybody (evenly) played cupcakes. But, secondly, I just disagree with that concept. Slive/Sankey have upped the expectations for scheduling for basketball the last few seasons. X, remember South Carolina played Iowa State last year and after they beat them you postulated they would be second... it's not like SEC teams are playing any poorer of a schedule than any other big leagues. Nobody in the SEC (outside of Kentucky) is scheduling like Ohio State or Michigan State does. Most everybody schedules easy; as in 1 or 2 tough games, a holiday tourney, and the rest are buy-in games. If I were a big league team, I'd do the same thing. I think it was Mark Fox who made the point that sometimes it's not fair to expect "him" (or a coach in a rebuilding situation) to schedule the same as a team like Kentucky. So, blanket conference rules about scheduling sometimes don't help. I wouldn't say that Coach K or Jim Boeheim schedule tough, but they always do well in March. Scheduling is an artform. People don't have to schedule tough to appease someone else, coaches have a responsibility to their fans to win (and sure, bring good games in for season ticket packages, but winning is the first priority, and that can be done without going thru a OOC gauntlet).

That said, I agree that Stallings needs to up his schedule giving the roster he has. I'm not so sure they are the second best team in the SEC though. I think TAMU is deeper. UGA has more winning experience and probably better coaching. LSU has better high end talent.

I See what you re saying and Vandys schedule might be tougher then I'm giving it credit for. I disagree with K and Jim scheduling cupcakes ,K schedules much tougher then Jim B.

XPS
07-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Who else looks for Wade Baldwin to have a break out year ?

GoDores
07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
I think Wade will be solid. He's got the attitude you need to be a champion. If you are looking for someone on Vandy to "break out" look for Nolan Cressler, transfer who is eligible this year. Between, Wade, Cressler, and LaChance, we have scorer on scorer on scorer. I might even put Luke Kornet in more of a "break out" role than Wade. 7 footer who can nail them from outside and was really coming along on his inside game at the end of last season. Stallings went to Kornet a lot late last year in big possessions.

XPS
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Go do you think next years Vandy team will be better than the year they beat the Cats in the sec tournament?

VandyChuck
07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
I think Wade will be solid. He's got the attitude you need to be a champion. If you are looking for someone on Vandy to "break out" look for Nolan Cressler, transfer who is eligible this year. Between, Wade, Cressler, and LaChance, we have scorer on scorer on scorer. I might even put Luke Kornet in more of a "break out" role than Wade. 7 footer who can nail them from outside and was really coming along on his inside game at the end of last season. Stallings went to Kornet a lot late last year in big possessions.

Was definitely thinking Kornet as our breakout guy too. He's gonna breakout like Dan Langhi did his Jr. year!

(i only mention Langhi because he's a comparable player to Luke)

GoDores
07-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Go do you think next years Vandy team will be better than the year they beat the Cats in the sec tournament?

Yea I think they will. That 2012 team probably underachieved for the most part and winning the SEC Tournament really saved Stallings from some heat. If you remember they started out preseason #7 in the nation, but then Ezeli got suspended and they lost some games early. They finished 25-11 (10-6). Very doable for this year's team. The 2012 team had more senior leadership but this year's team is much deeper.

I think this year's team has top 15 potential. They'll start out right around top 25 if they aren't in it to begin. The roster just looks gaudy for Vandy fans: they'll have shooters at the 1-4 positions no matter the lineup, and inside there's three 7 footers along with a 6'10" freshman, who I hope redshirts.

GoDores
07-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Was definitely thinking Kornet as our breakout guy too. He's gonna breakout like Dan Langhi did his Jr. year!

(i only mention Langhi because he's a comparable player to Luke)

If Luke Kornet turns into Dan Langhi.... :drool: :towel:
:jaw:

VandyChuck
07-09-2015, 07:25 PM
All about guts with this and most Vanderbilt basketball teams. We've had the skill, we've had the shooters, just lacked the guts in big game moments...the 2012 crew kind of lacked a killer instinct. Still too early to tell with these guys if they have it, but the talent is certainly there to do well.

GoDores
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about with Wade. He's got it. The team needs to feed off his mentality.

kentubbybasketball
07-12-2015, 09:25 PM
X, you mentioned the SEC title game of 2012 earlier. Vandy is showing a replay on SECN. If anybody ever thinks UK pays the refs watch that game. Davis, MKG, and Wiltjer were all in foul trouble with 12 mins left. We should've won that game. I forgot how much we were gambling on D in that game.