LSU freshman: 'I think we'll win the national championship [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU freshman: 'I think we'll win the national championship

XPS
07-02-2015, 02:40 PM
There's no lack of confidence from the three, but Blakeney got straight to the point. I think well win the national championship, he said. In response to a follow-up question about whether he was hopeful the Tigers would be competitive, he repeated himself.

I think were going to win the national championship.

It's not hard to fathom these three players in particular leading the charge to the school's fifth Final Four appearance. LSU has already built an entire marketing campaign to sell its season tickets around Simmons, a 6-10 power forward and the No. 1 player in the 2015 recruiting class. It's drawn comparisons to the one Memphis used to celebrate the arrival of Derrick Rose in 2007, but Simmons said Wednesday that he didn't feel the same pressure.

Im fine with that, he said via The Advocate. I have one goal on the court, and thats to win. If Im focused on that, everything else will take care of itself. I try to not let anything like that get to me.

LSU's incoming trio of top 50 prospects met the Baton Rouge media for the first time on Wednesday and left them with little doubt about the team's intentions this winter.

Ben Simmons, former Louisville commit Antonio Blakeney and Brandon Sampson have been on campus at LSU for almost a month now taking classes and working individually but they are in agreement on their common goal to get LSU its first national title.

Sampson, a 6-4 shooting guard who had previously committed to St. John's before flipping to the Tigers, mentioned that having other top prospects in Simmons and Blakeney by his side made managing Tigers fans' high expectations a little easier.

The expectations are going to be high because we have three top-50 players coming in. But we have each others back, so its not like all the pressure is on one guy.

Are they all talking a title run, though? Not just yet, says Sampson.

"I think we can be really good if we continue to work hard and set our minds right and be humble.

I will say this, Ben Simmons is definitely a top 2 pick in next years draft.

TexasFight
07-02-2015, 02:45 PM
You never know. I imagine John Calipari has had some scruples in the past, so anything is possible. Maybe.

Probably not.

XPS
07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
This has nothing to do with Cal. LSU should be a top25 team and have one of the best players in the country.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
They have some talent down there and brought in a great class. One thing about basketball is one good recruiting class can change a team in a hurry. I'm hoping Newman, Weatherspoon and Holman bring that mentality to MSU.

XPS
07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
NC you re right. what's in Miss St's favor is Ben has took teams to the final 4 multiple times. If LSU would have brought back one of Micky or Martin I could see Top 10 team.
I personally think Jones is Dale Brown 2.0 and that doesn't bold well for LSU.

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 11:31 AM
What's he supposed to say? I'd be disappointed if our guys didn't say the same. Believe it and make it happen.

What Ben Simmons said about UK ticked me off much more.

As to what Blakeney said, their coaching has to get better. Losing to that Auburn team with what they had last year was bad. The coaching decisions at the end were a mirage of Johnny Jones' career there. He does have some talent. If Robertson has gotten in better shape he will solidify the five for them, their only weak position. I do like their roster. I mean who else has a 6'10 point guard in Ben Simmons and another 6'7 one in Tim Quarterman?

XPS
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Kt , I'm glad Simmons said what he said, more motivation and bullitin board material.

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Definitely but of Tyler Ulis and Charles Matthews (2 Chicago tough kids) need that as motivation I'd be surprised. Ulis has lost one game in his career. Blakeney nor Simmons will not unravel that guy. Plus, LSU is coming here next year. They'll be a nice big blue welcome.

XPS
07-04-2015, 01:26 PM
No doubt, Tyler won't need any motivation. How do you see LSU next year Kt?

kentubbybasketball
07-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I think they will be top 3. Maybe a logjam on the perimeter that forces them to play "smallish but again they're wings are very long. Losing Martin and Mickey may hurt early. They'll be with UK, TAMU, and Vandy at the top imo.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Did I miss it in the article? What did Ben say about UK?

NCMISSSTFAN
07-06-2015, 02:13 PM
XPS I agree, and I like when freshman come in with that mentality...UK, Syracuse, Kansas, UNC and Duke etc...have all shown that some good young talent can take you far.

NCMISSSTFAN
07-06-2015, 02:22 PM
But I really like that there is the talent spread out like this across the league. Mississippi State, Texas A&M, LSU, Vandy, Auburn, UT, of course UK..have all brought in some great talent...to include some coaching changes for some. I'm excited about MSU and the SEC as a whole this year

kentubbybasketball
07-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Did I miss it in the article? What did Ben say about UK?
Basically that he didn't want to be at UK where he'd be just another guy expected to win a title. I don't want to here that from anybody that went to Montverde.

LSUTigers1404
07-21-2015, 01:26 AM
For a long time, basketball has simply been that sport in between football and baseball at LSU. Let's see if these kids can change that.

kentubbybasketball
07-21-2015, 02:29 PM
They WILL NOT change it. If they have a tremendous year and then go to the NBA, do you honestly think LSU fans would care about basketball in 2017? I mean, John Brady just went to the final four in 2006 and yall fired him midseason three years later partially due to apathy.

LSUTigers1404
07-22-2015, 01:38 AM
They WILL NOT change it. If they have a tremendous year and then go to the NBA, do you honestly think LSU fans would care about basketball in 2017? I mean, John Brady just went to the final four in 2006 and yall fired him midseason three years later partially due to apathy.

Nope, personally I can't see basketball ever reaching the level of popularity of the other 2 sports. They would have to pull in these recruits year in and year out and win at a high level every season.

kentubbybasketball
07-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Jones wouldn't have to recruit at such a high level, but he would have to win regardless. You don't have to have 5 stars like Martin, Simmons, and Blakeney. Plenty of coaches would "settle" for four stars like Mickey and Quarterman. However, when you have that kind of talent and can't close games out people do question your coaching. Cal respects Jones, because obviously Jones was the interim coach at Memphis the year before Cal took over. So, if Cal defends the guy, I guess I have to take Cal on his word, but Jones had me scratching my head some two years ago, and even his teams at North Texas left stuff on the table often, then how they couldn't close out Auburn this past season was it for me.

LSUTigers1404
07-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Jones wouldn't have to recruit at such a high level, but he would have to win regardless. You don't have to have 5 stars like Martin, Simmons, and Blakeney. Plenty of coaches would "settle" for four stars like Mickey and Quarterman. However, when you have that kind of talent and can't close games out people do question your coaching. Cal respects Jones, because obviously Jones was the interim coach at Memphis the year before Cal took over. So, if Cal defends the guy, I guess I have to take Cal on his word, but Jones had me scratching my head some two years ago, and even his teams at North Texas left stuff on the table often, then how they couldn't close out Auburn this past season was it for me.

Yea, I can't really argue with any of that. The Auburn loss was mind numbing.