UK lands Stud guard!!!! Jamal Murray [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UK lands Stud guard!!!! Jamal Murray

XPS
06-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Finally some good news for UK in recruiting. The sky is the limit for Murray who I think is the best guard in the class in my opinion. He reclassified, he is 6-5 and exactly what UK needed, a stud in ever way imaginable. If some of you watched the hoops summit game he was unstoppable vs USA. I very excited to say the least.

kentubbybasketball
06-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Glad to have him. I told you to keep the faith, X. I do think this gives us the best backcourt in college hoops. It's a guards game in THE NBA and college now. I would like to get another big.

I agree about guards, but Briscoe might think he's better. With Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray you have 3 ballhandlers and point guards on the court. Plus, Matthews plays well with Ulis. MULDER is a great shooter. He might be my fave player. I think he is an athlete. Let's get another big, or Willis needs to step up.

I want Ben Simmons now that he's called UK out btw.

kentubbybasketball
06-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Canada has been great to us. Trey Lyles! Mychal Mulder! Jamal Murray!!!

XPS
06-24-2015, 06:54 PM
If UK could land another big for depth,
that would be great. UK is definitely loaded in the back court, get Skal eligible and boom.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-25-2015, 07:18 AM
Great late pickup. I personally like when UK is loaded like this, this kid is talented and has played with some talented guys over there in Canada, including Thon Maker.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 07:56 AM
Finally some good news for UK in recruiting. The sky is the limit for Murray who I think is the best guard in the class in my opinion. He reclassified, he is 6-5 and exactly what UK needed, a stud in ever way imaginable. If some of you watched the hoops summit game he was unstoppable vs USA. I very excited to say the least.

Every team would love to have UK's "issues" in recruiting...lol

XPS
06-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Every team would love to have UK's "issues" in recruiting...lol

cal definitely has me spoiled.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:48 AM
cal definitely has me spoiled.

It is understandable..lol

GoDores
06-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Good, I was hoping Kentucky would be good competition for Vandy this year.

Dr.SwineSmeller
06-25-2015, 12:51 PM
This kiddo should be good for another second place finish in the NCAA's before he leaves for the NBA after one season at UK.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Great late pickup. I personally like when UK is loaded like this, this kid is talented and has played with some talented guys over there in Canada, including Thon Maker.

I do, too. LOL

Murray spilled the beans that Tai Wynyard might be coming in December, too, which is something we've known is a possibility. He could be that extra big that I was talking about us needing. Wynyard is another international guy (as you can tell by the name). He's the guy that had that crazy dunk over the Gonzaga commit last week that was all over the Internet. Think of him as unlike our typical centers. Guys like Noel, KAT, WCS, Ant were all athletic marvels. Wynyard is more in the mold of Josh Harrellson or even Demarcus Cousins, where he's a banger in the post that uses his body to score perhaps using angles to score under the rim. It'll be a nice change for us to go with the athletes we have in Skal, Lee, and Poy.

NC, it'll be interesting to see he and Newman going against each other. Both are wired to score. I'll go ahead and say it before somebody else does... "there's only one ball, how can all these point guards play together at UK?" Fortunately, Briscoe (think Chauncey Billups type build) and Murray can play out on the wing due to their size. Also, I think you'll see us space the floor a lot. We will beat people off the bounce, and once inside with the ball the handler will have several options (lob for a dunk if the opposing big steps up, kick out to anybody on the perimeter depending on where extra help comes from). The great thing about kick outs with this team is anybody else can then take their man off the bounce. Somebody is going to have to keep Briscoe out of the paint and that's not easy, especially if you're a slower 6'7 or 6'8 type three. This will be the dribble drive that Cal popularized at Memphis.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Bleacher Report put out an article yesterday saying that UK is the 4th most likely team to run away with its conference title next year and that was before Murray's commitment. What do you think about that, NC.

Personally, I'm not too sure I believe that completely. Now, I do think UK will win the league maybe by about 2 or 3 games. However, running away could be termed differently by different people. While I do like TAMU's talent a lot (they will be deep enough to run their own platoons), I do wonder about their offense some. But, defensively they'll be good. This UGA group has been second or third in the SEC the last couple of years, so they know how to win (if Maten can really replace Thornton and Djurisic's scoring, watch out). LSU has unbelievable talent. The center position could be a position of weakness, and the coaching is somewhat questionable at times IMO. I think Mississippi State is probably in that next group behind UK, TAMU, LSU, and UGA. There's enough good teams that nobody will go undefeated in the SEC this year IMO (like Florida did last year and we did this year).

NCMISSSTFAN
06-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Good post KT. In response to your first post, that would be a question that a lot of teams would ask which is how are all these great guards going to be happy. But as I've said before, Cal is one of only a few coaches who could make this work, he has done it year in and year out with the best talent in the country. The only thing I would like to see a little less of from him is the platoon he did last season, I know its hard to do at a school like UK where the 12th guy on the bench could probably start for most teams, but I think a solid 9 guys should consistently be in the rotation. One of the new guards you mentioned was Briscoe, I've seen a lot of highlights of him and the thing that stands out to me is his composure, his confidence and the fact the he can score fluidly with either hand.......Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up85nFINio It took me the longest time to figure out if he was left handed or right handed. He's a bruiser type PG too and like you said he can play some 2 also.

I personally can't wait to see that group of UK guards vs ours with Newman, Sword, Weatherspoon and Ready. Its been a long time since I felt we had the talent and depth to at least compete with this type of team.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Bleacher Report put out an article yesterday saying that UK is the 4th most likely team to run away with its conference title next year and that was before Murray's commitment. What do you think about that, NC.

Personally, I'm not too sure I believe that completely. Now, I do think UK will win the league maybe by about 2 or 3 games. However, running away could be termed differently by different people. While I do like TAMU's talent a lot (they will be deep enough to run their own platoons), I do wonder about their offense some. But, defensively they'll be good. This UGA group has been second or third in the SEC the last couple of years, so they know how to win (if Maten can really replace Thornton and Djurisic's scoring, watch out). LSU has unbelievable talent. The center position could be a position of weakness, and the coaching is somewhat questionable at times IMO. I think Mississippi State is probably in that next group behind UK, TAMU, LSU, and UGA. There's enough good teams that nobody will go undefeated in the SEC this year IMO (like Florida did last year and we did this year).

To be honest KT I'm not sure I completely believe that either. I think Arkansas will be good this year, Texas A&M brings in a very good class, LSU has a great class and a few returning guys, I like MSU's class and returning veterans and I also like Georgia and UT (I like Barnes) this year. UK will surely be the favorites but I don't know if they run away with it this season.....the league as a whole just seems more talented this season, especially with all the top recruits we have coming in

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Good post KT. In response to your first post, that would be a question that a lot of teams would ask which is how are all these great guards going to be happy. But as I've said before, Cal is one of only a few coaches who could make this work, he has done it year in and year out with the best talent in the country. The only thing I would like to see a little less of from him is the platoon he did last season, I know its hard to do at a school like UK where the 12th guy on the bench could probably start for most teams, but I think a solid 9 guys should consistently be in the rotation. One of the new guards you mentioned was Briscoe, I've seen a lot of highlights of him and the thing that stands out to me is his composure, his confidence and the fact the he can score fluidly with either hand.......Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up85nFINio It took me the longest time to figure out if he was left handed or right handed. He's a bruiser type PG too and like you said he can play some 2 also.

I personally can't wait to see that group of UK guards vs ours with Newman, Sword, Weatherspoon and Ready. Its been a long time since I felt we had the talent and depth to at least compete with this type of team.

The platoons are done. With Murray we do have a 10th player and technically we could fit them into two groups where all the positions are virtually covered (although we're about positionless basketball). However, Cal is more comfortable with a 7 guy rotation honestly. My concern is that if any of our bigs get in foul trouble, it could do us in. We need another big IMO.

I'm definitely excited about Briscoe. You can't keep him out of the lane. He has an NBA type body already. A smaller defender will get abused, and I think a bigger defender might not be quick enough to stay with him. Ultimately the good thing about having guards (among many) is that we should take care of the ball better than most teams.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
To be honest KT I'm not sure I completely believe that either. I think Arkansas will be good this year, Texas A&M brings in a very good class, LSU has a great class and a few returning guys, I like MSU's class and returning veterans and I also like Georgia and UT (I like Barnes) this year. UK will surely be the favorites but I don't know if they run away with it this season.....the league as a whole just seems more talented this season, especially with all the top recruits we have coming in

I'm not seeing it with Arkansas this year. Losing Portis and Qualls is going to sting and I'm not confident in the returnees to really step up enough. And, while UT returns everybody but Richardson, I'm not confident in them at all. If Kasongo can help out inside and if Hubbs finally plays like he did at the high school level, Barnes is a good enough coach to coax a better finish out of them than they should have on paper, but I think Vandy will be better than both Arkansas and UT next year if you're looking at that next tier.

XPS
06-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Going to be some very intriguing match ups next year, I really expect UK and Vandy to be the top two next year.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 06:49 PM
XPS, don't say that. You can't compliment Vandy without their fans acting entitled, which is why I briefly mentioned them. Lol

XPS
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
XPS, don't say that. You can't compliment Vandy without their fans acting entitled, which is why I briefly mentioned them. Lol

Lol, my bad kt ��