NBA Draft 2015 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft 2015

NCMISSSTFAN
06-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I know there will be a lot of SEC guys (particularly UK guys), who will get drafted. But I've watched a lot of Karl-Anthony Towns workouts lately and have listened to GM's discuss him and I'm getting more impressed by the day. One of his workouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkK1xY3xSkc

kentubbybasketball
06-24-2015, 02:01 PM
It's definitely going to be fun to see our UK superstars get drafted. 7 would be a record from what I understand. We want a player on every team! That's getting close to happening, especially if all 7 of these guys make it and on different teams.

Look at Cal's impact. He's had virtually 7 #1 draft picks since 2008. Derrick Rose, John Wall, Anthony Davis, and tomorrow night hopefully Karl-Anthony Towns. Then, you factor in Michael Kidd-Gilchrist who was the second pick behind his own teammate; that's five top picks. Nerlens Noel would have gone #1 had he not gotten injured. Then, you have Skal Labissierre waiting in the wings for next year. That's sensational! It's like Cal is running a billion dollar conglomerate with all these future NBA stars! Fantastic!

I hope the twins and Dakari latch on somewhere. They are all winners. All three never played a season that didn't end with a final four, so they are the ultimate winners. WCS was the best player in the SEC this year, should've been SEC POY. Devin Booker might be the best shooter in the draft, he runs the floor well, and gets ahead of the D. Trey Lyles is just a smart guy that can guard any position. KAT is KAT!

NCMISSSTFAN
06-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Well that's been one of Cal's selling points, he has turned UK into a virtual NBA mill and what kid wouldn't want that.

kentubbybasketball
06-24-2015, 04:06 PM
It'll be neat to see how next year's team fares with the draft. We only have 9 guys on the roster. No platoons next year. We aren't as talented but college basketball as a while will be down. UK, Duke, and Wisconsin from this past season would all be rank above UNC or Maryland this year imo.

Dawgilicious
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
A few guys will be on my mind to see when and where they go (What situation they get put into). A wrong selection to make a guy a #1 and his career might not be what it could be

Dawgilicious
06-24-2015, 04:08 PM
When I asked Trey Lyles if he's headed to the Knicks, his Kentucky teammates Karl Anthony Towns & Devin Booker smiled and nodded.

That would be interesting

kentubbybasketball
06-24-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure why that's interesting. Phil was here to watch Trey and the entire team which was huge. I think the Arkansas game, which is when Trey really took it to the next level.

Trey and Ulis are the reasons the platoons worked. Ulis obviously gave you a PG for the second platoon. Lyles being able to guard threes was also huge. You can put a 5'11 guy on him and you can't shake him. Same with WCS honestly.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure why that's interesting. Phil was here to watch Trey and the entire team which was huge. I think the Arkansas game, which is when Trey really took it to the next level.

Trey and Ulis are the reasons the platoons worked. Ulis obviously gave you a PG for the second platoon. Lyles being able to guard threes was also huge. You can put a 5'11 guy on him and you can't shake him. Same with WCS honestly.

Because if the Knicks take him at 4 it would send somebody down that was projected to be a top 4 pick. I like the guy as a player but is his upside higher than the guys projected for the top 5?

Storm
06-25-2015, 09:19 AM
I won't be shocked if Phil trades the pick

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 10:04 AM
If Karl-Anthony Towns, of Dominican Republic descent, goes No. 1 in tonight's draft, he'll be the first Latino player to go No. 1 in the NBA. He will be just the 5th Latino taken No. 1 in any of the 4 major sports drafts (3 in MLB, 1 in NFL).

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Because if the Knicks take him at 4 it would send somebody down that was projected to be a top 4 pick. I like the guy as a player but is his upside higher than the guys projected for the top 5?

I don't know, and nobody else does either. That's why the draft is a crapshoot. But, I would venture to argue that Trey Lyles could be the best power forward in this entire class, depending on where you think KAT plays. Who else is a surefire better pro than Trey Lyles at the next level at that position?

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:19 PM
If Karl-Anthony Towns, of Dominican Republic descent, goes No. 1 in tonight's draft, he'll be the first Latino player to go No. 1 in the NBA. He will be just the 5th Latino taken No. 1 in any of the 4 major sports drafts (3 in MLB, 1 in NFL).

Speaking of which, he could go #1 in the NBA draft (and should), but he only went like 5th or 6th in the Dominican draft a few months back. lol

Ultimately for us that are fans of KAT, it's not about being the top pick. It's about how good of a person he really is. You'd be hardpressed to find a better person to have come thru the UK basketball program ever. The things he does for sick people are just mindblowing considering the time commitment he's always had on him. He's really a beautiful person. He will be a better pro than he ever was at UK. His best days are ahead for sure. Some guys top out after four yhears of college. This guy hasn't even scratched the surface of how good he can be. I mean, just think about how phenomenal he'll be once he learns how to better channel his energy on D. That's his one (minor) weakness. He can be overaggressive on D and get in foul trouble at times. However, much like WCS, people who only say KAT during games, have no idea how versatile his offensive game really is.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 01:27 PM
I have nothing against the guy, besides going to UK, and I hope he is a great person cause the NBA needs more than just good players in the league. If he makes the image better I have no problem with it at all. Better person makes you a better player

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 01:34 PM
You can do much worse in your life than going to UK. The visits he makes to people who are sick and the autographed stuff he sends to people that are ill just touched me this year. He told one little boy on a pair of autographed shoes that he's always welcomed at UK and a part of the team... and that's saying something considering KAT himself is gone. He realizes this game is above him, and it's his vehicle for good. I can see why people didn't like the twins (body language) or WCS (the stare downs after posterizing people), but even non-UK fans are hardpressed to find a negative about KAT's personality.

(BTW, that stuff on the twins and WCS is unfair if you really take time to watch them and get to know them. The fact that GMs are worried about WCS' foot is sad when he clearly was the best defender in all of college hoops last year and is the best defender in this draft now).

Storm
06-25-2015, 01:52 PM
looks like the NCAA will put a rule in place next year saying collegiate athletes can go through all the NBA prep and evaluations, but if they don't like what they hear they can undeclare from the draft and go back to school.

I'm surprised it took this long to put that rule in.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm not surprised Storm. The combine is going to have "2000" players at it under this rule, and that's why this has never been passed before. Not everybody needs to have the opportunity to "declare" or whatever the proper verb is under this new system. Some people it's obvious have no business going thru the process, and IMO somehow that has to be policed so that they process won't be too oversaturated or diluted IMO.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 02:42 PM
You can do much worse in your life than going to UK. The visits he makes to people who are sick and the autographed stuff he sends to people that are ill just touched me this year. He told one little boy on a pair of autographed shoes that he's always welcomed at UK and a part of the team... and that's saying something considering KAT himself is gone. He realizes this game is above him, and it's his vehicle for good. I can see why people didn't like the twins (body language) or WCS (the stare downs after posterizing people), but even non-UK fans are hardpressed to find a negative about KAT's personality.

(BTW, that stuff on the twins and WCS is unfair if you really take time to watch them and get to know them. The fact that GMs are worried about WCS' foot is sad when he clearly was the best defender in all of college hoops last year and is the best defender in this draft now).

I wasn't meaning as UK being a bad place to be or anything. They are an opponent so u know how it is

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Looks like Char is zeroing on Booker at #9 after trading for Batum

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I know. I meant to put "lol" on the end of that. I know you were joking. I feel the same way about Duke, but if I were being honest and I had a son, I'd want him to go to either UK or Duke, because those are the top two basketball schools.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Devin Booker is going to be good no matter what. This was actually the worst year for us to have him. This is the year of the shooter in the NBA. It was the perfect storm and he had to leave, but man, I wish we could have kept him around longer. He's a beautiful kid with a beautiful stroke. Being with MKG will be nice, because his big bro will take care of Book. The girls are going to be all over Booker; he better watch out for the groupies seriously.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 04:09 PM
haha...Yeah he could be in "trouble"....

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Plus he's only 18. I hope he gets some good people in his inner circle.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Karl-Anthony Towns is #1! Well-deserved. Cal said he wanted him to be the best big in the country. KAT did it!!!!

We had no top picks before Cal. Now we have three.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Not only that he's going to Minneapolis... my birthplace!

XPS
06-25-2015, 07:44 PM
So happy for Towns and Kt you are so right, well deserved.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 07:45 PM
LAL goes wit Russell. I am a Lakers fan, but you better get Cousins or one of those free agent bigs since you passed on Okafor.

ESPN pans to Okafor when the pick was called. Cruel.

XPS
06-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Russell 2nd wow, Okafor has to be thinking wth...

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Not often I disagree with Bilas but I don't think Okafor is a "far superior" low post scorer than KAT.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Lakers must be confident they are getting Aldridge, Love or Cousins. Would of rather have Okafor, but cant go wrong with Russell if we get one of the bigs in FA.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:04 PM
LOL @ that NYK kid crying.....

Storm
06-25-2015, 08:06 PM
The fact the Kings would even think about trading a player as good as Cousins to the Lakers is ridiculous. There are no real rivalries in the NBA anymore. Could you imagine in the 80's the Celtics and Lakers making a trade? Or in the 90's the Bulls and Knicks? IMO

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Wow. Phil goes with an international guy. that's unusual for Phil to do throughout his illustrious career. Toni Kukoc is the only one I can think of and that was really above Phil's head.

Porzingis says he's hungry. Bilas says he better because he's rail thin. lol

XPS
06-25-2015, 08:08 PM
The Knicks have lost there minds. That dude is a project and the Knicks instant impact.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:11 PM
The fact the Kings would even think about trading a player as good as Cousins to the Lakers is ridiculous. There are no real rivalries in the NBA anymore. Could you imagine in the 80's the Celtics and Lakers making a trade? Or in the 90's the Bulls and Knicks? IMO

Boo woo woo. Same thing we heard when we got Pau Gasol. People have their reasons for trading guys. Memphis got nothing for Pau, but at least Boogie might not be a great fit in Sactown.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Wow. Phil goes with an international guy. that's unusual for Phil to do throughout his illustrious career. Toni Kukoc is the only one I can think of and that was really above Phil's head.

LOL..>That was funny

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:13 PM

The Knicks werent going to win a title next season anyways

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:17 PM
So much for WCS dropping. #6 is fair for him. He has the most dominant skill in this draft (his defense). He said he wanted to play with his big bro Demarcus Cousins. He may get that chance. So happy for him. He thought he wasn't good enough for UK.. Yeah right, Willie. Yeah right. You were more than good enough. Fast point guards won't even be able to shake him on defense.

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:22 PM
and that is why Sacramento is terrible and well...Sacramento...lol

Dawgilicious
06-25-2015, 08:25 PM
I have nothing against WCS and his ability to defend multiple positions is def an asset to any team, idk about 6th overall...esp with guys like Mudiay and Justise out there that offer more. Now if he becomes NBA DPOY,etc....then it works out good for them. He def has to rebound more than those 6.5 per 40 min he was getting. Can he develop more offense to at least be a threat?

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Charlotte is on the clock. If you need a shooter... DEVIN BOOKER!!!!

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:36 PM
I have nothing against WCS and his ability to defend multiple positions is def an asset to any team, idk about 6th overall...esp with guys like Mudiay and Justise out there that offer more. Now if he becomes NBA DPOY,etc....then it works out good for them. He def has to rebound more than those 6.5 per 40 min he was getting. Can he develop more offense to at least be a threat?

If we knew the answers to all these questions, we'd be billionaires right? Sacramento is banking on the idea that he will. I'm not in the business of shooting down anybody. I mean, a kid is realizing a lifetime dream. Good grief. Since when his defense not valued? Maybe that's why the NBA terrible (not Sacramento.. the NBA).

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Frank Kaminsky is a good pick for Charlotte. A big shooter. Not necessarily his biggest fan, but great for him. I think he will have to get a bit tougher for the league.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:50 PM
The Pacers taking a big doesn't surprise me with all the Vogel talk of being smaller and giving Hibbert a diminished role.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Trey Lyles before Devin Booker is mildly surprising. Glad to have a third lotto pick. Trey Lyles is the guy that made us go from being a really good team to a great team. He played out on the perimeter and was not comfortable but he expanded his game. Great for him. I love this guy!!!!

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Calipari: "we gotta get Book(er) to Phoenix." Interesting. We already have Bledsoe, Knight, and Goodwin there.

kentubbybasketball
06-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Cal called it. Book to Phx!!!! 4 guys in the lotto!!!!!!! Awesome night! Go Cats!

XPS
06-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Horrible pick by Boston. Rozier is a mediocre shooter and wreakless with the ball.

Wave&Dawgs
06-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Well tubby, I guess I am an Andrew Harrison fan now. Hope he does well for the Grizz!

Dawgilicious
06-26-2015, 07:56 AM
If we knew the answers to all these questions, we'd be billionaires right? Sacramento is banking on the idea that he will. I'm not in the business of shooting down anybody. I mean, a kid is realizing a lifetime dream. Good grief. Since when his defense not valued? Maybe that's why the NBA terrible (not Sacramento.. the NBA).

I just said at 6 it isn't worth the value. You still have to offer something on offense to be a real threat and Sac has a history of either making bad draft decisions or trading away their good players i.e. Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas,etc.....At 6, it was not worth the value, top 15 I can see. Unless he is turning into an NBA DPOY for them they could of gotten a more impactful player. Thats on Sac though and they wonder why they are continously in the lottery year after year after year...lol

Dawgilicious
06-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Andrew Harrison was traded to Memphis for Jon leuer

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2015, 12:05 PM
I just said at 6 it isn't worth the value. You still have to offer something on offense to be a real threat and Sac has a history of either making bad draft decisions or trading away their good players i.e. Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas,etc.....At 6, it was not worth the value, top 15 I can see. Unless he is turning into an NBA DPOY for them they could of gotten a more impactful player. Thats on Sac though and they wonder why they are continously in the lottery year after year after year...lol

So his dunking (which will translate to the NBA) is not offering value? Maybe I'm just confused, but we get so caught up in offense. Defense still wins championships. GS had the best defense in the league this year that's often forgotten because of the offense. Willie's value on D is huge. I dare people to lay off him too not only does he have a midrange J but you lay off him, when you lob it to him, he will devastate you. Furthermore to act like he has to be the complete player because he was drafted at 6 (i.e. offense and defense) is stupid. When you get past the top two picks in this draft, none of the other picks were elite on BOTH sides of the ball. Why WCS has to be and Okafor doesnt is beyind me. I mean he went at 3 and his defense is as awful as Willie's offense (relative to the word awful).

I'm not going to argue his worth anymore. It's foolish I've done it to this point. He's a top 6 draft pick for a reason. Same reason Nerlens Noel was and his offense was "apparently" raw also. He made people who made similar comments look foolish this past season.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Not often I disagree with Bilas but I don't think Okafor is a "far superior" low post scorer than KAT.up

KT you know I respect your opinion and congrats to you guys for getting the number 1 pick....but I have to agree with Bilas..KAT is easily the best overall player in the draft and can do alot more than Okafor...but if we are talking post game, I'm taking Okafor everyday.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-26-2015, 07:20 PM

I've watched alot of highlights on him....very skilled, over 7 foot...alot of upside, but he shouldn't have gone this high and Phil should have known better. No disrespect to the International guys but who has really blown the NBA since Dirk? No one...it wasnt a smart pick IMO

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2015, 07:29 PM
up
O
KT you know I respect your opinion and congrats to you guys for getting the number 1 pick....but I have to agree with Bilas..KAT is easily the best overall player in the draft and can do alot more than Okafor...but if we are talking post game, I'm taking Okafor everyday.

I'm not arguing that but when you say "far superior post game" after what KAT did to Notre Dame you're talking something else. And, Okafor ' s post game is not far superior to KAT's. It's just not. Explain to me what limitation KAT has scoring the post???? If you're saying fat superior, KAT must be missing something to his post scoring that I missed over the course of 39 games. Do tell.

kentubbybasketball
06-26-2015, 07:30 PM
I've watched alot of highlights on him....very skilled, over 7 foot...alot of upside, but he shouldn't have gone this high and Phil should have known better. No disrespect to the International guys but who has really blown the NBA since Dirk? No one...it wasnt a smart pick IMO

I think Ginobli and Parker haven't been chopped liver.

Bama_Man
06-26-2015, 09:35 PM
I think Ginobli and Parker haven't been chopped liver.

And neither were lottery picks. Parker was the last pick in round one, Manu went in round two.

Since Dirk, Pau, and Yao Ming went in the lottery, no foreign player drafted in the lottery has made any all-star games.

I think Poszingas may be different, he has toughness which a lot of forgeiners lack, and a great, smooth stroke. But the point about competition is valid, i.e. Ricky Rubio, Darko, etc..

but some later-drafted foreign players have been, Vuvicec in Orlando stands out.

Storm
06-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Larry Nance Jr learned the hard way that stuff on social media is there forever.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in that first locker room meeting

kentubbybasketball
06-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Bobby Portis too. But, I doubt it was bad yesterday... now the first day of practice when Kobe can play...

Storm
06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
I missed Portis. What did he say?

Wave&Dawgs
06-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Tubby, educate me on Andrew Harrison. Seems like he was overshadowed by some of the other guys from UK over the past few years and from an outsider's perspective, was sometimes hard to distinguish from his brother.

It would seem like Memphis is a good fit for him as, like Kentucky, it's a team that has won over the past few years due in large part to the play of their big men and their defensive tenacity. Conley obviously has a lock on the starting PG spot, but it would be great if he could be an effective backup and provide some solid bench play for us. That's an area we have been sorely lacking in.

kentubbybasketball
06-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I missed Portis. What did he say?

He said F Gasol and thing something about DRose, too. Larry Nance's comment was much worse but Portis went after two of his now Bulls teammates.

XPS
06-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Kt, Arkansas players need learn to keep their mouth shut. Just like them talking smack when UK was doing the smacking.

kentubbybasketball
06-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Haha. I'm not touching that one, X. There's some things that you can say and get away with that I just cant. Talking about Arkansas players and fans is one of them. I will say that MK. A devoted Arkansas fan, is one of the kindest people I have ever met. So I won't judge them by a bad apple or two.

as for Andrew Harrison. He has the requisite size for an NBA point guard. He is a willing passer, although he can get his own offense. He is the most competitive guy we've had come thru UK in a long time. Sometimes people use that against him as if he has poor body language. He just wants to win and he does. He won in HS and really big a UK. Only 3 point guards in history have won 38 games in a college season: DRose, Marquis Teague, and Andrew Harrison. Harrison isn't the quickest but I think he could really invert your offense and post up. He can get inside and rebound if you tell him to. And, when a game is on the line, I want him on my team. He makes winning plays. He's as clutch as his brother but doesn't get credit because he wasn't taking the shots although he was setting it all up. I will miss him next year. He's a steal at 44.