Jon Rothstein SEC power rankings [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Jon Rothstein SEC power rankings

XPS
06-08-2015, 03:43 PM
CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein is doing an excellent job filling in for Matt on KSR this morning, and so far, the show has been a much-needed fix for us college basketball junkies. Rothstein even gave KSR an exclusive today, unveiling his SEC Power Rankings. As you might expect, Kentucky’s still at the top:

1. Kentucky
2. Texas A&M
3. Vanderbilt
4. Mississippi State
5. LSU
6. Georgia
7. Florida
8. South Carolina
9. Ole Miss
10. Auburn
11. Arkansas
12. Alabama
13. Tennessee
14. Missouri

“Kentucky will still be the anchor of the league,” Rothstein said, emphasizing the impact Alex Poythress will have next season. He’s also pushing his chips in on Texas A&M, putting him second in his rankings.

“I firmly believe that Billy Kennedy has the best 10-man rotation in the SEC,” Rothstein said. “I think Texas A&M is a bonafide Top 25 team.”

In a refreshing move, Rothstein only put LSU fifth despite the additions of elite 2015 prospects Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney.

“They’ve lost Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey. That’s something people need to look at. With [Martin and Mickey], they lost to Auburn twice and didn’t win an NCAA Tournament game,” Rothstein argued. “Talent is not an issue, but how they play, chemistry…there’s a lot of question marks.”

Wave&Dawgs
06-09-2015, 08:59 AM
First time in 4 years I haven't had to scroll down to the bottom to see MSU's name on a power ranking list! :rotf:

Feels good.

MizzouRAH417
06-10-2015, 01:15 PM
It's crazy, never would have thought in a million years Missouri would be bottom of the barrel in basketball. and it all changed so quickly, starting with mike anderson leaving, had a great year haith year 1, all down hill since.

I have faith and trust in CKA, but he's got his work cut out for him.

b12 basketball, while they field some good teams, are no where near the physical bodies of the SEC, that every team has.

kentubbybasketball
06-10-2015, 07:41 PM
The SEC is definitely underrated. Then when you get in the league people are like "wow." Coached say the same thing. The best example is UGA. People don't respect them but then they play them and realize Fox has an adjustment for everything. I mean literally everything.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-10-2015, 09:54 PM
I do like our team alot this year and expect to be in the top half. We went 13-19 last season, but even with that being said there were alot of close losses, or games we let get away late in the game. We bring back alot of experience and an All SEC guard in Sword. Adding a top 15 recruiting class to that along with Howland gives me confidence about the upcoming season. But I do think the rest of the SEC is getting better as well so no games will be gimmie's.

kentubbybasketball
06-11-2015, 07:40 PM
It's awesome for you NC. I'm happy you can enjoy good recruiting again. Obviously learning from UK, great recruiting classes don't guarantee anything. They have gotten us in the door to compete for the national title all but one year so there is that. I'll be interested to see how much of the UCLA experience was a learning experience for your coach. In some ways he was too much of a players coach and in others he wasn't enough of one.

msudawg4life
06-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Hopefully he has used it as a learning expierence....that has what he has said so far. In his first press conf when he was announced he said just that. He also talked about what he learned during the period of time between coaching at UCLA and accepting the job at MSU. Like you said...time will tell and all we can do is wait and see. For our (MSU Fan's) sake I hope he has learned and it HAS made him a better coach. It is def exciting to see MSU getting some good recruits that will bring a much better product to the floor then what we have had lately.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-12-2015, 11:43 AM
It's awesome for you NC. I'm happy you can enjoy good recruiting again. Obviously learning from UK, great recruiting classes don't guarantee anything. They have gotten us in the door to compete for the national title all but one year so there is that. I'll be interested to see how much of the UCLA experience was a learning experience for your coach. In some ways he was too much of a players coach and in others he wasn't enough of one.

I agree with that, I'm hoping he has learned and can lead this team to some success! IMO during the mid and late 2000's, the SEC as a whole just seemed more competitive and simply better to watch when we had multiple teams that were talented and there weren't many gimmie games. During those times UK, Bama, LSU, Arky, MSU, FLA, UT and Vandy seemed to all have stacked teams and made the SEC as a whole so tough. Since those days the only teams who have consistently been on top has been UK and FLA.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Hopefully he has used it as a learning expierence....that has what he has said so far. In his first press conf when he was announced he said just that. He also talked about what he learned during the period of time between coaching at UCLA and accepting the job at MSU. Like you said...time will tell and all we can do is wait and see. For our (MSU Fan's) sake I hope he has learned and it HAS made him a better coach. It is def exciting to see MSU getting some good recruits that will bring a much better product to the floor then what we have had lately.

Agreed. What were your thoughts on Ray? Do you feel he was given enough time?

msudawg4life
06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Ray took us to where he could take us....I don't think he ever would be able to land the bigger recruits that we would of needed to climb out of the lower third of the SEC Standings...great guy...great hire to put our program back on the track it needed to be on.

Bama_Man
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
The mid 2000's were the golden age of SEC basketball IMO. You had Florida consistently national title contenders, UK was always a threat aside from the Billy G years, Alabama was a very good program under Gottfried, Tennessee was ranked #1 and had some great teams, etc...

kentubbybasketball
06-12-2015, 05:17 PM
[/B]

I agree with that, I'm hoping he has learned and can lead this team to some success! IMO during the mid and late 2000's, the SEC as a whole just seemed more competitive and simply better to watch when we had multiple teams that were talented and there weren't many gimmie games. During those times UK, Bama, LSU, Arky, MSU, FLA, UT and Vandy seemed to all have stacked teams and made the SEC as a whole so tough. Since those days the only teams who have consistently been on top has been UK and FLA.

FWIW, I like it better with UK and UF dominating personally. I think it's cool to have 7 or 8 programs in the hunt in any given year, but the SEC is always seen as "better" if UF and UK are at the top. It's best for business to use a WWE line.

That said, NC, I don't see the argument that Ray would have never gotten the recruits that some of your fans same. It's just not true. If I hear another MSU fan brag about their recruiting class, it's gonna drive me crazy. Did Ray land Weatherspoon or not? That is a bigger recruit. I think it's a misrepresentation of the FACTS, and a clear sign that Ray still doesn't get the respect he deserves. Howland better win, or else some MSU fans will turn on him in 3 years too.

MKfromPA
06-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Interesting rankings, IMO, to say the least.

I agree with UK at the top. A&M has the potential to be great, too. I might even believe it if someone said LSU could finish in the Top 3 or 4. That is a program continuing to make strides. The recruiting is solid, too.

I don't know what to expect for the Hogs. Ark loses some big players, but does that automatically seal them to bottom tier of the league? I don't know.

Also, UT & Mizzou at the bottom? Wow.

msudawg4life
06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
That said, NC, I don't see the argument that Ray would have never gotten the recruits that some of your fans same. It's just not true. If I hear another MSU fan brag about their recruiting class, it's gonna drive me crazy. Did Ray land Weatherspoon or not? That is a bigger recruit. I think it's a misrepresentation of the FACTS, and a clear sign that Ray still doesn't get the respect he deserves. Howland better win, or else some MSU fans will turn on him in 3 years too.

You say this like the one recruit Ray got was going to push us into the same position that we are in now with the other 2 4* and 5* recruits that Howland has brought in. On top of that Weatherspoon had decommitted when Howland was hired and had started looking elsewhere so Howland had to basiclly recruit him as well. FACTS are Ray had us nowhere near sniffing the same spot as Howland already does and he hasn't even stepped on the court. An quit with this turn after 3 years crap...fans at ALL universities get tired of a coach if he fails to put the product on the court that fans think should be out there. What are your predictions for your UK boys this year?

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Since we are focusing on FACTS, let's admit that you can't deny that Ray did bring in Weatherspoon. Whether Howland had to re-rrcruit him or not is a different conversation for another time. Who knows what Ray would have done given a fair chance with recruiting. The pendulum was clearly swinging toward him upping recruiting there each year (Weatherspoon is an example of that). As you sat Howland hasn't stepped on court yet. When recruits see his plodding style and pr*ckly manner on the sidelines he'll have questions from parents to answer. He'd be one of the last SEC coaches I'd encourage my son to play for.

And, what was your three or four year plan after the mess that was there after Stansbury left? If you can't see that your program had been stabilized, I guess I'm done with this conversation because there's no need to continue in it. It's not like a Gillispie situation at UK where he had to go after 2 years because of drinking and his social excursions. Ray put accountability in your program and made it a respectable entity again. We'll see if Howland tears in back down like he did in flames at UCLA. Ultimately wins matter more than players fighting in stands (Stans) or players peeing on teammates stuff (Howland). Those are the FACTS.

NCMISSSTFAN
06-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Ray vs. Howland thing, but I will say that I wasn't a fan of the way Ray was fired and I truly felt that he was beginning to right the ship, especially in recruiting. He did have 4* Weatherspoon signed and also had a commit from 4* D'marcus Simmonds (SP) for 2016. I truly think he had a shot of Malik Newman too, but know one knows what would have happened there. But for his sake, I am glad he got another head coaching job!

That being said, Howland is here now and as an MSU fan I have to give him a fair shot regardless of whatever negative stuff he had in his past. (There's a lot of positive stuff to though). And so far he has impressed me, especially on the recruiting trail. He has landed 4 and 5 star guys immediately and has changed the perception of the program in only a few short months. Just look at a guy like Aric Holman, he's a late blooming 4* kid who is from Kentucky. Louisville wanted him to take a year in prep school first, but Howland saw what a lot of schools are seeing now and grabbed him up for 2015. He just had 21 points and 8 rebs the other night in the Kentucky vs. Indiana annual high school game. He also just landed a 4 star PG out of Louisiana Lamar Peters. And the common thing that all recruits are saying is that Howland gets kids to the NBA. That alone has brought some credibility to Howland and MSU that we simply didn't have before. I just hope the other things fall in line and we can become successful again.

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Exactly, NC. Ray had turned the corner in recruiting. I respect your opinion, and I hope Howland brings the goods for you.

msudawg4life
06-16-2015, 05:02 PM
I give it to Ray...he did have Weatherspoon coming..not sure where you read where I or anyone else said he didn't or wasn't. I never tried to take that away from Ray. But I still don't think he had TURNED the corner....he may have got the wheel turning the right way but he had not completed the turn....who knows...3-4 years from now he may have...who knows. I just don't understand how it's ok to assume Ray was going to complete that turn and get MSU back where the fanbase wants them and then in the same post not even give Howland a chance at all based on coaching in a different stage of his career...You had him pegged as Satan from day one and post like Rick R has a coach we should never of let go of because he was so great..I always like Ray as a coach because of how he was as a person...but never for how he coached..for all we know this was in God's plans for Rick Ray to better his career.. and Howland may become a great coach and not be at all like he was in his past. Which is something he has said...he admits he needed to learn some things and thats why he stayed out of coaching...but it's all good...keep casting those stones.

On a different subject...how do you all think the SEC will perform this year compaired to previous years....On the rise? Decline? Steady?

kentubbybasketball
06-16-2015, 06:50 PM
The point has never been Ray shouldn't have ever been fired. However, he did deserve more than three years against a huge rebuild. It's okay I'm sure when hired Stricklin told him he'd only get 3 yrs. Nobody would've won enough there in 3 years.

As for Satan, those are your words. I don't need them attributed to me. That said, Ray brought class that will be hard for Howland to reach... doubt that matters though since Howland has gotten four four or five stars players.

msudawg4life
06-17-2015, 11:44 AM
The point has never been Ray shouldn't have ever been fired. However, he did deserve more than three years against a huge rebuild. It's okay I'm sure when hired Stricklin told him he'd only get 3 yrs. Nobody would've won enough there in 3 years.

As for Satan, those are your words. I don't need them attributed to me. That said, Ray brought class that will be hard for Howland to reach... doubt that matters though since Howland has gotten four four or five stars players.

Haha...yea Satan may of been a bit of a reach..lol..my bad.

kentubbybasketball
06-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Look. You know I look up to you like an older brother, and you'd never say anything to make me dislike you or not respect your opinion. I think it's nice to have differing opinions. Bro, yours is always respected. I actually don't dislike Howland as much as it might seem, and I don't like Ray ad much as it seems. It just doesn't seem fair how it went down in a sense. I know life isn't always fair.

msudawg4life
06-17-2015, 04:34 PM
I just never had the feeling Ray could raise the program to the next level(where Rick Stans had it at one point or above)...and that may be partially because he hasn't had much expierence and hasn't had a chance to do that anywhere else. And to me that does seem kinda unfair that he was put into that position and that happened to him. But in the same sense I am a fan and as fans we get impatient...it sucks Ray took over when MSU was where it was...BUT as I think about it...if it wasn't THERE...would he of even received the chance to come in and BE the head coach? I believe he did the best he could do with the position he was placed in. I'm not going to sit here and say he WOULDN'T of ever got it where I'd like to see it...BUT in my gut i just didn't feel he would. I do believe he took lemons out of the situation and made lemonaide...he most def bettered his stock IMO and teams down the road will look at his stop at MSU as a success... the SEC is a tough place to recruit...and you almost HAVE to have that big name and history that comes along with you to make a big impact. Howland has that..even it it may have a few pot holes along the way...he HAS done it...he HAS pulled in the players to raise programs to the next level. WILL he do it as MSU...he certainly has put a good foot forward since he has been on campus and made it appear he's got things on the up and up...time will tell.

kentubbybasketball
06-17-2015, 05:02 PM
That's the thing, knowing the mess that Ray did not contribute to it seems a little selfish and shortsighted on Stricklin's part to basically just use Ray. Granted Ray got paid, but the MSU job post Stans was just going to swallow up whoever was the next coach, given only three years was going to be the tops of the patience level.

msudawg4life
06-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Yea....no arguement from me that is didn't seem FAIR to Ray...but..it was an opportunity for him and I think he made the best of it. that's JMHO.....It seems like Croom was the same way...brought it to stabalize the ship.

Wave&Dawgs
06-18-2015, 08:18 PM
I'll say one thing, the Howland/Ray thing has been great for this board. It's been like the only heated discussion this offseason. :rotf: