SEC Announces new scheduling format [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : SEC Announces new scheduling format

Dawgilicious
05-28-2015, 07:55 PM
For some conferences, the task of putting together a schedule has become a bit more cumbersome thanks to conference realignment with the size of the league ruling out the possibility of every team playing each other twice. With that being the case adjustments need to be made, and for the SEC this means a new scheduling format that was revealed at the conference’s annual meetings in Destin, Florida on Thursday.

While the number of conference games each team plays, 18, will not change the setup for the schedules has changed. In total each team will play five opponents both home and away with three of those being “permanent” opponents that they’ll see twice a year every season. They’ll face the other eight teams on the schedule just once, with four of those games being home contests and four coming on the road.

Alabama – Auburn / Mississippi State / LSU
Arkansas – Missouri / Texas A&M / LSU
Auburn – Alabama / Ole Miss / Georgia
Florida – Kentucky / Georgia / Vanderbilt
Georgia – South Carolina / Florida / Auburn
Kentucky – Florida / Tennessee / Vanderbilt
LSU – Texas A&M / Alabama / Arkansas
Ole Miss – Mississippi State / Auburn / Missouri
Mississippi State – Ole Miss / Alabama / South Carolina
Missouri – Arkansas / Texas A&M / Ole Miss
South Carolina – Georgia / Tennessee / Mississippi State
Tennessee – Vanderbilt / Kentucky / South Carolina
Texas A&M – LSU / Arkansas / Missouri
Vanderbilt – Tennessee / Kentucky / Florida

Thoughts?

kentubbybasketball
05-28-2015, 08:43 PM
It's not much different than before. Other than the permanent opponents. It's our old SEC East schedule without seeing UGA and USC twice.

I don't get why Vandy is a permanent opponent for us. Florida makes sense for obvious reasons. UT is a historic rival also. But Vandy??? There's no animosity between us and them. What makes them anymore of a rival for UK than UGA or Texas A&M?

GoDores
05-28-2015, 09:26 PM
I don't get why Vandy is a permanent opponent for us. Florida makes sense for obvious reasons. UT is a historic rival also. But Vandy??? There's no animosity between us and them. What makes them anymore of a rival for UK than UGA or Texas A&M?

Denial, denial, denial.

I guarantee you if Kentucky fans got to choose, Vandy would be in Kentucky's top 3. Obviously the SEC thinks so too.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-28-2015, 10:06 PM
lol@teams who play UK twice always

Wave&Dawgs
05-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Who would you put ahead of Vandy, then? Come on Tubby, those are the obvious three choices for Kentucky's permanent opponents. You are just being a contrarian or trolling Vandy fans to suggest otherwise.

XPS
05-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Who would you put ahead of Vandy, then? Come on Tubby, those are the obvious three choices for Kentucky's permanent opponents. You are just being a contrarian or trolling Vandy fans to suggest otherwise.

Arkansas

GoDores
05-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Tell me why Arkansas.

xAuBuRn
05-29-2015, 01:00 AM
The SEC office looks at SECfanatics.com to declare who should play who

XPS
05-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Tell me why Arkansas.

Because UK & Arkansas was the best rivalry in college basketball in the early 90s. Plus the two best fan bases in the SEC and the two programs will be the future of SEC hoops. I don't understand the Vandy connection at all explain to me the Vandy over Arkansas Go?????

GoDores
05-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Because UK & Arkansas was the best rivalry in college basketball in the early 90s. Plus the two best fan bases in the SEC and the two programs will be the future of SEC hoops. I don't understand the Vandy connection at all explain to me the Vandy over Arkansas Go?????

Completely subjective.

Kentucky and Arkansas have played 38 times. Vandy and Kentucky have played 186 times. Kentucky and Arkansas had a little rivalry in the 90s, but more recently Vandy and Kentucky had a nice little run in 2010-2012...meeting on ESPN GameDay and for the SEC championship. Vandy and Kentucky are former division rivals, which also plays a big part in this I believe. Plus right now, I'd want stock in Vandy over Arkansas.

Nothing against Arkansas fans, but the fan base for basketball now isn't what it was in the 90s in my opinion. I've been to the last 2 SEC tournaments in Nashville and Hog fans weren't there in mass like they were when Nolan was there. The statue of limitations has expired on that argument.

kentubbybasketball
05-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Arkansas
Exactly! Bingo. I didn't want to bring the Hogs into this but the UK - ARKANSAS rivalry was way more intense than UK - VANDY especially with Nolan. Even now the Arkansas rivalry big again. Just ask WCS and the guys that just left and also the Arkansas players. They had beaten us four out of five times, and our wantedto embarrass them. Plusit was this year's title game. Then they stole SEC POY from us. We can't stand them, and they don't like us. That feeling just isn't there for Vandy. We don't even recruit in the same circles, like we do with Arkansas (see Malik Monk, Bobby Portis). I would argue Arkansas over UT even maybe for UK. Alex Poythress came down to us and Vandy, but that's the exception to the rule. I'm not sure how Vandy's fanbase can even question the loyalty of Arkansas'. It's not like Vandy fans travel in droves to the SECT either, and as was said it was in Nashville... altho we have more fans there than Vandy anyway.

And, as somebody joked earlier, SEC Fanatics rivalries don't matter. If they did, why wouldn't MSU be playing UK twice. Not sure why I'd have to needle Vandy fans when they aren't even really active on this board. Get real. Things with Arkansas have gotten nasty and that's big business for the SEC. I'm mother sure Vandy pushes the needle with ESPN, CBS, and advertisers like Arkansas vs UK would.

kentubbybasketball
05-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Denial, denial, denial.

I guarantee you if Kentucky fans got to choose, Vandy would be in Kentucky's top 3. Obviously the SEC thinks so too.

Newsflash. X and I are UK fans and we're both saying no to Vandy. As i said where is the animosity between our programs and our fanbases? Maybe yall hate us but I don't hate Vandy. It's a team in the SEC that we play and have usually beaten. It's not like it's Florida, who has beaten us and won many championships.

Since I'm getting questioned, explain to me why it should be Vandy? I get things have gotten testy at times but that's Stallings' creation. We have a better coaching rivalry with the guy at Auburn.

VandyChuck
05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
This is amusing :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
05-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Perhaps. it seems, however, that you're not able to articulate why Vandy's permanent opponent should be UK I take it, so you go for the amusing comment. Don't show all your card now, Chucky.

Look I don't mind Vandy. I also don't mind UT and Florida for that matter. However, to me it seems like our permanent opponents should be teams we have history with or teams that are rivalling us in terms of geography, recruiting, results, animosity between fanbases, etc. That's just not the case with Vandy IMO. I'm willing to listen to a rebuttal and change my mind, because outside of Florida, we really dont' have a slam dunk, surefire SEC team that should be one of our three permanent opponents. However, maybe there is no argument for Vandy, and the SEC just chose the closest team to us (like UT; although UT has beaten us more than anybody historically).

MKfromPA
05-29-2015, 07:01 PM
I like this new scheduling format. For Arkansas, its good because we can hone our rivalries with Missouri & Texas A&M. LSU is there for an obvious reason, too. They play us tough nearly every time, home or away.

kentubbybasketball
05-29-2015, 07:52 PM
I like this new scheduling format. For Arkansas, its good because we can hone our rivalries with Missouri & Texas A&M. LSU is there for an obvious reason, too. They play us tough nearly every time, home or away.
What do you think about not drawing UK twice. The SEC is missing out on a gold mine there. By Sheer Numbers the fanbases can really attract TV ratings.

The SEC could rue this decision if the title comes down to UK and Arkansas often over the next few years as it did this past season. UK hadn't locked up the outright title until the final three games of play people forget because if how good Arkansas was.

XPS
05-29-2015, 09:50 PM
I can see why Vandy fans are giddy about playing UK twice. Vandy wins it's Omg we beat Kentucky, lose and it's we are suppose to lose. Win win for Vandy....

GoDores
05-29-2015, 11:09 PM
I'm terribly sorry Kentucky got paired with little ole measly Vanderbilt. I know playing a game like that is well beneath Kentucky.

That's fine if y'all don't give 2 shats about beating Vandy. Let me assure you that I enjoy the pants off of beating Kentucky. Football and basketball.

MKfromPA
05-30-2015, 08:50 AM
What do you think about not drawing UK twice. The SEC is missing out on a gold mine there. By Sheer Numbers the fanbases can really attract TV ratings.

The SEC could rue this decision if the title comes down to UK and Arkansas often over the next few years as it did this past season. UK hadn't locked up the outright title until the final three games of play people forget because if how good Arkansas was.

XPS and you made a great point on the first and this pages of the thread here. Kentucky would be a great choice for Arkansas. I very much agree with both of your reasoning. The games between the two schools have been just awesome. Very entertaining. I think the SEC loves it when the two get together. Certainly the tv does. If I'm going to swap one of Ark's three for UK, it's going to be A&M. I would argue the football game between the schools carries much more significance than games on the hardwood.

I can see why the SEC did not make this move. They wanted to stick with traditional rivalries - Ark/A&M, UK/Vandy - I guess. I can very much agree with UT and UF as UK's other two. Maybe Missouri bucks the trend for Arkansas, since they recently joined the conference. It's an interesting thought process. I think it would be valuable to understand why the SEC did not pair UK with Ark.

VandyChuck
05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
so you go for the amusing comment. Don't show all your card now, Chucky.

I have no idea what this means, but I'm still entertained by this thread.

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 11:20 AM
XPS and you made a great point on the first and this pages of the thread here. Kentucky would be a great choice for Arkansas. I very much agree with both of your reasoning. The games between the two schools have been just awesome. Very entertaining. I think the SEC loves it when the two get together. Certainly the tv does. If I'm going to swap one of Ark's three for UK, it's going to be A&M. I would argue the football game between the schools carries much more significance than games on the hardwood.

I can see why the SEC did not make this move. They wanted to stick with traditional rivalries - Ark/A&M, UK/Vandy - I guess. I can very much agree with UT and UF as UK's other two. Maybe Missouri bucks the trend for Arkansas, since they recently joined the conference. It's an interesting thought process. I think it would be valuable to understand why the SEC did not pair UK with Ark.

Your last sentence says it all. CBS paid lots of money to air the game last year and it was during March, which is when the biggest games are played. By Sheer name recognition Arkansas is top 3 in the SEC. How UK only drew one of the other top teams (that being Florida) is beyond me.

The game at Rupp was intense. INTENSE. That block by WCS was something that's shown during his NBA Draft reel still. Bud Walton gets crazy when we get in there too.

I disagree that UK-Vandy is a traditional rivalry. We've dominated the series no matter the decade. The intensity isn't the same with Vandy. Vandy is almost like a little brother. Sure it's nice to beat them but it almost doesn't seem right, because they are Vandy. Now, beating Arkansas, that has meant something throughout our history.

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 11:34 AM
I can see why Vandy fans are giddy about playing UK twice. Vandy wins it's Omg we beat Kentucky, lose and it's we are suppose to lose. Win win for Vandy....
Good point. If we win, it's "you were supposed to." Lose and it's "the sky is falling." Last year the coaches had to list what schools they wanted to play more often. I'm pretty sure Stallings voted UK, because it was reported that most schools did at the time. I'd love to see who Cal said besides Florida. You'd imagine Cal had to say Vandy, because Cal probably has a bigger voice than any of the other coaches, definitely with D gone.

Maybe the SEC could revisit these pairings down the road. I'm not sure it's in our best interests to play Vandy over and over when Vandy may not consistently help our RPI and SOS.

XPS
05-30-2015, 03:17 PM
No doubt about it KT, ever single SEC coach wanted UK twice because it means more money, rise in the RPI and improve your Ncaa chances greatly with a win.The coaches know when Kentucky comes to town it's a full house.

VandyChuck
05-30-2015, 03:29 PM
'Vandy is like a little brother to us'

Ewww...stop being weird. It's not THAT close of a rivalry. I'd rather beat UT any day of the week.

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 04:38 PM
'Vandy is like a little brother to us'

Ewww...stop being weird. It's not THAT close of a rivalry. I'd rather beat UT any day of the week.

Definitely. They are more on your level. I agree that's been my entire point. What ties a historic program like UK with Vandy??? All the more reason to have Arkansas on the schedule twice because they are an historic program, too with over a handful of Final fours like Florida and Kentucky.

MKfromPA
05-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Your last sentence says it all. CBS paid lots of money to air the game last year and it was during March, which is when the biggest games are played. By Sheer name recognition Arkansas is top 3 in the SEC. How UK only drew one of the other top teams (that being Florida) is beyond me.

The game at Rupp was intense. INTENSE. That block by WCS was something that's shown during his NBA Draft reel still. Bud Walton gets crazy when we get in there too.

I disagree that UK-Vandy is a traditional rivalry. We've dominated the series no matter the decade. The intensity isn't the same with Vandy. Vandy is almost like a little brother. Sure it's nice to beat them but it almost doesn't seem right, because they are Vandy. Now, beating Arkansas, that has meant something throughout our history.

I see your point. I guess I was examining UK/Vandy from a football perspective. When I thought about it in basketball, you are correct. Its been completely one-sided. Not very competitive. However, it is still going to be two games that Kentucky cannot let their guard down or take for granted. Not saying it will happen, because Coach Cal is among the best in the business. Kentucky could've been chosen from Vandy's perspective since this game means more to them every year than to UK fans.

VandyChuck
05-30-2015, 05:29 PM
What ties a historic program like UK with Vandy??? .

Learn your history. Only UT has played UK more times in history than Vanderbilt, and only UT has beaten UK more games than Vanderbilt in your history. Both teams charter members of the SEC.

You can sit here and denegrate the 'rivalry' all you want. Just know that there's not a SINGLE PERSON on this board that's buying the crap you're shovelling.

VandyChuck
05-30-2015, 05:33 PM
When I thought about it in basketball, you are correct. Its been completely one-sided. Not very competitive. .

All time win % vs. UK

Arkansas: 29%
Vandy: 25%

Soooo........yeah. Not much of a difference there.

VandyChuck
05-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Kentucky could've been chosen from Vandy's perspective since this game means more to them every year than to UK fans.

You're dreaming if you think the SEC is doing anything from Vandy's perspective over UK's perspective (when it comes to basketball)

GatorMan32
05-30-2015, 10:11 PM
I am good with ours. UK is obviously a huge match up and means a lot as a conference rival. UGA is just such a heated rival, it makes too much sense regardless of the sport. And Vandy is always an interesting game. Lots of interesting games and Memorial is always an adventure but a great venue.

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Learn your history. Only UT has played UK more times in history than Vanderbilt, and only UT has beaten UK more games than Vanderbilt in your history. Both teams charter members of the SEC.

You can sit here and denegrate the 'rivalry' all you want. Just know that there's not a SINGLE PERSON on this board that's buying the crap you're shovelling.
I could care less how many times we've played somebody. We've played Louisville maybe 50 times. UNC and Kansas maybe 40. Those are rivalries though for us even with the "dearth of games.

Furthermore playing alot doesn't mean much. UK has won probably 75% of the games. Again, what's the tie? Put yourself in UK'S shoes. What is the tie for us?

Pretty sure that X and MK agree, and honestly as a fellow UK fan, X's opinion would seem to matter to me more in terms of if I'm way off kilter.

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 10:42 PM
I see your point. I guess I was examining UK/Vandy from a football perspective. When I thought about it in basketball, you are correct. Its been completely one-sided. Not very competitive. However, it is still going to be two games that Kentucky cannot let their guard down or take for granted. Not saying it will happen, because Coach Cal is among the best in the business. Kentucky could've been chosen from Vandy's perspective since this game means more to them every year than to UK fans.
Yep. The only reason it seems like it's a rivalry is that Chuck is always picking at us. I used the brother analogy earlier. The little brother (Vandy) likes to pick at the big brother. I like Vandy. The rivalry is one-sided because their fans think it's a rivalry and ours don't. I went to a Vandy forum years ago and you wouldn't believe how many UK threads there were. I couldn't even name their coach or any of their players over the past 10 years. Lol

kentubbybasketball
05-30-2015, 10:45 PM
I am good with ours. UK is obviously a huge match up and means a lot as a conference rival. UGA is just such a heated rival, it makes too much sense regardless of the sport. And Vandy is always an interesting game. Lots of interesting games and Memorial is always an adventure but a great venue.

You can't defend it from a historical perspective but I wish we could've drawn UGA. They always play us tough. Mark Fox out coaches Cal often, more than anybody in the league.

GoDores
05-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Vandy and Kentucky aren't rivals. Nobody is saying that. Vandy and Tennessee are rivals. Kentucky and Louisville are rivals. But if we can sift through the arrogance here and get KT to bring his nose down a little, we can see that Vandy and Kentucky have had great games over the last 5 years. CBS, ESPN Primetime, and College Game day can back me up on that.

If not, maybe we can get the Bulls in to replace Vandy for Kentucky?

MKfromPA
05-31-2015, 09:07 AM
I could care less how many times we've played somebody. We've played Louisville maybe 50 times. UNC and Kansas maybe 40. Those are rivalries though for us even with the "dearth of games.

Furthermore playing alot doesn't mean much. UK has won probably 75% of the games. Again, what's the tie? Put yourself in UK'S shoes. What is the tie for us?

Pretty sure that X and MK agree, and honestly as a fellow UK fan, X's opinion would seem to matter to me more in terms of if I'm way off kilter.

I can agree about # of games played. UK/Ark have not played tons of games, but there is intensity when they do, especially as Arkansas continues to win. The Hogs have only been in the SEC since 1991. Kentucky was a charter member in 1932. As Chuck pointed out, Vandy has played Kentucky many more times, yet there is not a huge rivalry.

kentubbybasketball
05-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Vandy and Kentucky aren't rivals. Nobody is saying that. Vandy and Tennessee are rivals. Kentucky and Louisville are rivals. But if we can sift through the arrogance here and get KT to bring his nose down a little, we can see that Vandy and Kentucky have had great games over the last 5 years. CBS, ESPN Primetime, and College Game day can back me up on that.

If not, maybe we can get the Bulls in to replace Vandy for Kentucky?

There has been one great UK-Vandy game the past 5 years that I can remember. ESPN Gameday. Period. The other games weren't great games, including the SEC final that same year.

End of the day, if we just choose to agree on your point about Vandy-UK the past five years, it hasn't been better than Arkansas-Kentucky the past 5 years. We've had 2 OT games the past two years for crying out loud. We've lost to them more than we've beaten them. Furthermore, the five year sample size for UK-Vandy doesn't compare to the 20 year history of the UK-Arkansas rivalry (yes, "rivalry"). We met them in something like 5 or 6 straight SECT games. The 1995 final went to OT and both teams had 95 points. That's appealing. It's not arrogance. It's fact.

kentubbybasketball
05-31-2015, 01:18 PM
I can agree about # of games played. UK/Ark have not played tons of games, but there is intensity when they do, especially as Arkansas continues to win. The Hogs have only been in the SEC since 1991. Kentucky was a charter member in 1932. As Chuck pointed out, Vandy has played Kentucky many more times, yet there is not a huge rivalry.
That says something. We've played Vandy much more and still have more of a rivalry with a team we've played 3 or 4 times less like Arkansas.

VandyChuck
05-31-2015, 01:49 PM
"It's not a lie, if you believe it"

- George Costanza

kentubbybasketball
05-31-2015, 03:01 PM
True. Get your boy to understand that quote.

VandyChuck
05-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Or you saying you couldn't name our coach or any of our players over the last 10 years....

TexasFight
05-31-2015, 03:38 PM
True. Get your boy to understand that quote.

That's racist.

GoDores
05-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Or you saying you couldn't name our coach or any of our players over the last 10 years....

I'm glad there's at least 1 person I don't have to spell it out to.

VandyChuck
05-31-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm glad there's at least 1 person I don't have to spell it out to.

It is really cute how hard he's trying to convince us (and himself) that he's truly indifferent towards Vandy.

kentubbybasketball
05-31-2015, 08:30 PM
I am. I like Vandy. You guys get up for it and make comments that antagonize UK fans. It's been that way for 13 years now. So, sure we bite back, but don't mistake that as UK fans putting you on the level of Florida or Arkansas in terms of who I'd rather face.

By the way your next comment defending why Kentucky deserves being a permanent opponent for Vandy will be your first defending the league's terrible decision. It's partially why our league continues to lag behind others. If the schedule is going to be imbalanced, I think we should be playing terms like Florida, Arkansas, and Tennessee (who are either equally as good as us or have a rivalry with us).

VandyChuck
05-31-2015, 08:35 PM
You're precious.

GoDores
05-31-2015, 09:58 PM
This is free of charge.

Did you know this past season was the first time Arkansas finished the season ranked since 1999? Is that the Kentucky rivalry I keep hearing about?

Over the past decade Vandy beats Arkansas in just about every measurable stat: pre season rankings, post season rankings, total wins, NCAA tournament appearances, SEC championships.

Acting like Vandy is so beneath everything is making you look pretty childish. I got nothing against Arkansas but let's take a step back here and look at things.

kentubbybasketball
06-01-2015, 04:34 AM
Your point being what? Arkansas being down hasn't kept them from competing with us in some great games. When coupled with the historical nature of our two programs and predicting the future, Arkansas seems a natural to me.

Sure they've been down, but that's not the point. Vandy, if this has been the golden years, is not at the level an Arkansas was at. When it's a rivalry it doesn't matter if one program is down for years. The feelings and vigor is still there.

All I'm saying is you want UK, but don't try to impress that the we should want to play you. Our perspectives are different. All I know is the week long buildup to that Arkansas game was crazy on this board but also between the teams.

Nothing against Vandy. As you notice my comments are more focused on Arkansas. If I'm going to pump Vandy, I have to have somebody to take off our permanent list and between UF, UT, and Vandy, Vandy Is clearly the one with the least tie to UK.

Wave&Dawgs
06-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Just because Arkansas was relevant 20 years ago doesn't mean they will get back to that level anytime soon, if ever. Vandy has absolutely been the more relevant program over the last decade plus, and makes more sense than Arkansas as a permanent opponent for UK.

VandyChuck
06-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Just because Arkansas was relevant 20 years ago doesn't mean they will get back to that level anytime soon, if ever. Vandy has absolutely been the more relevant program over the last decade plus, and makes more sense than Arkansas as a permanent opponent for UK.

This is far too much to ask him to admit.

I just saw where every Vandy-UK game over the last 5 years has been single digits with the exception of Vandy blowing out UK in the 2013 SEC tournament.

kentubbybasketball
06-01-2015, 01:21 PM
This is far too much to ask him to admit.

I just saw where every Vandy-UK game over the last 5 years has been single digits with the exception of Vandy blowing out UK in the 2013 SEC tournament.

And, we've had overtime games (plural) with Arkansas the last two years. Not to mention, they routed us in 2013 also. At best it's an even call between Arkansas and Vandy for UK, but the historical significance of Arkansas - UK swings it heavily.

VandyChuck
06-01-2015, 02:45 PM
And, we've had overtime games (plural) with Arkansas the last two years. Not to mention, they routed us in 2013 also. At best it's an even call between Arkansas and Vandy for UK, but the historical significance of Arkansas - UK swings it heavily.

"Historical Signifigance" = the 1990's apparantly.

Vandy and Kentucky had as good of a stretch of basketball vs. each other as any two teams could in the late 50's until mid 70's. Kentucky cost us probably a dozen trips to the tournament simply because back then the NCAA tournament only took ONE team from the SEC.

But that all probably doesn't matter, since you weren't alive.

Here's a list of those games from your Kentucky stats page. Vandy wins are in bold, and as you can see, it was always competitive, lot of top 25 rankings from both teams in those games.

2/14/1976 Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 65 - 69 -
1/17/1976 Vanderbilt at Kentucky W 77 - 76 -
3/1/1975 Vanderbilt at (#4) Kentucky W 109 - 84 -
1/27/1975 (#11) Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 91 - 90 -
3/2/1974 Kentucky at (#6) Vanderbilt L 69 - 71 -
1/28/1974 (#7) Vanderbilt at Kentucky L 65 - 82 -
2/3/1973 Vanderbilt at Kentucky L 76 - 83 -
1/22/1973 Kentucky at (#18) Vanderbilt L 75 - 76 -
2/5/1972 Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 85 - 80 OT -
1/24/1972 Vanderbilt at Kentucky W 106 - 80 -
2/27/1971 (#10) Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 119 - 90 -
1/30/1971 Vanderbilt at (#11) Kentucky W 102 - 92 -
2/28/1970 Vanderbilt at (#1) Kentucky W 90 - 86 -
1/31/1970 (#2) Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 81 - 89 -
3/1/1969 (#6) Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 99 - 101 -
2/1/1969 Vanderbilt at (#5) Kentucky W 103 - 89 -
3/2/1968 Vanderbilt at (#5) Kentucky W 85 - 80 -
1/6/1968 (#5) Kentucky at (#4) Vanderbilt W 94 - 78 -
3/4/1967 Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 94 - 110 -
1/5/1967 Vanderbilt at Kentucky L 89 - 91 OT -
2/2/1966 (#2) Kentucky at (#4) Vanderbilt W 105 - 90 -
1/15/1966 (#3) Vanderbilt at (#2) Kentucky W 96 - 83 -
2/16/1965 Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 90 - 91 -
1/5/1965 Vanderbilt at Kentucky L 79 - 97 -
2/17/1964 (#7) Vanderbilt at (#3) Kentucky W 104 - 73 -
1/6/1964 (#1) Kentucky at (#6) Vanderbilt L 83 - 85 -
2/18/1963 Vanderbilt at Kentucky L 67 - 69 -
1/7/1963 (#6) Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 106 - 82 -
2/19/1962 Vanderbilt at (#2) Kentucky W 87 - 80 -
1/8/1962 (#3) Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 77 - 68 -
3/9/1961 Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt W 88 - 67 SEC Playoff (at Knoxville, TN)
2/21/1961 Vanderbilt at Kentucky W 60 - 59 -
1/9/1961 Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 62 - 64 -
2/16/1960 Vanderbilt at Kentucky W 68 - 60 -
1/5/1960 Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 76 - 59 -
2/18/1959 Vanderbilt at (#3) Kentucky W 83 - 71 -
1/6/1959 (#1) Kentucky at Vanderbilt L 66 - 75 -
2/17/1958 Vanderbilt at (#12) Kentucky W 65 - 61 -
1/6/1958 (#10) Kentucky at Vanderbilt W 86 - 81 -
2/18/1957 (#18) Vanderbilt at (#3) Kentucky W 80 - 78 -
1/26/1957 (#5) Kentucky at (#13) Vanderbilt W 91 - 83 -
2/20/1956 (#6) Vanderbilt at (#7) Kentucky W 76 - 55 -
1/28/1956 (#3) Kentucky at (#7) Vanderbilt L 73 - 81 -
2/21/1955 (#20) Vanderbilt at (#2) Kentucky W 77 - 59 -
1/29/1955 (#1) Kentucky at (#18) Vanderbilt W 75 - 71 -

GoDores
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Going back a decade from right now, the win total in the Kentucky vs Vandy RIVALRY (:)) is Kentucky 11; Vandy 9. And that's only because Kentucky has won 4 out of the last 5.

VandyChuck
06-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Going back a decade from right now, the win total in the Kentucky vs Vandy RIVALRY (:)) is Kentucky 11; Vandy 9. And that's only because Kentucky has won 4 out of the last 5.

in before "But the Billy Gillespie years don't count"

kentubbybasketball
06-01-2015, 06:41 PM
"Historical Signifigance" = the 1990's apparantly.

Vandy and Kentucky had as good of a stretch of basketball vs. each other as any two teams could in the late 50's until mid 70's. Kentucky cost us probably a dozen trips to the tournament simply because back then the NCAA tournament only took ONE team from the SEC.

But that all probably doesn't matter, since you weren't alive.

Here's a list of those games from your Kentucky stats page. Vandy wins are in bold, and as you can see, it was always competitive, lot of top 25 rankings from both teams in those games.
Now compare that to our series with Arkansas with SEC titles and 1 seeds on the line. It's a national game. UK vs Vandy was on SECN this year fwiw.

Even still there's no venom in our series with Vandy.

XPS
06-01-2015, 07:18 PM

While you're at it, list the other stats during that time as well.

Ncaa titles
Ncaa final 4s
Ncaa final 8
Ncaa sweet 16s
Sec regular season titles
SEC tournament championships

VandyChuck
06-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Ncaa titles
Ncaa final 4s
Ncaa final 8
Ncaa sweet 16s

That would be obscenely off topic considering we're discussing a two team "rivalry", and head to head matchups.

You always know when a UK fan gets mad...they pull that card out even when it doesn't make sense to. My work here is done.

SCgamecock2988
06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
People arguing about basketball after basketball is over wtf is going on. This forum should be dead until November as it always is.

VandyChuck
06-01-2015, 09:19 PM
People arguing about basketball after basketball is over wtf is going on. This forum should be dead until November as it always is.

Who are you and why in the hell are you in here then?

SCgamecock2988
06-01-2015, 11:21 PM

I've just provided a way for Kentucky and Vandy fans to get along.

/Thread

TexasFight
06-01-2015, 11:58 PM

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwm1z6lkVK1qef6lgo2_500.png

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 09:18 AM
That would be obscenely off topic considering we're discussing a two team "rivalry", and head to head matchups.

You always know when a UK fan gets mad...they pull that card out even when it doesn't make sense to. My work here is done.
To be fair, your work here never started. Bye.

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Ncaa titles
Ncaa final 4s
Ncaa final 8
Ncaa sweet 16s

Yeah, I'm not sure why Vandy fans think they should be a permanent opponent for UK. There is no rivalry, the success of the programs historically and currently aren't in the same ballpark, the recruiting isn't similar, there is no dislike between the fanbases (at least from us to them), etc. Geography is the only thing that matters, but clearly we have that taken care of by having Tennessee as a primary opponent on a yearly basis, and I won't argue that. With Rick Barnes there, that program should be at a Texas level in 3 years IMO. I'd like to see Sankey/Slive's reasoning behind matching up UK-Vandy. It's overkill for a game that won't move the masses.

VandyChuck
06-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Did you ever figure out who our coach or any of our former players are?

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Somebody can't take a joke. As many barbs as you've been throwing my way in this thread, you'd think you could take them coming back. Don't dish it...

GoDores
06-02-2015, 01:16 PM
I've just provided a way for Kentucky and Vandy fans to get along.

/Thread

This was funny.

GoDores
06-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why Vandy fans think they should be a permanent opponent for UK. There is no rivalry, the success of the programs historically and currently aren't in the same ballpark, the recruiting isn't similar, there is no dislike between the fanbases (at least from us to them), etc. Geography is the only thing that matters, but clearly we have that taken care of by having Tennessee as a primary opponent on a yearly basis, and I won't argue that. With Rick Barnes there, that program should be at a Texas level in 3 years IMO. I'd like to see Sankey/Slive's reasoning behind matching up UK-Vandy. It's overkill for a game that won't move the masses.

Your excessive and repetitive downplaying of Vandy speaks a whole lot louder to true feelings than the actual words you are typing.

Spoiler: the messages aren't the same. It's like you are trying to convince yourself.

If you can't see why Vandy and Kentucky were paired (maybe I'm giving you too much credit in actually believing you do), it is just ignorance.

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Hmmmm. What do you think my true feelings are since it's not what I've explicitly expressed here??

VandyChuck
06-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I'll give you an example. Let's talk SEC baseball. If some fan of the always irrelevant UK Wildcats tried to tell me that they're a big rival of the national champion Vanderbilt Commodores, I would just snicker, say "that's cute that you think that", and never give it another thought. Unlike you, who has to keep saying it OVER and OVER and OVER again like you're trying to convince yourself.

But that may be a poor example because Vandy's team actually ARE the national champions. Not just a final 4 team.

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Haha. Maybe you're trying to convince yourself that your programs are relevant. Afterall, you're the one that took the swipe about UK just being a final four team.

The point to consider here is that it's my opinion that Vandy shouldn't be a permanent opponent of ours. I keep going back to it and making comments, because you and Go are doing the same thing on the other end. Maybe you're the one that's unsure of himself.

XPS
06-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Chuck bringing the baseball smack hard lol. The funniest part of the entire thread is a Vandy fan aka Chuck making it sound like a final 4 is nothing. Vandy will never make a final 4 appearance without tickets.

kentubbybasketball
06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I know. Talking about grasping for straws. Baseball in a basketball thread. I guess we UK basketball and baseball fans should be jealous. Lol

MKfromPA
06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
I know. Talking about grasping for straws. Baseball in a basketball thread. I guess we UK basketball and baseball fans should be jealous. Lol

KT, what are your opinions on the other pairings? Which do you agree? Disagree?

Just Some Hog Dude
06-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Is it basketball season? Hush up about this. The elite of the conference are still playing baseball.

kentubbybasketball
06-06-2015, 04:18 PM
KT, what are your opinions on the other pairings? Which do you agree? Disagree?
LSU - TAMU doesn't make sense to me. I don't see an immediate connection. At some point tho it is hard to find three opponents with a connection for everybody. You would think Vandy and South Carolina would play given the history and intense rivalry and shenanigans that went on in that series about 6 to 8 years ago. Those fanbases couldn't stand each other, more than Vandy fans dislike UK fans. The way I see it Vandy has no reason to not like UK, not anymore than any other program doesn't like UK.

GoDores
06-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Lol...what are you talking about? I've never had one problem in my life with an SC fan. Vandy -SC has been quiet on both sides. Balkman happened like 10 years ago, but that's the only noise from 1 game.

Intense rivalry? :rotf: I guarantee you no one from either side would say that.

kentubbybasketball
06-07-2015, 08:13 AM
We've never had issues with Vandy fans but for reason we should be embroiled on a series permanently with them.

FWIW that series with USC was crazy. Near fights.

MKfromPA
06-07-2015, 08:35 AM
LSU - TAMU doesn't make sense to me. I don't see an immediate connection. At some point tho it is hard to find three opponents with a connection for everybody. You would think Vandy and South Carolina would play given the history and intense rivalry and shenanigans that went on in that series about 6 to 8 years ago. Those fanbases couldn't stand each other, more than Vandy fans dislike UK fans. The way I see it Vandy has no reason to not like UK, not anymore than any other program doesn't like UK.

LSU/A&M may be a choice based on the football rivalry. That one is picking up on the gridiron.

I agree about Vandy/S Carolina should have been a pairing.

I don't know too much about MSU, but their pairing with South Carolina. I do not see a connection there, but that could be because I do not know much about either program.

kentubbybasketball
06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
I agree on all fronts, bro. Being down in Louisiana now, you know more about that rivalry than me. I will say LSU and TAMU have the two best recruiters in the league maybe besides Cal so on the hoops side that will pick up.

MKfromPA
06-07-2015, 08:47 PM
I agree on all fronts, bro. Being down in Louisiana now, you know more about that rivalry than me. I will say LSU and TAMU have the two best recruiters in the league maybe besides Cal so on the hoops side that will pick up.

Hence the tournament appearance in 2014 for both teams. What do you make of their chances this year?

kentubbybasketball
06-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I really think LSU has high end talent. They have two 6'7/8 guys that can play point in Simmons and Quarterman. Who man's the paint tho? Is Robertson in good enough shape? What about Jones' coaching???? They should be in.

TAMU could platoon they've got so many guys. House could be POY. Do they up the pace a bit with their increased athleticism tho? Their offense lags a big imo. They should be in IMO too.