Calipari to New Orleans? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Calipari to New Orleans?

Wave&Dawgs
05-12-2015, 04:47 PM
The Pelicans fired Monty Williams today, and there is some speculation they could try to go after Cal. I would have to imagine getting to coach AD again along with Tyreke Evans would be pretty attractive to Cal if he were indeed looking to get back into the NBA. What do you guys think?

Herchel
05-12-2015, 04:50 PM
I don't understand why they fired Williams.

kentubbybasketball
05-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Wow; only took three minutes to start the Calipari thread here for this. I came on hear earlier just to see who would start the thread first. lol

Maybe he will leave. Maybe he won't. At this point it's all conjecture. I think it's obvious that coaching the fifth leading vote getter for MVP again, who doubles as maybe the best player going forward in the league would be nice. What's also nice is dominating college basketball. From Cal's own lips, he's getting more out of making people like Anthony Davis into millionaires than coaching millionaires.

I just think it's too soon to be speculating on Cal when for all intents and purposes DRose (another former Cal legend) is probably going to be coach-less in a month according to NBA sources. Considering Chicago is at a better point to contend, you'd think if Cal really wanted to coach a former player, he'd pick DRose, who's on a better contender. (Although, Fred Hoiberg is really in play for the Bulls too).

kentubbybasketball
05-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't understand why they fired Williams.

To me this is the actual story; not John Calipari. I don't get it either. Playoffs this year. Dealing with injuries, as basically every NBA coach has this year. He's a players coach. The guys on the team really liked him. I'm not sure why anybody would want to jump into a situation like that if you're already stable in a job with security.

XPS
05-12-2015, 08:20 PM
If Cal decides to go then Mitch needs to be on the phone with Bruce Pearl soon after.

XPS
05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
ESPN’s Andy Katz confirmed what we originally reported: UK and John Calipari are in the process of finalizing a contract extension.

Katz tweeted, “Can confirm. Credit Matt. Signatures soon to complete deal. Never thought Calipari was off to NBA now.”

Again, that’s an extra year on his current deal (2021-22) for another $8 million. The contract will be worth $54 million over the next seven years.

Money dance!

kentubbybasketball
05-13-2015, 06:53 AM
I don't think this deal has anything to do with NBA rumors. They were working on it before the season was over.

XPS
05-13-2015, 08:37 AM
I don't think this deal has anything to do with NBA rumors. They were working on it before the season was over.

UK is covering there a$$ if he does leave for the people who will say why didn't UK offer more money.

kentubbybasketball
05-13-2015, 03:21 PM
If that is what UK is doing (which is not) it's silly. Who cares what others are going to say? It's common sense that if you want to keep a coach, you typically offer them more money to try to get them to stay. Who would UK need to appease to keep them from thinking such?

Bama_Man
05-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Firing Monty Williams is so stupid, unless they already have Tom Thibedau already lined up, they are not looking at a proven upgrade on the NBA level.

Bama_Man
05-19-2015, 01:09 PM
A source close to Cal let it be known today that he is in fact interested in the Pelicans' job.....Another twist...

XPS
05-19-2015, 04:00 PM
A source close to Cal let it be known today that he is in fact interested in the Pelicans' job.....Another twist...

This happens ever year it gets old.

kentubbybasketball
05-19-2015, 06:21 PM
X, dont even get into it as you say it happens every year. When he leaves, he'll leave. What else is there really to say.
"SOURCES" how legit does that even sound?

kentubbybasketball
05-28-2015, 03:05 PM
I heard the Bulls have an open job and their best player played for John Calipari in college....

NCMISSSTFAN
05-28-2015, 04:29 PM
I know your kinda being funny KT but IMO, of all the jobs that he could have taken in the NBA, this one might be the best. Big city, basketball tradition (championships), and one of the best PG's he's ever coached. But I just think Cal loves college basketball too much to leave at this point.

kentubbybasketball
05-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I know your kinda being funny KT but IMO, of all the jobs that he could have taken in the NBA, this one might be the best. Big city, basketball tradition (championships), and one of the best PG's he's ever coached. But I just think Cal loves college basketball too much to leave at this point.
NC I mentioned weeks ago in this thread that the Bulls is a better job than NOLA, so I agree.

Helping kids and their families speaks to Cal. It moves his needle. It's college hoops that has made him a HOFer btw.

Wave&Dawgs
05-28-2015, 10:30 PM
The only thing that makes the Bulls job better than the Pels job is that they are in the East. Even with that, give me the team with the young top 5 player every single time.

kentubbybasketball
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM

Another thing about what you've said. DROSE is maybe the best PG Cal has coached even when he was with the Nets (Marbury and Cassell were good then), but DROSE is oft injured as is Joakim Noah. I'm not saying Rose is damaged goods but that's gotta be a factor for whoever goes to the Bulls.