Florida hires who?????? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Florida hires who??????

XPS
05-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Michael White from Louisiana Tech 4 years and 0 ncaa tournaments. This is who you hire to replace a HOF coach?????

Dawgilicious
05-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Who ALOT of UGA fans wanted to get to replace Fox if they fired him in the past few seasons

XPS
05-07-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm I missing something???

Dawgilicious
05-07-2015, 10:32 PM
I suppose they see all those wins at La Tech and his SEC ties

joehogjoe
05-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Well KT said Foley makes a good hire and a bad hire.

kentubbybasketball
05-08-2015, 02:57 AM
I think it's a solid hire honestly. Nobody on this biz says who when it comes to White. He has the pedigree. His whole family is in sports administration, but he chose to coach. He's an excellent recruiter, including in Florida. The only issue is he could never win a conference tourney to get to the NCAAt, but let's be fair, D didn't win his first SECT until 2005, 8 years into his tenure. The better way to judge a mid major coach is if he consistently finishes in the top third of his league AND HE ALWAYS DID, and he went thru conference realignment and still did. Nobody is going to look good compared to D but I like this hire. Go Gators! White could make a great future UK coach. I like him.

That said $2 million a year is a lot. That's the market of this business now.

swampmonster
05-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Anyone they hired wouldn't measure up
to Billy. I'll take the wait and see approach.

Herchel
05-08-2015, 06:31 AM
Didn't people say who when he hired Donovan?

GatorMan32
05-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I'll wait and see but just because he is in a one bid league and didnt win the conference tourney doesn't mean he isn't a top up and coming coach. Believe they won that league in the regular season the last two or three years. R field got the USC gig based on one tourney run and has sucked lol That is not the end all. I'd have preferred Miller but even then it's not a sure thing. White has a lot going for him and seems to be well respected as KT said.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Michael White, the former Ole Miss player? Haha, I remember that guy. It is funny the stuff you remember.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
I like White, but I'm not sure I like the hire for Florida. It seems like a school with that tradition could have hired a more proven guy. Who knows what happens, he may end up being the next great thing, but I think it is a risky hire for a team of Florida's caliber and tradition.

gatormaniac
05-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Didn't people say who when he hired Donovan?

Yep. I have to admit, I don't know much about him but, the more I read, the more I like the hire. Apparently, he's pretty well known and well liked among prep and aau coaches here...big plus. As always, time will tell. But, I am optimistic.

kentubbybasketball
05-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I like White, but I'm not sure I like the hire for Florida. It seems like a school with that tradition could have hired a more proven guy. Who knows what happens, he may end up being the next great thing, but I think it is a risky hire for a team of Florida's caliber and tradition.

See that's where I differ slightly in opinion. Florida's got "new" tradition, and they are hiring the guy that basically started the tradition. Historically those hires are all hard to knock out of the park. Who wants to replace the guy? I mean, Calhoun at UConn was replaced by Kevin Ollie, who had no coaching experience as a head coach (sure he won a title but who would've predicted that). I think he deserves a fair shot.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-09-2015, 07:16 AM
I see your point KT, and as I mentioned I like white but Florida is a big time program, it just seems like they would have gone in a different direction. But it wouldn't suprise me if White does a very good job there....IMO he was out an out of the box hire for a program like that.

GatorMan32
05-09-2015, 08:17 AM
It depends on how you look at it. The most talked about was Archie Miller mainly for the Elite 8 run but he hasn't coached at the level of going to Rupp or playing games v KU, etc and being expected to be competitive to win those either. Also he doesn't have southeastern recruiting ties like White does. Risk either way.

kentubbybasketball
05-09-2015, 11:50 AM
It depends on how you look at it. The most talked about was Archie Miller mainly for the Elite 8 run but he hasn't coached at the level of going to Rupp or playing games v KU, etc and being expected to be competitive to win those either. Also he doesn't have southeastern recruiting ties like White does. Risk either way.
Nobody is the perfect candidate. Even Cal at UK. Cal had NCAA issues. The perfect hire would've been Billy D but he's not available.

GatorMan32
05-09-2015, 09:28 PM
LOL I know it was a good hire to replace Billy D last time, too, with Billy D. I mean you are on point in this thread. Its hard to replace the guy who built the sustained success for the first time at the program. Florida does have better success than most because outside of the blue bloods there aren't a ton of ultra successful programs and most of those like UF, UConn and Zona are relative (to the blue bloods) the newer success stories. I do believe there is a chance here to really build UF into a sustained power program next level after the blue bloods. If White is successful, Florida will prove its more than just one coach and one good run under Kruger. So it'd establish a long term success.

As far as White, he had been named the top up and coming coach previously by Bilas, so that is pretty high praise. He passed on good jobs last year.