Donovan to OKC Thunder? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Donovan to OKC Thunder?

ALA2262
04-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Losing NC winning Gymnastics HC and Men's Basketball HC within a weeks time?

"A source close to me tells me that Billy Donovan has begun talks to possibly become the head coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder"
Alex Shepherd @agentshep

kentubbybasketball
04-26-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't know who Alex Shepherd is bur come on. This job has been open for 4 days, I'm sure talks even if informal didn't just begin. I do know D has been in Kentucky recruiting this weekend.

XPS
04-26-2015, 02:25 PM
There are strong rrumor if offered Billy will take the job. Who knows....

ALA2262
04-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't know who Alex Shepherd is bur come on. This job has been open for 4 days, I'm sure talks even if informal didn't just begin. I do know D has been in Kentucky recruiting this weekend.

His twitter was at 9:14 PM - 25 Apr 2015.

Alex Shepherd
@agentshep
Public Relations Student at University of Florida | UF 17' | #GatorNation |

So there is no scenario whereby Donovan was not the first choice and has just been contacted?

LSUTigers1404
04-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Well he take the job and then change his mind a day later like last time?

Storm
04-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Yes, let's all take the word of a public relations student.......:lol:

Still, if OKC offers the job to anyone, they should take it. There isn't a better job with a win now scenario available in the world than OKC is.

kentubbybasketball
04-27-2015, 03:21 PM
But, it's just win for a year IMO. Who knows if Durant re-signs after next season.

Bama_Man
04-27-2015, 10:48 PM
With Brooks being gone, if Durant doesn't love the new hire, Washington will hire a new coach to appease him and put the press on signing him. A team with Durant, Wall, and Beal would be NASTY in the East.

Storm
04-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Durant has always been pro Thunder though. He seems like the kind of guy that would be loyal. But who knows.

kentubbybasketball
04-28-2015, 12:34 AM
You know more about the NBA than I. Making a decision off one year wouldn't be wise to me (altho Durant, Westbrook, Kanter, and Ibaka is nice for that one yr).. But at least you'd still have Westbrook after that one year.

Bama_Man
04-28-2015, 01:03 PM
But Russ is only signed thru 2016, 2017 at the latest and I dont believe OKC has any bargaining chips at all with him without Durant. Durant does seem sentimental, but Westbrook does not and without Durant, I don't see a reason for Westbrook to stay in OKC.

GatorMan32
04-30-2015, 12:16 AM
Most believe he is gone. IMO Billy is smart enough to make sure there is a relationship he can build with Durant if he does go.

GoDores
04-30-2015, 12:43 AM
I've believed no coach is as important to their school as Donovan is. He built them to what they are, but I've never thought their home fan support matched their success like it should.

It'll be interesting to see who they can get if he does leave. I can see the program dropping off quickly if there's not instant success.

GR8NESS
04-30-2015, 11:18 AM
IMO, Billy is crazy if he doesn't take this offer.

The chance to coach that roster....damn.

College will always be here if he wants it.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Seems to be official now, or very close to it. Who replaces Donovan? He has some big shoes to fill, that's for sure.

Just Some Hog Dude
04-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Durant has always been pro Thunder though. He seems like the kind of guy that would be loyal. But who knows.

I doubt it. OKC is probably one of the least desirable NBA locales. It is not like he is from the area either like Lebron with Cleveland. He grew up in DC.

GatorMan32
04-30-2015, 02:20 PM
All guys care about is money and rings. I mean they have the money to visit wherever they want. If Billy proves to him he can help him get rings, he isn't going anywhere. I also don't think Beal and Wall need another forward to create a big three so much as if they could get a big time post player to compliment what they do.

Just Some Hog Dude
04-30-2015, 02:22 PM
All guys care about is money and rings. I mean they have the money to visit wherever they want. If Billy proves to him he can help him get rings, he isn't going anywhere. I also don't think Beal and Wall need another forward to create a big three so much as if they could get a big time post player to compliment what they do.

True, I bet Durant doesn't even live there in the offseason.

Wave&Dawgs
04-30-2015, 04:21 PM
And the PR student gets the last laugh! Good on you, guy!

Storm
04-30-2015, 05:26 PM
I think Billy D gets the last laugh. Laughing all the way to bank.

kentubbybasketball
04-30-2015, 05:31 PM
i think billy d gets the last laugh. Laughing all the way to bank.

e-x-a-c-t-l-y.

kentubbybasketball
04-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Comments from Ian O'Connor at ESPN that D was tired of recruiting against Cal and UK is interesting. O'Connor called it a "losing battle." I had heard the speculation that D was tired of recruiting, but I hadn't heard that UK had anything to do with it.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Comments from Ian O'Connor at ESPN that D was tired of recruiting against Cal and UK is interesting. O'Connor called it a "losing battle." I had heard the speculation that D was tired of recruiting, but I hadn't heard that UK had anything to do with it.

I can understand that though, it takes alot out of coaches to recruit, especially when you put so much time in certain players and they choose to go elsewhere. At the next level he won't have to worry about that at all, that won't be his responsibility. All he will have to worry about is coaching. And he sure has the talent there to do it.

kentubbybasketball
04-30-2015, 07:47 PM
I think actually disagree. He'll have to "Recruit" Durant after year one and Westbrook after the next.

Bama_Man
04-30-2015, 09:56 PM
True, I bet Durant doesn't even live there in the offseason.

Yes he does.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-30-2015, 11:14 PM
I think actually disagree. He'll have to "Recruit" Durant after year one and Westbrook after the next.
He won't have to sit in Kevin Durant living room and make a pitch to Durant, his mom and his great grandmother..He won't have to attend multiple AAU games scouting, he won't have to travel the back woods searching for small gyms just to see a particular kid...etc. You know what I mean.

kentubbybasketball
05-01-2015, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I get what you mean, but a major part of his success will be who he can encourage to stay there and who he can encourage to come. Like at any level of basketball, you must have players to win.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I get what you mean, but a major part of his success will be who he can encourage to stay there and who he can encourage to come. Like at any level of basketball, you must have players to win.

Agreed. He is a likeable coach so I wouldn't be suprised to see him keep KD and lure other talent to OKC, including some of his former Gators. Who do you think is the next coach at Florida?

joehogjoe
05-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Bye bye Billy Munster. Who does Florida get?

kentubbybasketball
05-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Agreed. He is a likeable coach so I wouldn't be suprised to see him keep KD and lure other talent to OKC, including some of his former Gators. Who do you think is the next coach at Florida?

Early word seems to be Archie Miller. Maybe Larry Shyatt. I've heard Mike Miller.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Mike Miller? Current Cleveland Cavalier?

Bama_Man
05-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Former UF Gator IIRC

kentubbybasketball
05-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Mike Miller? Current Cleveland Cavalier?
I doubt UF gets that desperate. Just throwing names out there.

GatorMan32
05-02-2015, 08:43 AM
If UF has a coach Miller his first name won't be Mike. That said huge fan. He is a Gator after all. He could be valuable as an assistant.