MSU from NIT threat to NCAA threat? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : MSU from NIT threat to NCAA threat?

msudawg4life
04-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Posted in another thread I remembered this post so instead of hogging another thread I created a new one.

I'm probably crazy for thinking this, but MSU could be in the tournament next year. If the roster stays intact it could be a possibility. The NIT is more likely and should be the expectation if all the players stay. I do think Ray would have gotten us to the NIT next year, but not sure if he would have ever gotten us any further.

What are your thoughts central?...anyone else's thoughts now?

XPS
04-25-2015, 05:14 AM
Posted in another thread I remembered this post so instead of hogging another thread I created a new one.

What are your thoughts central?...anyone else's thoughts now?

I think it all comes down to the non conference schedule - I look for the SEC to be top heavy again and honestly UK, LSU and Maybe Vandy as Ncaa T teams meaning teams better load up with decent teams in the non conference games.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 06:59 AM
I agree XPS. There are several other teams in the SEC that I think will have better records (TAMU and Florida in addition to what X mentioned), which means MSU'S ooc will have to set them apart. From a talent standpoint th e backcourt is good with Sword and Newman, but Newman is a frosh and may take time to really get in a groove. I'd say NIT is more probable. Thinking NCAAT is perhaps a bit unfair.

CentralMSDawg
04-25-2015, 10:18 AM
It now looks like the roster will stay intact with two nice additions. The SEC as a whole should be better and that will make a path to the NCAAT harder. I still think we had a small shot at the tournament without Newman and now I would put it at 60/40 with him. I hope we end up with a decent non-conference schedule to help the SOS and can win some of those games to help the RPI. Once the team starts playing together and gels I'm hoping my 60/40 prediction can go up.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I like our tourney chances. We add Newman, Weatherspoon, Zuppardo and maybe Kasongo to go along with Seniors Thomas, Ware and Sword....that's a pretty good roster.

Wave&Dawgs
04-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Who knows? I thought for sure our 2011-2012 team with Dee Bost, Rodney Hood, Arnett Moultrie, and Renardo Sidney would have made the tourney and they didn't. And two of those guys were first round NBA picks. Just too hard to tell. The talent has to gell and they have to play a tough enough schedule and get some good wins. They certainly have a chance to get that far, but I'm not going to pencil it in at this point. All of our talent are either freshmen or they are upperclassmen who have experience nothing but losing in college. So while the talent it there, it is yet to be seen how they will play together and win.

Now having said all of that, with this talent and our coach, it would be a disappointment if the team did not make the tourney. They certainly have the ability. But as that 11-12 team showed, ability is not always enough.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 03:24 PM
I like our tourney chances. We add Newman, Weatherspoon, Zuppardo and maybe Kasongo to go along with Seniors Thomas, Ware and Sword....that's a pretty good roster.

It's a 68 team field, do there's spots. Good roster teams miss out yearly. The style of play will be interesting.

XPS
04-25-2015, 09:04 PM
I'm not buying the SEC will be better stuff. I don't see one possible sweet 16 team. I know LSU signed one heck of a class but they also lost two very good players and make no mistake Jones is no Cal when managing egos and freshman at that.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 10:26 PM
X, fwiw there's a difference in being a Sweet 16 team and a Sweet 16 type team.

XPS
04-25-2015, 10:42 PM
X, fwiw there's a difference in being a Sweet 16 team and a Sweet 16 type team.

True Kt- how many Ncaa T type teams do you anticipate????

Dawgilicious
04-25-2015, 11:33 PM
The league will be much more competitive for sure.

AU will be better in year 2
SC is really coming on for Martin
UK will still be good
UF is not going to have back to back seasons like this years
LSU has tons of talent
UGA looks to be trending upwards
Vandy is young and could be very good
Arkansas has that style of play down

kentubbybasketball
04-26-2015, 03:59 AM
True Kt- how many Ncaa T type teams do you anticipate????

I like UK, UF, LSU, TAMU, and Vandy as the top 5 in some order. Depending on ooc, maybe a 6th or 7th team get in. I think the league is s year away from its zenith. There are good classes but teams are young and there's a lot of upheaval.

Everybody can't just beat up on each other after a weak ooc schedule and expect to get half the league in. 3 of the last 4 yrs somebody has gone unbeaten in the league. That can't keep happening and then expect to have 7 teams in.

Herchel
04-26-2015, 09:31 AM
UGA scheduled up in 2014-15, which is why they made the tournament. MSU needs to do the same. There SOS was #114. That won't cut it.

kentubbybasketball
04-26-2015, 01:13 PM
UGA us solid for next yr. Does Maten make the anticipated jump to help replace Djurisic and Thornton? That's the key imo. The backcourt is terrific and the coaching is golden.

Herchel
04-26-2015, 02:16 PM
UGA us solid for next yr. Does Maten make the anticipated jump to help replace Djurisic and Thornton? That's the key imo. The backcourt is terrific and the coaching is golden.
I think Maten will be an adequate replacement for Thornton. I'm worried about replacing Nemi. I don't see anyone on the roster that can do it.

XPS
04-26-2015, 02:29 PM
The league will be much more competitive for sure.

AU will be better in year 2
SC is really coming on for Martin
UK will still be good
UF is not going to have back to back seasons like this years
LSU has tons of talent
UGA looks to be trending upwards
Vandy is young and could be very good
Arkansas has that style of play down

The hog fans will tell you they will take a huge step back as will Kentucky. Who knows if Billy D will be back and I would have to take a look at there roster but it's not out of the realm of possibilitie they won't have another season like last year.

kentubbybasketball
04-26-2015, 04:33 PM
I think Maten will be an adequate replacement for Thornton. I'm worried about replacing Nemi. I don't see anyone on the roster that can do it.

I'm not sure you need a replacement that is a Euro type guy that can handle some and take it out face up and shoot. You just need competent interior scorers, passers, rebounders, and defenders. With that I think you'd be fine. The focus this year should be completely on backcourt scoring IMO. However, Fox coach as there is in the country. He knows what this team will need to do. Keeping the team unconcussed and healthy will go a long way in getting another NCAAT. I think UGA is our swing team in the SEC next year. If Mann can rediscover his sophomore form instead of his junior form, maybe UGA is more in lock territory. However, I think they are that team that'll be on the fence/bubble that could get the SEC another bid or not.

Bama_Man
04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Alabama has a few young, talented pieces and a new coach that has played and coached in the NBA finals, but I cant see us as a real threat to make the tourney. Anything above 15 wins, after losing Levi, is a positive for Alabama so its not like teams like State, Vandy, LSU, UK, teams with good talent, shouldnt be able to get a couple wins over teams like Bama, UT, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc...

So get a tough OOC schedule, win at least one big game you arent supposed to, and you can make it in. State could do that, but to be fair so could Vandy.