UK Roster Update [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UK Roster Update

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Our top 7 scoreres have decided to leave. I'll update this thread as our roster for next season starts to take shape. We'll be the youngest team in the country again. Perhaps the schedule will be a bit lighter.

The decision of these guys to leave is a great opportunity for them. IT may cost us a game or few next year, but you can't begrduge these guys.

Djshockley3
04-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Who is left from this years team?

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Tyler Ulis, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, EJ Floreal, and maybe Alex Poythress.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 06:21 PM
That's a scary thought for some of us hopefuls that 7 guys are leaving UK.....you know all those uncommitted players were waiting to see who would leave before they made decisions.

Bama_Man
04-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I think the Harrison twins should have stayed. They are not receiving first round grades, why not stay in school, get a degree, then try to make a professional team?

XPS
04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
I think the Harrison twins should have stayed. They are not receiving first round grades, why not stay in school, get a degree, then try to make a professional team?

My understanding the Harrison twins had a lot of encouragement to enter the draft.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
That's a scary thought for some of us hopefuls that 7 guys are leaving UK.....you know all those uncommitted players were waiting to see who would leave before they made decisions.

It's scary for us too,having to reload and hope the guys are good enough to hack it at this level. It'll be good to have Tylker Ulis as a leader, and nobody does community involvement better than Marcus Lee, so we have the makings of a good program. It's certainly not easy to see all thee guys leave and come in with a new group. It's what we signed up for though, and I wouldn't at any point bemoan any of our guys for leaving for the NBA. As a fan, it's part of the experience.

XPS
04-09-2015, 07:16 PM
SKAL LABISSIERE has emerged as the projected #1 pick in 2016. I hope for the kids sake his piece of sh!t former handler who was trying to make money off the kid doesn't keep him from playing college ball.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 07:19 PM
X, given what Cal has had to deal with in terms of agents/runners (Camby) and SAT scores (DRose), I doubt Cal would get involved if there's really something to be concerned about. I mean, all that stuff with Skal's agent was known knowledge before we ever even accepted his commitment.

What recruits out there do you want most? I want Jaylen Brown, Malik Newman, and Stephen Zimmerman. Those would be my top 3. Of course I'd take Maker and Diallo if they wanted to come too though. lol

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Jaylen Brown and Malik Newman together would be scary.

XPS
04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Kt shooting guard is the number one need- so Newman would be number 1 followed by Brown and I love Zimmermans game.

XPS
04-09-2015, 07:44 PM
X, given what Cal has had to deal with in terms of agents/runners (Camby) and SAT scores (DRose), I doubt Cal would get involved if there's really something to be concerned about. I mean, all that stuff with Skal's agent was known knowledge before we ever even accepted his commitment.

What recruits out there do you want most? I want Jaylen Brown, Malik Newman, and Stephen Zimmerman. Those would be my top 3. Of course I'd take Maker and Diallo if they wanted to come too though. lol

Let's hope your right Kt but remember Cal took a commitment from Kanter to. You can tell by interviews he is a good kid the handler should be punished not the kid.

joehogjoe
04-09-2015, 07:50 PM
The NBA is ruining the superior sport of college basketball.

XPS
04-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Joe the rule needs to go to 2 years I don't blame the NBA for not wanting to take a chance on the kids straight out of high school.

joehogjoe
04-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I don't either but the NBA is undermining the great game. I did hear Cal's press conference today. It was really terrific.

XPS
04-09-2015, 08:28 PM
The college game and NBA is becoming very watered down.

Storm
04-10-2015, 08:42 AM
They lose 7, but have the number 1 recruiting class coming in already. I'm sure most schools wish they had those kinds of problems. 7 NBA players to lose every year when some schools are lucky to put 7 NBA players into the draft every decade. I don't think anyone is breaking out the violins.

Bama_Man
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
But i dont think this year's talented crop of incoming freshman will be as good as last year's, and they wont benefit from having the Harrisons and WCS already being on the roster. Although having an elite PG, one of the best in the nation (its between him and Trimble IMO) in Ulis and an athletic, strong big in Marcus Lee returning will help. I think Ulis is better than either Harrison but Lee is not as good as WCS/KAT.

KAT is likely #1 pick, I dont think the big guy coming in is quite as talented.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
They lose 7, but have the number 1 recruiting class coming in already. I'm sure most schools wish they had those kinds of problems. 7 NBA players to lose every year when some schools are lucky to put 7 NBA players into the draft every decade. I don't think anyone is breaking out the violins.

Our class last year was ranked no 2. KAT and company didn't get much love compared to other UK classes. Yet they ended up being one of Cal's best, because their skill level was so high.

This year's class hasn't been completed and as you say we're in a good position. Skal Labissiere is getting John Wall, Anthony Davis, and KAT kind of draft love, so we are in a decent spot I suppose. We don't expect Anybody To Feel Sorry For us.

That said replacing 7 guys is never easy. No matter what you bring in. We'll take some lumps. I mean we are playing at UNC, DUKE in Chicago, Louisville, one of the top Big 12 teams. This won't be as easy as you're suggesting. Not having as much pressure will be a nice change after this past season where every game was pressure packed.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Kt shooting guard is the number one need- so Newman would be number 1 followed by Brown and I love Zimmermans game.
I agree
We are going to be a much smaller team. I wonder if we switch as much on D next year.

Storm
04-10-2015, 02:57 PM
your roster updates should consist of:

Great players leaving

Great players coming

;)

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Not that simple Storm. We won't have nine McD AAS or the experience. I'd rather have these guys than not tho if you're gonna lose a WCS or couple of talented twins.

SkyAntoine
04-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Let's hope your right Kt but remember Cal took a commitment from Kanter to. You can tell by interviews he is a good kid the handler should be punished not the kid.
That's what I was telling someone this morning. When you listen to Skal talk it is like another Karl-Anthony Towns. He really seems like an excellent kid. But, his guardian seems to be another story.

Herchel
04-10-2015, 03:58 PM
How many NBA players did Wisconsin have? Kaminsky and Decker were seniors. Players with 4 years of college coaching and experience can compete with freshman and sophomore McDonalds' AAs. Cal has one plan, other coaches have another plan. I am not knocking Cal or UK.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Dekker was not a senior. Wisconsin has three forwards that will play in the NBA.

Funny you say that tho when Cal has more wins than anybody over the last 6 years and more final fours plus a title. Maybe everybody else would be better served to follow suit. Coach K has.

Herchel
04-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Dekker was not a senior. Wisconsin has three forwards that will play in the NBA.

Funny you say that tho when Cal has more wins than anybody over the last 6 years and more final fours plus a title. Maybe everybody else would be better served to follow suit. Coach K has.
Once again, I was not knocking anyone. There is some advantage to having more experienced players. I am not saying that it is better than having the best players.
Wisconsin's roster says he is a senior.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Wisconsin's roster is wrong then.

To me the greatest advantage is having the best talent. Plenty of teams have experience and suck. UK was the first or second most inexperienced team in the league and we didn't lose a game. We Never Talk About teams That Lose with experience.

Storm
04-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Dekker is a junior

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/10/wisconsin-junior-forward-sam-dekker-to-enter-2015-nba-draft/

Bama_Man
04-10-2015, 11:32 PM
SKAL LABISSIERE has emerged as the projected #1 pick in 2016. I hope for the kids sake his piece of sh!t former handler who was trying to make money off the kid doesn't keep him from playing college ball.

Where do you see that?

The sites I've browsed have both Ben Simmons (LSU) and Jaylen Brown (undecided, likely UK) ahead of LaBissiere.

Bama_Man
04-10-2015, 11:34 PM
How many NBA players did Wisconsin have? Kaminsky and Decker were seniors. Players with 4 years of college coaching and experience can compete with freshman and sophomore McDonalds' AAs. Cal has one plan, other coaches have another plan. I am not knocking Cal or UK.

Wisconsin has three NBA players: Kaminsky, a top 20 pick, Dekker and Nigel Hayes, both late first, early second.

XPS
04-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Where do you see that?

The sites I've browsed have both Ben Simmons (LSU) and Jaylen Brown (undecided, likely UK) ahead of LaBissiere.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

As Kentucky basketball fans ponder which players will return and which will go pro from the Wildcats' 38-1 club, UK's top incoming recruit is proving that he'll be a major player next season - and prime one-and-done candidate - regardless of who's on the roster.

Thanks to his strong performances during practices for this weekend's Nike Hoop Summit, Memphis center Skal Labissiere has been moved up two places to the No. 1 spot in the 2016 mock draft on DraftExpress.com.
Labissiere, a Haitian native who is playing for the World Select team in Portland, is the nation's No. 3 senior, according to Scout.com, but he could challenge for No. 1 if he keeps impressing this week. He's listed at 7 feet on the Hoop Summit roster.

He's reportedly been the best player on a World team that includes No. 1 senior Ben Simmons and top-10 senior/UK target Thon Maker as well as 2016 UK commitment Tai Wynyard
Labissiere, as much as a five-star player can, has flown somewhat under the national radar because he was ruled ineligible for his high school team this year as a transfer and played instead for an untalented prep school team that his guardian created just so he could have a team.
He was not eligible for the McDonald's All American Game, but will play against the U.S. Junior National Select team at the Hoop Summit on Saturday, then in the Jordan Brand Classic in New York on April 17.

XPS
04-10-2015, 11:47 PM
I actually think Brown is the least likely to pick UK. Of course I hope I'm wrong....

Dawgilicious
04-11-2015, 12:10 AM
I dont think he is going to UK either, but we could be wrong

kentubbybasketball
04-11-2015, 11:29 AM
I actually think Brown is the least likely to pick UK. Of course I hope I'm wrong....

i agree. I'm not buying the Adidas thing as being so important hinestly. Nobody was as tied to a shoe company as the Harrison twins were with Under Armour (and by extension Maryland). UK ended up winning that battle on the trail handily and thankfully. They got us two final fours. There's not much talk from Jaylen Brown. Anybody saying they no where he is going for sure is lying imo. He is the most tight lipped recruit I've ever seen in over 15 yrs watching recruiting.

There just doesn't seem to be much traction with UK, which is why I agree with you X. If we can Poy to return and develop Willis, we will be fine without Brown.

kentubbybasketball
04-11-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm excited to get my first real long look at Labissiere today on ESPN 2. X we are gonna have to find out a way to shorten his name like WCS, MKG, and KAT or figure out his nickname. That's a tough name to spell lol.

Storm
04-11-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm not holding my breath, but Brown says Michigan is still in the mix. But going off that "adidas" comment, UM is looking to drop them when their contract runs out next season, so if he really does want to go to an adidas school, UM is out.

But choosing a school based on what shoes they were is freaking stupid.

kentubbybasketball
04-11-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm not holding my breath, but Brown says Michigan is still in the mix. But going off that "adidas" comment, UM is looking to drop them when their contract runs out next season, so if he really does want to go to an adidas school, UM is out.

But choosing a school based on what shoes they were is freaking stupid.
Rick Pitino agrees. If he goes pro and Nike offers the right money he'd drop Adidas in a New York minute.

Bama_Man
04-11-2015, 03:46 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

As Kentucky basketball fans ponder which players will return and which will go pro from the Wildcats' 38-1 club, UK's top incoming recruit is proving that he'll be a major player next season - and prime one-and-done candidate - regardless of who's on the roster.

Thanks to his strong performances during practices for this weekend's Nike Hoop Summit, Memphis center Skal Labissiere has been moved up two places to the No. 1 spot in the 2016 mock draft on DraftExpress.com.
Labissiere, a Haitian native who is playing for the World Select team in Portland, is the nation's No. 3 senior, according to Scout.com, but he could challenge for No. 1 if he keeps impressing this week. He's listed at 7 feet on the Hoop Summit roster.

He's reportedly been the best player on a World team that includes No. 1 senior Ben Simmons and top-10 senior/UK target Thon Maker as well as 2016 UK commitment Tai Wynyard
Labissiere, as much as a five-star player can, has flown somewhat under the national radar because he was ruled ineligible for his high school team this year as a transfer and played instead for an untalented prep school team that his guardian created just so he could have a team.
He was not eligible for the McDonald's All American Game, but will play against the U.S. Junior National Select team at the Hoop Summit on Saturday, then in the Jordan Brand Classic in New York on April 17.

Thanks for the link!

kentubbybasketball
04-11-2015, 06:58 PM
X, Skal looked pretty good today at the Nike Hoop Summit. He reminds me of a more advanced WCS offensively, but he can pretty much defend just like Willie can. I think he's further along than Willie is offensively even right now. He's got range on the jumper that sorta is shades of Anthony Davis. He looks really thin, but man he's got some great muscle definition in his arms. He can get up and reach rebounds that other cannot. He will pretty much give us the best big man on the court any game we play IMO. Plus, he can make his free throws. He made a clutch one when the World team needed it late.

Some other thoughts
-Ben Simmons is fantastic. He can play point guard. He can set people up very well for a guy that size. He has to work on his own jump shot though. He got at least three or four assists it seems by setting up Skal. (Tyler Ulis has to love the thoughts of that).

-Jaylen Brown is explosive going at the rim. He kinda disappears though in the course of a game.

-Malik Newman is a terrific shooter when he squares up. He's got good form on his J. I'm not sure he's the point guard yet that he wants to be though.

-Isaiah Briscoe is another guy in that mold that is trying to figure out the point guard position. He has clear value. He was on the court at the end of the game. I love his ability to "fight" his way to the rim. He's just a physical guy. Glad to have him here. He can play as a complement to Tyler Ulis if we need it. I see him more as a backup point guard however. 5 assists in the first half of a game like this is phenomenal.

-Stephen Zimmerman is huge. I like his ability to put the ball on the floor even from the high post. He can go left and finish over a defense. He has range on his shot. He's not a soft player, but I would like to see him finish better when he's mixing it up inside.

-Chieck Diallo did what he does. His motor is his strength. He just tries so hard.

-Thon Maker needs to work on his body more, but you can see the potential in him. He's oozing with it. He seems like a guy that doesn't quite feel comfortable in the low post on offense though. He'd be a solid faceup 4 for anybody.

VandyChuck
04-12-2015, 12:48 AM
X, Skal looked pretty good today at the Nike Hoop Summit. He reminds me of a more advanced WCS offensively, but he can pretty much defend just like Willie can.

So he'll average like 10 points and 7 rebounds and win 4 SEC POY's??? OMG WHATTA BEAST

I only troll here because somebody shut down a completely harmless thread where I was on point with my troll game.

XPS
04-12-2015, 07:19 AM
So he'll average like 10 points and 7 rebounds and win 4 SEC POY's??? OMG WHATTA BEAST

I only troll here because somebody shut down a completely harmless thread where I was on point with my troll game.

You have the power to open it back up. What are you waiting for????

XPS
04-12-2015, 07:41 AM
X, Skal looked pretty good today at the Nike Hoop Summit. He reminds me of a more advanced WCS offensively, but he can pretty much defend just like Willie can. I think he's further along than Willie is offensively even right now. He's got range on the jumper that sorta is shades of Anthony Davis. He looks really thin, but man he's got some great muscle definition in his arms. He can get up and reach rebounds that other cannot. He will pretty much give us the best big man on the court any game we play IMO. Plus, he can make his free throws. He made a clutch one when the World team needed it late.

Some other thoughts
-Ben Simmons is fantastic. He can play point guard. He can set people up very well for a guy that size. He has to work on his own jump shot though. He got at least three or four assists it seems by setting up Skal. (Tyler Ulis has to love the thoughts of that).

-Jaylen Brown is explosive going at the rim. He kinda disappears though in the course of a game.

-Malik Newman is a terrific shooter when he squares up. He's got good form on his J. I'm not sure he's the point guard yet that he wants to be though.

-Isaiah Briscoe is another guy in that mold that is trying to figure out the point guard position. He has clear value. He was on the court at the end of the game. I love his ability to "fight" his way to the rim. He's just a physical guy. Glad to have him here. He can play as a complement to Tyler Ulis if we need it. I see him more as a backup point guard however. 5 assists in the first half of a game like this is phenomenal.

-Stephen Zimmerman is huge. I like his ability to put the ball on the floor even from the high post. He can go left and finish over a defense. He has range on his shot. He's not a soft player, but I would like to see him finish better when he's mixing it up inside.

-Chieck Diallo did what he does. His motor is his strength. He just tries so hard.

-Thon Maker needs to work on his body more, but you can see the potential in him. He's oozing with it. He seems like a guy that doesn't quite feel comfortable in the low post on offense though. He'd be a solid faceup 4 for anybody.

Brown seems to be awesome in the open court and struggle in the half court because he can't shoot.

Zimmerman will be one of the best players in the country next year where ever he ends up at, dare I say he reminds me of
Christian Laettner.

Newman seems really good with the ball and needs to work on getting open with out the ball.

Skal is light years ahead of WCS on offense and will contend with Simmons for national and SEC POTY.

Simmons is a winner his ball handling and passing skills at his size is incredible even Johnny Jones won't be able to mess him up.

Briscoe very active needs to be more under control should benefit from all the talent at his disposal at UK next year.

Maker very raw could be a monster defensively.

kentubbybasketball
04-12-2015, 12:59 PM

If the rest of the league is as weak as it was this past season sure. In a normal year WCS shouldn't have won, but he should have won this year. He outplayed Portis all season imo especially the last time they played.

kentubbybasketball
04-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Brown seems to be awesome in the open court and struggle in the half court because he can't shoot.

Zimmerman will be one of the best players in the country next year where ever he ends up at, dare I say he reminds me of
Christian Laettner.

Newman seems really good with the ball and needs to work on getting open with out the ball.

Skal is light years ahead of WCS on offense and will contend with Simmons for national and SEC POTY.

Simmons is a winner his ball handling and passing skills at his size is incredible even Johnny Jones won't be able to mess him up.

Briscoe very active needs to be more under control should benefit from all the talent at his disposal at UK next year.

Maker very raw could be a monster defensively.

I think Simmons might be better than Brown in the open court altho the announcers said Brown was the best on the class.

Looks like Zimmerman will spurn UK for UNLV. When will top recruits even if you are from Vegas realize Dave Rice isn't a great coach and squander his talent? Pass on UK if Kansas or Duke are better to you but UNLV???

I won't judge Briscoe too much for being out of control in an all star game. He did have 9 assists. Cal wants his guys to turn the ball over because he likes risk takers. The thing about he and Newman is both guys just bulldozed their way inside. They are getting into the paint.

kentubbybasketball
04-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Looks like Slice is leaving our staff. Could make way for Tony Barbee on staff. It would still keep us with a staff of vast experience.

I would love add a guy like Yanni Hufnagel to our staff if another spot opens up. He knows our league and he's a hustler on the recruiting trail.

joehogjoe
04-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Portis out played wcs all season. I don't recall stein being one of the five players in college basketball to average over 17 plus points and 8 plus rebounds a game

Storm
04-13-2015, 09:31 AM
You can't look at stats though when looking at UK. Stein probably averages 17/5 on any other team in America. When you sign on to play with as much talent as UK amasses, your numbers are not going to be what they would if you were the star on another team.

Just my observation

VandyChuck
04-13-2015, 01:15 PM
You also just can't "hand" him an assumed x ppg or x rpg when Portis actually EARNED those numbers.

kentubbybasketball
04-13-2015, 03:24 PM
You can't look at stats though when looking at UK. Stein probably averages 17/5 on any other team in America. When you sign on to play with as much talent as UK amasses, your numbers are not going to be what they would if you were the star on another team.

Just my observation

Exactly. PLUS, people say WCS had a bad offensive package... compared to what? He was two points off from what our leading scorer averaged. Everybody at UK sacrificed. Under Cal we will never have a guy average 17 ppg again. It's just not how he coaches. we'd rather have five guys with 10 than two with 15... we'd also rather be the SEC champs. So, if we're going to base POY off who scores a certain amount of points, we'll never have a player win it again. I'd be okay with that, as long as we keep the rest of this league under our thumb I guess.