Uncommitted players [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Uncommitted players

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 11:46 AM
There are still some pretty big names out there who havent committed yet, including Jaylen Brown, Ivan Rabb, Caleb Swanigan, Stephen Zimmerman and Malik Newman. I'm assuming they are waiting to see what some of the UK players do in terms of declaring for the NBA draft. Where do you think these guys go? Will UK get them all? I for one hope we at least have a shot at Newman....but I know its probably a long shot.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 12:14 PM
I think UK is losing seven guys fwiw. As for the u mentioned:

Jaylen Brown: he's really attached to Adidas, so I don't think UK gets him. I know UGA really wants him. His recruitment might be the toughest to predict.

Ivan Rabb: he's a west coast guy and is basically down to Zona and Cal I believe. I'd go with Cal, because the word on the street is Kaleb Tarczewski isn't leaving Zona this summer.

Caleb Swanigan: I think Michigan St has been the fave all along. I do think if UK loses out on some other bigs, he might come here, because it seems like we're kinda keeping him at bay.

Stephen Zimmerman: Let's just hope his mother gets her way. She flat loves UK. Many say he's a west coast guy too. I get the feeling that he will come to UK. Outside of Newman,I feel most confident in Zimmerman coming to UK, but that's still not a guarantee.

Malik Newman: As much as he's said he's waiting to see who declares, I have to think this is UK's guy. He's so tight-lipped though like Brown. Who knows.

Thon Maker: I know you didn't include him but he's as elite as the other guys. I kinda think Kansas may have the inside track here. I'm not sure if we can get both Skal Labissiere and him. They are the same player somewhat. If we got Zimmerman or Swanigan, it would be a bit different to go with Skal in a complementary way.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 12:17 PM
UK will have 5 schollys open by the way if we ned of losing seven guys. We didn't use all 13 last year (we gave away one to -on in Floreal). So, that's basically only 5 schollys accounted for. We already have 3 commits. THat gives us 5 more to play with. I don't see us filling all 5. I say we try to get 3 or 4 more guys perhaps to go with what we already have. The talent level seems like it could be pretty good for UK again next year even with the mass ex

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 03:55 PM
KT, if all 7 go to the NBA who is left on the roster and what are there positions?

And I agree with you, unfortunetly I think Newman picks Uk also, he did mention that he was impressed with the Howland hire and that impressed with the guys he put into the NBA, but its just hard to beat out UK.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 03:56 PM
I forgot about Thon, he has a very interesting story...especially leaving and going back to Canada. For some reason I thought he was c/o 2016.

GDawg88
04-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I don't think UGA is realistically in the hunt for Brown. He hasn't even taken an unofficial visit yet. Unless he's really blown away by Athens, Brown ever wearing the red and black is a pipe dream.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 04:09 PM
KT, if all 7 go to the NBA who is left on the roster and what are there positions?

And I agree with you, unfortunetly I think Newman picks Uk also, he did mention that he was impressed with the Howland hire and that impressed with the guys he put into the NBA, but its just hard to beat out UK.

You're not off on Thon Maker. He was c/o 16 but he just reclassified within the last few months. Also, Chieck Diallo is a guy that deserved to be mentioned. He's the McD AA MVP. UK has a shot with him, but I think it could come down to St. John's and Kansas. Kansas (and Duke) are the only programs that give me considerable pause in recruiting.

At UK it could actually be 8 guys gone. The seven are gone for sure. Alex Poythress (SF/PF) could leave. That would leave us with:
PG Tyler Ulis
PG Dominique Hawkins
SF/PF Derek Willis
PF Marcus Lee
PF/C Skal Labissiere
SG Charles Matthews
PG/SG Isaiah Briscoe

Newman is definitely not a definite. However, he admitted he's watching to see who leaves UK.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 04:16 PM
That's why I asked who you guys would more than likely bring back, the only thing about Newman is that he said he wanted to play point....but would play at the two spot. You guys already have a couple of guys there, but Newman could easily still come in and play right away.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 04:17 PM
I don't think UGA is realistically in the hunt for Brown. He hasn't even taken an unofficial visit yet. Unless he's really blown away by Athens, Brown ever wearing the red and black is a pipe dream.

Ive seen alot of videos of this kid. He could change your year next year if you land him....very athletic, smart, and strong.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 04:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4V7J0REObs

Super athletic and strong. I like this kid

NCMISSSTFAN
04-09-2015, 04:23 PM
KT and XPS......... of the remaining guys, who would you prefer?

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 05:19 PM
That's why I asked who you guys would more than likely bring back, the only thing about Newman is that he said he wanted to play point....but would play at the two spot. You guys already have a couple of guys there, but Newman could easily still come in and play right away.

We played John Wall and Eric Bledsoe together. Also Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis. I don't think that'll be an issue.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 07:17 PM
About Jaylen Brown. He does want to go to an Adidas school, but it's just like the Harrison twins wanting to go to an Under Armour school. That worked out for UK. Hopefully the same thing happens with Jaylen Brown. UK is in some intense battles with some fellow SEC schools for local kids. Jaylen Brown in the state of Georgia and Malik Newman in the state of Mississippi.

XPS
04-09-2015, 07:29 PM
We played John Wall and Eric Bledsoe together. Also Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis. I don't think that'll be an issue.

I think we get the two

Jaylen Brown
Malik Newman Cats
Stephen Zimmerman Cats
Bradon Ingram
Thon Maker
Cheick Diallo

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 01:02 PM
I agree. Maybe we'll take a 5 th yr transfer or JUCO... or a rented player lol.

Dawgilicious
04-10-2015, 01:26 PM
You arent really in a battle with UGA for Jaylen. When you cant even get an un-official visit then you arent really a factor. He is pretty adamant about going to an adidas school. I think it is Kansas or UCLA for him

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Caleb Swanigan pops for Michigan State. I predicted that one right earlier in this thread. A lot of college basketball coaches today said he would go with Cuonzo Martin to Cal. I hope I'm right on all the others that I said earlier too in my predictions.

BleedPurpleandGold
04-11-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure LSU is still in the running for Malik Newman as well if he doesn't choose Kentucky

XPS
04-12-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm pretty sure LSU is still in the running for Malik Newman as well if he doesn't choose Kentucky

I don't see Newman playing with
ANTONIO BLAKENEY both are so similar I know LSU is trying to sell Newman on come here and play the Point guard position,but Newman will never be a pg.

XPS
04-12-2015, 08:28 AM
I think we get the two

Jaylen Brown
Malik Newman Cats
Stephen Zimmerman Cats
Bradon Ingram
Thon Maker
Cheick Diallo

Strong rumors Zimmerman will stay home and play for UNLV. I really wanted him at UK.

kentubbybasketball
04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Dave Rice doesn't make good on great talent yearly. He's lucky th at Bishop Gorman is right there. I understand the pull to stay home but out of all the schools on Zimmerman ' s list, UNLV is the worst basketball option imo.

If he does choose UNLV tho best of luck to him. I'll still root him on, because I like the things I've seen about him not just as a player. The pull of home is just too tough to pass up. We forget how close these guys may be to their families. Plus college his their last chance to play at home often. More power to him!

BleedPurpleandGold
04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
I don't see Newman playing with
ANTONIO BLAKENEY both are so similar I know LSU is trying to sell Newman on come here and play the Point guard position,but Newman will never be a pg.
Good point! Guess we'll see

Dawgilicious
04-14-2015, 03:51 AM
UGA got a commitment from rising 3* Center Michael Edwards last night out of Westland, Michigan. He has really exploded this year after only averaging 5 pts and 5 reb as a junior. As a senior he was up to 22 pts, 12 reb and 4 blocks a game. Pretty solid inside game with some nice range for a 6'10" guy, also plays through contact pretty well. Held other offers from Auburn, SMU, Nebraska, Kansas St, and Pitt

Wave&Dawgs
04-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Started a thread in the recruiting section, but Malik Newman to MSU according to Gary Parish. Huge huge huge signing. No better way far Howland to immediately endear himself to msu fans than to snag a top 5 recruit out from under Kentucky.

kentubbybasketball
04-22-2015, 05:53 PM
There are still some pretty big names out there who havent committed yet, including Jaylen Brown, Ivan Rabb, Caleb Swanigan, Stephen Zimmerman and Malik Newman. I'm assuming they are waiting to see what some of the UK players do in terms of declaring for the NBA draft. Where do you think these guys go? Will UK get them all? I for one hope we at least have a shot at Newman....but I know its probably a long shot.

Seems like you get Malik Newman. As crazy as it sounds, I'm not all that sad. The more this thing went on, I don't think he fits the culture of our program. Too many demands. Too many strange things going on here (like the website, the logo, etc). A guy with his level of talent is always nice to receive, but I'm not sure we were a good fit with Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe already aboard. I'm happy for you bro. Seems like just the right player to jumpstart your program rebuild. I hope he doing well for you guys.

Even if he ends up picking UK, I would sound the alarm. He doesn't seem ready to sacrifice the way you have to at UK given our roster makeup. Case in point Anthony Davis and WCS to name a few.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 08:34 PM
I personally won't believe it until I see it. He's been too quite and very hard to read. Waves, where did you read this?

xAuBuRn
04-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Started a thread in the recruiting section, but Malik Newman to MSU according to Gary Parish. Huge huge huge signing. No better way far Howland to immediately endear himself to msu fans than to snag a top 5 recruit out from under Kentucky.

Really?

His dad played at MSU. He is from Mississippi. That is not snagging a recruit from Kentucky. Yes they wanted him, but he was from MSU's backyard not Kentucky. It is a great get though.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 09:03 PM
To be honest though, Malik Newman would be better off at MSU (No homer), and I say this for these reasons: He has said plenty of times he wants to play the PG spot in college, if he goes to UK, that won't necessarily come true because of the incoming guards plus what UK will bring back. He also said he wants the ball in his hands....going to UK he will get his touches, but under Cal a player really doesn't shine alone, there's just too much talent on that roster for one player to shine. Coming to MSU he can play the point plus team up with a pretty good Senior guard in Craig Sword and those two make a pretty explosive back court. His AAU teamatte 4 star Quindarry Weatherspoon has also committed so he will have some familiarity at State with him. If Howland finds a way to get Malik Newman and Ray Kasongo this late, we could have a pretty formidable team next season, especially with our experience. All that being said, it still wouldn't surprise me one bit for him to choose UK.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 09:07 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/04/22/malik-newman-cbs-sports-report-/26200805/

Still not 100%. Like I said, I will believe it when I see it.

CentralMSDawg
04-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm on the seeing is believing wagon too. MSU has come from nowhere with Newman to the odds on favorite in five weeks. Just seems hard to believe, but everyone has him trending towards MSU. As for Ray Kasongo he likes Starkville and the facilities MSU has. I'd like to see him in Starkville next year too.

XPS
04-22-2015, 09:39 PM
First off congrats to Miss St. Newman is a flat out stud.

I couldn't disagree with your take more NC on Miss St is better suited for Newman. I remember Newman saying in a recent article he wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible meaning the NBA. Now let's look at some things, Will Howland's slow down grind out game suite Newman who is more suited in the open court???? I say no. Newman will no doubt be the man at State but that also come with a price. Newman will be doubled and the main focus on defense vs ever team State plays that could result in low shooting percentage.

No offense to State who hired Howland to rebuild State, that's exactly what Newman will walk into at State a part of a rebuild process, the chances of the Ncaa T SEC championships are slim to none and the NIT is more likely.

Newman would have got 30 plus minutes and possibly been a part of a final four team plus playing against The blue bloods of college basketball Duke- North Carolina - UCLA and Louisville. If I'm a betting man State will play one cupcake after another.
Simple put Newman dad won out and got his wish and who can honestly blame him for dreaming of his son playing at the school he suited up for. Best luck to Newman...

XPS
04-22-2015, 09:42 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/04/22/malik-newman-cbs-sports-report-/26200805/

Still not 100%. Like I said, I will believe it when I see it.

It's over Newman will be playing at State next year unless the China lure becomes too tempting.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 10:15 PM
XPS, why do you think it's over? Also, I'm not sure if you have heard any of Howlands press conferences but he has brought up the point that he wishes he pushed the tempo more and planned to do that at MSU.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Also, as I mentioned before, we are bringing in 4* Quindarry Weatherspoon, Johnny Zuppardo will play this year, it looks like Ray Ray Kasongo may sign..if we do add Newman to go along with Sword, Thomas as Ware...we may be an NCAA team next year.

XPS
04-22-2015, 10:30 PM
NC, I don't mean to sound arrogant but I know 100% Newman to State. I think Howland's we gonna push it more is more for the fans and recruits, we used to hear the same thing. I think Howland is a good coach i don't like his offense or there lack of but his team's do play very good defense.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Fair enough. But I still have to see it to believe it

kentubbybasketball
04-22-2015, 10:57 PM
To be honest though, Malik Newman would be better off at MSU (No homer), and I say this for these reasons: He has said plenty of times he wants to play the PG spot in college, if he goes to UK, that won't necessarily come true because of the incoming guards plus what UK will bring back. He also said he wants the ball in his hands....going to UK he will get his touches, but under Cal a player really doesn't shine alone, there's just too much talent on that roster for one player to shine. Coming to MSU he can play the point plus team up with a pretty good Senior guard in Craig Sword and those two make a pretty explosive back court. His AAU teamatte 4 star Quindarry Weatherspoon has also committed so he will have some familiarity at State with him. If Howland finds a way to get Malik Newman and Ray Kasongo this late, we could have a pretty formidable team next season, especially with our experience. All that being said, it still wouldn't surprise me one bit for him to choose UK.

Let's be honest tho. If you come to UK and sacrifice how you should, Cal can make you into a no 1 pick (Rose, Wall, Ant, KAT). Newman mat want to be a PG but he doesn't know better than Cal what he needs, which is why I'm okay if he doesn't come here. We're not going to change our system and program for one guy. If MSU will, I agree it's better for him. I'm not sure if going to MSU is better for any prospect with pro intentions tho. Compare the attention, coaches, scouting opportunities, and visibility.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-22-2015, 11:12 PM
That's where we may disagree KT. I don't believe Cal makes these one and done guys better necessarily. These guys come to him with tons of talent and are NBA bound regardless. Cal's gift is getting all of these star players to buy in and play together as one unit. Newman plans on being one and done no matter where he goes, I just personally feel MSU with Howland fits his needs best. And again that's not being a homer. I still don't even fully believe we get him just yet. But in my opinion he will flourish better with more touches. He is a high volume guy like Monta Ellis or Russell Westbrook. Those type players don't really fit into what Cal does

kentubbybasketball
04-22-2015, 11:21 PM
If you think our players don't improve that's silly. John Wall was better after he left, as all of our recruits have been. If they aren't getting better, why do the top recruits keep coming. That's a bit unfair to even insinuate. Don't get it mixed up with already having pro potential. Sure KAT had pro potential but you must not have watched us this year. By the end of the year he was sitting in the post better. He was moving his feet on D better. He improved.

I still don't get how Howland fits what he needs better given the track record of the two coaches. The only reason Howland is even considered I'd he's at MSU and Malik's dad played there. Howland has busted on so many top prospects it's almost laughable that you suggest Cal isn't improving his talent. Cal has put more guys in the league, he's always been a players first coach, he's won a title, and is a Hall of Famer. Don't see Howland being better under that comparison.

Again, we've had Brandon Knight and John Wall that scored great in our system. If Newman wants to be the guy and not about the team, I guess we agree he's at the right place given the two options. Furthermore who cares about high volume... he thinks he's a point guard.... right?

kentubbybasketball
04-22-2015, 11:30 PM
There's no disrespect intended for MSU in my comments. I do take exception with the idea however that we don't improve our guys simply because they are already on the NBA radar. How come there are busts yearly in the recruiting rankings?

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 06:13 AM
KT, let me re-phrase it...being on a college campus for about 8 months playing basketball doesn't turn these highly rated recruits into Lottery picks. Plain and simple. The majority of them are in that status before going to college, despite where they go or who they play for. I like Cal and think he is one of the best out there. I just can't sit here and say he turns one and dones to Overall #1 picks in in that short time frame...no coach does. Like I said before Cal is a mastermind at gelling all that talent , but most of them come with thay skill set and NBA potential...and that's not to say they don't improve in the one season on campus.

Wave&Dawgs
04-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Seems like you get Malik Newman. As crazy as it sounds, I'm not all that sad. The more this thing went on, I don't think he fits the culture of our program. Too many demands. Too many strange things going on here (like the website, the logo, etc). A guy with his level of talent is always nice to receive, but I'm not sure we were a good fit with Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe already aboard. I'm happy for you bro. Seems like just the right player to jumpstart your program rebuild. I hope he doing well for you guys.

Even if he ends up picking UK, I would sound the alarm. He doesn't seem ready to sacrifice the way you have to at UK given our roster makeup. Case in point Anthony Davis and WCS to name a few.

Interesting how you suddenly come up with all of this now that the news is out that he isn't going to Kentucky and is going to MSU instead. Something tells me these concerns don't surface from you if he is a wildcat.

msudawg4life
04-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Great get for the MSU Dawgs! Howland already hard at work it seems. hopefully this continues to become a trend and MSU moves back in the mix as an SEC contender in Basketball...which imo is good for the school and the SEC. UK could prob care less if they end up not getting this kid come Friday...their cupboards are certainly not empty and Coach Cal has more then enough to compete.

msudawg4life
04-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Really?

His dad played at MSU. He is from Mississippi. That is not snagging a recruit from Kentucky. Yes they wanted him, but he was from MSU's backyard not Kentucky. It is a great get though.

I think the recent Howland hiring gave him the excuse to put MSU in the mix....I'm sure MSU was always on his list..but there was no way he was going to MSU while Ray was running the ship...not because he is a bad guy or terrible coach...but because of his lack of expierence when it comes to getting athletes to the next leval from the head coaching position. Also Howland has created some buzz in the media by accepting the MSU job so he will not have to look far for that exposure he wants.

kentubbybasketball
04-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Interesting how you suddenly come up with all of this now that the news is out that he isn't going to Kentucky and is going to MSU instead. Something tells me these concerns don't surface from you if he is a wildcat.Nope. Nobody has asked, so I hadn't brought it up. However, I had the concern as far as about a week ago, especially with the demand to have the ball in his hand. At UK no one person is bigger than the program. It just wasn't going to fit our culture to have somebody coming in calling the shots about where he would play and how much he'd have the ball in his hands. It's that same kind of players running the program stuff that got Howland fired from UCLA.

Even if he chooses to come to UK, I would still have the same concern about him creating turmoil if Tyler Ulis or Isaiah Briscoe handle the ball more than he does. However, what do you expect, they are both better ballhandlers than him. At MSU that's not the case where he's got guys ahead of him. It's not sour grapes. As I said earlier, I hope it works out for MSU should he go there.

Wave&Dawgs
04-23-2015, 05:41 PM
I honestly don't follow recruiting at all, so all I really know about him is the number by his name. Tubby or anyone else who has followed him, does he potentially have Renardo Sidney knucklehead potential or is the worst thing about him that he might be a ballhog and a little full of himself? If it's the ladder I can handle that. But I am still a bit scarred by the debacle the Sidney era became.

kentubbybasketball
04-23-2015, 05:50 PM
There are not Sidney type issues here. Sidney seemed to be a headcase and that was known early in his HS career. I think Newman is an elite basketball talent, and most of those guys know what they want out of their career and they have ideas of what it will take to get them there. Newman basically saying he wants to be a point guard is not terrible. It is what he thinks he needs for the next level (and at 6'3 or so who can debate that his money is at the 1 and not the 2). That said, he knew UK was going to have Isaiah Briscoe for sure, and common sense dictated we'd have Tyler Ulis return. Why UK was even an option is confusing to me. There's something else at play here.

At MSU he will get to run things, because of where that program is. MSU needs him. Howland will give him more leeway than Cal would or should. At UK, we could bench him and probably still be fine, if he chooses to not be a quality teammate or something. At MSU, who is Howland benching him in favor of? He's making a smart business decision for him. I just don't think anybody in their right mind (with elite pro hopes) should want the coaching of Ben Howland at Mississippi State over the coaching of John Calipari (and resources) at Kentucky. Now if a player says he wants Roy Williams at UNC, Bill Self at KU, or Coach K at Duke, it's completely sensical. However, for a player that wants so much out of his pro career, it seems like the best decision from a visibility standpoint and from a proven standpoint is UK. I get wanting to be a point guard, but Eric Bledsoe came in as a PG and never really handled the ball with John Wall here, and now Bledsoe has a $70M NBA contract. I'm not sure that hurt Bledsoe in his one and done year (and Bledsoe came in ranked in the 20s, as opposed to Newman, who is top 10).

xAuBuRn
04-23-2015, 05:54 PM
I honestly don't follow recruiting at all, so all I really know about him is the number by his name. Tubby or anyone else who has followed him, does he potentially have Renardo Sidney knucklehead potential or is the worst thing about him that he might be a ballhog and a little full of himself? If it's the ladder I can handle that. But I am still a bit scarred by the debacle the Sidney era became.

There is always potential for a bust, but I would be surprised if that happened.

XPS
04-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Newman is stud and can be as good as he wants to be, he will represent State well. Sidney was a bizarre breed.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 06:51 PM
KT, why not MSU and Howland???? You described better then me why u think MSU would be a smart move, but then later say why would he choose Howland and MSU. It honestly makes perfect sense, Howland has coached a guy who wasn't as highly rated as Newman with a similar skill set in Russell Westbrook. He has a track record of putting guys in the NBA also. Plus he is close to home and playing for his Dad's former school. You know ur basketball and I know u understand why MSU is in the mix. It's bizarre to me that your saying some of the things you are.

kentubbybasketball
04-23-2015, 07:18 PM
KT, why not MSU and Howland???? You described better then me why u think MSU would be a smart move, but then later say why would he choose Howland and MSU. It honestly makes perfect sense, Howland has coached a guy who wasn't as highly rated as Newman with a similar skill set in Russell Westbrook. He has a track record of putting guys in the NBA also. Plus he is close to home and playing for his Dad's former school. You know ur basketball and I know u understand why MSU is in the mix. It's bizarre to me that your saying some of the things you are.

I think MSU is a smart move, because
*his dad played there
*its close to home
*opportunity to shine
*chance to play the position he desires.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision to go to MSU. I'm just saying for a guy that wants to be a pro, Mississippi State is not the school to prepare him best for that IMO (even though he will play the 1 there). I get the Russell Westbrook thing for Howland, but is that a trend or an abberration? For every Westbrook that Howland has, Cal has a DRose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, and Brandon Knight. I get Howland coached Russell Westbrook... cool. Bob McKillop coaches Steph Curry, does that mean getting that one guy is better than playing for a guy that coaches NBA talent on a consistent basis? Of course not.

If playing the 1 is the big difference between UK and MSU (I don't think it is honestly), again I point you to Eric Bledsoe who played out of his position at UK and still played well. Like Cal said, when you sacrifice here on a supremely talented team, everybody eats. Perhaps Newman is only focused on himself and not thinking about sacrificing... HOWEVER IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE A POINT GUARD, AS HE IS IN HIS MIND, I'D SAY SACRIFICING IS A NECESSARY EVIL. That needs to be the most unselfish player on the court imo.

Look, I keep explaining my opinion, because people keep asking. I'm done talking about it, because it sounds like sour grapes, and it's far from that. As I said, if he chooses MSU, I wish him luck. He's going to make the NBA no matter where he goes at this point.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
No sour grapes here at all KT, I know you know basketball and respect your knowledge...just a healthy debate/question.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 07:49 PM
And like Ive been saying all along, I won't believe it until I hear it tomorrow. He could easily still wind up at UK.

XPS
04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
And like Ive been saying all along, I won't believe it until I hear it tomorrow. He could easily still wind up at UK.

Lol-NC don't you believe me J/K. I'm willing to bet a friendly sig bet if Newman picks State I'll send you a picture you must use for a week and the same for myself.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Lol-NC don't you believe me J/K. I'm willing to bet a friendly sig bet if Newman picks State I'll send you a picture you must use for a week and the same for myself.

Lol, XPS I'm sure your right, just reservations man.......You guys are used to getting top notch guys, Newman can change our program and bring us back to relevance once again along with Howland...but why are you so sure???????

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 10:49 PM
But XPS, be honest.....do you guys want Newman or is he just another recruit? You guys are used to the success and accolades. Is he a need or a want?

NCMISSSTFAN
04-23-2015, 10:51 PM
KT, you can answer too

XPS
04-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Oh we need and want Newman NC. Newman could be the difference between the sweet 16 or final 4. There is one recruit left that could be at Newman's level, if UK lands Murray they won't miss a beat, but if they do UK will struggle scoring the ball.

msudawg4life
04-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Always is so interesting to see the opinions of different UK fans...one thinks its a good move for UK to not get him...one think he's a season changer..God bless America!

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Always is so interesting to see the opinions of different UK fans...one thinks its a good move for UK to not get him...one think he's a season changer..God bless America!

I've already said he's an elite talent but if he's not going to be a team player, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We've has our share of team turmoil, and I would take lesser guys that play together over sole guys with agendas.

TexasFight
04-24-2015, 06:08 AM
He's not a "team player" because he may want to stay home and not be one of many McDonalds All-Americans at Kentucky? What kind of fool logic is that? Do you know Malik Newman personally? Are you acquainted with his family, or is it just a product of your omniscience, Basketball Jesus? Are all recruits who decline to play at Kentucky not "team players?"

XPS
04-24-2015, 09:53 AM
My sources revealed Ole Miss was right on States heals for Newman's services, but the taxi ride with Andy didn't go very well....

xAuBuRn
04-24-2015, 10:48 AM
I've already said he's an elite talent but if he's not going to be a team player, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. We've has our share of team turmoil, and I would take lesser guys that play together over sole guys with agendas.

That is a pretty big assumption for someone that probably has never met the kid. just saying....

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
That is a pretty big assumption for someone that probably has never met the kid. just saying....

As I said earlier, it really seems odd to me that all of this is suddently coming out about the kid from certain posters now that Kentucky seems out of the running for him. It's like when a guy gets rejected buy a girl, then rationalizes it by saying she wasn't good for him anyway. I would just about guarantee you don't hear any of these concerns surface if he had gone to Kentucky.

xAuBuRn
04-24-2015, 01:34 PM
As I said earlier, it really seems odd to me that all of this is suddently coming out about the kid from certain posters now that Kentucky seems out of the running for him. It's like when a guy gets rejected buy a girl, then rationalizes it by saying she wasn't good for him anyway. I would just about guarantee you don't hear any of these concerns surface if he had gone to Kentucky.

I cannot argue with you on that. Kentucky will be fine without him, but to say he is not a "team player" when he chose his instate school is baffling.

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 01:43 PM
It's official! Malik to MSU! Awesome, awesome day for the program. Howland wasting no time making this program a contender again. Gotta love it.

msudawg4life
04-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Fair enough...My post wasn't intended to bash..just enjoy the difference of opinions on the site. You are right..maybe he wouldn't of worked well in the UK system..but again maybe UK missed out on a season changing type player...only time will tell I guess.

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Cool. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just as you don't respect mine, I don't like yours. As I told NC and 4life, who I respect, I'm done talking about that as far as Newman goes (I didn't say he wasn't a team player). I was asked my opinion about the situation, so I gave it. If you don't like it or don't want to read it, don't. Furthermore, you've made judgments about me before and you've never me, so you're guilty of the same thing. End of the day, UK has lost plenty of recruits. I'm not sure why I'd say negative stuff about Newman all of a sudden because he didn't pick UK when I didn't do it with Jahlil Okafor and plenty of other guys that didn't choose UK. Get real people.

As for Newman's announcement. I am happy for him. Congrats to him on making a hugely important decision. As I have maintained the whole time, I hope it works out well for him. I hope he continues to do well, and I hope he fits within the team dynamic and gets to play at point guard and develop at what will have to be his pro position. I especially hope this decision and the Howland hire in general works out for MSU. NC and 4life you guys deserve a great program. Plus, I enjoy the back and forth with you both, especially when your team is better. I look forward to getting back to that.

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 06:27 PM

Just don't make any racial judgments.

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Tubby, I don't even know what race even has to do with this conversation. For someone who doesn't like race being brought up, you sure do bring it up a bunch.

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 07:39 PM
NC and 4life you guys deserve a great program. Plus, I enjoy the back and forth with you both, especially when your team is better. I look forward to getting back to that.

Hey Tubby, you should be a little more passive aggressive here! :rotf:

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 07:48 PM
End of the day, UK has lost plenty of recruits. I'm not sure why I'd say negative stuff about Newman all of a sudden because he didn't pick UK when I didn't do it with Jahlil Okafor and plenty of other guys that didn't choose UK. Get real people.

Yeah, because Okafor didn't go to MSU. It's so obvious how much it grinds your gears that Kentucky lost a big time recruit to MSU. I find it hilarious.

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Tubby, I don't even know what race even has to do with this conversation. For someone who doesn't like race being brought up, you sure do bring it up a bunch.
Yep only because you brought it up first. Very distasteful. Did you or did you not?

Anyway, NC and 4life, you guys have a one and done level talent in Newman. You think he stays an extra year?

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Yep only because you brought it up first. Very distasteful. Did you or did you not?

In this thread? Nope.

Since we had out PM convo clearing up those concerns? Nope

Just you have brought it up since then. I'm past that. Apparently you are not.

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Anyway, NC and 4life, you guys have a one and done level talent in Newman. You think he stays an extra year?

Back to the regularly-scheduled program of Malik Newman and other uncommitted players.

XPS
04-24-2015, 09:17 PM

Not addressed to me but there is 0 chance Newman stays longer then one year. The Talent level in the SEC is going up.

Wave&Dawgs
04-24-2015, 09:23 PM

Post reported. Should have gone this route in the first place instead of derailing the thread. Carry on.

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 09:26 PM
X, of course you can answer. You know your opinion is greatly respected. d as a 100% chance he leaves. With as much grief as Andrew Harrison got as a true PG, while dealing with the step up in competition level will not be as easy to learn the difference between points vs playing the point. He said today he think he's the guy to get the ball to when they need a score in crunch time. Now, if you're Steph However, I'm not sure that's the right mindset that GMs are going to want completely. Can he engage his teammates, and is that something he can learn in a year, especially from Howland?

kentubbybasketball
04-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Post reported. Should have gone this route in the first place instead of derailing the thread. Carry on.

Do what you gotta do. I've already moved on. :)

NCMISSSTFAN
04-24-2015, 10:44 PM
I think he is one and done regardless. But IMO, he will end up being a small 2 guard in the league, like a Monte Ellis.

XPS
04-24-2015, 10:56 PM
I think he is one and done regardless. But IMO, he will end up being a small 2 guard in the league, like a Monte Ellis.

Agreed. I'm not buying this pg stuff and just because he plays pg for State doesn't mean the NBA will feel obligated to play him as a pg. He is a outstanding strong 2g who can create his own shot at any time.

XPS
04-24-2015, 11:03 PM
X, of course you can answer. You know your opinion is greatly respected. d as a 100% chance he leaves. With as much grief as Andrew Harrison got as a true PG, while dealing with the step up in competition level will not be as easy to learn the difference between points vs playing the point. He said today he think he's the guy to get the ball to when they need a score in crunch time. Now, if you're Steph However, I'm not sure that's the right mindset that GMs are going to want completely. Can he engage his teammates, and is that something he can learn in a year, especially from Howland?

One cant blame Howland for bringing in the best talent, however, he won't get any free rides his first year with a projected NBA lottery pick and this will be a huge factor in Howland's future recruiting in how he handles Newman and the progress thourgh out the year.I look for Howland's system to be a learning curve for much of the season.

msudawg4life
04-24-2015, 11:24 PM
As much as I'd like to hope he stays 2 I believe Howland and everyone else for that matter knows this kid is a 1&D player. Baring some type of injury that hurt his draft stock forcing him to stick around and prove himself I'd assume hes gone after this year.

XPS
04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
As much as I'd like to hope he stays 2 I believe Howland and everyone else for that matter knows this kid is a 1&D player. Baring some type of injury that hurt his draft stock forcing him to stick around and prove himself I'd assume hes gone after this year.

State and Howland needs Newman to be one and done or it will be used against them in recruiting.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 07:01 AM

I agree. I just hope he's not tricked into thinking playing PG one year at college, especially in a halfcourt system like Howland usually plays is going to prepare him for PG duties in th e NBA.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 07:06 AM
One cant blame Howland for bringing in the best talent, however, he won't get any free rides his first year with a projected NBA lottery pick and this will be a huge factor in Howland's future recruiting in how he handles Newman and the progress thourgh out the year.I look for Howland's system to be a learning curve for much of the season.

And let's face it Howland's track record with one and dones is more terrible than good. We hear about Westbrook (he wasn't a one and done on the trail). I'll give Howland Kevin Love, but he's a big guy, which benefit in Howland's plodding system. Kyle Anderson was ranked higher than Newman and that wasn't one and done. Shabazz Muhammad's stock dropped over his kne year and he was the #2 recruit. Darren Collison is doing well as a pro, but he stayed more than one year. Trevor Ariza is another feather in the cap.

I just wouldn't trust Howland's coaching over Bill Self or anybody else on that level.

CentralMSDawg
04-25-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm just glad to see a McDonald's All American stay in state. Newman is the first to do as far as I know. Some of the others that didn't were Chris Jackson, Litterial Green, Monta Ellis, and Othello Harrington. Even with him being a one and done it's great to see him stay in the state of Mississippi.

kentubbybasketball
04-25-2015, 07:16 PM
4life, I emptied my private message inbox. Send what you tried to send, bro.

XPS
04-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Cal is talked about as that greatest recruiter ever. Lose 7 players to the NBA all kind of PT and Cal has missed on all major targets and has managed to land one Jr college player. If UK misses out on Murray you better believe UK will be mediocre and have lots of trouble scoring.

xAuBuRn
04-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Cal is talked about as that greatest recruiter ever. Lose 7 players to the NBA all kind of PT and Cal has missed on all major targets and has managed to land one Jr college player. If UK misses out on Murray you better believe UK will be mediocre and have lots of trouble scoring.

Firecal.com

kentubbybasketball
04-28-2015, 07:37 PM
X, it's still a top 3 class. Losing Slice hurt, and geography played a role. I'm not frustrated

NCMISSSTFAN
04-28-2015, 08:05 PM
I still think UK will be fine because there's talent currently there, and talent coming in but I was surprised myself that Cal didn't get a couple of the remaining high profile recruits.

XPS
04-28-2015, 08:36 PM
X, it's still a top 3 class. Losing Slice hurt, and geography played a role. I'm not frustrated

Kt I promise you Cal would have fought hard for some players to stay if he would have known he would strike out on all the top targets. Like I said UK will be fine if they sign Murray.

kentubbybasketball
04-29-2015, 06:46 AM
I don't think Cal would have. He always says he wants players to declare of they have a chance, and he'll figure out the next roster. That's the current process, figuring out next year's roster. Will Cal wish Johnson and Booker were here during next season? Sure. I bet there were times he wished Young and Randle were on this 38-1 team, too.

XPS
04-29-2015, 08:34 AM
I don't think Cal would have. He always says he wants players to declare of they have a chance, and he'll figure out the next roster. That's the current process, figuring out next year's roster. Will Cal wish Johnson and Booker were here during next season? Sure. I bet there were times he wished Young and Randle were on this 38-1 team, too.

I think the platoon hurt recruiting and honestly believe Cal was uncomfortable playing that many players.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Do you guys prefer a 5 star roster across the board or do you think role players mixed in there are a little more vital?

kentubbybasketball
04-29-2015, 12:20 PM
I think the platoon hurt recruiting and honestly believe Cal was uncomfortable playing that many players.
Cal is so elusive with his offers that guys get offers so late that maybe others use it as negative recruiting.

NC, I'd rather have a mix, which we do have with guys like Willis and Hawkins who are for year guys. They just don't have much experience.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
I agree KT, but Cal is one of very few coaches who can get all those star players to play together. Traditionally though, I would like a mix as well. On most teams, players need to have roles, some bigger then others.

kentubbybasketball
04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
We've had great years with a mix and without. I enjoy getting to know players over the course of time more than anything basketball related.

XPS
04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
I still think UK will be fine because there's talent currently there, and talent coming in but I was surprised myself that Cal didn't get a couple of the remaining high profile recruits.

I wish Cal would go back to juniors and seniors and one 1& done like at Memphis.

GoDores
04-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Haven't heard any news. Is Ky missing on some recruits they thought they'd get? I've always wondered what would happen if one year Cal wasn't able to reload. Losing 7 guys off a team is a ton.

I think the 1 and done rule is dumb. If someone wants to go to the NBA after high school, they should be free too. I personally, would also hate it as a Ky fan having a near complete roster turnover every year. One thing I love is watching guys come in as freshmen, develop together, maybe even overcome some struggles and then prosper by seniors. I hope this freshman class Vandy has stays together all 4 years because they could be something special after it's all done.

kentubbybasketball
04-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Of course we want our guys more than one year but also like final fours, and we have gone to four of them in five years.

I guess I fail to see how we haven't reloaded. We have the third best class in the country with a chance to finish first... we have the best player in the class signed. The sky is NOT falling. Did we replace seven with seven? No but considered we had to platoon last yr because of being overstocked I'd say we are fine.

People should calm down a little. Cal doesn't need recruiting advice from any of us.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-29-2015, 09:38 PM
I wish Cal would go back to juniors and seniors and one 1& done like at Memphis.

I can understand why you would want that, teams with experience sprinkled in there with the talent usually has good seasons. But Cal has shown he can do it with young teams. I also agree with KT in that its nice for some of the players to stick around, just to get to know them and watch there development. As an MSU fan I saw that in Jarvis Varnado.

kentubbybasketball
04-29-2015, 09:49 PM
I think the 1 and done rule is dumb. If someone wants to go to the NBA after high school, they should be free too. I personally, would also hate it as a Ky fan having a near complete roster turnover every year. One thing I love is watching guys come in as freshmen, develop together, maybe even overcome some struggles and then prosper by seniors. I hope this freshman class Vandy has stays together all 4 years because they could be something special after it's all done.
If that's how you truly feel then you should understand why WCS is so beloved. We got to know him over 3 years and he built a love affair with this fanbase to where he'll never pay for anything I'm this state again.

As for one and done. If you're okay with none and done (HS to NBA route), isn't one year even better? The fact we got Anthony Davis and Brandon Knight for one year was fabulous. Certainly better than the zero years we got from would be UK players like Dirk and Tracy McGrady.

Wave&Dawgs
04-30-2015, 04:17 PM
People should calm down a little. Cal doesn't need recruiting advice from any of us.

If everyone just agreed with everything every coach did all the time, this board would be boring. I think everyone is fully aware that Cal isn't reading these posts. It's just people giving their opinions, buddy.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Who is left out there? I know Howland is trying to land a kid named Dikembe Dixson still, Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas State are also trying to get him as well. Who else is available? UK fans are your needs filled or is Cal still after a couple of guys? Are you comfortable with the current roster?

Herchel
05-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Who is left out there? I know Howland is trying to land a kid named Dikembe Dixson still, Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas State are also trying to get him as well. Who else is available? UK fans are your needs filled or is Cal still after a couple of guys? Are you comfortable with the current roster?
Tevin Mack. Left VCU when Smart went to Texas.

XPS
05-05-2015, 05:58 PM

I'm not comfortable at all, we have no 2 guards. If UKs prize recruit is cleared to play he could be one of the greats. UK will have top 25 talent, however I think shooting will be the death of us and you better believe this UK team will see zone all year long....

Teams better get UK this year because UK will load up next year with bigtime Talent.

kentubbybasketball
05-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Not worried it's just basketball. We will be fine. People would kill to have our talent. Can only play five at a time. We didn't have a 3 this year and made it work. Hopefully we will next year. We'll have a national title soon hopefully.

NCMISSSTFAN
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
XPS and KT, did you guys see the statement that Cal made saying he wouldn't do the platoon system again? Was this geared towards recruits? How did you feel about the comments and do you think that may be a reason UK didn't close on alot of highly rated recruits this year?

XPS
05-05-2015, 07:55 PM
XPS and KT, did you guys see the statement that Cal made saying he wouldn't do the platoon system again? Was this geared towards recruits? How did you feel about the comments and do you think that may be a reason UK didn't close on alot of highly rated recruits this year?

Yes NC that was geared towards recruits and used against us.

kentubbybasketball
05-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Cal posts recruiting manifestos as he calls them almost every summer. I'm not sure if people are negative recruiting using the platoon stuff, but I have heard the speculation.