Next Year [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

GoDores
04-07-2015, 11:49 PM
The SEC is getting good projections right now for next season. I think I've seen six different teams ranked in early top 25 polls: Kentucky, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, A&M, and Vandy. Maybe Florida too but I can't remember.

Lunardi has 7 teams in his first bracketology for next year. Jay Bilas predicted the SEC would be the best conference next year. Still a lot to sort out before then, but maybe things are fully turning around for the conference.

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 06:55 AM
We'll see who stays and who goes. Technically we might not lose anybody. I expect us to be a top 5 team, maybe even higher. Seems like 2012 where UNC and UK are at the top.

As for the SEC, this is the best the coaching has ever been. However, somebody has to lose. Not everybody can win. It'll be neat to see what gives.

XPS
04-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Mediocre coaching will allways keep the SEC from being the best basketball conference.

VandyChuck
04-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Where's our list of who's staying and who's going? Who's official so far besides Martin and Mickey

Herchel
04-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Where's our list of who's staying and who's going? Who's official so far besides Martin and Mickey
Sadly, UGA had no one good enough to leave as an underclassman.

GoDores
04-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Michael Frazier - Florida

That's all I think that's 100% right now. WCS basically unofficially said he's leaving.

VandyChuck
04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Both Harrison twins just declared.

GoDores
04-08-2015, 05:46 PM
UPDATED:

Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky

VandyChuck
04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Can't wait for the Andrew Harrison press conference

*snicker*

XPS
04-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Dakari Johnson NBA bound

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Great for Dakari! I think he reverted some this year and never quite found his footing. I'm so happy for him.

GoDores
04-14-2015, 06:01 PM
UPDATED:
DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky
Bobby Portis - Ark

COMING BACK:
Dorian Finney-Smith - Florida,
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

Still TBD - Michael Portis.

Am I missing anything?

xAuBuRn
04-14-2015, 06:08 PM
UPDATED:
DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky
Bobby Portis - Ark

COMING BACK:
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

Still TBD - Michael Portis.

Am I missing anything?

That is insane that Kentucky had 10 players that will probably play in the NBA. I still cannot believe they lost to Wisconsin, but they should be very good again next year. That is more than the rest of the SEC has COMBINED.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2015, 07:08 PM
We've got some guys who have been waiting in the wings too like Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins. They'll get their opportunity next year.

XPS
04-14-2015, 07:41 PM
That is insane that Kentucky had 10 players that will probably play in the NBA. I still cannot believe they lost to Wisconsin, but they should be very good again next year. That is more than the rest of the SEC has COMBINED.

Only Towns has a chance to be a star. Twins will be second round and let's hope they are comfortable playing in another country. Lyles and Booker will cut there self many years playing in the NBA because both needed another year to mature and get stronger. Johnson will be second round and honestly was struggling 1 foot from the basket he will be a good practice player and back up in case of injury. WCS will play along time in NBA but his lack of offense will keep him as back up at best. Let's not pretend UK had a bunch of future NBA all-stars.

XPS
04-14-2015, 07:55 PM
We've got some guys who have been waiting in the wings too like Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins. They'll get their opportunity next year.

Kt if UK misses out on Newman next year's team will struggle scoring the ball. I'm hearing Newman to Miss St I'm hoping it's all smoke.

kentubbybasketball
04-14-2015, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Newman went to the overseas league honestly.

xAuBuRn
04-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Only Towns has a chance to be a star. Twins will be second round and let's hope they are comfortable playing in another country. Lyles and Booker will cut there self many years playing in the NBA because both needed another year to mature and get stronger. Johnson will be second round and honestly was struggling 1 foot from the basket he will be a good practice player and back up in case of injury. WCS will play along time in NBA but his lack of offense will keep him as back up at best. Let's not pretend UK had a bunch of future NBA all-stars.

I never said they had a bunch of super stars. I don't agree with this. Lyles and Booker will cut there self many years playing in the NBA because both needed another year to mature and get stronger. (seems like sour grapes to me) What can they do at Kentucky that they cannot do at the NBA level while getting paid? I think Booker will be a very good player. Maybe not a superstar, but he is a excellent shooter. Has there ever been a team that had 10 players that were drafted? It is an excellent recruiting tool also.

XPS
04-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I never said they had a bunch of super stars. I don't agree with this. Lyles and Booker will cut there self many years playing in the NBA because both needed another year to mature and get stronger. (seems like sour grapes to me) What can they do at Kentucky that they cannot do at the NBA level while getting paid? I think Booker will be a very good player. Maybe not a superstar, but he is a excellent shooter. Has there ever been a team that had 10 players that were drafted? It is an excellent recruiting tool also.

It's 7 players not 10 and how is that sour grapes? I figured Lyles would go and suprised Booker left. Going from 30 games to 80 is a big deal, going from playing against players smaller then you to players as big or bigger is a big deal as well as being a important part of the team to a after thought. The NBA don't mess around you only have so long to produce or its on to the next batch of players. I really feel like Lyles and Booker could have improved on year 2 that could have prepared them to be more mentally and physically ready for the NBA. There are a lot of examples of players that could have used that second year.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 07:06 AM
I think they made good decisions. They are instant millionaires. If the NBA doesn't work out, they can go to Europe or other countries, as Melvin Booker and Tom Lyles dud (both of their dads). Nothing wrong with that at all.

XPS
04-15-2015, 08:37 AM
I think they made good decisions. They are instant millionaires. If the NBA doesn't work out, they can go to Europe or other countries, as Melvin Booker and Tom Lyles dud (both of their dads). Nothing wrong with that at all.

There dreams are playing in the NBA KT. I wish them the best.....

xAuBuRn
04-15-2015, 11:09 AM
It's 7 players not 10 and how is that sour grapes? I figured Lyles would go and suprised Booker left. Going from 30 games to 80 is a big deal, going from playing against players smaller then you to players as big or bigger is a big deal as well as being a important part of the team to a after thought. The NBA don't mess around you only have so long to produce or its on to the next batch of players. I really feel like Lyles and Booker could have improved on year 2 that could have prepared them to be more mentally and physically ready for the NBA. There are a lot of examples of players that could have used that second year.

It will be 7 this year, but from this team 10 will probably go onto play in the NBA. Would you rather do your job for free? Like you said these guys are probably not going to be superstars minus KAT. They probably will not have long NBA careers so one more year making NBA money may determine if they need to get another job after the NBA or if they can live off what they earned. NBA has good coaches also so to think Lyles or Booker will not learn anything from them I think would be incorrect. You say Booker and Lyels should of come back and then went on to say they will not have long careers. That sounded like sour grapes. It doesn't matter though.

XPS
04-15-2015, 01:40 PM
It will be 7 this year, but from this team 10 will probably go onto play in the NBA. Would you rather do your job for free? Like you said these guys are probably not going to be superstars minus KAT. They probably will not have long NBA careers so one more year making NBA money may determine if they need to get another job after the NBA or if they can live off what they earned. NBA has good coaches also so to think Lyles or Booker will not learn anything from them I think would be incorrect. You say Booker and Lyels should of come back and then went on to say they will not have long careers. That sounded like sour grapes. It doesn't matter though.

I think they could have prolonged there NBA career with another year what's wrong with that, just my opinion.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Kt if UK misses out on Newman next year's team will struggle scoring the ball. I'm hearing Newman to Miss St I'm hoping it's all smoke.

A lot of what I have been reading on other sites and the scuttlebutt is that it is between UK and Mississippi State. but like KT said, others are saying he may go overseas. Newman has made it pretty clear that he wants to be in the NBA asap so it wouldn't suprise me if he goes overseas for the money, then heads to the NBA. The only negative I think UK has is you already have alot of talent there and are bringing in more. Newman wants to play PG and wants the ball in his hands so that could give some of these other schools in the running a good chance at him. Hopefully it's us....we have his AAU team team mate signed already (4 star Weatherspoon) and he and his Dad seemed fond of the Howland hire because of his background of getting guys to the league, but when it's all said and done...who really knows what happens with him

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 03:22 PM
There dreams are playing in the NBA KT. I wish them the best.....

I do, too. Sometimes your dreams are not met, XPS. But, they will be in the NBA for three years at least. I don't think Marquis Teague is in too bad of a position now that he's out of the NBA for instance. Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I don't think xAuBuRn's comment was meant as a slight or even a negative.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 03:24 PM
I think they could have prolonged there NBA career with another year what's wrong with that, just my opinion.

Another year of college doesn't guarantee anything. You just said the same thing about Damion Jones at Vandy. lol Who's to say either would have done enough to better than stock after another year of college. Plus, we look at college as a chance to better their games, but that's not all that college entails. First, some guys may not like class. Secondly, some guys may not be able to withstand holding off millions for their families. (I don't think Lyles or Booker are in either of those situations). I'm just making the point that if their own coach is supporting the decision as Cal is, it seems like a all around positive to me.

VandyChuck
04-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Qualls gone per Twitter

XPS
04-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Another year of college doesn't guarantee anything. You just said the same thing about Damion Jones at Vandy. lol Who's to say either would have done enough to better than stock after another year of college. Plus, we look at college as a chance to better their games, but that's not all that college entails. First, some guys may not like class. Secondly, some guys may not be able to withstand holding off millions for their families. (I don't think Lyles or Booker are in either of those situations). I'm just making the point that if their own coach is supporting the decision as Cal is, it seems like a all around positive to me.

Playing 2 years compared to 3 and 4 Kt is a big difference. I do feel like 2 years for some are better.

GoDores
04-15-2015, 04:56 PM
UPDATED:
DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky
Bobby Portis - Ark
Michael Qualls - Ark

COMING BACK:
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

I think that's a final list.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on their team next year. I really like Vandy as being right up there towards the top. I'd put them top 3 right now. It seems like UK, LSU, A&M, Vandy, UGA, and maybe Florida are looking promising.

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Playing 2 years compared to 3 and 4 Kt is a big difference. I do feel like 2 years for some are better.

I am in agreement but I can't put what I think on any of these kids. If they play in the NBA with same drive they had here, how could you doubt any of them?

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 07:25 PM
UPDATED:
DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky
Bobby Portis - Ark
Michael Qualls - Ark

COMING BACK:
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

I think that's a final list.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on their team next year. I really like Vandy as being right up there towards the top. I'd put them top 3 right now. It seems like UK, LSU, A&M, Vandy, UGA, and maybe Florida are looking promising.

UK seems to have th e most talent and best coach. What that guarantees is nothing. Until somebody proves otherwise this league run thru UF and UK. Nobody else has even come close to winning the league since Cal has been here. I'll never doubt Florida either.

It'll be interesting to see why the player of the year is. I cant remember the last time a guy at 5'9 was SEC POY. Could have one next year.

XPS
04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
UK seems to have th e most talent and best coach. What that guarantees is nothing. Until somebody proves otherwise this league run thru UF and UK. Nobody else has even come close to winning the league since Cal has been here. I'll never doubt Florida either.

It'll be interesting to see why the player of the year is. I can't the at 5'9 SEC POY. Could have one next year.

The SEC will be worse next year, to many hits to over come. I'm honestly trying to think of a legit top 25 team???? If UKs best player is ineligible to play and Cal misses on all remaining top targets, the Cats will be very average and look at the early schedule Duke- at UNC- Louisville - Purdue plus big 12 team to be announced....

kentubbybasketball
04-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Purdue? I wasn't aware we were playing them. Where is that game?

The SEC probably has 7 or 8 ranked recruiting classes which will help. The coaching is much improved too. Don't mess with the SEC quite yet. It's headed toward being the best league in two or three years.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Purdue? I wasn't aware we were playing them. Where is that game?

The SEC probably has 7 or 8 ranked recruiting classes which will help. The coaching is much improved too. Don't mess with the SEC quite yet. It's headed toward being the best league in two or three years.

I agree, I like the recruiting classes and the Coaches we have now. I still think the ACC is going to be a step ahead of us with there coaches but we have some great named coaches in:

Cal
Donovan
Howland
Barnes
Pearl

I'd even throw Avery Johnson on there because of has NBA experience, he's coached in an NBA finals before. He just needs to surround himself with great Assistants who know the college format.

Here's a pretty good article on that:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/high-profile-coach-hires-could-improve-sec-basketball-170119583--ncaab.html

XPS
04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
I agree, I like the recruiting classes and the Coaches we have now. I still think the ACC is going to be a step ahead of us with there coaches but we have some great named coaches in:

Cal
Donovan
Howland
Barnes
Pearl

I'd even throw Avery Johnson on there because of has NBA experience, he's coached in an NBA finals before. He just needs to surround himself with great Assistants who know the college format.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/high-profile-coach-hires-could-improve-sec-basketball-170119583--ncaab.html

Barnes and Howland a couple of fired coaches from top programs with enough talent in the back yard to advance to the sweet 16 ever year. I don't get the hype... Neither one will get half the talent they had at Texas and UCLA..

XPS
04-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Cal
Donovan
Howland
Barnes
Pearl

Barnes and Howland a couple of fired coaches from top programs with enough talent in the back yard to advance to the sweet 16 ever year. I don't get the hype... Neither one will get half the talent they had at Texas and UCLA..

GoDores
04-16-2015, 02:48 PM

I think Barnes is so mediocre. Tennessee basketball is in trouble.

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Doesn't mediocre mean .500? He's way better than mediocre. Stallings is more mediocre than Barnes.

GoDores
04-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Mediocre is taking the talent he had at Texas and doing what he did with it. Double digit losses in 6 out of the last 7 years and only winning more than 1 NCAAT game once in that span. Everyone called Barnes a "safe" hire. And I'd agree with that. I don't think Barnes will do any better than Cuonzo Martin did. I actually thought Tyndall did a pretty good job last year. I'm glad he's no longer there.

If you want to compare to Stallings, Barnes has a winning percentage of 66% to Stallings' 62%; that's basically one more win per season. So yea, by that definition Stallings is more mediocre. But I'd be willing to bet that Texas consistently had more talent than Vandy did over the last decade. They've put a lot more players in the NBA at least.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Maybe they did, but since when do you grade on a curve. Wins and wins. Losses are losses. Barnes has three Elite 8s in his career; one final four. You can focus on the last 7 years. The last 10 years. The last 2 years. The last 7.4 years. It doesn't matter. His career is what it is. I don't fidn anybody at Providence or Clemson that complains about him. And, let's face it he was fired after going to 16 of 17 NCAAT at Texas. Stallings will never do such a thing. Stallings wasn't fired after a 3-13 SEC season in 2003 that included a 62 point loss. So, sure, Stallings is at a lesser school, but that's also saved his hide a time or two.

NCMISSSTFAN
04-17-2015, 04:18 PM

In reference to Howland....you must have forgot, he coached at Pitt before UCLA and won alot of games with the lesser talent you speak of. He took Pitt to a couple of sweet 16's with players that weren't highly recruited. Barnes is a coach that has been successful as well and had brought alot of talent to Texas. I like them both for the SEC.

XPS
04-17-2015, 05:27 PM
In reference to Howland....you must have forgot, he coached at Pitt before UCLA and won alot of games with the lesser talent you speak of. He took Pitt to a couple of sweet 16's with players that weren't highly recruited. Barnes is a coach that has been successful as well and had brought alot of talent to Texas. I like them both for the SEC.

Howland had some good teams no doubt, I think Howland's style of play doomed him at UCLA. My point is any really good coach should be able to coach up a hand full of programs and sustain success each year. UCLA-Kansas-Duke- UK-UNC and Indiana....

VandyChuck
04-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Stallings did an upper 1/4 coaching job in the league this year with the 3rd youngest team in the country this year. (and not young as in "Kentucky young")

I do remember him beating up Calipari's boys in the SECT with UK's best team in a while and since (spare me the "we didn't care", spiel). The man can coach, it's just way more hard than any of you can imagine to get good talent to come to Vanderbilt. There are strict standards, as I'm sure you know.

People called the 2012 team a great team, and filled with talent, but Taylor, Jenkins, nor Ezeli have broken through at all in the NBA. Stallings got a lot out of them.

Bama_Man
04-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Howland had some good teams no doubt, I think Howland's style of play doomed him at UCLA. My point is any really good coach should be able to coach up a hand full of programs and sustain success each year. UCLA-Kansas-Duke- UK-UNC and Indiana....

If Howland had let his UCLA teams run, they would have won a national title IMO

kentubbybasketball
04-18-2015, 04:23 AM
Stallings did an upper 1/4 coaching job in the league this year with the 3rd youngest team in the country this year. (and not young as in "Kentucky young")

I do remember him beating up Calipari's boys in the SECT with UK's best team in a while and since (spare me the "we didn't care", spiel). The man can coach, it's just way more hard than any of you can imagine to get good talent to come to Vanderbilt. There are strict standards, as I'm sure you know.

People called the 2012 team a great team, and filled with talent, but Taylor, Jenkins, nor Ezeli have broken through at all in the NBA. Stallings got a lot out of them.

Just about anybody can have a good coaching job every few years. The point is its silly to not afford Barnes the same consideration. Btw, thanks for beating us in '12. It helped us refocus. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

You just restated my point about Vandy vs Texas. The fact Vandy has lower expectations has saved Stallings. Who else stays somewhere for 15 years with fewer NCAAT bids than non NCAA bids? Barnes went all but one year at Texas, which was nothing before him. Vandy might've gad even more history than Texas pre Barnes. It is what it is.

XPS
04-18-2015, 08:24 AM

Lmao at this post. Making excuses for Stallings is very cute Chuck and the only thing Vandy fans have to hang on to is the 12 win over UK lol. Poor Stallings and his recruiting restrictions at Vandy cry us a river.

Cleveland St 2011 loss
Indiana St 2011 loss

I'm guessing poor Stallings shouldn't have the same Talent level as those teams Obove? Also, one of Vandy's best teams ever beats a great UK team, yet loses to the teams above and gets bounced in the second round. I can't believe Chuck is suggesting players who don't perform well in the NBA shouldn't be remembered as great players in college.

15 years at Vandy
2 sweet 16's
1 SEC tournament championship
6 Ncaa appearances
5 NIT appearances
5 seasons of no post seasons
12 winning seasons
3 losing seasons
5 winning seasons in the SEC
6 losing seasons in the SEC
5 500 seasons in the SEC

127-135 SEC record.485 percent

This screams mediocre plus the SEC has not been exactly the toughest conference.

XPS
04-18-2015, 08:25 AM
If Howland had let his UCLA teams run, they would have won a national title IMO

Agreed

VandyChuck
04-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Lmao at this post. Making excuses for Stallings is very cute Chuck and the only thing Vandy fans have to hang on to is the 12 win over UK lol. Poor Stallings and his recruiting restrictions at Vandy cry us a river.

Cleveland St 2011 loss
Indiana St 2011 loss

I'm guessing poor Stallings shouldn't have the same Talent level as those teams Obove? Also, one of Vandy's best teams ever beats a great UK team, yet loses to the teams above and gets bounced in the second round. I can't believe Chuck is suggesting players who don't perform well in the NBA shouldn't be remembered as great players in college.

15 years at Vandy
2 sweet 16's
1 SEC tournament championship
6 Ncaa appearances
5 NIT appearances
5 seasons of no post seasons
12 winning seasons
3 losing seasons
5 winning seasons in the SEC
6 losing seasons in the SEC
5 500 seasons in the SEC

127-135 SEC record.485 percent

This screams mediocre plus the SEC has not been exactly the toughest conference.

It's so cute that you did all that research.

GoDores
04-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Vandy is different than every SEC school in a lot of ways and it needs to be that way for us to have our competitive advantages. In my opinion, I think one of these competitive advantages when it comes to coaches is that the AD is very reasonable. David Williams is not going to fire a coach and bring in the next one after one disappointing year. I believe coaches have more job security at Vandy than any other SEC school. This is not to say that we don't want to win. Because that's not true. In the past 3 years Vandy has won a National Championship and SEC championship in major sports. But expectations are relevant and reasonable.

kentubbybasketball
04-18-2015, 02:42 PM
So, in other words you're restating what said about job security. To me you're not in a position to criticize Rick Barnes, if you're not going to criticize Stallings. What was Texas before Rick Barnes. I mean seriously? What was it. Barnes raised the expectations on himself by how great he was there from 1997 to about 2006, which was a time where he was so much better than mediocre it's insulting you would even suggest it.

Now, I'll give Stallings he should have had an Elite 8 in 2007 over Jeff Green and G'Town. I'll give you that (I once saw Frank Martin tell Kevin Stallings that Stalling is an Elite 8 coach, and Stallings said "something like that." It was pretty funny even though Stallings is usually not funny). Stallings should have an Elite 8 on his resume. That said, we can't act like Stallings hasn't had talent. I would have loved to have a player like Matt Frejie on my team. What about Jenkins, Ogilvy, Ezeli, Taylor, Byars, Foster, and we could go on and on with the likes of Lachance, Fisher-Davis, Baldwin now. He's not got a recruiting problem at all.

kentubbybasketball
04-18-2015, 02:44 PM
It's so cute that you did all that research.

Telling response. I take that as you don't have anything to debate the merits of what X is saying. In 15 years at Vandy that resume doesn't hold a candle to what Barnes did at Texas in 17, and Barnes took over a program that was just as bad as the one that Stallings took over, albeit Stallings' program had won an SEC title 7 years prior. I'll admit Stallings took over a mess from JVK. What he has be able to do there has been impressive, but only if you allow yourself to admit that same thing in the case of Barnes at Texas.

I really have no dog in this fight. I just don't think by any justifiable way you can suggest Barnes is mediocre. The only reason he was fired at Texas is because he refused to fire his assistants. Otherwise, he'd still have that job. The fact that he stood by his guys and did the classy thing is a testament to the fact that Barnes is a good guy that is loyal. No wonder he and Cal are besties. Barnes is my favorite coach in the SEC probably with Mark Fox.

*Favorite Rick Barnes moment was the time he and Dean Smith got into it. That was insanely crazy.

VandyChuck
04-18-2015, 03:56 PM
I respond that way because I've said it MANY times before. You can't blame Stallings for the mess VBK left him. You take out 21-43 SEC record in his first 4 seasons and his record is much more respectable. The man has nearly doubled our all time NCAA tournament appearances in 15 years.

kentubbybasketball
04-18-2015, 06:59 PM
And, Rick Barnes didn't do that at Texas? Skinner, who is from my hometown, didn't have the advantage of 68 team fields when he coached at Vandy fwiw.

Stallings rook the job knowing the situation that was left was messy. That is part of his record. Cal took over a rough situation at UK and won 35 games.

XPS
04-18-2015, 07:11 PM
And, Rick Barnes didn't do that at Texas? Skinner, who is from my hometown, didn't have the advantage of 68 team fields when he coached at Vandy fwiw.

Stallings rook the job knowing the situation that was left was messy. That is part of his record. Cal took over a rough situation at UK and won 35 games.

Exactly - it's way past time to quit blaming the coach before Stallings.

VandyChuck
04-18-2015, 07:57 PM
I haven't blamed VBK in 11 years. Stallings records and accomplishments have officially been his own since 2004.

GoDores
04-18-2015, 11:05 PM
This isn't even about Stallings. I said Rick Barnes is a mediocre coach.

XPS
04-18-2015, 11:39 PM

And he is, the talent level he had at his disposal and the results don't match. Barnes however is a very good recruiter and look for him to land some talent for the Vols.

kentubbybasketball
04-19-2015, 06:31 AM

You can say whatever you want. The issue is you have yet to defend it.