AP All-American Team [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : AP All-American Team

Bama_Man
03-30-2015, 02:45 PM
The Associated Press released their All-American teams today, and the Wooden Award will be announced tonight.

Here are the AP selections:

First Team
G-D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State
G-Jerian Grant, Notre Dame
F-Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin*
F-Jahlil Okafor, Duke
C-Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky

*unanimous

Second Team
G-Delon Wright, Utah
G-Seth Tuttle, Northern Iowa
F-Bobby Portis, Arkansas
F-Karl Towns, Kentucky
F-Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia

Third Team
G-Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga
G-Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
F-Georges Niang, Iowa State
F-Kyle Wiltjer, Gonzaga
F-Rakeem Christmas, Syracuse

kentubbybasketball
03-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Crazy Willie Cauley-Stein made it... oh wait a minute.

Congrats to KAT also. To me they are the two best players in the SEC. From November to mid January it was WCS. KAT took over from there. His play vs Notre Dame was something to behold. Fortunate to have both. Maybe they both return.

WCS is just amazing. Our one non-McD AA in our rotation gets First Team AA. HE didn't even think he was good enough to play here, because he was around 40 in the recruiting rankings. What's wonderful is we've gotten to see Willie grow over the course of the years instead of being a one and done. So proud to have him in blue.

As for the team at large. The top 5 players are the same top 5 I would've had on my list. Also, kudos to Kyle Wiltjer. We have 20% of the 15 players!!! Go Cats!

Bama_Man
03-30-2015, 03:49 PM
No way Towns comes back, he will likely be #1 pick in the draft

kentubbybasketball
03-30-2015, 07:37 PM
I do find i tinteresting that WCS has been ahead of Portis on every AA team. Just interesting.

msudawg4life
03-31-2015, 11:03 AM
No doubt about it...UK has an impressive squad this year. Congratz to them on their success.

VandyChuck
03-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I do find i tinteresting that WCS has been ahead of Portis on every AA team. Just interesting.

Because the national media that votes on those things doesn't know as much about our league as SEC coaches/media do.

Willie Cauley Stein was the early hot name on a team without a standout star, because of his play early in the season. It apparantly stuck with the media despite the fact he was average for most of the SEC season while KAT became the obvious star.

WCS being a first team all-american is the most ridiculous inclusion I've ever seen. KAT is the easy pick for 1st team.

msudawg4life
03-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Yup....I agree with you on that Vandy.....Towns def has risen to the top this year in that group of players.

Bama_Man
03-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Because the national media that votes on those things doesn't know as much about our league as SEC coaches/media do.

Willie Cauley Stein was the early hot name on a team without a standout star, because of his play early in the season. It apparantly stuck with the media despite the fact he was average for most of the SEC season while KAT became the obvious star.

WCS being a first team all-american is the most ridiculous inclusion I've ever seen. KAT is the easy pick for 1st team.

this.

SkyAntoine
03-31-2015, 02:18 PM
AP proves SECF posters are wrong...except UK fans. Go Willie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 03:37 PM
AP proves SECF posters are wrong...except UK fans. Go Willie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much, but consider who we're talking about lol.

Willie wouldn't have been there if he didn't deserve it. As the face of our program and our leader, I'm okay with it. Who cares about KAT being second, Willie being first, or even if it's vice versa. Fact of the matter is it's ridiculous that neither could have been their conference's player of the year given what took place on the court.

In my Willie voice though, "they can give HIM player of the year." When push came to shove and there was a championship on the line with Portis (and KAT for that matter) on the court, it was Willie that came through. The great thing about our team is that one day it's WCS. One day it's KAT. Another day it's Devin Booker... and so forth.

I love KAT and without him we'd have lost several games, just as we would have lost several without WCS. But, to me what pushes Willie over the top is he is a much better defender than Karl Towns. Towns fouls so much (even on offense) that it's a mark against him probably. Willie is something else on defense though. He can guard any position on the court, and he can guard two guys at once even. In a year where we've had a transcendant D, Willie is the main reason behind it. I'm glad somebody is getting honored for more than just scoring. As Cal said, it's not about who scores the most points always.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Sky think about the first team AAs we've had over the last 15 years. Only John Wall, Anthony Davis, and Willie Cauley-Stein. That is some class for those guys to be in. If you're being compared to Wall and Davis or they are being compared to WCS, it really shows how impressive all three have been or were.

Willie Cauley-Stein could be National Player of the Year if he returned next year maybe even a top 2-3 pick. The crazy thing about Willie is he didn't get an offseason to work on improving his basketball game much due to being injured on the hurt ankle. Imagine if he had an offseason to train and improve on his offense. Whew! Either way, whether he's in UK blue next year or in the NBA, I'll always be a fan. Definitely one of my top 5 favorite UK players ever and that's saying something.

Bama_Man
03-31-2015, 04:12 PM
Pretty much, but consider who we're talking about lol.

Willie wouldn't have been there if he didn't deserve it. As the face of our program and our leader, I'm okay with it. Who cares about KAT being second, Willie being first, or even if it's vice versa. Fact of the matter is it's ridiculous that neither could have been their conference's player of the year given what took place on the court.

In my Willie voice though, "they can give HIM player of the year." When push came to shove and there was a championship on the line with Portis (and KAT for that matter) on the court, it was Willie that came through. The great thing about our team is that one day it's WCS. One day it's KAT. Another day it's Devin Booker... and so forth.

I love KAT and without him we'd have lost several games, just as we would have lost several without WCS. But, to me what pushes Willie over the top is he is a much better defender than Karl Towns. Towns fouls so much (even on offense) that it's a mark against him probably. Willie is something else on defense though. He can guard any position on the court, and he can guard two guys at once even. In a year where we've had a transcendant D, Willie is the main reason behind it. I'm glad somebody is getting honored for more than just scoring. As Cal said, it's not about who scores the most points always.

So wait, even tho Towns is a much better offensive player, WCS's defense means he is the better selection?

A logical argument is that in a close argument, youd rather have offense compared to defense, you can't win a game 0-0, when both players are close comparisons. I dont think its that close, theres a reason KAT is #1 or #2 on all draft boards, he has the much more refined and effective offensive game whereas WCS is further down the list because of his lack of offensive production. You dont see WCS making the post moves and buckets like Towns does, and while WCS is the better defender, KAT is still 7' and can patrol around the rim.

There is more of a difference between Towns and WCS offensively than defensively, so logically I would side with Towns, as would every NBA GM and most other people.
WCS getting the first-team nod is a nod to UK as a whole and their motor.

I dont understand why this point cannot get across, while WCS may be more important to his team, that does not make him the best player on his team.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 06:29 PM
I wonder how long it'll take us to get another first team AA. KAT should come back next year and make a run at it. Lol. I LOVE KAT and WCS. Glad it's not up.to me to pick one over another. Like picking your favorite brother. It's a stupid argument to have and I'm not part of it. I've stated where I stand and both are deserving!