Gregg Marshall meeting with Alabama today..... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Marshall meeting with Alabama today.....

Bama_Man
03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall is meeting with Alabama officials today to discuss the opening in the Alabama basketball program.

*fingers crossed*

This would be a HUGE land, and I would say we got the better hire than MSU, regardless of Howland's performance at UCLA. But that's all IMO

kentubbybasketball
03-30-2015, 03:26 PM
To me it's probably a courtesy at this point or Bama is really offering a lot of money like in the $3 million vecinity. Otherwise, why would he talk to Bama with reported interest from Texas, which is in a much better situation (maybe Texas isn't interested).

Plus, there was a time a few years ago when people were speculating that Bama didn't even want Marshall (when he was at Winthrop). It would be interesting to see him go now, given that (if it were true).

Just Some Hog Dude
03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
It is interesting that the SEC is attracting good basketball coaches all of a sudden.

Herchel
03-30-2015, 05:41 PM
To me it's probably a courtesy at this point or Bama is really offering a lot of money like in the $3 million vecinity. Otherwise, why would he talk to Bama with reported interest from Texas, which is in a much better situation (maybe Texas isn't interested).

Plus, there was a time a few years ago when people were speculating that Bama didn't even want Marshall (when he was at Winthrop). It would be interesting to see him go now, given that (if it were true).
Bama now has to compete with Pearl.

msudawg4life
03-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Has anyone heard any of the outcomes from this meeting? Just curious if any of the #'s have been leaked out. I'm sure Texas will be working on trying to go after him as well. Both schools are "rolling"... in the $$$

Really Big Bama Fan
03-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Has anyone heard any of the outcomes from this meeting? Just curious if any of the #'s have been leaked out. I'm sure Texas will be working on trying to go after him as well. Both schools are "rolling"... in the $$$

A report on the morning news said that Bill Battle had returned to Tuscaloosa empty-handed.

xAuBuRn
03-31-2015, 12:20 PM

I have heard top 5 money. 4+ mil. If that is true I find it hard to believe he will not accept that.

Bama_Man
03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
I heard same thing RBBF heard, not good news and we offered the house from what I've read.

xAuBuRn
03-31-2015, 12:24 PM
I heard same thing RBBF heard, not good news and we offered the house from what I've read.

These deals do not happen overnight. Muschamp for example took how long? If you see other names pop up then yea I would worry if I was an Alabama fan, but right now I would be fairly confident.

SkyAntoine
03-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Unless he wants Texas I can't believe Marshall would turn down Bama money. Or, he's a lifer coaching the shockers.

If the SEC gets Marshall and Barnes, then top to bottom we'll have the best coaches in the country.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 03:33 PM
I haven't heard that he was empty handed. I heard he was there until 6:30 last night and he left without Marshall. (The meeting was in Wichita fwiw).

Sky, it's tough to compete with the coaches in the ACC top to bottom even if you add these guys.

Herchel
03-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Sky, it's tough to compete with the coaches in the ACC top to bottom even if you add these guys.

Who, in your opinion, is the worst coach in the SEC, and how does he compare to Brian Gregory?

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't like to think about who the worst coach in the SEC is, but I'm not sure it's Gregory in the ACC not with Christian at BC.

The SEC has certain tiers of coaches though:

Billy, Cal

Barnes, Marshall, Howland, Pearl

Anderson, Martin, Stallings, Fox

The rest of the guys certainly aren't bad. But, top to bottom with the ACC having 4 Hall of Famers in their top tier plus Tony Bennett, I can't completely agree with Sky's assertion.

Bama_Man
03-31-2015, 04:16 PM
I have to side with KT, when you go:
Coach K
Roy Williams
Jim Boeheim
Rick Pitino
are all national title winners and I know Mark Gottfried has to been to one Elite Eight, Tony Bennett has turned UVA into a national power, wasn't long ago that Jamie Dixon had Pitt at a high level, Laranaga at Miami has been to a Final Four with George Mason, etc....

In the SEC, only Cal and Billy D have national titles or Final Four runs (Pearl made an Elite Eight and had UT at #1 at one point IIRC, but Gottfried did same thing at Alabama and just had NC State in the Elite Eight) and the gap between the top tier and Mark Fox and such, while good coaches, is pretty substantial.

Herchel
03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
I have to side with KT, when you go:
Coach K
Roy Williams
Jim Boeheim
Rick Pitino
are all national title winners and I know Mark Gottfried has to been to one Elite Eight, Tony Bennett has turned UVA into a national power, wasn't long ago that Jamie Dixon had Pitt at a high level, Laranaga at Miami has been to a Final Four with George Mason, etc....

In the SEC, only Cal and Billy D have national titles or Final Four runs (Pearl made an Elite Eight and had UT at #1 at one point IIRC, but Gottfried did same thing at Alabama and just had NC State in the Elite Eight) and the gap between the top tier and Mark Fox and such, while good coaches, is pretty substantial.
Boeheim cheated for years, and so did Williams.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Well so has Coach K for that matter. As Tark said everybody has except for the guys in last place.

Dawgilicious
04-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Lord here we go with everybody saying everybody cheated.....lol

Has to be more energizing conversation than that.

Other news, Marshall is staying at Wichita St apparently and will not visit Bama

Optik
04-02-2015, 07:19 AM

No doubt, what a fantastic year to be the top-tier (at least of what's available for hire) basketball coach. Neither school is a powerhouse and that alone should buy you 3-4 years at some grossly overpaid salary since the two of them will be bidding against one another exclusively for your services.

TexasFight
04-02-2015, 07:47 AM
We have to close Shaka Smart just so I can say we're Texas Smart and Texas Strong. I think Smart could do big things at Texas.

kentubbybasketball
04-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I wonder if Bama ends up having to "settle" for maybe a 5th option if they look back and think they shouldn't have fired Grant this year, because if you think about it there are some good jobs open this year, including at least Tennessee and Mississippi State in this league. (Who knows if Kentucky opens up or even Florida from the scuttlebutt I've been hearing).

msudawg4life
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
I've heard Billy D will be entertaining offers to move himself into the League....who knows.

Friedchickenman
04-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Hearing that Bama is hiring former NBA coach Avery Johnson. Interesting pick if true, will probably be able to recruit well. No idea about his coaching ability though.

kentubbybasketball
04-04-2015, 06:32 PM
I'd think the exact opposite. You know he can coach. I mean look at his Dallas teams and even in New Jersey. Can a guy that's never had to recruit, actually recruit? Clearly his son is at TAMU and he understands thisgroup somewhat and he has connections in Texas, but I don't know about this hire. This is a stab at trying to generate press over a "name." That's not the right hire IMO.