NBA Draft Early Entrants 2015 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Early Entrants 2015

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2015, 09:11 AM
No surprise that Jarrell Martian declares for the draft. Other SEC players are soon to follow.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Portis is gone. Qualls more than likely to go, even if it means playing in Europe. Can't see Qualls not cashing in while his knees and ankles are still working.

GoDores
03-26-2015, 01:33 PM
In casually talking with fans at Vandy's spring football game last Saturday, Damian Jones said he is "definitely" coming back next year.

batmanthelegend
03-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Portis is gone. Qualls more than likely to go, even if it means playing in Europe. Can't see Qualls not cashing in while his knees and ankles are still working.

Oh for realz? Who told u all this playboy? Dont assume playa.

joehogjoe
03-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Really all indications say they both will return.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
I honestly have no idea who on Kentucky's team is leaving and who is returning. I think we can assume that KAT has no choice but to leave. Cal probably "won't welcome" him back. Just like when Wall, Cousins, and Davis were top 5 picks. Cal tells them that they have to go, so KAT is likely gone.

-I would venture to assume Trey Lyles is gone :(. He's a lotto pick at this point, and he's done this with strep throat this year.

-Willie Cauley-Stein is a lotto pick also, but I could see him coming back. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go to the NBA.

-I don't think Alex Poythress knows what he's doing yet either. A lot depends on his injury. My guess is that he would return (fingers crossed).

-Dakari Johnson is a late first rounder. I don't know if he wants to risk dropping to the second. I would guess he returns.

-Devin Booker was a end of the lottery to top 20 pick, but he's been in a slump and could work on his lateral quickness some for defending. I have no read on his situation at all. If I had to pick, I wouldn't be able to.

-The twins. This is where things get interesting. Andrew Harrison hasn't turned the ball over in several games, and his shooting has improved. Aaron perhaps is our most inefficient player, but he's our leading scorer. He's our most clutch player. Id' say Andrew has played himself into the first round, but Aaron perhaps hasn't. Does one leave and the other stay. I'd say what one does, the other will do. I'd guess they are leaving, sadly.

-Marcus Lee hopefully will return. He has the chance to really be a great player, on the level of Jordan Mickey IMO. He just hasnt' had a chance to show it.

-Tyler Ulis was told not to come to Kentucky if he didn't think he'd be a one and done. He's not a four year point guard, he'll be ready to before that, regardless of his size. I'd say he would be best served to return though.

So, I think if we can for sure have Tyler Ulis and Marcus Lee back. Get somebody in the Harrison, Harrison, Booker, and Johnson group to come back, assuming all lottery pick guys do the thing and leave. Add them to Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins. Plus, with our recruiting class, which will only grow, we'll be in the top 5 again as a favorite to win the SEC again.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Michael Frazier could be leaving Florida. I think he'd be among the top 2 or 3 shooters in this draft with Devin Booker. Frazier's season just shows that a lot of your shooting opportunities and even percentage depends on who is surrounded by you. I can't imagine him being a first rounder though.

kentubbybasketball
03-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Jordan Mickey is leaving early too now. Good thing LSU has a program-building recruiting class.

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Our beloved Harrison twins are leaving. I couldn't be happier for them. They might not be first rounders, but I wouldn't count against them at all. They are hard workers and understand winning. Andrew had a fantastic season. Only starting point guard to play in the last two final fours. Went 38-1 this year. Nobody in college hoops history ever won more games in a season.

I think the twins drew too much criticism. Look at their resumes. Plus when one played poorly they both got critcized. It's like they were viewed as one player.

This sucks for UK, but it only makes our recruiting better imo. I think Malik Newman was waiting for this. Having Tyler Ulis back makes PG the least of our worries. They'll always be UK players, and I'm sure they'll watch from afar as we go after the national title they could've brought here the last two years.

Wave&Dawgs
04-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Jeff Goodman said today that he polled some NBA talent evaluators and they all had the Harrisons as both second rounders.

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Cool story.

Anyway, there will be a press conference tomorrow at UK for all the players who have made their decisions (I figure that will have the twins, WCS, and Johnson announcing they are leaving; altho the Johnson thing doesn't seem as firm as the others IMO). Players who have not decided are not going to participate. Haven't heard anything definitive on KAT, Lyles, Booker, Poythress, or Lee (although assumptions are all over the place). Only at UK does this turn into a circus. I would assume that of that group Poythress and Lee are back.

All I know is I'm glad we have Skal Labissiere coming in. He's said to be the #1 pick for next year with the work he's put in at the Hoop Summitt. We are going to need him. If everybody leaves and we get Newman and Brown, we'd have Ulis, Willis, Hawkins, Labissiere, Lee, Matthews, Newman, Brown, Briscoe, plus anybody that does return and any other recruits that come (looking at you Zimmerman). THat to me is the best roster in the SEC and one of the top 4 in the country. 40-0, anyone? jk lol

Wave&Dawgs
04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Cool story.

I thought so too!

xAuBuRn
04-08-2015, 09:20 PM
I thought so too!

Agreed.

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 09:31 PM
I thought so too!
Yep cool story, unlike your race-filled/racist comments about me to other posters. Not very classy or cool of you to insinuate someone is racist.

VandyChuck
04-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Yep cool story, unlike your race-filled/racist comments about me to other posters. Not very classy or cool of you to insinuate someone is racist.

ummmmm...

kentubbybasketball
04-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Edit: Nevermind. I need to take my issue up with him in a private message.

Dawgilicious
04-09-2015, 02:18 AM
JP Tokoto is leaving UNC to go to the NBA. Just flabergasted at these 2nd rd picks that jump to the NBA. Are they listening to anybody or in such dire need of money? 2nd rd picks arent guaranteed either

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 06:24 AM
I used to be flabbergasted but I'm not anymore. Not everybody has the same values. If you end up in Europe that's a great living. Some second round picks just want their foot in the door, and they actually have more flexibility than first rounder, especially after summer league. Plus, we don't know somebody's situation and what dictates their decisions. I don't judge people anymore on this. I say best of luck. Just like every engineer out of college won't get the best job, every basketball player won't be a first rounder.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Edit.

Bama_Man
04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Dont sleep on Maryland next year,they lose Wells but return Trimble and Layman while adding Diamond Stone who looked awesome during the McDs AA game.

GoDores
04-09-2015, 02:01 PM
UPDATED:

Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Michael Frazier - Florida
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Go, you're all over this UK stuff. More than UK fans are.

This is just fantastic for UK fans! Guys getting to realize their NBA dreams. It just means our UK family grows. Players stay a shirt while but we have more, and as a result more memories. Can't wait to cheer all our guys on in the NBA, hopefully as they win the titles they should've won here! As Cal says the NBA will be 10 percent UK soon!!!!!!

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 02:54 PM
But also KAT, WCS, and Lyles are gone also!!! :-) :-(

Sad they won't be here anymore. What a ride they took us on. I still think UK can win the national title and the SEC next year with Poythress, Ulis, Lee, Willis, and Hawkins leading us. This next frosh class has Labissiere (remember that name, drawing WCS and Ant Davis comparisons), Briscoe, and Matthews. If this class is like the others they will be good. We're about to pounce on the recruiting trail I believe!!!

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Cal tells the team if you are leaving t love stand up. All seven stand up, and then all seven repeat, "we are chasing our dream." Gotta love it. I know some people will be mad about this since this is supposed to be college, but kudos to these guys.

As Cal always said, they sacrificed and as a rule everybody eats! What a recruiting pitch that arms Cal and KP with!

GDawg88
04-09-2015, 03:34 PM
I know some people will be mad about this since this is supposed to be college
No one should be mad at any of these kids. Isiah Thomas made a great point in a radio interview I heard a couple of weeks ago. He said when he went pro early, he wasn't leaving college -- he was leaving college basketball. He returned to Indiana to complete his undergraduate degree and later attained a master's. College will always be there if any of these seven want to complete their degree, but the opportunity to be an NBA draft pick is a very brief window.

I applaud all of these guys for making the best decision for themselves and their families. At the end of the day, college is about preparing you for your chosen vocation, and each of these young men are well equipped to pursue professional basketball careers after receiving excellent on-the-job training at UK.

GoDores
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Go, you're all over this UK stuff. More than UK fans are.

Vandy's competing for an SEC title next year. I'm back in it.

UPDATED: DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky

Portis and Qualls, come on down! You're the next contestants......

COMING BACK:
Dorian Finney-Smith - Florida,
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

Is there anyone teams are waiting on besides Portis and Qualls?

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 03:57 PM
No one should be mad at any of these kids. Isiah Thomas made a great point in a radio interview I heard a couple of weeks ago. He said when he went pro early, he wasn't leaving college -- he was leaving college basketball. He returned to Indiana to complete his undergraduate degree and later attained a master's. College will always be there if any of these seven want to complete their degree, but the opportunity to be an NBA draft pick is a very brief window.

I applaud all of these guys for making the best decision for themselves and their families. At the end of the day, college is about preparing you for your chosen vocation, and each of these young men are well equipped to pursue professional basketball careers after receiving excellent on-the-job training at UK.

I agree but everybody isn't as reasonably minded as you. Alex Poythress (who still could leave) in fact already has his degree. These guys from as best as I can tell are leaving in good academic standing as well. They've done so well at UK. I don't get how some people can view it as a negative either.

kentubbybasketball
04-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Vandy's competing for an SEC title next year. I'm back in it.

UPDATED: DECLARED
Martin - LSU
Mickey - LSU
Harrison 1 - Ky
Harrison 2- Ky
Dakari Johnson - Ky
Devin Booker - Ky
Willie CS - Ky
Karl A Towns - Ky
Trey Lyles - Ky

Portis and Qualls, come on down! You're the next contestants......

COMING BACK:
Dorian Finney-Smith - Florida,
Damian Jones- Vanderbilt
Marcus Lee- Ky
Tyler Ulis- Ky
Alex Poythress - Ky

Is there anyone teams are waiting on besides Portis and Qualls?

Alex Poythress is still a maybe, so we're waiting on him.

What's your definition of competing? Vandy will be improved. However, I think UK's actual talent (players and coaching) is still better. I think Florida is going to be back with a vengeance. If LSU can get their bigs to play up I think they'll be competing for a title more than anybody. TAMU has some talent, but guys are leaving, too. Vandy's got a chance.

Bama_Man
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM

Agreed.

VandyChuck
04-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Alex Poythress is still a maybe, so we're waiting on him.

What's your definition of competing? Vandy will be improved. However, I think UK's actual talent (players and coaching) is still better. I think Florida is going to be back with a vengeance. If LSU can get their bigs to play up I think they'll be competing for a title more than anybody. TAMU has some talent, but guys are leaving, too. Vandy's got a chance.

We don't know anything about UK's talent other than the number in front of their name in recruiting rankings (plus Ulis and Lee). You can't tell me that Damian Jones won't be the best player on either team.

XPS
04-09-2015, 08:42 PM
We don't know anything about UK's talent other than the number in front of their name in recruiting rankings (plus Ulis and Lee). You can't tell me that Damian Jones won't be the best player on either team.

I can tell you Chuck and Go that Jones wouldn't start for UK and in no way would be be the best player of the two teams lol.

VandyChuck
04-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I can tell you Chuck and Go that Jones wouldn't start for UK and in no way would be be the best player of the two teams lol.

Oh OK OMG LMAO BBQFTW

Future first rounders stink. Lesson learned.

Storm
04-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Still waiting to see if Caris LeVert enters the draft. His injury and timetable won't allow him to do any draft camps. I would think it would be hard to be drafted after the lackluster season the team was having even when he was in there. I hope he stays, but certainly won't fault any kid for trying to make a payday. But much like Greg Robinson the 3rd, he needs another year.

Bama_Man
04-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Oh OK OMG LMAO BBQFTW

Youre right, if that provides any solstice. At worst, Damian Jones would be UK's third best player next year and could be their best (although Ulis is very, very good).

But D. Jones is a future first round pick (unlike the Harrison twins) and would start for ANY team in the country. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 12:44 PM

I disagree. This isn't 1997 anymore. These guys play against college players before they reach college these days so we do get an idea of what their talent level is like. I would say yes Jones isn't the best player on either team. Skal Labissiere isn't being called a top pick because he sucks. All the other guys at this juncture the last 10 years have been better much better than Jones. Why wouldn't Skal be? That said our top guy is Tyler Ulis and I would definitely take his impact over Jones.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Oh OK OMG LMAO BBQFTW

Let me get this straight. Jones is a first rounder (maybe 15 to 25), and he's better than the top pick. Okaaaaaaaaaaay.

To what X said, if we get the guys we are projected to get, I would agree we wouldn't start Jones over Skal, Stephen, or Chieck. Arkansas fans said the same stuff about Portis starting here over WCS and KAT (two guys with three final fours between them). I mean come on. It sounds like we don't respect Portis and Jones but come on. You're laying it on thick with that stuff. LSU fans told me Portis wouldn't have started for them last year, let alone UK (granted that might be sour grapes with LSU and Jones given the history ). Now the same stuff is being said about Jones.

VandyChuck
04-10-2015, 02:48 PM
That said our top guy is Tyler Ulis and I would definitely take his impact over Jones.

Tyler Ulis wouldn't start for Vanderbilt.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 03:04 PM

True. He prefers playing at basketball schools. He wouldn't relegate himself to Stallings' coaching.

Baldwin isn't at Tyler's level. Nobody would start him over Tyler if they gad both. Tyler will be the favorite for SEC Player of the Year, altho Jerry Meyer is saying we will platoon, so maybe Ulis will get screwed out of the award like WCS did.

VandyChuck
04-10-2015, 03:37 PM
LMAO your opinion of who should be SEC POY doesn't really carry much weight around here anymore.

Ulis over Baldwin.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't care about people agreeing with me here. My guy was the only consensus first team AA in this league. The bias of this board is nothing new.

XPS
04-10-2015, 04:10 PM

With Ulis Vandy might have advanced to the NIT championship.

XPS
04-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Youre right, if that provides any solstice. At worst, Damian Jones would be UK's third best player next year and could be their best (although Ulis is very, very good).

But D. Jones is a future first round pick (unlike the Harrison twins) and would start for ANY team in the country. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

Jones really slacked off at the end of the year and the longer he stays at Vandy the more his stock will drop.

TexasFight
04-10-2015, 04:23 PM
I don't care about people agreeing with me here. My guy was the only consensus first team AA in this league. The bias of this board is nothing new.

Yeah, because you've never shown bias. You're a paragon of objectivity.

I know I apologized for calling you a conceited pr!ck, but I take that back. I don't what came over me.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Jones really slacked off at the end of the year and the longer he stays at Vandy the more his stock will drop.
Not only that his rep us one of being soft and inconsistent. If he plays like he's capable of I'll amend my picks, but part of me thinks Vandy is going to be do three point shot happy they'll forget about him at times. He certainly played well vs UK as most people fo. Every game isn't UK tho. How you play vs lesser teams matter too.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Yeah, because you've never shown bias. You're a paragon of objectivity.

I know I apologized for calling you a conceited pr!ck, but I take that back. I don't what came over me.

Cool. You have an opinion you're entitled to. I appreciate you sharing it and the respect you've shown. Hope you're having a good day. I've never claimed to be objective. Anybody that would is being non-objective. Again I appreciate your remarks.

xAuBuRn
04-10-2015, 05:36 PM

I respect what you and most of the other Kentucky fans say, but what I the bolded is pretty ignorant. I do not know much about Jones, but Vandy is a pretty good basketball school. It is not elite, but they have had some pretty good teams in the past 10-15 years.

I was wondering if any of the Kentucky fans knew much about Kareem Canty. I have heard nothing, but good news. People have said he may be the best PG we have had in a long time. What is your opinion on him? Tyler Harris a PF from Providence apparently is going to transfer to Auburn. Nothing official, but all indications are if we want him he will come. We also have a very good freshmen class coming in.

So our line up next year:

PG: Kareem Canty Jr. 6' 183/ Tahj Shamsid-Deen Jr. 5'9 170 (played the 2 at times last season)
SG:So. TJ Lang 6'7 193/ Jr. T.J. Dunans 6'5 190 (#1 juco player)
PF: Tyler Harris Sr 6'9 223/Horace Spencer (top 50 recruit) I watched him and he was very good on the defensive end, but I did not walk away impressed with his offensive skills.
SF: Jordon Granger Sr.6'8 210/ Danjel Purifoy 6'6 190 (Top 75 recruit)
C: hoping for a juco transfer or Trayvon Reed makes a lot of progress. I think he is still a year away from seeing meaningful minutes. Bowers could also play the center even though he is very undersized. Rumors were flying around about him maybe leaving kind of died down a bit lately.

What kind of roster would you rank this? Obviously an improvement, but how much. It will hurt to lose a player like K.T., but we will have a lot more length. I am hoping for NIT, but will be happy with a winning record. Year 3 is where I think we make the dance for the first time.

kentubbybasketball
04-10-2015, 06:53 PM
The point XPS is making is not ignornant. It happens to people all the time. They stay in college too long instead of striking when the iron is hot. The longer you stay in college, the more warts NBA GMs and scouts find out about you. People who stay in college multiple years just have a stigma whether it's fair or not. I think people just assume that things X and I say are ignorant and/or arrogant without asking for further explanation. That gets old.

As for Kareem Canty, something seems shady about him. He should have been at USF with Orlando Antigua but that's neither here nor there. He clearly played well two seasons ago at Marshall. A stat sheet filler no doubt. Tyler Harris' family loves Pearl, since his brother Tobias played for him at UT. We have played against Providence the past two years. Two years ago Harris seemed to play decently. He has good size (not quite 6'9 as you say IMO) and he's a pretty good shooter.

To me Auburn is on the way up. I'm not sure that's a NCAAT roster for next year, but Auburn back ending into the field wouldn't surprise me either. I think UK, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, and TAMU all have more talent. UGA probably does as well. I would have to see who the shooters are in that lineup. Sure, Dunans has a reputation for being able to fill it up, but I'm not sure anybody on the roster strikes fear into you from the perimeter like Harrell and Mason did last year. Dunans seems more like a scorer than a shooter. I actually think Dunans would start over Lang fwiw. Auburn also needed more size and clearly Spencer helps, but Trayvon Reed has to get in the weight room. He needs to be on the "all foods" diet. He might be 7'2 but he's gonna get pushed around by more burly guys. I think Bowers is a much better option for Auburn at the 5 than probably anybody that would get brought in at this point. I do think TSD has to play the 1. You can't have him at the 2, unless Canty is also in there (defending twos). The press should be more lethal this year having some athletic wings in the 6'5 to 6'8 height range.

XPS
04-10-2015, 07:09 PM
The point XPS is making is not ignornant. It happens to people all the time. They stay in college too long instead of striking when the iron is hot. The longer you stay in college, the more warts NBA GMs and scouts find out about you. People who stay in college multiple years just have a stigma whether it's fair or not. I think people just assume that things X and I say are ignorant and/or arrogant without asking for further explanation. That gets old.

As for Kareem Canty, something seems shady about him. He should have been at USF with Orlando Antigua but that's neither here nor there. He clearly played well two seasons ago at Marshall. A stat sheet filler no doubt. Tyler Harris' family loves Pearl, since his brother Tobias played for him at UT. We have played against Providence the past two years. Two years ago Harris seemed to play decently. He has good size (not quite 6'9 as you say IMO) and he's a pretty good shooter.

To me Auburn is on the way up. I'm not sure that's a NCAAT roster for next year, but Auburn back ending into the field wouldn't surprise me either. I think UK, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, and TAMU all have more talent. UGA probably does as well. I would have to see who the shooters are in that lineup. Sure, Dunans has a reputation for being able to fill it up, but I'm not sure anybody on the roster strikes fear into you from the perimeter like Harrell and Mason did last year. Dunans seems more like a scorer than a shooter. I actually think Dunans would start over Lang fwiw. Auburn also needed more size and clearly Spencer helps, but Trayvon Reed has to get in the weight room. He needs to be on the "all foods" diet. He might be 7'2 but he's gonna get pushed around by more burly guys. I think Bowers is a much better option for Auburn at the 5 than probably anybody that would get brought in at this point. I do think TSD has to play the 1. You can't have him at the 2, unless Canty is also in there (defending twos). The press should be more lethal this year having some athletic wings in the 6'5 to 6'8 height range.

Thanks Kt and your point on as usual. That would go for any school not just Vandy.

Storm
04-21-2015, 12:26 PM
I know it's closed, but whatever

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3687840/happy-dance-o.gif

Caris LeVert to return to Michigan for senior season