Willie Cauley-Stein [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Willie Cauley-Stein

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 04:05 PM
WCS is one of the four finalists for the Wooden Award. What an honor. Plenty of UK players in the past have not accomplished that. What a season by WCS. I'm not sure I've ever been more proud of a UK player on the court from how they've grown over the years.

The fact that our players don't stay around long makes this extra special and sweet. We've gotten to know and love WCS over the course of three years that we didn't get with Brandon Knight, John Wall, and Anthony Davis.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2015, 01:00 PM
I think Ashley Judd wants to have his babies.

Bama_Man
03-20-2015, 01:20 PM
I think it would be a great honor, and with a dominant NCAAT he could easily be seen as a front runner, but honestly, the last 15 games, Towns has been the bigger threat for opposing teams.

JRS
03-20-2015, 01:54 PM
I think Ashley Judd wants to have his babies.

And now you're going to be sued.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2015, 02:06 PM
And now you're going to be sued.

No...no one visits this message board to read anything here anyways.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 03:46 PM
I think it would be a great honor, and with a dominant NCAAT he could easily be seen as a front runner, but honestly, the last 15 games, Towns has been the bigger threat for opposing teams.

This isn't the NCAA selection process circa 2005... the last 15 games don't matter more. End of the day, it's like any other program. The vets lead you at the start, and hopefully you frosh come on at the end. That's happened with KAT and WCS... why people constantly have to pit the two against each other (and Andrew vs Ulis also) is confusing. They aren't going against each other for anything. They are functioning on a team. Two All-American players doing it together. Beauty.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 03:48 PM
How did Bobby Portis win SEC player of the year?

That Steinfeld dude is so much better than everyone else with a dozen 6' 9" teammates all around him. No one can beat Stein. Stein is like World Kentucky Jesus.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 03:53 PM
How did Bobby Portis win SEC player of the year?

Strange things happen sometimes. WCS was better IMO both times they played. Willie impacted winning more than he did also. The SEC just wanted to keep UK from sweeping the awards. Florida had balance last year, yet when they won the the SEC 21-0, they had a POY... it's anti-Kentucky bias. At this point though, it's not about Portis. This is about WCS. As Willie said, "they can give him that award."

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 04:06 PM

This. Because Towns is bigger and stronger than Stein. If I was picking teams in a street ball pick-up game, I'd pick Towns first over Stein, hands down.

IMO, Towns is the best NBA prospect in the SEC.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Strange things happen sometimes. WCS was better IMO both times they played. Willie impacted winning more than he did also. The SEC just wanted to keep UK from sweeping the awards. Florida had balance last year, yet when they won the the SEC 21-0, they had a POY... it's anti-Kentucky bias. At this point though, it's not about Portis. This is about WCS. As Willie said, "they can give him that award."

:rotf: Really?

We weren't watching the same games. Portis was continually doubled and even tripled down low by three 6' 9" plus UK defenders, rotated fresh at that. Arkansas didn't have the luxury of doing the same to Stein. Sometimes Kentubby, I seriously question your individual player assessment skills. You've got on blue colored glasses when it comes to the physical schematics of the game.

And one other thing on Portis that makes him better than Stein, is Portis can hit the basket from anywhere on the court, and put the ball on the floor on the run or down low. Much more versatile than Stein. Which is why Portis is the 2015 SEC POY, not Stein.

If Stein is a top 6 NBA pick someone is getting shafted by their own wiener. :facepalm:

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
I hope Kentucky gets beat. I'm not picking that, just hoping. In my million dollar bracket I have UK winning.

I stated right here a week into the season that I had UK #1. That hasn't changed, just as it hasn't for the rest of the 90% of folks here that had UK #1 from the start.

I usually like to be right, but not this time.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 04:23 PM
UK is not 34-0 because of WCS. Far from it. Jack Capilari would still be favored to win it all even if Stein wasn't playing.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 04:26 PM
The only people I hear talking about how great Stein is mostly people from Kentucky.

I ain't heard Charles Barkley say Stein is a beast.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Returning to the regularly scheduled program, Willie Cauley-Stein is one of the four finalist for National Player of the Year. Kudos!

Bama_Man
03-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Do you not believe that is more of a token gesture towards a 35-0 team??

WCS doesnt lead his team in PER, doesnt score over 10 PPG, doesnt post double digit rebounds, etc..
I believe the nod is to UK as a whole with WCS being the "face" of the team this year.
They had to put a player from UK in the POY award, and why not a person who seems like a great person (the shouting match with the coach against LSU IIRC withstanding) and is the spark plug of a 35-0 team?

If I was giving a national player of the year award to the best player in the nation, it might go to Towns.
I think Towns, Russell at tOSU, Okafor at Duke, and prob Stanley Johnson are the four best players in CBB this year and that will likely be four of the first five picks with Mudiay being in that class.

FWIW, most mock drafts have WCS going somewhere near 10, and Portis not far behind him at 12-14.

UK and Duke both have top 10 prospects with Towns/WCS and Okafor/Winslow, and guys like D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Looney at UCLA, then guys like Lyles and Booker from UK being involved.

My point is, WCS is not the best player in the nation this year KT, its pretty simple man. He is super important to his team, and really drives the engine, but he is not the best player on the UK team. Towns is the more polished offensive player, is still a defensive force, and has more physical upside.

Let me ask you this KT, if you truly believe WCS is the best player in the country, why is his PER so far behind the rest of the top guys?

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:44 AM
We've been down this road 87 times already. Nowhere did I say Willie was the best player in the nation. Nowhere! Wilbekin wasn't the best in the SEC or on UF last yr. That's not how these awards go. Otherwise why did Kobe lose MVP to Nash TWICE. Why did MJ not win every year he played after 1988?

Can I not just have a thread dedicated to a guy that is a finalist for NPOY? I didnt bring up Portis first here. Look some of you apparently don't want me to address this, but I'm going to because it is a huge accomplishment for Willie to be one of four left standing with even "terrible, horrendous, lackluster, ugly, unimportant" stats. Funny thing is KAT would be the first to defend WCS. The first! I don't care who UK ' S best player is, and I have never gotten into it. They are all good. They all deserve the support of UK fans, and I'm glad they've been mature enough to not let the MEDIA drive wedges into their chemistry when it talks about how player A is better than player B. When KAT didn't show up in the SECT last week, Willie had his back. That's because this is a team.

To borrow from Cal. People just want to try to steal your joy and I'm just going to not let it happen. On a team full of McD All-Americans, a non MCDONALD'S AA is the leader! That's meaningful given the perception of this program.

I'm just gonna leave before I get angry.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-22-2015, 12:40 PM
If I was giving a national player of the year award to the best player in the nation, it might go to Towns.

FWIW, most mock drafts have WCS going somewhere near 10, and Portis not far behind him at 12-14.

Bama_Man speaketh the facts.

Towns is the top NBA prospect. I pitty the fool that doesn't take him first. Towns is first in most all of the mocks. If anyone got the shaft on SEC POY, it was Towns, not Stein.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

kentubbybasketball
03-22-2015, 01:53 PM
I think we had already established that the award doesn't always equate with the best prospect For the NBA.

Glad to have both. WCS is the All-American!

Bubba
03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
i just wanna give props in this thread...

WCS should have played football. he was a BEAST in high school. he wouldnt have went to UK unless he could play both sports i assume, but damn, he was a killer WR. would have made lots of money in the NFL as a TE and made a college team lethal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNZtUGl4Ko

kentubbybasketball
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
He still just might. It's not a forgone conclusion he plays in the NBA based off all his interests.

VandyChuck
03-22-2015, 05:14 PM
This thread is borderline creepy.

SCgamecock2988
03-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Poooooop

kentubbybasketball
03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
This thread is borderline creepy.

It wasn't until you showed up.