2015 NIT Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NIT Thread

GoDores
03-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaas! We're in!

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 09:37 PM
No offense but I don't see how Vandy got in.

VanderbiltPride
03-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Will be great experience for our young team.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Bracket:

Colorado State Region

No. 1 Colorado State vs No. 8 South Dakota State

No. 4 Saint Mary's vs No. 5 Vanderbilt

No. 3 Rhode Island vs No. 6 Iona

No. 2 Stanford vs No. 7 UC Davis

Old Dominion Region

No. 1 Old Dominion vs No. 8 Charleston Southern

No. 4 Illinois State vs No. 5 Green Bay

No. 3 Murray State vs No. 6 UTEP

No. 2 Tulsa vs No. 7 William and Mary

Richmond Region

No. 1 Richmond vs. No. 8 St. Francis

No. 4 UConn vs. No. 5 Arizona State

No. 3 Illinois vs. No. 6 Alabama

No. 2 Miami (FL) vs. No. 7 NC Central

Temple Region

No. 1 Temple vs. No. 8 Bucknell

No. 4 Pittsburgh vs. No. 5 George Washington

No. 3 Louisiana Tech vs. No. 6 Central Michigan

No. 2 Texas A&M vs. No. 7 Montana

Storm
03-16-2015, 07:50 AM
Disappointing seeing multiple bracketologies and tweets saying Michigan would get in, only to see them left out. Couldn't do much about injuries this season, but the young guys could have used the extra experience.

Oh well, next season could be a special one as I doubt we lose anybody to the NBA and only one senior will be gone.

dnmuga93
03-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Disappointing seeing multiple bracketologies and tweets saying Michigan would get in, only to see them left out. Couldn't do much about injuries this season, but the young guys could have used the extra experience.

Oh well, next season could be a special one as I doubt we lose anybody to the NBA and only one senior will be gone.

There are 2 other postseason tourneys besides the big ones. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan continue to play.

Storm
03-16-2015, 10:22 AM
I believe Beilein said they would only accept offers from NCAA or NIT........

joehogjoe
03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Congrats Vandy.

GoDores
03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
It's hit and miss in terms of how to handle the NIT. Obviously teams who were expecting the NCAAT are disappointed, but I think an NIT appearance is absolutely great for a young team like Vandy to keep playing and get more post season experience. NIT was what I hoped this team could get this year and it happened.

I think the NIT is perfect for those mid majors who had great seasons and young teams like Vandy who can really use it to build for next season when expectations rise.

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Bama made it too Joe!

Really Big Bama Fan
03-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Congratulations!

GoDores
03-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Bama made it too Joe!

Any update on what Bama is doing coaching wise?

GDawg88
03-16-2015, 02:31 PM
It's hit and miss in terms of how to handle the NIT. Obviously teams who were expecting the NCAAT are disappointed, but I think an NIT appearance is absolutely great for a young team like Vandy to keep playing and get more post season experience. NIT was what I hoped this team could get this year and it happened.

I think the NIT is perfect for those mid majors who had great seasons and young teams like Vandy who can really use it to build for next season when expectations rise.
I used to hate the NIT, but I've made peace with it now. It's really no different than being in a non-playoff bowl game. The NIT gives fans a chance to keep watching their team and coaches the opportunity to get a longer look at their young players who are coming back next year. I think it's really beneficial for teams to get to play in the NIT.

SCgamecock2988
03-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Arizona State was chosen for the NIT, let's compare resumes:

ASU: 17-15, RPI: 102, SOS: 64, 2-6 against top 50, 6-9 against top 100, 2-12 road record.

SC: 17-16, RPI: 91, SOS: 37, 4-6 against top 50, 7-12 against top 100, 7-10 road record.

Apparently we turned down a CBI bid as most teams in the Power 5 Conferences have agreed to do...not sure why Colorado didn't get the memo (Colorado is in the 2015 CBI field). Oh well, at least we had our first winning season since 2008-09.

GoDores
03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Only thing I can think of is if they didn't want to put 4 SEC teams in, as they already have a league high of 3 in the field.

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Any update on what Bama is doing coaching wise?

Nothing Ive heard except some names like Mike White or as KT mentioned in another thread, Jerod Hasse. He knows the state of Alabama, can recruit, and seems to be a great coach.

I hope we land White or Hasse.

MKfromPA
03-16-2015, 07:40 PM
LET'S GO PITT!!! :towel:

Congrats to the SEC schools that made it: Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Texas A&M.

GoDores
03-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Don't forget too that the NIT is using some experimental rules including a 30 second shot clock and expanding the no charge zone out from 3 feet to 4 feet under the goal.

I think 30 seconds is exactly where the shot clock needs to be. I like that rule and hope it gets adopted.

I don't even know if the no charge zone expansion will even matter. Refs botch this call and call charges way too often anyways. The charge should be one of the harder calls to get unless the offensive player is out of control.

Herchel
03-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Don't forget too that the NIT is using some experimental rules including a 30 second shot clock and expanding the no charge zone out from 3 feet to 4 feet under the goal.

I think 30 seconds is exactly where the shot clock needs to be. I like that rule and hope it gets adopted.

I don't even know if the no charge zone expansion will even matter. Refs botch this call and call charges way too often anyways. The charge should be one of the harder calls to get unless the offensive player is out of control.

Did you watch UGA games this year? Mann's drives that sent him to the line last year were charges this year.

kentubbybasketball
03-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Looking forward to this Bama game in a few minutes just to see what the mood is in the arena. Too bad Murray State is playing and Ole Miss in the NCAAT at the same time.

GoDores
03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
I have two tvs set up in my bonus on fall Saturdays and March. Been doing it for years.

SCgamecock2988
03-17-2015, 09:09 PM
I've got free cable through my dad's ATT UVerse account and CBS through bunny ears and cable box for free through my TV; $0/mo. :)

Bama_Man
03-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Looking forward to this Bama game in a few minutes just to see what the mood is in the arena. Too bad Murray State is playing and Ole Miss in the NCAAT at the same time.

Levi is dominating, 11 points in first 13 mins and Bama up almost 20.

Djshockley3
03-18-2015, 05:02 AM
Bama would play that great now.

Really Big Bama Fan
03-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Bama would play that great now.

Maybe coaching does make a difference.

rolling baby
03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Grant doing half court with this talent was a travesty.

GoDores
03-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Nice job by the Bama guys coming out and playing focused.

Bama_Man
03-18-2015, 12:27 PM
If we play this good, we can beat Miami.

MKfromPA
03-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Congrats on the win, 'Bama. :cheers:

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Maybe coaching does make a difference.

It's the same coaching they've done all year. I read Coach Brannen's comments post game, and he said he kept everything the same as Grant, even down to the terminology. Bama's guys have a chip on their shoulder, and it's their last time playing with Bama on their chest for some of them. (Personally, since UK might be losing some guys I wouldn't mind taking on Norris. He'd look good in blue. Won't happen; just saying many guys are non-committal about their status; one recruit just decommitted).

rolling baby
03-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Bama was running and gunning all night. Grant emphasized waiting until last second before jacking up a shot.

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 09:44 PM
So, you know more than the coach?

xAuBuRn
03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
So, you know more than the coach?

He thinks so.

joehogjoe
03-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Bama made it too Joe!as johnny carson would say I DID not know that.

Congrats.

VandyChuck
03-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Vandy wins @ St. Mary's. Will play against winner of CSU-SDakotaSt. on Friday

GoDores
03-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Vandy played a solid game too. As good of a shooting team as Vandy is, they won without the three ball tonight. So excited about these upcoming years. But excited about this NIT run first.

Vandy is also 9 minutes and a 12 point jackrabbit lead away from hosting too.

joehogjoe
03-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Good win guys.

GoDores
03-19-2015, 01:28 AM
South Dakota St pulled the upset and Vandy gets a home game Friday night. The Jackrabbits looked pretty good too.

MKfromPA
03-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Vandy wins @ St. Mary's. Will play against winner of CSU-SDakotaSt. on Friday

Vandy played a solid game too. As good of a shooting team as Vandy is, they won without the three ball tonight. So excited about these upcoming years. But excited about this NIT run first.

Vandy is also 9 minutes and a 12 point jackrabbit lead away from hosting too.

Congrats on the win, Vandy fans! :cheers: Keep on moving in the NIT.

VandyChuck
03-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Well that was fun. Vandy wins again, this time at home over South Dakota State (the team that boat raced #1 seed Colorado St). Rowdy set of Vandy fans at the game. So much fun. Love watching this team play and what they can be in the future.

Wade Baldwin had 20 pts 10 rebounds and 9 assists. :drool:

VandyChuck
03-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Vandy will play the winner of Stanford and Rhode Island for a chance to move onto the FINAL 4*

*:)

GoDores
03-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Making that game general admission seating let all the die hards get prime seating and the atmosphere was the best its been all year. Hands down.

Vandy also shot over 80% in a half for the second time this year! That's amazing. SDSU was a solid team too. That was a really fun game.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Wade Baldwin had 20 pts 10 rebounds and 9 assists. :drool:

When he plays for the best coach in the nation (his own admission???) isn't that expected?

VandyChuck
03-21-2015, 12:43 PM
What do you expect him to say, KT?? "Except for John Calipari, I play for the best coach in the nation".

Don't get so butthurt. You have a fine coach as well.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Chuck, it was a joke, it was a joke, it was a joke. Let your hair down a little.

FWIW, sure he should've said that about Cal. By anything measurable Cal is the better than Stallings.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Congrats on last night's victory.

VandyChuck
03-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Chuck, it was a joke, it was a joke, it was a joke. Let your hair down a little.

FWIW, sure he should've said that about Cal. By anything measurable Cal is the better than Stallings.

You just can't help yourself can you. Sad.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Again, chuck. JOKE A LITTLE. The comment about Cal was tongue and cheek. This had nothing to do with Cal. You're the one that interjected him into the discussion fwiw.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 04:02 PM
I watched some of Bama's loss today. I'm interested to see what becomes of that roster. I think some players are leaving.

darthvaderbilt
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Cal is the better pro coach

MKfromPA
03-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Good luck against Stanford, Vandy. :cheers:

Bama_Man
03-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I dont see why they would leave. Levi is a senior, but if we hire a decent coach, talent like Taylor, Obasahan, Norris, etc.. should stay put.

kentubbybasketball
03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
I dont see why they would leave. Levi is a senior, but if we hire a decent coach, talent like Taylor, Obasahan, Norris, etc.. should stay put.

Just my impression from reading the comments of the players (and the recruits also). I could be wrong, but many of them really liked Grant.

GoDores
03-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Final 4 Jr. on the line tonight. Vandy at Stanford. Too bad this game isn't in Memorial with as good of an atmosphere as we had last week; it'd be even better this game.

I just like the way Vandy is playing right now. I like them against everyone left in the tourney.

VandyChuck
03-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Stanford wins by 3...season over.

I LOVE making excuses, so I'll just point out that Vandy having to make a Cali-Nashville-back to Cali trip in 6 days isn't all together fair.

Can't wait for next year.

GoDores
03-25-2015, 12:10 AM
There's a whole lot I'd like to say about that game but I'll take the high road.

Simply put: Vandy's basketball rebuilding is done. The fun starts next year.

VandyChuck
03-25-2015, 12:51 AM
There's a whole lot I'd like to say about that game but I'll take the high road.

Simply put: Vandy's basketball rebuilding is done. The fun starts next year.

Baldwin/Mitchell
LaChance/Cressler/Justice
MFD/Roberson/Toye
Kornet/Sehic
Jones/Baptiste

Not altogether sure about Baptiste or Sehic at this point. Completely unproven but highly regarded. Frontcourt foul trouble is a concern. Would love to see a lot of 3 guard lineups. I could write many more pages worth.....so excited already.

GoDores
03-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Baldwin/Mitchell
LaChance/Cressler/Justice
MFD/Roberson/Toye
Kornet/Sehic
Jones/Baptiste

With that lineup, you've got 0 seniors, 3 juniors, 5 sophomores, and 4 freshmen. I see all 12 of those guys as legit contributors, but you can't have a 12 man rotation so I think at least 1 and probably 2 should/need to redshirt. That will also help balance the classes out a little.

The likely candidates to me are Justice, just because he plays a position we're loaded at and the others have the experience edge over him. And then either Baptiste or Sehic, whichever one isn't as ready as the other. Word is that Baptiste is still pretty raw (like Ezeli was), so a RS year could help him.

Here is what yall have to look forward to with Baptiste: just imagine when this guy gets "un-raw"
http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Djery-Workout-BIL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/576130692376981504/eWEnHX9u.jpeg

VandyChuck
03-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Yeah i was hoping Henderson would stick around for a 12th (?) year so that we could redshirt Baptiste. Definitely raw. I hear Sehic is very skilled and likely to contribute right away (kind of a Djurisic type guy for UGA)

I thought the same about Justice until I saw some video on him. He's ready to play, but I think you're right...too many in the backcourt. He'll make a better 5th year senior than a freshmen playing 5 min a game.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Why can't you have a 12 man rotation? Some coaches platoon, and have done well with it. McConathy does. Calipari does.

Bama_Man
03-25-2015, 07:46 PM
I love a good platoon, keeps players fresh especially later in the season. One of the reasons I believe UK is in such great shape, none of their players have had to log 30 minutes per game.

And KT, everyone loved Grant AFAICT, but hopefully we make a good hire and they stick around. I really believe there is talent on the roster, and with the right coach with a little more focus on offense, Alabama could compete. We had an outside shot at the NCAAT if we had beaten Wich. State on the road and won 1-2 more SEC games, we should have won a couple of those close conference games.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Couldn't we all say that though. With a little more focus on offense Kentucky would be better too. The point is many of these guys are going to wait to see who is hired. After that dominos will drop.