Anthony Grant fired [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Grant fired

XPS
03-15-2015, 05:32 PM
No surprise

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Yeah, you still hate that for what seems to be one of the most caring individuals in this business. He was such a hotshot name out of VCU. Someone on that level would be silly to not scoop him up. It was clear this would happen, because of what happened to Hobbs and Gottfried before him.

To me this is the best job that's available. Adding Pearl in state didn't help. Grant just isn't rah rah like Pearl, and you gotta think Bama wanted that. Grant dealt with so many injuries to end this season. It just sucks to see anybody lose their job.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 05:47 PM
I would also add that Wichita State really derailed his career some. The NIT title game loss and then really the loss to them this year when they had WSU beat and couldn't solve their press to end that game. With that win, who knows what confidence they might have brought to the SEC. Levi Randolph just didn't get much help this year.

Yet any time an AD puts out a vote of confidence for you, you have to do really good the next year, and unfortunately in this culture it's about the Ws and Ls.

XPS
03-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Will Billy D open up a spot for Grant?

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 05:53 PM
I kind of think the writing was on the wall when he didn't seem to make the effort to sell the program. Alabama used to have an identity.

Every Sec school has the ability to be a quality program

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 05:54 PM
XPS, the timing seems a bit off to me. Bama should be an NIT team IMO. I wonder if he coaches them or not in that? Either way, Bama will get a lot of interest in this job. Michael White and Steve Prohm are obvious guys. The only thing with Prohm is he comes from Murray just like Mark Gottfried did. Would Bama do the unthinkable and hire Rick Stansbury? How about that?

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 05:57 PM
D got a spot open for Pel. D has always liked having former head coaches even with Larry Shyatt helping them to get to the defense that led to two national titles. Does McCall leave for a head job? I think Grant will have opportunities to be a head coach or even an NBA scout.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 06:39 PM
I would also add that Wichita State really derailed his career some. The NIT title game loss and then really the loss to them this year when they had WSU beat and couldn't solve their press to end that game. With that win, who knows what confidence they might have brought to the SEC. Levi Randolph just didn't get much help this year.

Yet any time an AD puts out a vote of confidence for you, you have to do really good the next year, and unfortunately in this culture it's about the Ws and Ls.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Freaking Wichita State man, they cost AG his job. If we had sealed the win this year, its likely we would have been on the bubble for a tournament bid. It was not his fault the team lost the game, one of the best FT shooters in the nation misses a FT, up by double digits and the players fall to pieces against the press, etc...

I like Grant as a person, but I am not sure he is cut out for coaching at Alabama. He is a great person, wonderful, but I dont know if any coach would have won at Alabama under the circumstances.

There was talent on the roster this year but injuries killed us. I really believe Alabama could have been the 4th or 5th best SEC team if we had been healthy all year. We beat TAMU once with relative ease, beat UCLA (tourney team), but the nail biter loss to WSU and the loss to Florida in the SECT killed us.

I hope the best for Grant, and who the hell knows who gets fired as his replacement.

GoDores
03-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Rough planning by the Alabama AD. Bama made the nit and has a home game no less.

Did the AD not expect an invite?

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Mal Moore fired Gottfried in January or February. Different AD now but it's how Bama does things.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Trying to get a jump on recruiting for 2015-16, but Bill Battle should have let Grant coach in the NIT before firing him.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Yeah, you still hate that for what seems to be one of the most caring individuals in this business. He was such a hotshot name out of VCU. Someone on that level would be silly to not scoop him up. It was clear this would happen, because of what happened to Hobbs and Gottfried before him.

To me this is the best job that's available. Adding Pearl in state didn't help. Grant just isn't rah rah like Pearl, and you gotta think Bama wanted that. Grant dealt with so many injuries to end this season. It just sucks to see anybody lose their job.

predictable kentubby post.

rolling baby
03-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Archie Miller
Ben Howland
Bryce Drew
Bobby Hurley
Michael White

Very deep pool of coaching candidates.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-16-2015, 12:26 AM
Archie Miller
Ben Howland
Bryce Drew
Bobby Hurley
Michael White

What about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Gottfried

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Bryce Drew? lol cmon now RB

GDawg88
03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Bryce Drew? lol cmon now RB
He's 94-41 at Valpo and has them in the Big Dance. He's a very qualified candidate.

Mike White would be the guy I'd go after, though. Not only does he win, his teams are aesthetically pleasing. He reminds me a lot of a young Pearl.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 03:57 PM
White does need to finally win the big one. I agree. He would be my pick. What about Jerod Hasse though? He knows the state and he wins.

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Bryce Drew is like 25 years old lol, I dunno if he can handle Alabama.

I would love Mike White, but KT's suggestion is awesome, Hasse knows the state and is a wonderful coach.

GDawg88
03-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Bryce Drew is like 25 years old lol, I dunno if he can handle Alabama.

I would love Mike White, but KT's suggestion is awesome, Hasse knows the state and is a wonderful coach.
He's definitely older than 25. He hit that shot against Ole Miss when I was like 9 years old.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 07:05 PM
I just don't think Bryce Drew is a legit option. He doesn't move the needle, and let's face it Bama has to win this press conference since Auburn won theirs last year. Drew plays more of a halfcourt system, and he's not the self-promoter either. Bama wants someone closer to Pearl than Grant IMO.

Friedchickenman
03-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Trying to get a jump on recruiting for 2015-16, but Bill Battle should have let Grant coach in the NIT before firing him.

What if Bama won it? I actually agree with the decision, there's no reason to wait if you know it's what you want to do with your program.

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 09:47 PM
What if Bama won it? I actually agree with the decision, there's no reason to wait if you know it's what you want to do with your program.

I know its the right decision for hte program, but I like Grant a lot as a person and would have liked to seen him be able to play the season out. but youre right

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 09:48 PM
I know Drew is older than 25, I was being facetious. He is a younger guy, and he isnt the coach Bama needs IMO.

BamaHoHo
03-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Archie Miller
Ben Howland
Bryce Drew
Bobby Hurley
Michael White

My money is on Steve Prohm.

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm hearing speculation for Tom Crean. He's made some comments to make you think he's leaving Indiana. Bill Battle wants a big name people are saying.

I still stick with my first guy: Steve Prohm. He graduated from Bama afterall.

rolling baby
03-18-2015, 10:40 AM
How hard is it to win at Murray state? Pass on Prohm, it'll be mark gottfired all over again.

Hell no to Crean. IU needs to man up and fire him.

Bryce Drew is forty years old.

Bama_Man
03-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Still dont like Bryce Drew, Id rather Mike White or Jerod Hasse

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
rb, I didn't realize Bama was in a position to act like prima donnas. It's not football. You'd be fortunate to get any coach that would be in the top 7 coaches in the SEC IMO. It's very hard to win at a place like Murray State or any low major for that matter. You have to recruit the scraps of what's left behind. You can't just schedule anybody. You have a lighter budget. Considerign Bama has been to one Elite 8 in its history, Tom Crean would be a steal. Afterall, Crean would have to show Bama what a final four looks like.

rolling baby
03-18-2015, 07:46 PM
If sc can get frank martin, miami can get jim larraganga, and ou has Lon Krueger then I don't see why Bama can aspire to the same with its money. My choices are perfectly reasonable.

Dominating at Murray St.. Is not impressive. Prohm is garbage against any team with a pulse including Valparaiso. Bama doesn't need another good ole boy hire bc it will be mark gottfired redux while bruce pearl is kicking our teeth in. We hire crean or Prohm and I'm rooting against them.

Dwayne Wade made Crean, who's ugly btw.

xAuBuRn
03-18-2015, 08:14 PM
If sc can get frank martin, miami can get jim larraganga, and ou has Lon Krueger then I don't see why Bama can aspire to the same with its money. My choices are perfectly reasonable.

Dominating at Murray St.. Is not impressive. Prohm is garbage against any team with a pulse including Valparaiso. Bama doesn't need another good ole boy hire bc it will be mark gottfired redux while bruce pearl is kicking our teeth in. We hire crean or Prohm and I'm rooting against them.

Rooting against them.... Haha

I am taking it that you are angry.

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Ummm exactly. If those schools can get those guys, IU should strive for someone else on that level, which would be Tom Crean.

We just won't see eye to eye, because when I see Gottfried. I see a guy that has taken you to your only Elite 8.... IN SCHOOL HISTORY! A guy who got your first #1 ranking. A guy that won the SEC (2002), and he got to the SEC finals in 2002 also. That's why Bama is in this sorry predicament right now. You fired a guy midseason that was one of your three best coaches ever. Perhaps next time Bama has a modicum of success they'll appreciate it. Although i guess Gottfried is probably happy. He's got a better job now and has yet to miss the NCAAT there in four years.

rolling baby
03-19-2015, 12:11 AM
That elite eight was a fluke. He underachieved with a team that had Erwin Dudley and mo williams. Gottfired assistant coaches are prob. Better at nc state. But those fans are already drooling for Archie miller.

rolling baby
03-19-2015, 12:12 AM
To ken, I guess mark banging a coed isn't an issue.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 06:51 AM
That's just rumor mill to me. Unsubstantiated.

Of course the NCAAT is fluky by nature. But beating the reigning national Champs in the Sweet 16 is not a fluke.

Speaking of Archie Miller his own run to the Elite 8 was a fluke last year with how the draw just opened up. It happens.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 03:30 PM
White does need to finally win the big one. I agree. He would be my pick. What about Jerod Hasse though? He knows the state and he wins.

Hasse looks even better for Bama after the upset of Iowa State today in the NCAAT. ISU was getting some final four love.

BamaHoHo
03-21-2015, 06:52 AM
The decline of Alabama Basketball started when we hired David Hobbs.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Hobbs wasn't Wimp but clearly Gottfried had success. I'm not sure I'd agree that it was a steady decline. Wimp himself had several disappointments.

RollTide86
03-26-2015, 01:34 PM
1. Greg Marshall
2. Shaka Smart

Wont get either most likely, but that's how priority should be

after them, Just go with White or Prohm and call it a day. Most likely Prohm since he would at least be at his dream job

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2015, 04:03 PM
I like Shaka Smart and don't get me wrong here, but how long do you bank off one NCAAT run, even if it was a great one from First Four to Final Four. He's not won two NCAAT since then. The style is fun. He's got a great personality, and looks great. He'd be a great hire for anybody, but his results are starting to wane a bit.

georgiaguy31015
03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Word is that Texas will have their new coach within a week and their top two choices are Smart and Marshall. That tells me that they got one of them and it's already a done deal and odds are that's why Barnes was fired.

kentubbybasketball
03-28-2015, 11:24 PM
They have to be the top 2. Texas is a job that one of them will bite on too.

rolling baby
04-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Archie Miller
Ben Howland
Bryce Drew
Bobby Hurley
Michael White

Looks like I was right to not include Marshall in that list. Battle got played.

GDawg88
04-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Looks like Avery Johnson is the pick.

kentubbybasketball
04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
What do you think about that? I'm just not sure about that one.

GDawg88
04-05-2015, 03:04 PM
What do you think about that? I'm just not sure about that one.
It strikes me as a very weird fit. Johnson is an NBA lifer.

Dawgilicious
04-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Yeah def a weird fit. Do we know for facts who else they interviewed?

kentubbybasketball
04-05-2015, 03:20 PM
It strikes me as a very weird fit. Johnson is an NBA lifer.

Not only that but as an analyst he covered the NBA too. His staff will be of utmost significance. Barnes, Howland, and Johnson. Gotta say the firstt two are homeruns.

rolling baby
04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Who did Fred Hoiberg coach before Iowa? That guy at Utah? Hurley at Buffalo? The old days of grabbing a tud from a mid major is over....its a new world out there.

Chris Jans would be a assistant coach. Double Mike Davis coaching salary and he can become our recruiting guy.

kentubbybasketball
04-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Hoiberg went to his Alma mater in a city he grew up in. Little K was at Montana and then went to the NBA before Utah.

Why would Chris Jans go to Bama over Wichita St when his old spot there is open? Why would Mike Davis leave a head coaching spot for an assistant job just because he knows the state?

kentubbybasketball
04-07-2015, 02:24 PM
One thing to keep an eye on btw about Avery Johnson... does he get some of TAMU's top 3 recruiting class to switch to Bama. Think about it, the word is he steered those guys to TAMU in the first place to play with his son. Perhaps Battle recruited Johnson on that pretense. Who knows?