2015 NCAA Tournament Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NCAA Tournament Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I'll start this thread early, because of something I read today that caught me off guard. Perhaps I'm the only person in the world that didn't realize this was how the selection committee does this. However, they sent out a message yesterday saying that 37 bids have already been accounted for. There are 11 automatic bids obviously. The other 26 bids are at-large terms. I suppose this is teams that are in no matter what happens in conference tournaments. I didn't realize the committee already slotted those teams in before the weekend.

Either way, this leaves only 31 spots for "bubble teams." Interesting. From the SEC, I'd imagine Kentucky, Georgia, and Arkansas would be among those 26 at-large teams should they not win the SECT.

JDThirstyAg
03-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Just curious, did the selection committee happen to say if this was how this had been done for some time now or was this a new wrinkle introduced this year?

Interesting information.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2015, 07:11 PM
No that wasn't specified. With the advent of social media they decided to post it on their twitter feed this year. I'm not sure if this is typical procedure in the past or not tho.

joehogjoe
03-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Are you saying the teams know their bids or just that they are in no matter. Good find btw.

Dawgilicious
03-13-2015, 02:52 AM
The teams prob don't know, just the committee putting down who is in regardless so they can speed the process up and really concentrate on the bubble teams.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2015, 03:24 AM
Are you saying the teams know their bids or just that they are in no matter. Good find btw.
The obvious teams like Virginia know they are in. A team like Texas is more fluid and I assume the committee doesn't even know for sure if they are in or out.

kentubbybasketball
03-13-2015, 03:42 AM
It's a fluid situation and bubble teams are losing a lot this week. There aren't many if any bid thief either. Who know how these conference tourneys will end?

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2015, 02:11 PM
If it wasn't certain before, I think the ACC semifinals last night effectively have made UK the overall #1 seed regardless of what happens in the SECT. As Cal said, if we lose in the SECT, we'll still be the same seed. No pressure on these guys!

We were the first ever overall #1 seed in 2004 when the committee started the designation. We have been the overall #1 also in 2012. Too bad it doesn't guarantee anything.

GoDores
03-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Tubby you've said there's 2 teams who can beat Kentucky. Who are those 2 teams for you?

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2015, 02:28 PM
I don't remember saying that. But, I do think Wisconsin wants us after last year's Final four. They aren't all that deep tho. I think Duke could because of Okafor, but Ulis has Jones' number from AAU. Iowa State and Gonzaga have enough offense. Defense tho??? Virginia clearly can defend. Can they score enough on us? Who's pace wins out tho in a battle of wills.

GoDores
03-14-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't know that I'd be worried about Iowa st. Certainly not before Notre dame.
Maybe gonzaga, maybe duke.

Definitely Wisconsin and UVA.

I never pick the favorite to win it all because I'm an underdog guy, but I'd take Virginia over UK right now. Low scoring game for sure and I think Virginia would control tempo and be able to execute more effectively in their offensive system in the halfcourt.

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Who knows? Not really Dame can be blown out also. Teams that shoot well like ISU give us trouble. Sure Jeri an Grant fills up every Stat line but there's something about them that makes me think we'd dominate inside.

UVa might wanna play slow but we aren't just going to let that happen either. It's easier to slow ppl down and UVA does play good transition D bc they only send two guys to the glass... that works against most. Against UK tho? Who knows?

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Wisconsin needs a 1 seed if they win dual B1G titles.

georgiaguy31015
03-14-2015, 03:50 PM
The NCAA issued a statement today saying that UK will be the number 1 number 1 seed regardless of what happens tomorrow.

kentubbybasketball
03-14-2015, 04:07 PM
I didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing. No pressure for our guys in the SEC title game tomorrow.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Ready for the selection show to see our field and when we play. Who is in our way?

I think is Wisky wins the B1G tourney they are a one. Zags may be our 2 seed altho the geography wouldn't make sense.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 03:50 PM
I bet Wichita State is a 4 or 5 seed in our region also, setting up the obvious storyline.

Djshockley3
03-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Starting to wonder if UGA even gets in.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't be too worried if I were UGA honestly. The only issue with UGA is that the resume is not very eye-popping in terms of good or bad. Nothing really stands out either way. However, there are some schools that have hurt themselves much worse.

This UConn-SMU game is huge for any bubble team. The selection committee chair said they have a bracket with and without UConn, which tells me UConn is out if they lose (which isn't a shock), but if UConn ends up coming back they are literally stealing somebody's spot, whoever is the top seed in the NIT, since they actually are seeding the top 4 seeds as the first four out of the NCAAT.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Selection show time.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Purdue has size to challenge UK. Cincy's D is tough.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Steve Masiello is a UK alum.

Maryland could be tough in the Sweet 16. They seem tougher than Kansas, as does Notre Dame.

Fortunate to have Kansas as our 2 seed. They'll be out for revenge. Called Wichita State in our region.

It's a easier region than we had last year seemingly, so that's nice. Still gotta lace up and play.

GoDores
03-15-2015, 06:09 PM
That's as easy of a path to the final four as UK could have asked for.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Congrats on the #1 overall.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 06:12 PM
That's as easy of a path to the final four as UK could have asked for.
Agree. That region is cake.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:13 PM
LSU as a 9 seed! Wow. NC State will be tough for either LSU or Nova.

Northern Iowa is a 5. That's crazy. They are better than that.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Ouch. Michigan State in the first round, and if we somehow survive that, we get Virginia.

Just glad we got in.

kentubbybasketball

Glad to see UVa on the other half as a 2 seed. Thought they'd be a 1.

I agree with you. but Maryland and ND won't be easy if we play them.

kentubbybasketball
Georgia!!!!!#!### yeah buddy!

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Villanova has a tough region imo.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:17 PM

Glad to see UVa on the other half as a 2 seed. Thought they'd be a 1.

I agree with you. but Maryland and ND won't be easy if we play them.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Georgia and Lsu. Clark predicted LSU to make it to the 2nd weekend. Wow

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Three SEC teams in. Ark will get in too. That might be it.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Looks like Wisconsin will be on our half of the bracket.

Duke has a walk to the Sweet 16. Sorry SDSU or St. John's.

Utah could be the 5 seed that's upset this year. SFAustin is good. Love Walkup.

Go Gonzaga! Crash the final four. Clark thinks they will.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:25 PM
I kinda like Iowa State and Gonzaga to matchup up. THey could putt up 200 combined.

UCLA is in??? Really?

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Arkansas will be in the same region as Wisconsin. Go ahead and beat them for us!

I don't think Ole Miss or TAMU are in the field with only one region left. Duke's region is pretty easy IMO, as is UK's. Nothing is guaranteed though. Both Duke and UK could lose, but that's been my title game pick all year long. I'm sticking with it. Villanova has a tough bracket though.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:28 PM
HOGS out west

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Zona will be out for revenge vs Wisky in the Elite 8 after last yr.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Go Arkansas!! Good luck.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Wisconsin's region is stacked too. BO Ryan, Sean Miller, Roy Williams, Shaka Smart, Mike Anderson, Mike Davis, Scott Drew. Talk about coaching. Those are all elite 8 coaches from the past.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:33 PM
Out west in Jacksonville fl vs Wofford, Gottlieb picked them in an upset.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Om vs Byu.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Whew Ole Miss got in. Yes!!!!!!!!!!

5 bids. Sorry TAMU.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Colorado St and Temple top 35 RPIs left out. Can't really call them snubs though.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:38 PM
TAMU will be back with a vengeance next year.

XPS
03-15-2015, 06:40 PM
UK got the toughest 3 seed in the tournament in ND the ACC tournament champs.

kentubbybasketball
Duke - Kentucky title game is my pick. That would be huge for this sport.

GDawg88
I like Kentucky in the Midwest, Arizona in the West, and Duke in the South. I need to look into it further, but I'm leaning toward Northern Iowa or Oklahoma coming out of the East.

UK over Duke in the final.

XPS
Arkansas can and will beat UNC who plays 0 defense.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
UK got the toughest 3 seed in the tournament in ND the ACC tournament champs.

Yeah overall we can't complain.

Maryland concerns me some. Dez Wells might not have a match up for us. He could drive us into a loss. Melo Trimble is a player too. The only thing is they like to drive and we do have size

ND seems like they could be upset too if their shots aren't falling.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Miami won 11 games on the road and didn't get in.

Wish Murray was in. :(

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale are going at it on ESPN over Murray State. This is intense.

XPS
03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Did Duke get the easiest bracket of all time???? Wtf

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Vitale ends the exchange saying he might not be back at ESPN next year.

joehogjoe
03-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Arkansas can and will beat UNC who plays 0 defense.gosh over at the Hog board fans are crying about what a bad draw. Hell we haven't been in the dance in 7 years. I love it. Anytime you can play a perennial power is great. I'm not forgetting Wofford either. First things first.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Did Duke get the easiest bracket of all time???? Wtf
I'm looking at Iowa State as a team that could come out of that region, though I'm picking Duke.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Out west in Jacksonville fl vs Wofford, Gottlieb picked them in an upset.

Gottlieb is an idiot, hell I believe Arkansas has a shot at beating Wisconsin potentially. They can beat UNC first then beat Wisconsin

LSU can also give Villanova A TON of fits

XPS
03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Georgetown a 4 sees are you serious what a bleeping joke

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:49 PM
I agree. Duke's region has some trouble at the bottom at least.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Arkansas is a high-variance team. They could lose to Wofford or make the Elite Eight. Neither would surprise me.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale are going at it on ESPN over Murray State. This is intense.

No surprise Bilas was right, Murray State winning 25 games in a row means nothing if youve beat nobody. Ole Miss, LSU, Indiana all had a better RPI than Murray State.

Murray State's non-conference RPI was in the 200's. 0 top 50 RPI wins (only three games against top 100 teams all year), lost to a **** Houston team, and their best win is Illinois State. LOLOL

Hell I'd take Alabama's resumes over Murray State's. Beating nobodies should not mean much.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Georgetown a 4 sees are you serious what a bleeping joke

I cant see on what planet that Georgetown deserves the same seed as Maryland.
Who has Georgetown beat? Their RPI is 20; Maryland's is nine!

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Predictions, anyone? Final Four? Upsets? Champion?

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Calhoun and Bilas are the only analysts on here with street cred. The rest of these clowns suck.

F*** Dan Dakich.

XPS
03-15-2015, 07:00 PM
I cant see on what planet that Georgetown deserves the same seed as Maryland.
Who has Georgetown beat? Their RPI is 20; Maryland's is nine!

I agree 100% Maryland is a legit team who would stomp a mud hole in Georgetowns azz. I really believe UK got the toughest 3 and 4 seed in the field. I'm not even worried about Kansas.

XPS
03-15-2015, 07:02 PM
The way Michigan St has been playing, GA gets a red hot team right of the bat.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 07:03 PM
The way Michigan St has been playing, GA gets a red hot team right of the bat.
That's about the worst draw we could have gotten. It will be a very short dance for us.

Djshockley3
03-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Bad matchup for UGA for sure, but man I am just excited to make it.

MKfromPA
03-15-2015, 07:08 PM
IMO, Virginia got screwed out of a #1. I think they are more deserving than Duke. Duke didn't even play for the ACCT final. UVA won the ACC regular season championship. What a snub.

XPS
03-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Bad matchup for UGA for sure, but man I am just excited to make it.

For future recruiting alone making the Ncaa T is a huge bonus.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 07:20 PM
XPS is reading my mind. I dont see how the overall #1 seed UK has to face BY FAR the most under-seeded team in the bracket with Maryland as a four in their bracket.

UM fans are pissed, they should be. I cannot see how Oklahoma deserves a 3-seed ahead of Maryland. Same with Baylor.

On paper (and the eye test), Maryland is better than Baylor. If Maryland had won the B10 tourney, I would have had them as a two seed! Their RPI is nine, meaning by the RPI, they are one of the top 10 teams in the nation. 1-seeds are four teams, two seeds make it eight teams, then you have Maryland. They should have been the top 3-seed, not the bottom 4-seed.

Its a tough bracket to pick except for the obvious. Ive already penciled in UK as my national champs.

I am close to picking Arkansas to upset Wisconsin. Arkansas can take them out of their game, and they have players like Maryland did to beat Wisconsin.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 07:23 PM
IMO, Virginia got screwed out of a #1. I think they are more deserving than Duke. Duke didn't even play for the ACCT final. UVA won the ACC regular season championship. What a snub.

its because of how they have looked since the Anderson injury. If he was healthy, they likely pull a double and win the ACCT and be a #1 seed over Duke or Villanova.

XPS
03-15-2015, 07:26 PM
XPS is reading my mind. I dont see how the overall #1 seed UK has to face BY FAR the most under-seeded team in the bracket with Maryland as a four in their bracket.

UM fans are pissed, they should be. I cannot see how Oklahoma deserves a 3-seed ahead of Maryland. Same with Baylor.

On paper (and the eye test), Maryland is better than Baylor. If Maryland had won the B10 tourney, I would have had them as a two seed! Their RPI is nine, meaning by the RPI, they are one of the top 10 teams in the nation. 1-seeds are four teams, two seeds make it eight teams, then you have Maryland. They should have been the top 3-seed, not the bottom 4-seed.

Its a tough bracket to pick except for the obvious. Ive already penciled in UK as my national champs.

I am close to picking Arkansas to upset Wisconsin. Arkansas can take them out of their game, and they have players like Maryland did to beat Wisconsin.

I agree about Arkansas who shouldn't be judged on the performance vs UK. The Hogs are a dangerous team. Maryland and ND will be a tough out, but if UK brings it they will prevail.

MKfromPA
03-15-2015, 07:28 PM
its because of how they have looked since the Anderson injury. If he was healthy, they likely pull a double and win the ACCT and be a #1 seed over Duke or Villanova.

I thought the committee is no longer "weighing" parts of the season. My understanding is they are evaluating the entire season as one.

XPS
03-15-2015, 07:32 PM
I thought the committee is no longer "weighing" parts of the season. My understanding is they are evaluating the entire season as one.

With UCLA in the field the committee needs to pass pass and then puff.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 07:33 PM

They can say what they want, but they obviously factored that in because somehow Duke got a 1-seed and Wisconsin got a 1-seed and UVA got a 2-seed. Villanova would have been a 2-seed and UVA a 1-seed if Anderson was healthy and UVA was playing at their peak. I do not believe UVA is at their peak right now, or I would possibly have them playing for a national title against UK.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 07:34 PM
With UCLA in the field the committee needs to pass pass and then puff.

UCLA lost to Alabama FFS, and scored SEVEN POINTS IN A HALF against UK.

Because of those two facts alone, TAMU/Temple (who beat Kansas)/Miami all deserved it more than UCLA.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I agree about Arkansas who shouldn't be judged on the performance vs UK. The Hogs are a dangerous team. Maryland and ND will be a tough out, but if UK brings it they will prevail.

ND does play up to their competition, but I really believe Maryland is a better team overall IMO and has a better shot at beating UK. I would put UM's chances at like 20% while ND at about 15% lol.

Early match up talk, would Cal put WCS on Dez Wells? Maryland's bigs aren't great (they have one decent big that can go inside-out IIRC) so will they put the best defender in the nation on Wells and possibly risk getting him in foul trouble? Nobody gets to the line like Wells, he is one of the best in the nation at getting to the stripe and he and Trimble both are excellent FT shooters.

Honest to God, if you put Maryland in ANY other bracket, I might have them in the Final Four. I love that team, and think they are criminally underrated.

MKfromPA
03-15-2015, 07:42 PM
ND does play up to their competition, but I really believe Maryland is a better team overall IMO and has a better shot at beating UK. I would put UM's chances at like 20% while ND at about 15% lol.

Early match up talk, would Cal put WCS on Dez Wells? Maryland's bigs aren't great (they have one decent big that can go inside-out IIRC) so will they put the best defender in the nation on Wells and possibly risk getting him in foul trouble? Nobody gets to the line like Wells, he is one of the best in the nation at getting to the stripe and he and Trimble both are excellent FT shooters.

Honest to God, if you put Maryland in ANY other bracket, I might have them in the Final Four. I love that team, and think they are criminally underrated.

Wholeheartedly agree. Mark Turgeon has done a tremendous job this season. Turgeon has finally broken through to the dance after 3 years of failing to reach the dance and having to settle for the NIT or nothing. Has to be a candidate for B1G coach of the year.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 08:27 PM
I agree 100% Maryland is a legit team who would stomp a mud hole in Georgetowns azz. I really believe UK got the toughest 3 and 4 seed in the field. I'm not even worried about Kansas.
If we play Kansas, the #1 recruiting class could be on the line. Top 2 in all-time wins. They will want some revenge after earlier.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Duke won head to head and beat Wisconsin on the road. I think the committee did a good job.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Wholeheartedly agree. Mark Turgeon has done a tremendous job this season. Turgeon has finally broken through to the dance after 3 years of failing to reach the dance and having to settle for the NIT or nothing. Has to be a candidate for B1G coach of the year.

We owe Maryland one after 2002.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
If we play Kansas, the #1 recruiting class could be on the line. Top 2 in all-time wins. They will want some revenge after earlier.

Doesn't matter if KU does want revenge, they will not get it. Ellis isn't 100% healthy, and they are not that much better today than they were when UK beat them by 70. They are good, deserve a high seed, but they offer nothing to UK IMO. There are only 3-4 realistically that can beat UK, teams like Wisconsin, Duke, UVA (if healthy), maybe one more but that's assuming UK isnt playing close to their best. UK at 90% is better than any other school at 100% this season, a team is gonna have to catch UK on a bad day to win but I dont think KU is capable of forcing UK to have that kind of game.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Bama_Man dropping truth bombs left and right in this thread.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 08:44 PM
GD88, who wold concern you more for UK in the "third" round: Cincy or Purdue?

XPS
03-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Doesn't matter if KU does want revenge, they will not get it. Ellis isn't 100% healthy, and they are not that much better today than they were when UK beat them by 70. They are good, deserve a high seed, but they offer nothing to UK IMO. There are only 3-4 realistically that can beat UK, teams like Wisconsin, Duke, UVA (if healthy), maybe one more but that's assuming UK isnt playing close to their best. UK at 90% is better than any other school at 100% this season, a team is gonna have to catch UK on a bad day to win but I dont think KU is capable of forcing UK to have that kind of game.

KU is ripe for the upset and will never make it to UK. I thought Iowa St, Maryland and ND just to name a few deserved the 2 seed over Kansas.

Dawgilicious
03-15-2015, 09:05 PM
We will see what the dawgs can do. MSU is not a bad matchup and UVA also

I know you didnt ask but I will answer and say Purdue, only because they have 2 7 footers, but UK should be able to handle purdue because they dont have enough power to go blow for blow with you guys for 40 minutes

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 09:07 PM
I disagree KU didn't deserve to be a 2. They played the toughest schedule, won the toughest league and made its title game. What else has lower seeded teams done to be better? This isn't about the eye test. Eye test they don't have Cliff Alexander, they're not a 2. But, they earned that seed.

GoDores
03-15-2015, 09:13 PM
I hate it when the committee does this to me. I really liked Wisconsin Arizona and Baylor and they put them all in the same dang region.

GDawg88
03-15-2015, 09:14 PM
GD88, who wold concern you more for UK in the "third" round: Cincy or Purdue?
Neither would concern me, but I agree with 'Licious that Purdue has the size to at least somewhat mitigate UK's advantage in the post.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Purdue is playing much better and hitting their stride, I think they beat Cincy and are clearly a tougher test for UK.

Just means UK will win by 30 instead of 40 lol

KT, can we put this little bitch fest between us to rest? We disagree about the SEC POY, fine. But this is not about that, and we have similar opinions on basketball. Youve stated before on several occasions that you respect my basketball knowledge and you know I respect yours, so how bout we let that mess go and have civil discussions about the NCAAAT?

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 09:45 PM
I disagree KU didn't deserve to be a 2. They played the toughest schedule, won the toughest league and made its title game. What else has lower seeded teams done to be better? This isn't about the eye test. Eye test they don't have Cliff Alexander, they're not a 2. But, they earned that seed.

Agreed. KU maybe did not look as sexy as UVA or Gonzaga, but they played literally the toughest schedule in the nation and won arguably the best conference in the regular season and likely won the B12 tourney if Perry Ellis was 100% and Alexander was healthy.

kentubbybasketball
03-15-2015, 10:06 PM
We owe Maryland one after 2002.

Purdue is playing much better and hitting their stride, I think they beat Cincy and are clearly a tougher test for UK.

Just means UK will win by 30 instead of 40 lol

KT, can we put this little bitch fest between us to rest? We disagree about the SEC POY, fine. But this is not about that, and we have similar opinions on basketball. Youve stated before on several occasions that you respect my basketball knowledge and you know I respect yours, so how bout we let that mess go and have civil discussions about the NCAAAT?

Okay. I'm down with that. I always have respected your opinion. I defer to you on the NBA in particular. I get passionate about things and it gets the best of me. I've been ignoring joe and dawgilicious also, but I won't anymore.

you just gotta understand UK fans are protective over WCS. He's our one non McDonald's AA and he didn't think he could play here. His injury cost us a title last year, and we get defensive when people rag on him or if it is perceived. Perhaps that sheds some light on why I was so mad at you. I apologize tho.

Check you PMs.

Bama_Man
03-15-2015, 10:17 PM
yep, glad we are back on speaking terms.

Dawgilicious
03-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Here is one for you, Uk fans or whomever:

So I am in a fantasy draft Tuesday (you get 20 players and one point for every point they score).

If you have the #1 pick who do you take from UK?

GoDores
03-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Another random thought: Kentucky and Iowa st in Louisville...that's a tough ticket. Iowa st has a great fan base.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 06:23 AM
They don't travel on our level tho. Clearly it'll be easier for us to get there also.

GoDores
03-16-2015, 10:45 AM
We'll see. Did you see the Big 12 title game? Iowa St dwarfed Kansas fans and the game was in Kansas City. Dwarfed them inside and outside the arena where they were showing the game on a big screen. I was really surprised by that.

I don't think it will have an impact on games in this region, but every fan at the games that is not wearing blue will be cheering for the Kentucky opposition. Point still remains the same though, that will be by far the most difficult ticket I bet.

GR8NESS
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM

So I am in a fantasy draft Tuesday (you get 20 players and one point for every point they score).

Towns. He's the only guy I see putting up the numbers you need. Maybe Booker.

GR8NESS
03-16-2015, 11:15 AM
We'll see. Did you see the Big 12 title game? Iowa St dwarfed Kansas fans and the game was in Kansas City. Dwarfed them inside and outside the arena where they were showing the game on a big screen. I was really surprised by that.

I don't think it will have an impact on games in this region, but every fan at the games that is not wearing blue will be cheering for the Kentucky opposition. Point still remains the same though, that will be by far the most difficult ticket I bet.

UK fans have gobbled up tickets to Louisville for months. The session with both teams will be 90% UK, 5% UofL/Corporate, 5 Iowa State.

GoDores
03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Thats true. Kentucky mostly knew they were going to be in Louisville and Iowa St didn't until it was announced. Tough break Cyclones.

MissKitty
03-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Andrew

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 12:57 PM
I would take Towns, he contributes points consistently and gets rebounds and blocks.

Second would be the higher scoring Harrison, Andrew IIRC.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 03:32 PM

Right, but what you are saying and what was asked are two different things. Chances are there will be more UK fans than anything in Louisville. Cleveland, if we make it, would be a different story.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 03:37 PM
As far as who I would take with a #1 pick from UK. How can you really answer that question without knowing more.

If I want a shooter, I'm taking Devin Booker.

If I want a clutch player, I'm taking Aaron Harrison.

If I want a point guard, I'm taking Andrew Harrison.

If I want a guard who changes the game on defense, I'm taking Tyler Ulis.

If I want an energy guy, I'm taking Willie Cauley-Stein. He's definitely my favorite player.

If I want offensive and defensive versatility, I'm taking Trey Lyles. He can play 3-5 on offense. He can guard any position on the court. He might be my overall pick, but....

If I want the player best equipped to contribute day one, I'm taking Karl-Anthony Towns.

I think the make up of your roster would determine a lot as far who you would take. I think an argument could be made for all 7 of our top 7 guys. The thing that separates UK from Texas (who has similar size) is that all of our guys are different. Texas has too many guys that provide the same thing, which creates the logjam they have.

Dawgilicious
03-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks,

It is all based on who will score the most points throughout the tournament since thats all the scoring is based on

GDawg88
03-16-2015, 04:25 PM
It seems like every year there's one guy who ends up taking over the tournament, whether it's a Shabazz Napier or an Anthony Davis or a Kemba Walker. That's what I'm looking for out of Towns. I think this is going to be his March Madness. He gets better every time I watch him.

SCgamecock2988
03-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Anyone doing a CBS bracket challenge? Sky?

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
If you guys do a bracket challenge I am in. If no one does one by tomorrow, Ill start one on Yahoo.

I believe there are a couple guys that are the break out players of the tournament. One is Dez Wells if Maryland somehow upset UK and make a deep run; a guy like Niang at Iowa State; and the SMU PG, Moore maybe? The AAC POY and possibly a break out player.

I also believe an SEC guy could fill that role. It could be Mickey or Martin if they beat Villanova or Portis if Arkansas makes a run.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Those are all known guys. To me a break out guy is more like Aaron Harrison was last year; a guy from out of nowhere that puts an indelible mark on the tourney. Anthony Davis and Kemba Walker were already All-Americans before those NCAATs started.

Here's to hoping KAT is a player that goes off in the postseason. He didn't put in his best work in the SECT that's for sure. However, at UK, we have to be careful when we complain about somebody else not "showing up," because if KAT had gone off, then WCS wouldn't have. The way WCS was playing, KAT wasn't needed all that much.

MKfromPA
03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Duke won head to head and beat Wisconsin on the road. I think the committee did a good job.

OK. That's fair. However I believe a fully healthy UVA team can beat Duke. And maybe a little bias, but Duke always receives "favoritism". UVA had an outstanding year. If it was really a coin toss, why not give the nod to the Cavs?

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM
I agree, but you can't gloss over Duke's resume. Resume wise Duke is better than UVa. If we are simply going to overlook resumes, where is Murray State's bid?

Bama_Man
03-16-2015, 09:49 PM
UVA does hold a win over Maryland, that helped their resume, but Dukes head to head win gave them the 1-seed.

And KT, thats why I mentioned the PG from SMU. He isnt known nationally but is capable of having a great run.

kentubbybasketball
03-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Duke's win over Wisconsin was just as big honestly.

I can go with Nic Moore, although he is well-known too. Was he AAC POY?

Bama_Man
03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Yup KT, Moore was AAC POY.

kentubbybasketball
03-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Looking like Hampton will face Kentucky in the second round after beating Manhattan in the first four. Can't believe the tourney has started.

Hampton is somewhat small. They have some injuries, including Chevious who rolled his ankle. Some of you might remember Chevious from UT when Cuonzo Martin was there.

kentubbybasketball
03-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Looking like Hampton will face Kentucky in the second round after beating Manhattan in the first four. Can't believe the tourney has started.

Hampton is somewhat small. They have some injuries, including Chevious who rolled his ankle. Some of you might remember Chevious from UT when Cuonzo Martin was there.

Dawgilicious
03-18-2015, 02:33 AM
Hampton is also missing their leading scorer, man it might be 60-20 at halftime

Bama_Man
03-18-2015, 12:28 PM
UCLA only scored 7 points against UK in first half, Hampton might get ten.

MKfromPA
03-18-2015, 05:22 PM
I agree, but you can't gloss over Duke's resume. Resume wise Duke is better than UVa. If we are simply going to overlook resumes, where is Murray State's bid?

I'm with you on Murray State. How the heck did UCLA make it over a team like that? The committee makes questionable decisions every year. This year, that was one of them.

I was not glossing over Duke's resume. I just believe UVA is a superior team to Duke and deserved a #1 instead. However, I see your point concerning Duke has a strong profile coupled with their head-to-head victory over Virginia.

Bama_Man
03-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Murray State did not have the argument that Miami or Temple had IMO

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm with you on Murray State. How the heck did UCLA make it over a team like that? The committee makes questionable decisions every year. This year, that was one of them.

I was not glossing over Duke's resume. I just believe UVA is a superior team to Duke and deserved a #1 instead. However, I see your point concerning Duke has a strong profile coupled with their head-to-head victory over Virginia.

The selection process is subjective to begin with. They have to have some objective points they look at to seed teams. Even then the process is still subjective. Duke deserved that #1 given what the committee says they value.

As for Murray, I agree with you MK (as usual). I would have like to have seen Murray in. If you're awarding excellence, which IMO should be among the criteria, they should be in. Who cares what Miami did (lol), they are in a big leauge with several chances to not be medicore..yet they were still mediocre. We have to do something to level the playing field for the Murrays of the world honeslty, or let's just do college football and have 4 or 8 teams vying for the top spot. If we're arguing about Murray or Miami, what's the point? UCLA gets in being 2-9 or something vs really good teams and they have chance after chance through scheduling. The committee says they used the eye test heavily on UCLA... what eye test, they finished like 3-4 their last 7 games and made an okay run to the Pac 12 semis. I mean, really come on. My eyes tell me Murray should have been in if that's the case.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 03:30 PM
How does Iowa State lose to UAB? This is probably the first really bad loss of Hoiberg's tenure there. They normally play above their seed.

Herchel
03-19-2015, 03:38 PM
How does Iowa State lose to UAB? This is probably the first really bad loss of Hoiberg's tenure there. They normally play above their seed.
ND almost lost.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Yeah I know. We UK fans were hoping they'd go ahead and lose.

Another #3 seed bites the dust, as it looks like Ga St. just got Baylor. That's an upset that many predicted though. Ga St. has four high major guys in Washington, Harrow, Ware, and Hunter.

Djshockley3
03-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot, Iowa St.

MKfromPA
03-19-2015, 04:45 PM
ND almost lost.

Would've been great to see the Irish go down. That is, after the talking heads were hyping them up to make a deep run.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Yeah I know. We UK fans were hoping they'd go ahead and lose.

Another #3 seed bites the dust, as it looks like Ga St. just got Baylor. That's an upset that many predicted though. Ga St. has four high major guys in Washington, Harrow, Ware, and Hunter.

No one who watched the Ga State v. Georgia Southern game would have predicted that - that game was UGLY.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:02 PM
SMU looks terrible today. Hope they escape.

Herchel
03-19-2015, 05:07 PM
The vaunted Big 12 is a smooth 0-3 after the 1st day.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Anybody that's watched all year long though knows Ga State has hit the transfer market to get high caliber talent. They are the Iowa State of the mid majors.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Anybody that's watched all year long though knows Ga State has hit the transfer market to get high caliber talent. They are the Iowa State of the mid majors.

I understand your point, but if you watched that Georgia State v. Georgia Southern game, that was UGLY.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:24 PM
SMU lost on a BS call.

Bubba
03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
SMU lost on a BS call.

Busted my bracket. I had them in elite 8

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Sure, but teams look ugly one day and better the next. Considering Ga St lost in the title game last year, they were tight.

What an ending to the UCLA game. It was a good call. Why doesn't the SMU guy just let the ball miss (it was clearly going wide right) and go get the rebound. Also, the turnover the play before that by SMU was just bad. SMU just went brain dead on the last two possessions of the game. Larry Brown's 6 game NCAAT winning streak is now snapped.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:28 PM
SMU choked - no doubt, but that was a bad call as even the UCLA coach seemed to recognize.

xAuBuRn
03-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Still perfect...

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/entry?entryID=1981057 ( ending soon though)

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Watching the replay. no way that should have been goal tending. Here is the vine:

https://vine.co/v/OYz6FvUz2Qj

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 05:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAfaHnFUcAAQCL4.jpg

NOT goaltending. The ball had gone PAST the hoop. Absolutely awful call.

GoDores
03-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Still perfect...

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/entry?entryID=1981057 ( ending soon though)

That's incredible

Herchel
03-19-2015, 06:10 PM
SMU was screwed and tattooed, not that I care.

TexasFight
03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
The Texas-Butler game was like watching old people ****. Awful game.

deterp
03-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Northern Indiana heartbreak coming up with Notre Dame playing Butler.

Djshockley3
03-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Bracket is already done after 1 day. lol

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Utah is controlling SF Austin. I'm surprised. I had the upset here.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAfaHnFUcAAQCL4.jpg

NOT goaltending. The ball had gone PAST the hoop. Absolutely awful call.
You can't mess with the ball on the way down. That's called goaltending no matter what. Maybe the rule should be changed but by the rules it is the right call.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 09:11 PM
UNC had Harvard down and has let them come back. Roy has never lost in the Round of 64!

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 09:34 PM
You can't mess with the ball on the way down. That's called goaltending no matter what. Maybe the rule should be changed but by the rules it is the right call.

Every rebound is a ball on the way down. That was an air ball and a horrible call.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Every rebound is a ball on the way down. That was an air ball and a horrible call.

No it is not. Most rebounds hit the rim or glass and then it is grabbbed.

Dawg in Dallas
03-19-2015, 09:41 PM
And after it hits the rim, the ball comes down.

In your interpretation of the rule most alleyoops are goal tends, no one could ever rebound an airball.

That was a bad call, most agree.

xAuBuRn
03-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Hampton 9

Kentucky 9

Lulz not going to last long though...

GDawg88
03-19-2015, 10:37 PM
The great state of Texas really let me down today.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8pjwvRAmL1qhbes1o1_500.jpg

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 10:39 PM
And after it hits the rim, the ball comes down.

In your interpretation of the rule most alleyoops are goal tends, no one could ever rebound an airball.

That was a bad call, most agree.

Interesting Clerk Kellogg said it was "clearly" the right call.

Either way I don't care. SMU had a brain fart the last minute.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Lethargic start by Kentucky altho WCS will have 20 rebs the way this is going.

Bama_Man
03-19-2015, 10:46 PM
**** the B12. I had Iowa State winning three games. Baylor only one, but had Texas winning too.

Hoping LSU and Arkansas hold up, I have both winning another game.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Aaron Harrison and Devin Booker ARE MIA this first half. WCS and Johnson are missing shots at the rim. WCS is doing the a Moses Malone miss it and get the rebound to pad your totals.

Impressed with the poise of Lyles and KAT, just dominant inside. Trey Lyles is so vastly undervalued nationally it's gross.

Fortunately Andrew came alive the final four mins. of the half.

We have to improve on offense. Sorta putrid out there.

GDawg88
03-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Oh my god, make a free throw, LSU.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 11:27 PM
LSU loses at the buzzer again. I know I rag on Johnny Jones a lot bit his game management has been poor this year. He has to get some guards that can handle better. I'm not sure of Blakeney is the guy or not but to not be winning with these two aircraft carriers has to be a disaapointment.

LSU missed the last 12 field goals of their season.

GDawg88
03-19-2015, 11:27 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME LSU?????

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/017/318/angry_pepe.jpg

XPS
03-19-2015, 11:30 PM
A fitting end to LSU's season and Jones is a terrible coach.

GDawg88
03-19-2015, 11:31 PM
I've lost four games by one point today. Iowa State, Baylor, SMU, and LSU.

I can't take anymore of this. I need to go to bed.

XPS
03-19-2015, 11:32 PM
LSU loses at the buzzer again. I know I rag on Johnny Jones a lot bit his game management has been poor this year. He has to get some guards that can handle better. I'm not sure of Blakeney is the guy or not but to not be winning with these two aircraft carriers has to be a disaapointment.

LSU missed the last 12 field goals of their season.

Talent can only take you so far, people always says Cal just rolls the ball out. LSU is a prime example talent needs coaching.

XPS
03-19-2015, 11:33 PM

I would have lost my house on Iowa St I still can't believe it.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Of course but Johnny Jones did a good job as interim at Memphis the yr before Cal came. I think the guards just aren't the best at LSU this yr.

XPS
03-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Of course but Johnny Jones did a good job as interim at Memphis the yr before Cal came. I think the guards just aren't the best at LSU this yr.

Second best roster in the SEC in my opinion KT. Jones is just terrible, the players play off the coach and in this case LSU players choked. I honestly don't know what the highly rated players are thinking a one and done will not be ideal under Jones. But, Jones did play under Dale Brown who couldn't even coach one of the most talented teams of all time with Chris Jackson Shaq and Stanley Roberts to sweet 16.

Storm
03-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Talent can only take you so far, people always says Cal just rolls the ball out. LSU is a prime example talent needs coaching.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the talent at Kentucky is higher than the talent at LSU.

XPS
03-20-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the talent at Kentucky is higher than the talent at LSU.

Who is saying otherwise?

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 12:32 AM

Wouldn't LSU be the second most talented in the SEC tho?

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 12:36 AM
5 one point games is a record. HOGS couldn't hit a free throw, couldn't get open and yet won. Kentucky is rolling but that's a rarity today. So exciting today.
What a good start to the NCAAS.

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Wouldn't LSU be the second most talented in the SEC tho?No...

Just Some Hog Dude
03-20-2015, 01:48 AM

Yeah, me too.

Djshockley3
03-20-2015, 04:44 AM
Wouldn't LSU be the second most talented in the SEC tho?

Yes....

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 06:31 AM
And, LSU left some on the table this yr.

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Yes....lack of depth says no

Just Some Hog Dude
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
SMU got robbed.

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 09:34 AM
No. Ucla deserved the win.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Somehow I'm tied for first (w/ 1 other person) in my work pool of 14 people after the first day. But took a hit losing 2 Sweet 16 teams (Baylor and Iowa State) and a final four team in Iowa State. We award bonus points for any upset that isn't a 9 over an 8 and I picked Ohio State and UCLA. SMU got screwed but I sure needed the win.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2015, 09:38 AM
I've got Arkansas beating UNC then bowing out but I would've sacrificed my bracket to see Wofford win. I was almost right when I said Arkansas would lose their opening game no matter who it was..

Bubba
03-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I've got Arkansas beating UNC then bowing out but I would've sacrificed my bracket to see Wofford win. I was almost right when I said Arkansas would lose their opening game no matter who it was..

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What a failure of life this bottom feeder is!
You weren't ALMOST right, you were dead fking wrong!!!! DA! Eat my a$$& you piece of@@&&&;&

You need to worry about your bottom feeding cocks not making ANY post season, while they're at home with a finger up their as$$es pumping gas at an inbred owned station.

SCgamecock2988
03-20-2015, 09:51 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/4f63914cebb691eb91a5e0d23a0c4088/tumblr_inline_ndqc17q6TM1sqqavy.jpg

Storm
03-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Somehow I'm tied for first (w/ 1 other person) in my work pool of 14 people after the first day. But took a hit losing 2 Sweet 16 teams (Baylor and Iowa State) and a final four team in Iowa State. We award bonus points for any upset that isn't a 9 over an 8 and I picked Ohio State and UCLA. SMU got screwed but I sure needed the win.

SMU screwed themselves. It wasn't a a popular call, but it was the right one. .

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 10:25 AM
woo pig sooie

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 10:27 AM

That LSU collapse was on the scale of 1945 Japan. :rnt:

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
The great state of Texas really let me down today.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8pjwvRAmL1qhbes1o1_500.jpg

Texas had no bizznizz even being in the tourney given the last half of the season record. Texas got in because the state of Texas has roughly 36 million people, about 12% of the nation's population. Media graphics steer the boat...It's nothing new.

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 10:58 AM

But you were WRONG. The Hogs survived. Even had they lost it would not have been because of your reasonings. You are just another person here that isn't a basketball guru despite the self endorsements.

It was just one of those days and I am hoping today plays out similarly.

it goes without saying but I will anyway Woooo Pig Sooiee.

dnmuga93
03-20-2015, 01:31 PM
UGA down 13 at the half.

We can't throw it in the ocean. Missed WAY too many close in shots...

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Go Dogs.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 01:50 PM
SMU screwed themselves. It wasn't a a popular call, but it was the right one. .

No it wasn't - people ignore the part of the rule that says the ball must have a possibility of going in. There was no such possibility. Not to mention the ref the FURTHEST way from the play made the call.

GoDores
03-20-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't know if that was a goaltending call by the book or not, the ball definitely wasn't going in. But if that's a goaltend, then there's a lot of offensive goaltending on alley-oops and lobs that aren't called correctly.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't know if that was a goaltending call by the book or not, the ball definitely wasn't going in. But if that's a goaltend, then there's a lot of offensive goaltending on alley-oops and lobs that aren't called correctly.

Here is the rule with the pertinent portion highlighted:

“Violations- Goaltending. (Rule 9-17.5). When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim on a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.”

I don't see how ANYONE could say there was a possibility of that ball going in the hoop.

Bama_Man
03-20-2015, 02:38 PM
yeah it was the wrong call, but that happens all the time in college basketball, one bad call being the deciding factor in a close game at the end.

as an SMU alum, I am sure you are PISSED as you should be, but those things happen and it sucks but its reality.

It sucks for Nick Moore, one of my breakout predictions, because he had a wonderful game but got unlucky with that last call going against his team and advancing.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 02:52 PM
yeah it was the wrong call, but that happens all the time in college basketball, one bad call being the deciding factor in a close game at the end.

as an SMU alum, I am sure you are PISSED as you should be, but those things happen and it sucks but its reality.

It sucks for Nick Moore, one of my breakout predictions, because he had a wonderful game but got unlucky with that last call going against his team and advancing.

The game was lost because SMU couldn't hold a 7 point lead with a minute left, the goal tending call was just the icing on the cake - but not the real deciding factor.

But it is past time for me to move on and not continue to moan about it. Other more relevant to this board things are happening daily.

XPS
03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Atleast the Dawgs showed some fight.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Atleast the Dawgs showed some fight.

At least. Moral victories and all. :cry:

Djshockley3
03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Way too many turnovers in the first half, and we could just not make big shots when we needed them.

Storm
03-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Here is the rule with the pertinent portion highlighted:

“Violations- Goaltending. (Rule 9-17.5). When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim on a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.”

I don't see how ANYONE could say there was a possibility of that ball going in the hoop.

It was going to hit the rim. If it's going to hit the rim there is ALWAYS a possibility of a crazy bounce and it go in.

Well, at least I think it was going to hit the rim. That's why it was called goaltending, because the defender swatted it away on it's downward arc before it had a chance. You can be mad at the rule all you want, but it is the right call. Be mad at the player who had a mental breakdown and did that. That's just basic fundamentals on a play like that. You don't foul the shooter, and you don't do anything remotely close to being called for a goal tend.

AND, SMU had two good looks to win the game as well after that call.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 03:07 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/img_1496.jpg?w=1024&h=768

That doesn't look like a ball about to hit the rim Storm. I don't know what you saw.

Djshockley3
03-20-2015, 03:10 PM
UGA just lost and you guys are talking about a game from yesterday. lol

joehogjoe
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Tough break for Georgia. Stuck at work so I can't watch.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM
UGA just lost and you guys are talking about a game from yesterday. lol

I am trying to move on, but can't help responding.

That UGA effort in the first half was not good.

Dawgilicious
03-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Just got back from the game. Ugh, turnovers kill ya, but we never quit

GDawg88
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Frazier pulled a disappearing act in the last two games. We need more consistency out of him next year.

Not a bad effort by UGA overall. Too many missed opportunities around the rim proved costly.

Getting to the Big Dance was the goal this year, so I'm not disappointed. Now the bar needs to be raised. Fox is on the clock to win a game or two in March.

Dr.SwineSmeller
03-20-2015, 03:43 PM
This game on right now is a good one.

Storm
03-20-2015, 03:48 PM
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/img_1496.jpg?w=1024&h=768

That doesn't look like a ball about to hit the rim Storm. I don't know what you saw.

The angle of the replay you show is based upon your argument.

https://usatsportspsa.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/goaltend.gif

It was clearly going to hit off of the iron, which is by definition, "in the cylinder."

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2015, 03:50 PM
No it wasn't - people ignore the part of the rule that says the ball must have a possibility of going in. There was no such possibility. Not to mention the ref the FURTHEST way from the play made the call.

Anytime the trajectory of the ball is on the way down and you touch it before it hits the rim, it's a goaltend. There are plenty of goaltends called that we never know if it has a possibility of going in or not, because someone touched it too soon. Perhaps the way goaltends are normally called is wrong, based of what you've shown in that rule in post 190.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Anytime the trajectory of the ball is on the way down and you touch it before it hits the rim, it's a goaltend. There are plenty of goaltends called that we never know if it has a possibility of going in or not, because someone touched it too soon. Perhaps the way goaltends are normally called is wrong, based of what you've shown in that rule in post 190.

Shut your mouth son. SMU GOT ROBBED! Case closed.

Dawg in Dallas
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
The angle of the replay you show is based upon your argument.

https://usatsportspsa.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/goaltend.gif

It was clearly going to hit off of the iron, which is by definition, "in the cylinder."

No it isn't - that is silly. The video that you show comes into the frame AFTER the SMU player has hit the ball.

Even assuming it was going to hit the rim - which is very questionable - there are many ways a ball can hit the rim and have no possibility of going into the basket.

Do you think that ball had any shot whatsoever of going into the basket?

Herchel
03-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Fortunately I was driving 300 miles and did not watch the game.

Storm
03-21-2015, 12:48 AM
No it isn't - that is silly. The video that you show comes into the frame AFTER the SMU player has hit the ball.

Even assuming it was going to hit the rim - which is very questionable - there are many ways a ball can hit the rim and have no possibility of going into the basket.

Do you think that ball had any shot whatsoever of going into the basket?

I'll never know if it had a shot of going in, because it was goaltended.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Truthfully that's the end of the discussion. It's the very definition of "goaltending. "

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 02:19 PM
UCLA in the Sweet 16. Huge after how bad they looked vs UK. Kudos to them altho they still didn't have a resume.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Congrats to the all time title winning team in the tourney. First to the sweet sixteen.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 02:29 PM
UK and UNC have more wins joe.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 02:30 PM
No they dont. Reread my post.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Nice edit.

Ready to see how UK plays against Cincy. Should be physical. Does KAT shy away from it all? That's how he's played some. It'll be neat to see how the game goes. Cincy will run some when given the chance, but it will come down to who gets and makes the best shots and thru contact. If the refs have a tight whistle hope we're ready to make our free throws today.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 02:52 PM
This is the kind of game where Devin Booker could jumpstart his offense. Cincy loves to send 3 or 4 guys to the glass. Booker is great at leaking out, which could get him going if Cincy doesn't get back.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Typical Cal being a dick to the young lady at the half.

Wcs had a yawn dunk. All his dunks are yawn. But it's a 100% shot so go for it wcs.

All 7 footers dunk with little style

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 03:50 PM
First Half Analysis vs UCincy

-If this were a fight. We would have lost. Any rebound that involved a tussle, we lost. I mean any rebound. Guys are just allowing themselves to get pushed around, too easily. It happened to both WCS and KAT this half. They have one rebound between them. One! If it weren't for Trey Lyles our rebounding numbers would look even worse. He's working on a triple double The only positive about WCS and KAT not playing well is it allowed Lyles to slide down to the 4, which is maybe advantageous for him

-Aaron Harrison's shooting has kept us in it. That three he hit to go up seven was huge. He and Booker are still pretty cold.

-Andrew Harrison hasn't been a factor. I gotta think he'll have a better second half.

-Devin Booker gave us some good defense. His activity on offense has been nice. Eventually his shots will go down.

-KAT has to stop throwing up wild shots that have no shot at going in. Get it back out and repost.

-I love how we're drawing fouls. We're making the foul shots too. I think we have to keep being aggressive. Keep pushing it when we can. Be addressive on offense. Push the envelope.

-Lastly, that Willie Cauley-Stein dunk was something else. We were down 1 at that point, and it ignited a 10-0 run to end the first half. The play after that WCS ran the floor hard. I think it sorta picked us up.

We are definitely not out of the woods yet. This is our biggest lead of the game so far, so that's nice. We have the momentum. Seven points in this game seems like more, but a few defensive laspes and it's a tied game again.

XPS
03-21-2015, 03:51 PM
UCLA being in the sweet 16 is crazy and Joe quit being a hater that dunk was sick.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
UCLA being in the sweet 16 is crazy and Joe quit being a hater that dunk was sick.

Willie's the best dunker in the SEC that I can remember since Anthony Davis. Where he took off was crazy, and to finish thru contact was huge. Then, it completely shut Cincy's water off. They didn't score after that in the first half. To me the best dunkers make it count more than two points, and that dunk was worth more when you factor in the momentum swing it provided. Instead of being down 2 at half, we're up 7.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
It'll be Sportscenter top 10 for sure.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Don't get why Lyles takes the free throws on a common foul with no one at the line. Plus the refs iced him by taking forever to make their call.

Cincy is trying to get in our heads. Glad Willie has settled us a bit.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 04:31 PM
How we are +1 on the glass. I do not know. We can't seem to grab one. Cincy sends 3 or 4 guys to the glass, but we have to use our length to an advantage.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 04:53 PM
UCLA being in the sweet 16 is crazy and Joe quit being a hater that dunk was sick.it was dull. Very dull and boring.

Tall guy dunks < small guy dunks.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Looks like we are going to pull this out! 36-0. That's the best start any team has ever had to a season. EVER!!!!

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Both Harrisons and Ulis have had chances to pass the ball on brakes or drives and have chosen to take it. Seems unusual given the normalcy of passing foe lobs this season.

XPS
03-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Thug ball at its finest. I can't not wait for UNC vs Arkansas it's going to be fun.go Hogs...

Dawg in Dallas
03-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Kentucky has as great a mental makeup as they have physical talent.

I have become more and more impressed with this exceptional group of men, and their coach.

They play well with no d howboating and have handled/embraced the challenge of going undefeated.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 05:02 PM
#3 for UK is just the best pg in the country.

That should have been a charge on Wcs

XPS
03-21-2015, 05:04 PM
#3 for UK is just the best pg in the country.

That should have been a charge on Wcs

The dudes rep got him the foul and yes Tyler is really good to be his size and just a freshman.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 05:09 PM
It helps having great finishers.

I want to see the charge block rule change. To much offensive initiated contact in the game today. It always goes against the defense but it needs to go against the offense. On of many changes that need to be made to the game

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Kentucky has as great a mental makeup as they have physical talent.

I have become more and more impressed with this exceptional group of men, and their coach.

They play well with no d howboating and have handled/embraced the challenge of going undefeated.

I was thinking the same thing, DiD. Cincy was trying to get in our heads. Octavious Ellis was clearly instigating. We plowed thru. WCS hit a drop stop move and blocked a shot. We had momentum again. It is nice to have a junior in WCS to lead us out of that.

You should post in this forum more. Altho we rarely agree, I respect your opinion a lot.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 05:10 PM
KENTUCKY is the second team in the Sweet Sixteen. 4 more steps to history.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 05:11 PM
XPS, Cal has been to every single Sweet 16 since 2006, except for the year Noel went down with the injury at Florida. Think about that. 9 of 10 Sweet 16s. That is incredible.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm most proud of how we won here. UC played their game. Held us to a slow pace and only allowed 64 points. We were able to beat them at their game in a way we don't want to play. I love the versatility of this team.

Boy do we need Devin Booker tho. His defense was good.

Lyles was ferocious on the glass. WCS and KAT need to take notes today. Physical teams just make us more uncomfortable.

Herchel
Congrats, UK.

XPS
XPS, Cal has been to every single Sweet 16 since 2006, except for the year Noel went down with the injury at Florida. Think about that. 9 of 10 Sweet 16s. That is incredible.

For a guy that just rolls the ball out, not bad.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Next up. West Virginia or Maryland. Staten can go off for WVU, while Maryland has Trimble and Wells but lack back to basket scoring outside of Dodd.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 05:19 PM

The Calipari File:
NATIONAL TITLE
3 title games
5 final fours
9 Elite 8
12 Sweet 16s
NBA Playoffs
2 unbeaten SEC seasons
83% winning at UK
13 conference titles
12 conference tourney titles.... best of all

1 Hall of Fame invite

Dawg in Dallas
03-21-2015, 05:40 PM
I was thinking the same thing, DiD. Cincy was trying to get in our heads. Octavious Ellis was clearly instigating. We plowed thru. WCS hit a drop stop move and blocked a shot. We had momentum again. It is nice to have a junior in WCS to lead us out of that.

You should post in this forum more. Altho we rarely agree, I respect your opinion a lot.

Well thanks, but my BB knowledge is limited. I enjoy reading more informed folks like you.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks. You've shown this tourney that you can hang with any of us.

TexasFight
03-21-2015, 06:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pARFcJQclCc

You could do well to learn from that. So could Calipari if he's as insecure about it as you are.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 06:40 PM
The Calipari File:
NATIONAL TITLE
3 title games
5 final fours
9 Elite 8
12 Sweet 16s
NBA Playoffs
2 unbeaten SEC seasons
83% winning at UK
13 conference titles
12 conference tourney titles.... best of all

1 Hall of Fame invite

Perhaps you should change your name to Kencaligari or Kencali, Tubby is ancient history.

kentubbybasketball
03-21-2015, 06:50 PM
I've had this name for so long now. But, Cal is really up there with Tubby in my book. Tubby's still my #1. Cal is 1B, tho. I consider myself lucky to have been a UK fan while these two have coached here. Tubby's not ancient history though. He'll be back in Rupp soon to get his jersey retired.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 07:04 PM
I was not insulting you by the way. Cal is your coach and Tubby is in the weak 12.

joehogjoe
03-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Arizona is kinda Kentucky lite.

XPS
03-21-2015, 07:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pARFcJQclCc

You could do well to learn from that. So could Calipari if he's as insecure about it as you are.

You have your sarcasm button off????

TexasFight
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
You have your sarcasm button off????

Is your question mark key bro-k-k-k-ken? Passive-aggressive behavior is often passed off as sarcasm. Just admit that it bothers you when people try to discredit Calipari. You'll feel better.

MKfromPA
03-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Go Butler, beat Notre Damn tonight! :towel: My Dad is a BU alumnus.

Bama_Man
03-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Qualls at Arkansas is BY FAR the best dunker in the SEC this year, WCS isnt the best dunker in the conference. Go check Qualls' highlight reel